PDA

View Full Version : U.s. Killed By Puerto Rico In Olympic Basketball

Darth Sushi
08-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Historic loss
U.S. routed by Puerto Rico in NBA players' first Olympic defeat

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Their shots clanged off the rim, smacked the side of the backboard or missed completely. Their best player stared at the floor helplessly as the ball squirted between his legs and rolled away.

Whatever remained of America's aura of invincibility slipped away, too, in a shocking, lopsided loss that left their coach embarrassed and angry.

Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson and the rest of the U.S. basketball team fell 92-73 to Puerto Rico on Sunday, only the third Olympic defeat ever -- and first since adding pros -- for the nation that ruled the sport for three-quarters of a century.

It was by far the worst defeat for a U.S. men's team, coming in the Americans' first game of the Athens Olympics. Having it happen against a team they had dominated in the past 13 months only made it hurt worse.

"I'm humiliated, not for the loss -- I can always deal with wins and losses -- but I'm disappointed because I had a job to do as a coach, to get us to understand how we're supposed to play as a team and act as a team, and I don't think we did that," Larry Brown said.

Full Story: Click Here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/basketball/08/15/usa.puertorico.ap/index.html)

http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/cry.gif Oh, well.... I'm not sure which is worse, for the U.S. Men's Baseball team did not even qualify!

Busyman
08-16-2004, 02:31 AM
They can still get the gold but it is doubtful.

Dream Team? I think not. <_<

It is funny that people are saying that international game is catching up with us.

If there was Shaq, Kobe, Kevin, and others there, the landscape of these games would be different.

Dream Team? I think not. <_<

mrlessk
08-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Well, Dynasty&#39;s don&#39;t last forever...just ask Mr. Ming. ;)

Let&#39;s give a lot of credit to Puerto Rico however. Overall shooting percentage of 56% compared to the U.S.&#39;s 35%.
In there is Puerto Rico hitting 8 of 16 from 3-point range while the U.S. hit a measly 3 0f 24. And, to make matters worse, the U.S. turned the ball over 22 times.
It was ugly&#33; It was embarrassing&#33;

After going 24-0 since the Olympics allowed professionals, the odds were stacked against them and it took a great effort by Puerto Rico to finally humble the U.S.

Ok, they&#39;re not out of it yet.....but now the other teams know that the U.S. has an Achilles heel and are vulnerable. Instead of expecting defeat at the hands of Team USA they will be pumped up with anticipation to see if they can duplicate P.R.&#39;s feat.

Perhaps this is a good wakeup call for Team USA,
and perhaps we&#39;ll see how good this team can be when they play their next game.

http://home.ripway.com/2003-12/44474/Athens50.jpg

:beerchug:

Busyman
08-16-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by mrlessk@16 August 2004 - 01:40

Let&#39;s give a lot of credit to Puerto Rico
Sorry, I don&#39;t.

The NBA has mediocre players just like other countries.

Other countries have been sending their best players and this year we did not.

How did Team USA overlook sending in good shooters?

BONEHEADS&#33;&#33; :angry:

manker
08-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+16 August 2004 - 06:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 16 August 2004 - 06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mrlessk@16 August 2004 - 01:40

Let&#39;s give a lot of credit to Puerto Rico
Sorry, I don&#39;t.

The NBA has mediocre players just like other countries.

Other countries have been sending their best players and this year we did not.

How did Team USA overlook sending in good shooters?

BONEHEADS&#33;&#33; :angry: [/b][/quote]
Quite. Seems like a particularly important part of the game, that ;)

mrlessk
08-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@15 August 2004 - 19:32
If there was Shaq, Kobe, Kevin, and others there, the landscape of these games would be different.

Oh sure, no doubt about it. But, Shaq is too busy remodeling his home at Star Island in Miami,
Kobe has to pay those parking tickets (in fact, he&#39;s due in court today).

But, Team USA 2004 is what it is.

Like it or not, if USA is to win a medal, these are the guys that have to bring it home.

http://home.ripway.com/2003-12/44474/AthensRings100.jpg

Timz
08-16-2004, 03:48 PM
i think KG wouldve been a good addition ;) , oh well, Yao Ming should also leave china and play for the US :D

Comic_Peddler
08-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Really must give Peurto Rico credit were credit is due. They definitly are a hard working team.

BTW: Team USA lost to Puerto Rico last year in a one point lose at the Pan Am games.

