PDA

View Full Version : Where is World News?

Everose
10-05-2004, 01:36 AM
This is serious. Most of my daily reading is done in that section. I am sorely lost......:unsure:

vidcc
10-05-2004, 01:40 AM
talk club and WN&E appear to have merged

Spicker
10-05-2004, 01:40 AM
it went to india :unsure:

Everose
10-05-2004, 01:44 AM
talk club and WN&E appear to have merged
:o Does that mean I have to have proof to back my posts now, links and all that rigid stuff?

vidcc
10-05-2004, 01:47 AM
http://www.internetweekly.org/images/barney_outsourced.jpggreat anti spam idea:lol:

Everose
10-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Well, I will try to keep my mouth shut in here now. Kind of.....well sort of. Okay, I will give it my best shot. Which isn't necessarily a good solid shot, but it will be my best shot.:lol:

Barbarossa
10-05-2004, 08:44 AM
R.I.P World News and Events (previous known as "the iraq war forum")

MagicNakor
10-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Well, I wanted it called "The Drawing Room." ;)

However, I would have kept the two forums seperate, since they had a much different flavour. But it's a waste of space.

j2k4
10-06-2004, 02:09 AM
Well, to call this "The Talk Club" purely sucks.

Heading-wise, it's not significantly different from the Lounge, and, to be perfectly persnickety about it, there is no "talking" going on.

WN&E evolved from the Lounge due to a need for a place for event-driven debate/argument/discussion, and THAT is the precise reason it was called WN&E, rather than something as innocuous and vapid as "The Talk Club".

In my humble opinion, this ought to be addressed and corrected forthwith.

spinningfreemanny
10-06-2004, 02:51 AM
agreed; this view would probably hold for those who mainly posted in WN&E...

Everose
10-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Once this space is established as the World News and Events area, and I am hoping it will be.............would the administrators not listen if enough posters petitioned for a name change?

BigBank_Hank
10-06-2004, 03:29 AM
I sure hope so. The name Talk Club stunk from the beginning.

MagicNakor
10-06-2004, 08:32 AM
I'm lobbying for it, although I think it's rather low on the list of priorities.

I know j2k4 was here the last time we went through the "well, what do we call this" bit, which is where my drawing room reference comes from. ;) Do we have a name we want more than "World News and Events?" Do we want it to stay the same name?

I, personally, still like the drawing room as a contrast to the lounge, but World News grew on me eventually.

:shuriken:

manker
10-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Personally, subsequent to it being merged with Talk Club, I don't think that it can accurately be called World News and Events.

J2 is correct in that the two places had separate, distinct flavours but since they are now one it isn't logical to call the place WN&E, what of the recent topics on mediums and time travel. They hardly fit into that catagory.

To designate the merging of the two places I think it fitting that it be renamed to something disimilar to the two pre-existing places. MagicNakor's suggestion of The Drawing Room gets my vote.

Illuminati
10-06-2004, 02:32 PM
If we had to chuck one, I'd rather we'd have chucked TTC instead of WN&E :(

But we can't do anything about it now, except maybe petition for the name change and possibly a flush-out to clean the subforum of the TC crap ;)

j2k4
10-06-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm lobbying for it, although I think it's rather low on the list of priorities.

I know j2k4 was here the last time we went through the "well, what do we call this" bit, which is where my drawing room reference comes from. ;) Do we have a name we want more than "World News and Events?" Do we want it to stay the same name?

I, personally, still like the drawing room as a contrast to the lounge, but World News grew on me eventually.

:shuriken:

First of all, I have to say that I am much more pissed-off/upset about the "lost month-corrupt back-up" circumstance than I have any right to be; that this has now happened twice I find unforgiveable, but I suppose that's just me, and I have no knowledge of the difficulties in maintaining the board, so I'll let that lie.

Many others were also invested heavily here wherein some of our best and most worthwhile thoughts were recorded.

As a group I think we've managed some occasionally astounding things, and it pains me to see our "work-product" has disappeared so utterly, but such are the vagaries of cyberspace.

Much as I would like to keep the title WN&E, I would partake in another hash to re-christen it if necessary, but would prefer at this point to give the nod to MN's idea of calling it the Drawing Room, which connotes the rather droll shading that I believe should enculturate all who post here.

