PDA

View Full Version : The Media Uses Incorrect Grammar...

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Ever since the Gulf War, years ago, I remember hearing that the USA sent 50,00 'troops'.

I thought, "Holy Crap, that has got to be a half of a million guys!", because a troop is a cavalry unit, with at least 10 guys in it.

When I was a boyscout, I belonged to a "troop", however my troop had 12 kids in it.

Remember the TV show called F TROOP? Each guy was a Trooper.

So, the media should have said that the USA sent over 50,000 troopers.

A sheriff or State Policeman is a trooper. As in State Trooper. NOT State Troop.

Visit the Merriam-Webster (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=troop) online dictionary.

-------Or if you are too lazy, read below--------

Pronunciation: 'trüp
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French trope, troupe company, herd, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English thorp, throp village -- more at THROP (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=thorp)
Date: 1545
1 a : a group of soldiers b : a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company c plural : ARMED FORCES (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=armed+forces), SOLDIERS (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=soldiers)
2 : a collection of people or things : CREW (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=crew+) 2
3 : a flock of mammals or birds
4 : the basic organizational unit of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts under an adult leader

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 12:44 AM
A few more "pet peeves of mine"

A near miss! Two planes almost collide into each other. WRONG! To me, a "Near Miss' is a direct hit. It should be stated as a "near hit".

I need to cool off, it is hot in here. Wrong! I need to "cool on", it is hot in here.

When on a high ladder, you need to tie off. Wrong, you need to "tie on"!

He always talks behind my back. Wrong, if he is talking behind your back, then he is really talking in front of you. Should be "talking in front of your back".

The siren just went off! Wrong! The siren just "went ON".

Barely Legal teens Wrong! Should be barely ILLEGAL Teens. The day before I was 18 years old, I was BARELY LEGAL (but still illegal).

-----Do you have any to add to the list?-----

:huh:

Skillian
03-24-2003, 01:02 AM
One to add:

It is spelt grammar, not grammer. ;)

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Skillian@24 March 2003 - 02:02
One to add:

It is spelt grammar, not grammer. ;)
I tried to edit that, but the forum only allows you to edit the contents.
I may be good at GRAMMAR, but not spelling.

Skweeky
03-24-2003, 02:26 AM
/me hugs Spindulik!!

finally, I've found someone who thinks about this the same way as I do!!
I used to go through the newspapers and the magazines to correct the grammar and spellingmistakes, thank god I&#39;m over that now, but I still hate reading these kind of errors in newspapers. <_<

Bender
03-24-2003, 02:36 AM
I edited the title, Spindulik. ;)

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Bender@24 March 2003 - 03:36
I edited the title, Spindulik. ;)
Thanks&#33;

Z
03-24-2003, 03:45 AM
actually, a troop is a soldier. one guy. :P

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by lil_z@24 March 2003 - 04:45
actually, a troop is a soldier. one guy. :P
I am sorry you are absolutely wrong. Look in any dictionary from long ago or today. Look in the library.

Click this link and see. (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=troop)

Z
03-24-2003, 03:54 AM
no im too lazy. when they (news or whoever) refers to troops, they mean one soldier.
dont lie&#33; :P

DataMore
03-24-2003, 04:05 AM
:D How about Bush always saying "nucular" instead of nuclear. :D

Z
03-24-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by DataMore@24 March 2003 - 05:05
:D How about Bush always saying "nucular" instead of nuclear. :D
thats funny. like homer simpson&#33; :lol: :lol:

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by lil_z@24 March 2003 - 04:54
no im too lazy. when they (news or whoever) refers to troops, they mean one soldier.
dont lie&#33; :P
I don&#39;t lie. The media is completely wrong. Ask any teacher or professor of the English language. Bring a dictionary with you.

As a matter of fact, I had an article (by me) published at my local newspaper about the word TROOP being used incorrectly by the media. This was back during the Gulf War. "The Grammar Lady" (a weekly columnist of the newspaper) agreed with me 100%.

Now here is a tip. the Englih evolves with the times. The word "troop" may come to have a new meaning or usage. It has to be used incorrectly long enough and accepted, to be offically changed (except for ebonics, which is a joke).

Z
03-24-2003, 04:13 AM
wow, u try too hard. so when they say troops on the news, how do u take it? u think it should mean 10 x as many actual people? weird. :P

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by lil_z@24 March 2003 - 05:13
wow, u try too hard.&nbsp; so when they say troops on the news, how do u take it?&nbsp; u think it should mean 10 x as many actual people? weird.&nbsp; :P
I know that the media is screwed up, so I take it as "they mean it". Just like having a conversation with someone who speaks ebonic.

Here is an example of evolving English. GET your old dictionary from the attic and look up the word "often". The "t&#39; is silent. Because so many people have used the word incorrectly for so long, the &#39;t" is no longer silent. So now both versions are acceptle. Real speakers of traditional language (who are usually noted as being quite articulate) will use the silent version. It is more proper.

DataMore
03-24-2003, 04:48 AM
So how do you say it:

"Grammar errors" or "grammatical errors"? :huh:

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by DataMore@24 March 2003 - 05:48
So how do you say it:

"Grammar errors" or "gramatical errors"? :huh:
The spelling is "grammatical", not gramatical.

