PDA

View Full Version : Question about extracting a file.

Formula1
10-07-2004, 08:41 PM
i tried extracting a compressed file with winRAR , and the file asks me for a password , does anyone know a good extracting program that can skip through this (password) ?

manker
10-08-2004, 10:00 AM
i tried extracting a compressed file with winRAR , and the file asks me for a password , does anyone know a good extracting program that can skip through this (password) ?
None exist, you definitely need the password. The password itself is used in the encryption/compressing of the file.

DanB
10-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Google for it, there are quite a few apps Clicky (http://www.google.com/search?q=winrar+password+cracker&sourceid=firefox&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) ;)

manker
10-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Google for it, there are quite a few apps Clicky (http://www.google.com/search?q=winrar+password+cracker&sourceid=firefox&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) ;)
But none of them work. Unless the password is something easy like Britney Spears or Homer Simpson, they usually come with a shitty wordlist that contains common passwords.

All brute-force cracking programs are a waste of time when there is only one possible correct outcome and you've no character limit or any clue as to what it might resemble.

It would take more than a human lifetime for one of those programs to crack a password like ahju87lhfa3012rt

DanB
10-08-2004, 10:51 AM
But none of them work. Unless the password is something easy like Britney Spears or Homer Simpson, they usually come with a shitty wordlist that contains common passwords.

All brute-force cracking programs are a waste of time when there is only one possible correct outcome and you've no character limit or any clue as to what it might resemble.

It would take more than a human lifetime for one of those programs to crack a password like ahju87lhfa3012rt

:lol: I have never had to use them

Storm
10-08-2004, 12:00 PM
google for the file.......

especially if it was a file released by a crackin group, youve got a real good chance of finding it..........

tesco
10-08-2004, 12:15 PM
You usually don't get them. Like manker said, when i had one to crack oncee i tried with 2, 3, 4 digits then once up to 5 or 6 it starts to take hours to finish cracking. anymore and your at days, months, even years to finish cracking.