Manners mean alot to both of us, and I would be honored to see him honored thus.

vidcc
10-06-2004, 07:52 PM
I have no care what it's called as long as there is a place where we can have a serious non filesharing/computer discussion without spam attacks....in reality this room seems to fit that bill to me.
I prefered the old format but i am getting used to this and it serves its purpose well.
It's free to use and a lot of hard work went into it.

BigBank_Hank
10-06-2004, 08:03 PM
You are (as usual J2) correct.

WN&E had a certain mystique about it. You couldn’t just go in there and post some nonsense and expect to get away with it like you could post in other sections. For a long time I would only read because I was to intimidated to post in there.

The debates that took place in there were legendary and its sad that they are gone because a silly mistake. Some of those threads were great reading and very thought provoking, which is what finally inspired me to start to post. I can remember going round and round with RF for days at a time over issues and Busyman’s thread where I took on the entire section by myself, and now its gone and that sucks. But we can’t do anything about it but move on and start over.

I don’t know what we should call this place. You can’t just stick the title of WN&E on it and call it a wrap. That title meant something at least to me as discussed in the previous paragraph. I do kind of like the name MN has been batting around.

spinningfreemanny
10-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Likewise as hank & J2 said;

You noticed that most of the people that crawled around the lounge kept away from WW&E, I think for that reason of being called on what you said.
I feel a creeping suspison that everything accomplished in the last month is wasted because there is no threads to back up on; and it's sad that such a thing comes right before a crucial election.

Everose
10-06-2004, 11:27 PM
After the grief at the loss passes -

It really is the people that count above all else. As long as we still have each of you, and the quality of your minds, no one loses.

DanB
10-06-2004, 11:33 PM
RIP Sportsworld too ;)

spinningfreemanny
10-06-2004, 11:35 PM

It really is the people that count above all else. As long as we still have each of you, and the quality of your minds, no one loses.

I lost my sweet comeback of posting horse blinders as lib glasses in reply to vid's pink specs... :(

vidcc
10-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Likewise as hank & J2 said;

You noticed that most of the people that crawled around the lounge kept away from WW&E, I think for that reason of being called on what you said.
I feel a creeping suspison that everything accomplished in the last month is wasted because there is no threads to back up on; and it's sad that such a thing comes right before a crucial election.DON'T WORRY we have evey last thing you posted in a special folder for the xmas party :lol:

Everose
10-06-2004, 11:37 PM
I lost my sweet comeback of posting horse blinders as lib glasses in reply to vid's pink specs... :(
It will live on in the minds of those of us who loved it. :)

manker
10-06-2004, 11:41 PM
You noticed that most of the people that crawled around the lounge kept away from WW&E.
Why do you feel the need to be derogatory toward people who use the lounge. I'm quite capable of holding a fairly intelligent discussion with most people but do not wish to discuss US politics with those that clearly have more interest and posess more knowledge on the subject.

Yet I am interested in learning from these posts and have a deep respect and affinity for the people that make them. It is the same for many people, particularly those not from within your country. I suspect.

I hope I did not offend anyone by writing this but since I, and a lot of people I think of as friends, post in the lounge I wanted to make that point.

spinningfreemanny
10-07-2004, 12:38 AM
I mentioned no names...

If the shoe fits, find the other shoe...

Of course manker you are one who regularly visits here and I'm sure you don't count yourself as a lounge crawler...The point is is that WN&E was not run like the lounge; with the top thread "I just farted"...

Even I try to check up on busyman's GTFO and STFU thread though...is that gone?

Spicker
10-07-2004, 01:03 AM
RIP Sportsworld too ;)
funny how no-one noticied that incuding me :confused: :lol: :01:

j2k4
10-07-2004, 01:35 AM

Honestly, you are such a girl about these things.. :lol:

Actually, the quality of my mind is questionable after all the bashing about here and elsewhere. :huh:

Everose
10-07-2004, 02:37 AM
Honestly, you are such a girl about these things.. :lol:

Actually, the quality of my mind is questionable after all the bashing about here and elsewhere. :huh:
And not before????:P I can't help it, J2. You are just so darn 'pickable'......I think maybe tis the feathers or something!!!!!:D

Barbarossa
10-07-2004, 07:44 AM
RIP Sportsworld too ;)

Whatworld? :huh: :dry: