PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp Product Key

Blackhart
08-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Something has been bouncing around in my brain for awhile. to install windows xp you need a particular product key. and after it is installed you have to activate windows. I asked a couple of people and they said the product key for each disk isn't on the disk. but that didn't make any sence to me. I figure the product key has to be on the disk because with out it you can't install. I have a running bet with one of my friends so if anyone know where the key is on the disk could they tell me. its worth 50 bucks to me

Ariel_001
08-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Key is on the disk? :unsure: :blink:

No the cd key is your license to your version of windows.

There are two versions of WinXP CD keys I know of...

1. The regular CD key that you can buy in the store. You will have to activate with that.

2. and the Volume License (corp) Key that Companies buy. Those don’t require activation.

ObiWan
08-17-2004, 07:46 PM
windows checks to see it the key entered is valid by runnung it through s complex algorithim

Blackhart
08-17-2004, 07:47 PM
no i mean the product key used to install windows. before you can install windows xp you need to enter the 25 digit product key. Some of my friends say the key isnt on the disk. I say it must be, how else would the installer know it was the right key?

Blackhart
08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
so each disk has a different algerithem on it?

ObiWan
08-17-2004, 07:54 PM
no the algorith is the same (all valid keys will produce the same results in the algorithm, even though they are different)

Blackhart
08-17-2004, 07:58 PM
you know what this means...i lost 50 bucks
:angry:

tesco
08-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Blackhart@17 August 2004 - 14:59
you know what this means...i lost 50 bucks
:angry:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

how do u think the illegal versions work?

firefox
08-18-2004, 03:36 PM
The product key is not on the disk itself, it is on the sleeve or cd case the it came in. You use that product key to install windows and then you activate it once it is installed, unless the product key you are using is a corp edition then no activation is required. How do you say you lost $50 bucks for that.

Chewie
08-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by firefox@18 August 2004 - 15:37
The product key is not on the disk itself, it is on the sleeve or cd case the it came in. You use that product key to install windows and then you activate it once it is installed, unless the product key you are using is a corp edition then no activation is required. How do you say you lost $50 bucks for that.
I think that he bet the CD key that appears on the box is also hidden on the disc and that the setup checks the key entered against the one on the disc.

firefox
08-18-2004, 04:58 PM
@ Chewie UK You are probably right there.

Blackhart
08-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I made a bet with my friends. untill i can figure out where the key is on the disk im fifty dollars poorer

firefox
08-18-2004, 08:42 PM
there is no key on the disk, if that was the case you could not use a key generator with any version of windows.

BawA
08-18-2004, 09:40 PM
For people whom uses pirated windows Xp there 2 usuall in-use key's and anybody can use them to activate thier product. since Sp2 came out the Old key didnt work so people had to change thier key's to new one.
i think what ur trying to ask is wheter each cd's has thier own key or...
well with Orginal Cd's ull get diffrent key's and as i said with pirated cd's key's r usuallly same.

Izagaia
08-18-2004, 10:49 PM
By any chance, would this "disk" so happen to be one that you burned from an .iso or .bin/.cue file after downloading using a P2P application?

In which case, referring to "on/in the disk" meaning that the "key" is likely located in a folder (on the disk) labeled either "KEY" or "CRACK". :)

Just covering the bases... ;)

tesco
08-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Izagaia@18 August 2004 - 17:50
By any chance, would this "disk" so happen to be one that you burned from an .iso or .bin/.cue file after downloading using a P2P application?

In which case, referring to "on/in the disk" meaning that the "key" is likely located in a folder (on the disk) labeled either "KEY" or "CRACK". :)

Just covering the bases... ;)
not at all what he meant.
look at chewie's explanation.