Edit: Let&#39;s not forget Team USA took a lose to the mighty Italians as well. Granted that was an exhibition match, but a lose is a lose. :)

mrlessk
08-16-2004, 06:02 PM
:frusty: :frusty:
http://home.ripway.com/2003-12/44474/Shoulda435.jpg :cry1:
:frusty: :frusty:

>Tuesday 3 p.m (EST) Men&#39;s Basketball, Team USA vs. Greece<

http://home.ripway.com/2003-12/44474/AthensRings100.jpg

Smith
08-16-2004, 06:43 PM
yay the us lost :P

their getting crushed so far this year, which is supprising.

canada is winning in base ball 2.

strange.

wait till the winter olympics, ull get pawned in hockey again too :D

Busyman
08-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@16 August 2004 - 14:44
yay the us lost :P

their getting crushed so far this year, which is supprising.

canada is winning in base ball 2.

strange.

Agreed <_<

Celerystalksme
08-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TheCanuk@17 August 2004 - 04:44
Good for you, you goofy canadian bastards, it&#39;s your only fuckin sport hey... :lol:

gotta love Robin Williams live stand up :lol:

Alucard1475
08-18-2004, 07:48 AM
USA lost, wuah hah ha ha ha...and you&#39;ve almost been trashed by Greece too.... (USA 77- GRE 71)..dream team my ass <_<

Dream team should win by at least 20 points :alucard:

Busyman
08-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Alucard1475@18 August 2004 - 03:49
USA lost, wuah hah ha ha ha...and you&#39;ve almost been trashed by Greece too.... (USA 77- GRE 71)..dream team my ass <_<

Dream team should win by at least 20 points :alucard:
It seems we are actually underdogs now. <_<

Comic_Peddler
08-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Pardon me, but the only "dream team" there has every been was this:

http://www.usolympicteam.com/photo_gallery/dreamteam/photo01.jpg

mrlessk
08-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Alucard1475@18 August 2004 - 00:49
USA lost, wuah hah ha ha ha...
A Commentary

It is very sad how an event such as the Olympics, built on international brotherhood, sportsmanship and goodwill, can bring out the latent hatred and jeolousies of those who would rejoice at circumstances which find the United States of America, participating in the spirit of fair and honorable competition, suddenly comprised of mortal beings like themselves rife with human frailties and vulnerabilities.

The child-like decrepit actions of these immature and ignorant few are obvious feeble attempts at gleaning combative, negative reactions and indignation from a society which has always shown a spirit of comradery and good intent toward peoples of the world.

No doubt they are the same order of misfits that stifled joy and satisfaction on the news of 9/11 and feel they have a purpose in sedicious undermining of American ideals and values.

Bastards.

RPerry
08-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Comic_Peddler@18 August 2004 - 07:57

totally agree, other teams have faired well, but have all been imitations of this.

manker
08-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by RPerry+19 August 2004 - 16:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RPerry @ 19 August 2004 - 16:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Comic_Peddler@18 August 2004 - 07:57

totally agree, other teams have faired well, but have all been imitations of this. [/b][/quote]
Maybe the "Dream Team" is partly responsible for the increased global competition in the sport and the chasm of skill between said Dream team and their modern day U.S. contemporaries is not quite as wide as perceived. Rather the opposition have moved up several notches.

While the NBA is obviously popular in the U.S. it hardly rated a mention elsewhere, the Olympics is a different kettle of fish so reached a wider audience and had kids all over the world thinking what a great sport it is and more importantly got them thinking -- "I could do that".

Now they have.

I think that those that constituted the Dream Team have done a great service for the sport of Basketball. Well done chaps :D

My cynicism of U.S. sport will probably return tomorrow ;)

manker
08-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by mrlessk+18 August 2004 - 16:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrlessk @ 18 August 2004 - 16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alucard1475@18 August 2004 - 00:49
USA lost, wuah hah ha ha ha...
A Commentary

It is very sad how an event such as the Olympics, built on international brotherhood, sportsmanship and goodwill, can bring out the latent hatred and jeolousies of those who would rejoice at circumstances which find the United States of America, participating in the spirit of fair and honorable competition, suddenly comprised of mortal beings like themselves rife with human frailties and vulnerabilities.

The child-like decrepit actions of these immature and ignorant few are obvious feeble attempts at gleaning combative, negative reactions and indignation from a society which has always shown a spirit of comradery and good intent toward peoples of the world.