I guess I should use "gramatical errors"

DataMore
03-24-2003, 04:54 AM
I&#39;ve already edited it. ;)

So it&#39;s the second one the correct one? :huh:

Spindulik
03-24-2003, 04:56 AM
Yeah. I guess so.

This is getting too much for me. I gonna go now. Coz I be tired.

Good Night troopers.

DataMore
03-24-2003, 05:02 AM
:D The english grammar is nothing compared to the portuguese. :P

:ph34r: Or the chinese... Or the japanese. :ph34r:

Ynhockey
03-24-2003, 05:03 AM
Well, these days even dictionaries add entries that would usually be considered false. The so-called modernization of languages.

From www.dictionary.com :

go off
1. To undergo detonation; explode.
2. To make a noise; sound: The siren went off at noon.
3. To leave: Don&#39;t go off mad.
4. Informal To adhere to the expected course of events or the expected plan: The project went off smoothly.

Same applies to many other words. E.g. the word Epicentre (Epicenter) means the point above the center of an earthquake, but since the word was used frequently for another use, the dictionary (namely www.dictionary.com) added:

ep·i·cen·ter ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-sntr)
n.
2. A focal point: stood at the epicenter of the international crisis.

j2k4
03-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@24 March 2003 - 01:44

A near miss&#33; Two planes almost collide into each other. WRONG&#33; To me, a "Near Miss&#39; is a direct hit. It should be stated as a "near hit".

I need to cool off, it is hot in here. Wrong&#33; I need to "cool on", it is hot in here.

When on a high ladder, you need to tie off. Wrong, you need to "tie on"&#33;

He always talks behind my back. Wrong, if he is talking behind your back, then he is really talking in front of you. Should be "talking in front of your back".

The siren just went off&#33; Wrong&#33; The siren just "went ON".

Barely Legal teens Wrong&#33; Should be barely ILLEGAL Teens. The day before I was 18 years old, I was BARELY LEGAL (but still illegal).

Also-
How does something "turn up" missing?

j2k4
03-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Ynhockey@24 March 2003 - 06:03
Well, these days even dictionaries add entries that would usually be considered false. The so-called modernization of languages.

From www.dictionary.com :

go off
1. To undergo detonation; explode.
2. To make a noise; sound: The siren went off at noon.
3. To leave: Don&#39;t go off mad.
4. Informal To adhere to the expected course of events or the expected plan: The project went off smoothly.

Same applies to many other words. E.g. the word Epicentre (Epicenter) means the point above the center of an earthquake, but since the word was used frequently for another use, the dictionary (namely www.dictionary.com) added:

ep·i·cen·ter ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-sntr)
n.
2. A focal point: stood at the epicenter of the international crisis.
Yn-
You is smart&#33;

Have you ever checked out Lederer on words/language/usage? Entertaining and informative-any of his books will do.

dwightfry
03-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@24 March 2003 - 01:44

A near miss&#33; Two planes almost collide into each other. WRONG&#33; To me, a "Near Miss&#39; is a direct hit. It should be stated as a "near hit".

I need to cool off, it is hot in here. Wrong&#33; I need to "cool on", it is hot in here.

When on a high ladder, you need to tie off. Wrong,&nbsp; you need to "tie on"&#33;

The siren just went off&#33; Wrong&#33; The siren just "went ON".

Barely Legal teens Wrong&#33; Should be barely ILLEGAL Teens. The day before I was 18 years old, I was BARELY LEGAL (but still illegal).

1.) Near Miss -
Near: close
They missed, but it was close.
A Near (close) miss

2.) Cool Off -
Off: Letting &#39;off&#39; heat, which cools you down
(That is probably how they got it, whether it&#39;s correct or not, I don&#39;t know)

3.) The sirens went off -
Sirens: the sound that is being emited, not the object which creates it.
Off: going from a source to somewhere else. (He rode off into the sunset)

4.) Barely Legal Teens -
Almost: Just about to reach a point
Barely: Passed the point by a small amount

If someone passes a test with a 60% (D-), they pass, but just barely (They barely passed it).
If someone is barely legal, they are 18, but just barely
If someone is 17 years old, and her birthday is tomarrow, then she would be almost legal, or barely illegal

I&#39;m pretty sure 1, 3, and 4 are correct.

SuperJude™
03-24-2003, 08:00 PM
The media is full of it, I&#39;ll tell you that. NY Post interviewed me and my buddy Steve at WTC and though it was a really moving article we didn&#39;t actually say most of the things they quoted, they were "paraphrased" statements and I learned a lot about the media telling you what they think you want to hear.

:angry:

-SJ™

mitchellbenn
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I am so glad to see others bothered by these things, as I am. Here are two:
"Quote unquote" with nothing between the two words!
"Epicenter" instead of "center." Epicenter should be used only in a discussion of earthquakes.

Snee
11-17-2008, 07:52 PM
This thread hadn't been posted in for over three years, mang. Bumping threads like that is generally not the done thing.

Good points, even so.