PDA

View Full Version : Another Problem ( damm )

Orange_Boy
10-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Got another problem now. I installed windows last night through the recovery cd and you get the option of installing the upgrade of windows or a New installation i choose the " new installation " as i thought that would install a fresh copy of windows the way i was when i first brought the computer but for some reason its mucked up, as after the installation it restarted it self then came up with a black screen with a timer of 25 seconds before it restarts and it had two xp home up on the screen. So i choose the first xp home and that took me to the new installed xp ( fresh copy one ) and then i restarted and the menu came up and i then choose the 2nd xp from the menu and that took me to my desktop before i did the recovery so its like ive got 2 xp home running so now how do i go back and delete the extra os on my system and go back to my fresh copy of windows

Ive tried to explain it as much as poss

p.s should i install this time the upgrade to windows? not new installation but would that take away the extra OS (xp) that ive got

peat moss
10-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Edit the boot ini.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022

firefox
10-07-2004, 03:43 PM
you could do what peat moss said, or you could just boot from the cd again, and do a fresh install but tell it to format the drive first and that will leave you with only one copy of windows.

NOTE: Make sure to backup any data you want to keep.

peat moss
10-07-2004, 11:40 PM
you could do what peat moss said, or you could just boot from the cd again, and do a fresh install but tell it to format the drive first and that will leave you with only one copy of windows.

NOTE: Make sure to backup any data you want to keep.

You right Firefox, that windows help is so confusing sometimes. If Orange_Boy, just did an install, probably the best is to redo from the begining . The XP install is a screwed up piece of work too! I 'v had the same problem !