PDA

View Full Version : FOX admits Kerry news story is fake

ZaZu
10-04-2004, 10:19 PM
NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- Fox News, which has been criticized for catering to right-wing political viewpoints, apologized for posting phony quotations from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry on its Web site.

Carl Cameron, a Fox reporter who covers the Kerry campaign, wrote an item that resembled a news account with made-up Kerry quotes. The item was written in "jest" and was not supposed to be posted on the site, the network said.

The item posted early Friday read in part:

"Rallying supporters in Tampa Friday Kerry played up his performance in Thursday night's debate in which many observers agreed the Massachusetts senator outperformed the president.

" 'Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!' Kerry said Friday ...Women should like me! I do manicures,' Kerry said."

The item also quoted Kerry as saying of himself and President Bush: "I'm metrosexual -- he's a cowboy."

The Fox gaffe comes on the heels of a media industry furor that surrounded CBS News and anchor Dan Rather. CBS apologized for airing a flawed report on Bush's National Guard service.

Fox has spent substantial time on the Rather issue, in a seeming attempt to keep the story alive after it began to fade from view in other media organizations.

Source (http://netscape5.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?dist=feed&siteid=netscape&guid=%7B90243DC2%2D2830%2D427E%2DB833%2DE2C19A4FE33E%7D)

An interesting insight into the FOX reporters mindset I think

spinningfreemanny
10-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Written by CBS...

uh huh...cause they know accurate reporting!
The article is full of lib spin...

I don't like the lack to smilies on this board...the whole format is annoying which peeves my sarcasm.

vidcc
10-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Written by CBS...

Do you think that cbs are now incabable of acurate reporting?

spinningfreemanny
10-04-2004, 11:43 PM
I think that this article displays that they cannot report without spin. It looks like (due to their wording) to me that they wrote this story for a rather weak jab at FOX's coverage of the memo scandal.

vidcc
10-05-2004, 01:20 AM
I think that this article displays that they cannot report without spin. It looks like (due to their wording) to me that they wrote this story for a rather weak jab at FOX's coverage of the memo scandal.
and fox just tell it as it is huh? :lol:

what spin are we looking at? All the other media channels jumped on CBS's case over the memo thing, all of them smug.......

spinningfreemanny
10-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Then why did CBS point out FOX?

Fox has spent substantial time on the Rather issue, in a seeming attempt to keep the story alive after it began to fade from view in other media organizations.

Busyman
10-05-2004, 03:21 AM
Then why did CBS point out FOX?

You said it in your own post.Duh.

100%
10-05-2004, 03:23 AM
they should be sued - freedom of the press my ... abuse of power

vidcc
10-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Then why did CBS point out FOX?because all the other media channels jumped on their case when they boobed. This time fox boobed

What part are you saying is twisted?

spinningfreemanny
10-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Did you guys even read the quote?

3RA1N1AC
10-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Written by CBS...

Did you guys even read the quote?

i did. i clicked on the source link and everything. directly after the spot where ZaZu clipped the article, MarketWatch reported "(CBS's parent, Viacom is a significant investor in MarketWatch, the publisher of this report)." disclosure of potential conflict of interest. seems like fairly responsible reporting to me.

i am also impressed with FOX News' willingness to admit that their reporters are creating and circulating jokes about Kerry being a flaming f@ggo. now we finally discover that FOX's reporting MIGHT be infected with anti-Democrat or anti-Kerry spin! indeed, this is a surprise.

spinningfreemanny
10-06-2004, 04:44 AM
The idea is is that it's pure opinion...that is not news.

Hows this?

During the Republican Convention in New York a month ago, Fox swamped the competition and had the highest TV ratings by far, thanks largely to the loyalty of its base.

again, pure opinion trying to pass as fact.

3RA1N1AC
10-06-2004, 08:55 AM
speculation: "in a seeming attempt to keep the story alive after it began to fade from view in other media organizations."

speculation: "thanks largely to the loyalty of its base."

the rest of the article consists of facts, facts, facts, and quotes from Fox News employees. when Fox News leaks out such a display of political prejudice, it is relevant to connect it to previous accusations of prejudice. the speculative/opinion part represents... maybe 5% of the article's total verbiage? it's a huge stretch from that to "pure opinion." quit yer spinnin'. :P