PDA

View Full Version : Jailed Rapist Wins $12 Million Lotto

ZaZu
08-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Britain Moves Against Windfall for Rapist

LONDON (AP) - Home Secretary David Blunkett said Thursday he plans to bar convicted felons from benefiting from financial windfalls while behind bars after a jailed rapist won 7 million pounds (US$12.6 million) on the national lottery.

Blunkett said that proposed legislation before parliament would force offenders who won the lottery or other wealthy criminals to contribute to a compensation fund for victims of crime.

His comments follow public outrage in Britain over the lottery win of convicted rapist Iorworth Hoare, who was on day release from his low-security prison when he bought the winning ticket on Saturday.

We can't stop a prisoner or their family from buying a ticket, but we can look closely at making sure they don't benefit from a single penny while in prison,'' he added.

Hoare was jailed between 1973 and 1987 for a series of sex attacks on women. He was returned to prison in 1989 for attempting to rape a 60-year-old woman in a park.

Prison officials said Hoare has been moved to a closed prison following his lottery win for his safety.

Neil Sugarman, a lawyer specializing in personal injury and compensation claims, said some of Hoare's victims may be able to claim a share of his newfound wealth.

The biggest difficulty any claimant will face is the limitation periods, and generally speaking ... you are looking at three years,'' Sugarman said. ``But someone assaulted before that period may be able to say they didn't take any action at the time because the offender had no money.''

Source (http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?photoid=/cp/news/top/i/rapistlotto.jpg&floc=FF-APO-PLS&idq=/ff/story/0001/20040812/1716057286.htm)

Timz
08-15-2004, 02:13 AM
just goes to show, even criminals, ppl in jail have more luck then you... ;)

tesco
08-15-2004, 02:53 AM
my aunt, 2 years ago, won $250,000 (canadian).

it was great for her though becuase she needed an operation...expensive one + was in debt + had no job + lived with her sister. :lol:

it fixed her life for her and she now works at walmart and lives in an apartment. :)

JONNO_CELEBS
08-15-2004, 07:38 AM
There's 2 sides to this.

1 is the guy won the money fair and square, he's served his time so he should be allowed to keep it.

2 is his victims will live with it for the rest of their lives and I agree with his ex wife that the money should be split between his victims and he should have had his dick cut off anyway :angry:
Low life cowardly piece of shit :angry:

Jonno B)

TheDave
08-15-2004, 05:20 PM
its as far as if a homeless guy, bill gates or a saint won it.

maybe he should pay the family some kind of compensation though

Smith
08-16-2004, 07:18 PM
well thats fucked up...

Busyman
08-16-2004, 07:38 PM
I agree with them trying to change the law to disallow prisoners to benefit.

However, this guy, regarding this case, owes nothing to the victims if the statute of limitations has run out. If he wants to be good-hearted that's another story.

I guess if a victim had filed a civil suit around the time of the crime then whenever he got money it would go to said victims.

vidcc
08-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@16 August 2004 - 13:39

I guess if a victim had filed a civil suit around the time of the crime then whenever he got money it would go to said victims.
certainly when he commited the crime and probably now the "lawsuit" system in the UK where this happened are very different to the USA.

bigboab
08-16-2004, 09:24 PM
They could charge him for the imprisonment costs. They should do that with anyone who makes a lot of money illegally too.

Busyman
08-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@16 August 2004 - 17:25
They could charge him for the imprisonment costs. They should do that with anyone who makes a lot of money illegally too.
They have to make it law first.

Cheese
08-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+17 August 2004 - 00:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman &#064; 17 August 2004 - 00:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@16 August 2004 - 17:25
They have to make it law first. [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m a bit drunk right now but charging someone money to "stay" in jail sounds like a great idea. Of course only if they have over a certain amount of money. and perhaps only a token amount. But say, a millionaire goes to jail he should pay a part of his upkeep.

Good idea, maybe not when I sober up but hey...

Edit: They could call it &#39;Jail Tax&#39; :01:

Busyman
08-17-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese+16 August 2004 - 20:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese @ 16 August 2004 - 20:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@17 August 2004 - 00:50
<!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@16 August 2004 - 17:25
They have to make it law first.
I&#39;m a bit drunk right now but charging someone money to "stay" in jail sounds like a great idea. Of course only if they have over a certain amount of money. and perhaps only a token amount. But say, a millionaire goes to jail he should pay a part of his upkeep.

Good idea, maybe not when I sober up but hey...

Edit: They could call it &#39;Jail Tax&#39; :01: [/b][/quote]
I shouldn&#39;t have to pay shit if you put me there. :lol: :lol: