PDA

View Full Version : Dvd-rom Problems

mobboss01
03-24-2003, 10:52 PM
While I am here, and since my google search came up empty handed, I will ask you guys.

I really am having multiple issues with my DVD-ROM:

1. I want to find out why my DVD's original or copied discs playback with horrible audio noise or distortion. It is a sound that "beeps" to the beat of the DVD-ROM reading the data. Not sure if "beep" is the correct word, but it is driving me crazy. Is it the end of my DVD-ROM, I wonder?

This distortion comes through so loudly that I can't even enjoy the movies. Is there anything I can install to filter this distorted noise out? I am thinking it could be a driver issue. Not sure. Thanks in advance.

2. I only get rip speeds of no more than 1.8x with both smartripper and dvd decrypter. This is unacceptable in my opinion. I don't know too much about hardware, but I have a _NEC DV-5800A and it is supposed to be fast. The specs are the same as most I have seen on the net. 16x48x. My friends get like 10x rip speed and I was wondering if my DVD-ROM is breaking down. Is it a driver issue or what? And, yes I have updated its firmware, but that doesn't help any.

Thanks for any future comments.

Jibbler
04-22-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by mobboss01@24 March 2003 - 17:52
I only get rip speeds of no more than 1.8x with both smartripper and dvd decrypter. This is unacceptable in my opinion.
Hopefully this thread won&#39;t be deleted because of our favorite spammer.. <_< <_<

Anyway, I have the same problem with my ripping speed. I have a 16x DVD drive, and also an 8x drive (my DVD-R drive) and I get roughly the same ripping speed on each. However, ripping speed is probably different than playback speed, so this could be the best performance that we will see.

I&#39;m confused, is your drive making noise? Like, is it a physical noise caused by the equipment? Or is it a sound that gets ripped into the file when you use smartripper?