PDA

View Full Version : Can Not Play On Avi Preview Or Theatre

mam
08-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Hi,

I just got a new computer and it has Windows XP installed - I have so many codecs installed but still cannot play the file I just downloaded on Kazaa: Shrek.2.FS.DVDRiP.XviD-BRUTUS
I get a window saying it is not an a recognisible file but as far as I know this is the real Shrek 2

can anybody help please?

thanks

david622
08-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Do you have the codec pack on this site?

Also, you don't list the file type. Is it an AVI, MPG, WMV...??

mam
08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
I have the codec pack from Kazaa - I do not know the extension...I list the files in explorer with the "details" option but it does not show anything more than Shrek.2.FS.DVDRiP.XviD-BRUTUS - when downloading I thought it was an avi file

AndrewBarker
08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
VLC (videolan) is a very good free media player, this should play your movie
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

AndrewBarker
08-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by mam@14 August 2004 - 00:55
I have the codec pack from Kazaa - I do not know the extension...I list the files in explorer with the "details" option but it does not show anything more than Shrek.2.FS.DVDRiP.XviD-BRUTUS - when downloading I thought it was an avi file
To show file extensions

open a folder
Tools > folder options > view
uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

mam
08-14-2004, 12:12 AM
thank you for your help.
I downloaded the vlc player but it still cannot open the...now confirmed avi file (unticked the box and can see it is an avi file now).

mam
08-14-2004, 12:48 AM
if I open the file with Gspot it seams not to be an avi file - but this is a file posted by IKE as new release from Brutus

AndrewBarker
08-14-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by mam@14 August 2004 - 01:49
if I open the file with Gspot it seams not to be an avi file - but this is a file posted by IKE as new release from Brutus
This is the shrek 2 FS Brutus version, which is complete and tested working (I've downloaded it myself)

http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showt...dpost&p=1067384 (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=116935&view=findpost&p=1067384)

if you use kazaa, files quite often get corrupted while you are downloading

mam
08-14-2004, 01:16 AM
I am trying to re-download it but again when trying to preview it it does not work. Downloading other movies but they do work.
I guess it is a sign I am not supposed to download shrek 2 :huh: :huh: :angry:

Ma5t3rM1nD
08-15-2004, 04:08 AM
Ok try this copy your Shrek2.avi and paste it in the same folder if you want rename it to whatever something like Shrek2-Preview.avi now go to google and search for a program called DivFix110 now download this program and unzip it. Run the program untick keep original file and click Add Files. Now click on your copy and hit rebuild index. Now go to your copy and it should play.

mam
08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Now it is a matter of principle! I re-downloaded the Shrek 2 file (the one others could play) but still not working. I downloaded the DivFix110 and unticked the keep original box but when hitting the rebuild index button I get a message saying it is not an avi file!
does anybody have any more advises?
thanks

accat13
08-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Hate to say it,but i had this problem with an avi downloaded from IRC(never got a bad file from IRC). Divfix didn't work,gspot didn't recognize,vdub didn't like the file.I was unable to find a solution.I redownloaded,got the exact same results..I have never had an avi that I haven't been able to fix, till that time..Spent alot of time on it.Then hit the magic delete...Good luck but it may be a lost cause. :frusty: