ziggyjuarez
08-21-2004, 05:56 PM
dose it make my computer slower?

silent h3ro
08-21-2004, 05:58 PM
:huh: ?

chinook_apache
08-21-2004, 06:03 PM
it wont make the computer slower, might make net speed a little slower if the other pc is using the net when you are.

Do you have a router? - that tends to 'share' the packets of data 'evenly' to all client PC's connected to it.

J'Pol
08-21-2004, 06:11 PM
How can that work, two PC's using the same modem to contact two IP's at the same time.

A router can handle that, its designed for it. However how would a modem do it. It's only a modulator / demodulator.

I don't understand the question, obviously.

ziggyjuarez
08-21-2004, 06:15 PM
useing a ethernet hub
dose this :helpsmile: ?

3RA1N1AC
08-21-2004, 06:25 PM
WTF

TheRealDave
08-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Well it wouldn't make it any faster.

ziggyjuarez
08-21-2004, 06:32 PM
sorry i dont have the information,i just dont know much

tesco
08-21-2004, 06:46 PM
most modems are able to run on more than one ip (meaning each computer gets it's own ip) but then most isp's charge an extra 10bucks or something liek that for eah extra ip.

no it won't make ur comp any slower.

a router is still a more secure way to share the net, and it doesn't require the extra fee for another ip (not all isps charge).

ziggyjuarez
08-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@21 August 2004 - 18:47
most modems are able to run on more than one ip (meaning each computer gets it's own ip) but then most isp's charge an extra 10bucks or something liek that for eah extra ip.

no it won't make ur comp any slower.

a router is still a more secure way to share the net, and it doesn't require the extra fee for another ip (not all isps charge).
router?how do i use this?my isp is charging 5 buck extra for it

tesco
08-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by ziggyjuarez+21 August 2004 - 14:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ziggyjuarez &#064; 21 August 2004 - 14:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@21 August 2004 - 18:47
most modems are able to run on more than one ip (meaning each computer gets it&#39;s own ip) but then most isp&#39;s charge an extra 10bucks or something liek that for eah extra ip.

no it won&#39;t make ur comp any slower.

a router is still a more secure way to share the net, and it doesn&#39;t require the extra fee for another ip (not all isps charge).
router?how do i use this?my isp is charging 5 buck extra for it [/b][/quote]
it&#39;s like a hub, only twice the price and includes firewall built in plus many other great features. can share the net with as many pcs as you want with it since u cn plug another hub into it and stuff to add more ports.
there are also wireless ones.

the router has a WAN port on it where u plug the modem into, then the computer plug into LAN ports. you setup the router to make a connection to the net in it&#39;s config page (more details in the manual).

the one i got was about 70bucks in futureshop but i endedup getting it for 4 bucks plus a 30dollar mail in rebate :01: :lol: basically i made money for taking it, went up &#036;26 :)

Storm
08-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Mr JP Fugley@21 August 2004 - 21:16
a modem changes digital signals to analoge and analogue signals to digital.
ISDN?

ziggyjuarez
08-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Mr JP Fugley@21 August 2004 - 20:16
a modem cannot do what is being described, it is just pish.

a modem changes digital signals to analoge and analogue signals to digital. it MODulates and DEModulates hence the name.

if the same modem was connected to 2 pcs it would not know which one requested data and would not know which one to send it to. so it would not be able to perform it&#39;s function.

in order to do that you need a router (which is designed for just that job), or you need to use one of the pcs as a gateway and then it runs the lan (your internal network) and allocates the data from the wan (the internet) to the appropriate pc.

the router is by far the better option.
Well its doing it for me.

J'Pol
08-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by ziggyjuarez+21 August 2004 - 22:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ziggyjuarez @ 21 August 2004 - 22:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr JP Fugley@21 August 2004 - 20:16

a modem changes digital signals to analoge and analogue signals to digital. it MODulates and DEModulates hence the name.

if the same modem was connected to 2 pcs it would not know which one requested data and would not know which one to send it to. so it would not be able to perform it&#39;s function.

in order to do that you need a router (which is designed for just that job), or you need to use one of the pcs as a gateway and then it runs the lan (your internal network) and allocates the data from the wan (the internet) to the appropriate pc.

Well its doing it for me. [/b][/quote]
Then it&#39;s not just a modem.

tesco
08-22-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr JP Fugley@21 August 2004 - 15:16

sorry but your just wrong.

most modems ARE capable of doing what ziggy&#39;s is doing.