PDA

View Full Version : How Come My Computer Can Recognize my CPU?

Monkeee
10-09-2004, 05:12 AM
well i just finish building my computer but my computer cant Recognize my CPU and just puts it as a unknown CPU at 800MHz... is there anyway for my comp to Recognize it?

i got a AMD Athlon XP 2600 Mobile

Sasage
10-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Check the BIOS and see what it says there.

Monkeee
10-09-2004, 06:42 AM
the answer is friggin abviouse... the same thing, it doesen't Recognize it...

Smurfette
10-09-2004, 09:16 AM
the answer is friggin abviouse... the same thing, it doesen't Recognize it...

Why is it obvious? Are you being a twat on purpose?

Virtualbody1234
10-09-2004, 09:49 AM
If you want help, you'll need to post more information.

What is the motherboard?

Spicker
10-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Some motherboards cant reconize M cpus my nf7-s cant tell what cpu i have....

if u want to know the frequency download cpu-z

Storm
10-09-2004, 11:30 AM
well i just finish building my computer but my computer cant Recognize my CPU and just puts it as a unknown CPU at 800MHz... is there anyway for my comp to Recognize it?

i got a AMD Athlon XP 2600 Mobile

you have to set the FSB and (since its a mobile chip) prolly the multiplier to the correct setting.........

FSB will be 266 for your mobile, and multiplier prolly around 15 (could be 14, or something else around that)

if those settings are correct it will recognize your CPU........

Monkeee
10-09-2004, 04:19 PM
hmmm... if its unrecognize am i still using my CPU to the fullest?

lynx
10-09-2004, 08:13 PM
hmmm... if its unrecognize am i still using my CPU to the fullest?
No, it will be running at the bare minimum. You need to set the speeds manually, for the default for that chip you should set base frequency to 133MHz (sometimes they quote the FSB speed in which case it is double that) and the multiplier to 15 (I think).

However, I know you are thinking of overclocking, so my advice would be to start with a base frequency of 166MHz (333 FSB) and a multiplier off 11.5, which is the default for the desktop chip. You will eventually exceed these figures anyway so you might as well start nearer your final end point.

Monkeee
10-09-2004, 08:17 PM
No, it will be running at the bare minimum. You need to set the speeds manually, for the default for that chip you should set base frequency to 133MHz (sometimes they quote the FSB speed in which case it is double that) and the multiplier to 15 (I think).

However, I know you are thinking of overclocking, so my advice would be to start with a base frequency of 166MHz (333 FSB) and a multiplier off 11.5, which is the default for the desktop chip. You will eventually exceed these figures anyway so you might as well start nearer your final end point.

lol since this is my first time building a computer and overclocking a CPU and stuff i'm not sure what your telling me lol

Virtualbody1234
10-09-2004, 08:25 PM
When you first power up your PC, keep pressing the Delete key on your keyboard to until you get into the CMOS setup (BIOS). Once there you can set the Front Side Bus and the multiplier.

Spicker
10-09-2004, 08:25 PM
no matter what u do ur mobo wont recognize it.....

its a MOBILE CPU!!!

lynx
10-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I'll need to download the manual to tell you exactly what to set.

Unfortunately right at this moment I have a great thirst so I'm about to quench it with copious amounts of beer. When I get back I may not be capable of telling you, but we'll see what happens. :beerchug:

Monkeee
10-09-2004, 08:29 PM
no matter what u do ur mobo wont recognize it.....

its a MOBILE CPU!!!

in dont care if its unrecognizable... i just wanna OC it and use it to the fullest...

how far would i be able to OC it?

i have a
ABIT "NF7-S" nForce2
Corsair PC3200 1 Gig RAM
Thermalright Sp-97 + Antec 92mm

lynx
10-10-2004, 10:26 AM
See page 4-3 and 4-4 of your manual.

Go into bios setup/soft menu III, and select "User Define" for the CPU Operating Speed.

Once you've done that, the next two items are unlocked. I suggest you set these to 166 and 11.5 initially. Those are the defaults for the desktop processor, but it is a good starting point for overclocking.

Next, go down to CPU Interface and change that to enabled.

Next, change the Power Supply Controller setting to User Define. This unlocks the next four settings. You don't need to change them yet, but you will later.

Finally, check the CPU Over Temp. Protect setting and make sure it is at it's lowest value.

Once you've determined a good speed for your processor, you will want to alter the CPU FSB/Dram Ratio to get the best out of your memory too, but the rule with OCing is change one thing at a time, so that's for later.

Come back when you've got that setup and we can give you some advice on how to proceed (or read Peerzyboy's overclocking guide).

mattesca
10-10-2004, 10:44 AM
my cpu isnt reconized

lynx
10-10-2004, 10:51 AM
my cpu isnt reconized
Can't say I'm surprised. :rolleyes:

Monkeee
10-10-2004, 03:42 PM
ok lynx i'm done with all the set up, after you told me to alter i got 1.92 GHz. What next?