No doubt they are the same order of misfits that stifled joy and satisfaction on the news of 9/11 and feel they have a purpose in sedicious undermining of American ideals and values.

Bastards. [/b][/quote]
Get off your high horse, everyone wants the underdog to win and in most events the U.S. aint the underdog, particularly basketball&#33; What&#39;s wrong with taking pleasure when the less well funded nations get a little success.

I suppose it&#39;s totally different to when the U.S.S.R. had a great Olympic team that was sweeping the board and most U.S. - and global - citizens were celebrating every Soviet loss.

To equate it to the unabashed glee of some in the wake of 911 is ridiculous.

spinningfreemanny
08-19-2004, 09:28 PM
I was glad that puerto rico gave them such a beating; it was a wake up call to the team to start their learning curve and bench Carmelo Anthony. They&#39;re slowly getting it together.

hopefully it&#39;s steep enough to get a gold.

Busyman
08-19-2004, 11:21 PM
There are mediocre NBA players people&#33;&#33;&#33;

We happened to send them and no pure shooters.

Had we done this, this discussion would be moot.

We did not send our best like everyone else did and has been doing for decades.
The rest of the world still is not better than us in basketball.

Puerto Rico is a US territory btw. :ph34r:

ziggyjuarez
08-20-2004, 06:08 AM
Im american and im with america all the way but they got owned real bad :(

peat moss
08-20-2004, 06:12 AM
The same thing has happened to our Beloved Canadian ice hockey . But were starting to come back in the last few years. It&#39;s good for the sport. Get&#39;s kid&#39;s playing. :)

n18
08-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@20 August 2004 - 00:22

Becuase the best players a stupid brats that won&#39;t do anything unless money is involved. They did not want to take part in the olympics. So shut the hell up because thats the best team they could make from willing players. This is the best they could gather...rest of the world gathered thier best too. And thier loses prove other countries have alot of talent and skill in this sport.

Busyman
08-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by n18+20 August 2004 - 10:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (n18 @ 20 August 2004 - 10:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@20 August 2004 - 00:22

Becuase the best players a stupid brats that won&#39;t do anything unless money is involved. They did not want to take part in the olympics. So shut the hell up because thats the best team they could make from willing players. This is the best they could gather...rest of the world gathered thier best too. And thier loses prove other countries have alot of talent and skill in this sport. [/b][/quote]
No it doesn&#39;t.

It proves you can beat our mediocre players. :lol:

Their best against our best is no comparison.

manker
08-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Busyman+20 August 2004 - 15:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 20 August 2004 - 15:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by n18@20 August 2004 - 10:22
<!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@20 August 2004 - 00:22

Becuase the best players a stupid brats that won&#39;t do anything unless money is involved. They did not want to take part in the olympics. So shut the hell up because thats the best team they could make from willing players. This is the best they could gather...rest of the world gathered thier best too. And thier loses prove other countries have alot of talent and skill in this sport.
No it doesn&#39;t.

Their best against our best is no comparison. [/b][/quote]
Quite, although would you say my point is valid?

Watching the Basketball this year c.f. the standard of, say, 12 years ago I&#39;m pretty sure that the overall standard has increased by quite a margin. That may be in part due to the &#39;Dream Team&#39; making basketball look appealing to other countries and more people taking up the sport in a global sense.

Busyman
08-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by manker+20 August 2004 - 12:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker &#064; 20 August 2004 - 12:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@20 August 2004 - 15:53

No it doesn&#39;t.

[/b][/quote]
No. <_<

It&#39;s better coached.

Foreign players are still not as athletic.

Notice the first and second half difference vs. Australia.

They play in a rather unentertaining system. It&#39;s smart don&#39;t get me wrong but nevertheless unentertaining.

Foreign countries concentrate on us in these "systems" while we beat them and have fun doing it. Other countries have no showtime. <_<

blitz
08-21-2004, 05:24 AM
As far as I&#39;m concerned, our team doesn&#39;t really care to win any of the games, even though they&#39;ve won all their games after losing to Puerto Rico by so much. Plus, basketball isn&#39;t the only thing we are good at and should never lose at, look at the medal count for crying out loud :music1:

manker
08-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+20 August 2004 - 19:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 20 August 2004 - 19:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by manker@20 August 2004 - 12:30

Originally posted by Busyman@20 August 2004 - 15:53

No it doesn&#39;t.

No. <_<
Foreign players are still not as athletic. [/b][/quote]
Oh, I didn&#39;t realise Americans had better genetics. My bad.