PDA

View Full Version : Important for all members!

rookiecrd1
10-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi all, well we had a major issue yesterday and last night. Not sure exactly what happened. I beleive it was a mistake made by entity, one of our admins. Basically 3 rows were gone from the database.

Another problem was that the backup was corrupted. We had 2 options...

#1 Back up the old forum from July 3rd

#2 use this vb version we did 5 weeks ago.

We chose #2. I know many of you don't like the idea of VBullitin, however we feel this is our best option right now. I think you all will get to feel comfortable here after using it for a few days.

Now, all posts are here from August 22nd on back. When clicking on a folder you will have to click the scroll down and choose 75 days and newer so that the messages appear.

Thanks, I hope everything works out.
Brian

Guillaume
10-04-2004, 02:02 PM
So this isn't the final vb version?
Just a "back-up" board?

{I}{K}{E}
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM

so we lost arround 30.000 posts?

Afronaut
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Well, this VB dont seem so bad...

rookiecrd1
10-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Well this is the final board, however there will be changes made. We didn't intend on switching to VB but due to the database issues we were rushed into this. Please be patient and bare with us.

Brian

rookiecrd1

so we lost arround 30.000 posts?

Yes the backup is from 8/22/04

Rat Faced
Yep.

We had the choice to stay with the old software and lose 3 months, or change to VB and lose 1 month.

I think that the cosmetic crap will get fixed asap...

brenda
10-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Eugh! this is really harsh on the eyes.

Just a question but how could this have possibly have happened after the last big f*ck up? What happened to all the precausions that were going to be taken? Why are the back-ups corrupted?

Right i'm off to organise a piss-up in a brewery.

{I}{K}{E}
10-04-2004, 02:13 PM
There is a BUG.
IE suddenly closes when I'm scrolling this forum.

Mr. Mulder
10-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Just to be clear, we’ve moved from Invision to VB permanently? This isn’t a temp board?

rookiecrd1
10-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Right now we are going to play it by ar. I beleive we will be staying with VB if everything seems to work out.

Brian

Barbarossa
10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
There is a BUG.
IE suddenly closes when I'm scrolling this forum.

IE just bombed out when I clicked "Forums" from within the lounge. :confused:

Mr. Mulder
10-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Obviously there are more important issues at hand, but if we are staying with VB, can we at least have a skin that resembles the old place?

TheRealDave
10-04-2004, 02:40 PM
ughh i'm not liking this place too much.. looks like im off to find another place :(

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 02:47 PM
ughh i'm not liking this place too much.. looks like im off to find another place :(

Same if it stays like this (VB) i doubt i will be here much anymore.

Mr. Mulder
10-04-2004, 02:49 PM
I’ve always preferred Invision to anything else, won't leave over it, but not too happy about it.

Jayhawk
10-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I like it so far invision was starting to work super slow on my computer but VB is going alot better I like the change its nice to see something new

Filliz
10-04-2004, 02:53 PM

You can hardly tell the difference between sticky's and regular topics so I'm pretty sure they are or wil be working on better looking skins. ;)

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 02:55 PM
You can hardly tell the difference between sticky's and regular topics so I'm pretty sure they are or wil be working on better looking skins. ;)

I took them 8 and a half months to remove anti spam.... whats the chances foa new skin before christmas?

TheRealDave
10-04-2004, 02:57 PM
yeah i'm with peerzy on this one.. i'll stick around here for a bit but i am really disliking the new forum

hungrylilboy
10-04-2004, 02:58 PM
this board sucks. Looks horrible and loads so slowly. I just tried loading it on dialup and it took 5 mins to open the main page.
That is not going to encourage new comers to come in.
I know its only a "backup" board but a lot of work needs to be done if your gonna stick to this

Aaron_T
10-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Gonna take a lot of gettin used to, ive noticed theres only 30 odd members logged in :O

very unusual

TheRealDave
10-04-2004, 03:00 PM
is there a pm system on vb? i cant find it

rookiecrd1
10-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Peerzy, it took us 8 months because 7th did the antispam and I had no clue where it was located. Please understand thats its not easy running a forum like this. I am still loosing a lot of money here. I was up all night trying to figure out what the best thing to do was, and decided this was it. Please relax. You don't have to constantly critisize the admin team, especially at a time like this. I am trying my best to fix things up, but I'm not superman.

