PDA

View Full Version : no log-in screen???

Skiz
10-07-2004, 07:50 PM
All of a sudden, my log-in screen for windows isn't appearing any longer. I see the screen that has the same background and says 'Welcome', but then it goes straight to loading the desktop. What would cause this?

iMartin
10-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change The Way Users Log On And Off -> and tick Use Welcome Screen.

motherflux
10-07-2004, 09:23 PM
also, if you've only got one user account on your machine (aside from 'Administrator'), and no password for that account, it will bypass the login/welcome screen.

Skiz
10-08-2004, 06:44 AM
also, if you've only got one user account on your machine (aside from 'Administrator'), and no password for that account, it will bypass the login/welcome screen.

Not so. I've been the only user on this pc for a year and a half and I've always had to click the user icon.

Skiz
10-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change The Way Users Log On And Off -> and tick Use Welcome Screen.
If I do that, it requires me to type a logon name. It's not that its a pain or that I'm trying to get rid of it, I want to know why it has stopped all of a sudden.

Storm
10-08-2004, 10:39 AM
you have prolly been messin with tweak UI, and set it to log you on automatically..........

Logon->autologon-> uncheck "log on automatically at startup" (this isnt advised to have on anyway, since it brings a security risk with it)

Skiz
10-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Unless it came with a Windows automatic update, and did it by itself, that's not it.

Smurfette
10-09-2004, 09:07 AM
XP by default goes straight to the desktop if there's only one user with no password, so I don't know why you should see the welcome screen with that setup.

Set a password and reboot.
Then try removing that password ans see if it fixes it.