Brian

Aaron_T
10-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Peerzy, it took us 8 months because 7th did the antispam and I had no clue where it was located. Please understand thats its not easy running a forum like this. I am still loosing a lot of money here. I was up all night trying to figure out what the best thing to do was, and decided this was it. Please relax. You don't have to constantly critisize the admin team, especially at a time like this. I am trying my best to fix things up, but I'm not superman.

Brian

i agree, give rookie some time im sure he will sort things.

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 03:05 PM

Brian

I know your not Superman and i can understand how you feel, i just foudn it funny that it took 8 and a half months of thinking bout removing anti spam and then about 3 minutes to remove it. Also anyone word from entioty on what he did/didnt do that mucked up. not trying to make you feel any worse its just that fact that anti spam was fixed so quickly after you decided to just remove it.

SeK612
10-04-2004, 03:06 PM
The board looks fine (I use VBulletin for my forums and am used to it). VBulletin has a good support system so ask over at their forums for help with solving any problems (I haven't experienced the IE crash thing but it looks like many members are).

Filliz
10-04-2004, 03:07 PM

Brian

And I'm pretty sure the majority of the members here appreciate the time and effort you put into it ;)

Apart from the skin,I think it's quite fun to have a different style of board.
Just needs a little getting used to.That's all. :cool:

Aaron_T
10-04-2004, 03:09 PM
And I'm pretty sure the majority of the members here appreciate the time and effort you put into it ;)

Apart from the skin,I think it's quite fun to have a different style of board.
Just needs a little getting used to.That's all. :cool:

my thoughts exactly

Barbarossa
10-04-2004, 03:27 PM

I'm sorry, I don't like to criticize, but I would have appreciated it more if someone had put in time and effort making sure that they had been successfully backing up the forums on at least a daily basis, and that they could restore such backups.

At least some time and effort should have been put into making sure there is some kind of disaster-recovery procedure in place to stop this kind of fuck-up happening, especially as it's not the first time this has happened to these forums.

bigdawgfoxx
10-04-2004, 03:29 PM

yeah same here...wtf this is ugly and gay looking...id rather loose 3 months and stay on invision then loose 1 and come here...3 month old stuff aint that important neway...we better go back to invision.

DanB
10-04-2004, 03:30 PM
How did this happen after the RTJ incident? :unsure:

Not meaning to kick a man while he is down but this isn't too good

bigdawgfoxx
10-04-2004, 03:35 PM
seriously i think most of us would be fine with loosing 3months and having our old stuff back...when yall finish fixin it or w/e u better change to invision i hate this shit it looks cheap

DanB
10-04-2004, 03:36 PM
It doesn't look nice at all.

rookiecrd1
10-04-2004, 03:46 PM
As for backups. I did take the time to make sure they were working, only to find out that it was corrupt during backup process. Backups were occuring every day actually.

As for the skin, quit complaining about it, this is not the final skin. This is basically the default skin. Give me time to figure everything out, and we will have a better look.

I am trying my best here. just give me some time.

As for the speed. I am on dialup and its going much faster then the IPB version did.

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 03:47 PM
It doesn't look nice at all.

Kinda reminds you of the last thing you saw flushing dwon your local pubs toilet, infested and nasty!

EDIT: In all fairness this is defualt skin like Rookie said, now lets watch Krohn prove his great VB skills and make us a nice one like he promised.

SeK612
10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Theres a WYSIWYG editor for changing colours and stuff in the admin cp if you want to mess around with that. Its easy to create simple variations on the default like that :)

DanB
10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
How do I get the sigs to work then? so i can see them rather then url's

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 03:54 PM
How do I get the sigs to work then? so i can see them rather then url's

You can't :lol: needs to be activated from Admin Cp

DanB
10-04-2004, 03:54 PM
You can't :lol: needs to be activated from Admin Cp
:lol: great

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 04:00 PM
:lol: great

:01: :01: :01:

TheRealDave
10-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Kinda reminds you of the last thing you saw flushing dwon your local pubs toilet, infested and nasty!

EDIT: In all fairness this is defualt skin like Rookie said, now lets watch Krohn prove his great VB skills and make us a nice one like he promised.
and if he dont, we flame his ass :)

Afronaut
10-04-2004, 04:03 PM
and if he dont, we flame his ass :)

Like the girls are not at it allready...

:O

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Like the girls are not at it allready...

:O

:O ........ :01:

DanB
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I'd hate to think of this as the final nail in the coffin

Entity101
10-04-2004, 04:53 PM
MySQL table optimize screwed things up

The IPB board had just been fully re-structured and I was about to turn it online again.

It was either this or the re-structured forum with all old posts gone.

ahctlucabbuS
10-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Quick reply is nice...

Activate avatars and signatures, and give us more options when it comes to the skin and I'm happy.

atiVidia
10-04-2004, 05:49 PM
[[censored for the hell of it]]

DAMNIT MY SIG IS GONE!!!!! MY LOVELY SIG IS GONE!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

right about now i feel like killing somebody. Rookiecrd1 could you possibly temporarily reestablish the july backup and let ppl retrieve their sigs? could you reestablish it on another url? my sig hasnt changed since march...

edit2: i just want the links to the sig so i can retrieve the images from imageshack, lest entity can restore the old board.

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 07:05 PM
[[censored for the hell of it]]

DAMNIT MY SIG IS GONE!!!!! MY LOVELY SIG IS GONE!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

right about now i feel like killing somebody. Rookiecrd1 could you possibly temporarily reestablish the july backup and let ppl retrieve their sigs? could you reestablish it on another url? my sig hasnt changed since march...

edit2: i just want the links to the sig so i can retrieve the images from imageshack, lest entity can restore the old board.
Someone should ahve got a Photobucket account where it storwes all your images to quixckly and easliy get again and again...

And the July backup is fooked so there no way your gettign your sig back.

Virtualbody1234
10-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Yes the backup is from 8/22/04
May I suggest that you make weekly backups?

Peerzy
10-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Brian doesnt make backups on his own PC becuase he has 56k so i think its his server admin who backups for him, so i would be a case of convincing him to do it more often. However why is it tht whenever a backup is needed they never work. Hapopened 3 times on thios board and once on FT that we have needed a backup and the latest hasnt worked.

iMartin
10-04-2004, 07:28 PM

Or atlest once every two weeks...for christ sake, I had like 1,700 posts, now I'm back down to 1,100. Oh well, it's all good. :p

100%
10-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Thankyou for atleast stating which day the site would be up again

Nice to see you guys back up

Itll require some mind adjusting on my behalf

Couldnt log in as 15% so i guess it is fate that im zed

I really miss the avatars - (personality)

New life new beginining - rebirth

atiVidia
10-04-2004, 07:36 PM
lol 1&1 hosting does daily backups... but im not sure if they do it for a site this big :(

tracydani
10-04-2004, 07:48 PM
WooHoo!! This looks great.

Gotta love the vB. Too bad about the posts, but it's not like we don't have thousands more floating around here;)

TD

rookiecrd1
10-04-2004, 07:55 PM
We had daily backups but the files were corrupted :(

Not really pleased with the hosting company

JONNO_CELEBS
10-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Just a couple of questions :)

Backups were occuring every day actually.

Would'nt that mean you have a backlog?
Or have you been over writing everyday?

As for the speed. I am on dialup and its going much faster then the IPB version did

That's incredible, is'nt the DB on this place something like 200 megs?

But to be honest, whatever happend, happend. I would have said it would have been better to have left it off til it's working 100% , either way you would have been wrong, but it would make it easier for you to work on :)

Btw, good luck with it :)

Jonno :cool:

Skillian
10-04-2004, 09:57 PM
All looks promising - the change will be a good thing.

To be honest I'm secretly pleased we were forced into the switch.

spinningfreemanny
10-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Really; I miss the old look, this look here is getting very annoying very fast...

Put me in the "change it back when you can" crowd.

Rip The Jacker
10-05-2004, 02:56 AM
Gah! This place is so nasty looking. It took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to PM someone.

And whats with this button: (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/buttons/reputation.gif)
"Add to spinningfreemanny's Reputation."
Whats a reputation supposed to do? I clicked it and chose "I Approve" to his post. Now what?

Everose
10-05-2004, 03:03 AM
:o I like it. ... ... ... I am hanging around until the next time I lose posts. I am sure they will let me pick the ones I want to lose then!!!!:D