PS:these are permenent right? if i like reformatt with WINXP every stay's the same, right?

i'm trying to go for a 2.5 GHz.... thats not pushing it too far right?

Spicker
10-10-2004, 04:02 PM
my cpu isnt reconized
i still cant belive u hit 2.5ghz with only 1.75vcore... :(

im soo jealous....

i have to be at 1.875 for 2.44ghz....with my 2500+M u got a really good stepping there...

lynx
10-10-2004, 04:44 PM
ok lynx i'm done with all the set up, after you told me to alter i got 1.92 GHz. What next?

PS:these are permenent right? if i like reformatt with WINXP every stay's the same, right?

i'm trying to go for a 2.5 GHz.... thats not pushing it too far right?These settings are permanent until you clear the cmos, installing XP (or any other OS) has no effect.

Before you start doing anything you need to find your operating temps, both at idle and under full load. If you haven't already installed XP do that now, then use something like Sandra to perform burn-in tests. You need to run the processor at full load for at least 15 mins to get a realistic reading. But don't forget that the thermal compound takes a while to settle down, so you may not get the best out of your system immediately.

At some point you are going to have to raise Vcore. What is the current setting?

Get that info and you are ready to start.

Is 2.5GHz realistic? That varies very much from chip to chip, you will only find out when you get somewhere near.

Here's a quick breakdown of how to OC.
Raise the processor speed by adjusting the external clock and/or the multiplier. If it doesn't boot, go back to the previous clock setting and raise vcore by the smallest amount. In either case do a burn-in test to check full load temps. Then repeat the process.

Just one thing, it is important to keep a log of the settings you tried and the temps you got. That way, if you have to clear cmos you can quickly go back to a setting that you know is ok.

Edit: for the burn-in tests just pick ones that test your cpu, leave out the ones that test disks and video performance etc.

Monkeee
10-11-2004, 02:37 AM
CPU Core Voltage 1.575 on the Power Supply Controller
CPU Idle - 38C - 43C (wow pretty hot...)
hmmm... but my system temp is like 25C
Max CPU Temp - 48.5C (went for like 20 minutes and stays at like 48.5C)

lynx
10-11-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that 1.575V is well above the default core voltage for that cpu which explains the higher temps. But you are probably going to have to go higher than that anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Next thing is to start raising the cpu frequency.
I suggest you start at 200MHz external and 10x multiplier. Try that and check the temps again. If everything is ok, raise the multiplier to 10.5x and try again. Then try 11x and so on.

If it doesn't boot, you can set the original default parameters (which gave you 600MHz) by pressing the insert key as you turn the system on. You can then put the last settings in that you know worked (this is why you need to keep a log of what you've tried), and raise the core voltage by 0.025V. When you do this it is particularly important to check the temps before raising the frequency again, since increasing the voltage can produce big jumps in temperature.

If you get to 2.3GHz using this method, I suggest you try running it at full speed for a couple of hours, then switch off for half an hour to allow it to cool down. You should probably repeat this for at least 48 hours to give the thermal compound a chance to get to it's optimum working condition.

Monkeee
10-11-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that 1.575V is well above the default core voltage for that cpu which explains the higher temps. But you are probably going to have to go higher than that anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Next thing is to start raising the cpu frequency.
I suggest you start at 200MHz external and 10x multiplier. Try that and check the temps again. If everything is ok, raise the multiplier to 10.5x and try again. Then try 11x and so on.

If it doesn't boot, you can set the original default parameters (which gave you 600MHz) by pressing the insert key as you turn the system on. You can then put the last settings in that you know worked (this is why you need to keep a log of what you've tried), and raise the core voltage by 0.025V. When you do this it is particularly important to check the temps before raising the frequency again, since increasing the voltage can produce big jumps in temperature.

If you get to 2.3GHz using this method, I suggest you try running it at full speed for a couple of hours, then switch off for half an hour to allow it to cool down. You should probably repeat this for at least 48 hours to give the thermal compound a chance to get to it's optimum working condition.

ok just succesfully got it to 2.3 GHz, i dont think i see a temperature change but gotta check just to be safe with sandra

Monkeee
10-11-2004, 07:49 PM
ok wow the max temp went up pretty high.

Max Temp = 51C

just woundering what Celciuse is like high? at what celciuse should i be afraid of like overheat?

lynx
10-11-2004, 08:31 PM
51C is ok, but I'd prefer to see it lower than that. It will probably come down a little when the thermal compound has settled in.

Have you had to increase Vcore yet?

Anyway, just continue with the bedding in, you should see the temps drop back in a couple of days time, then you can try for higher speeds.

Monkeee
10-11-2004, 08:41 PM
ok so while i wait can i use my computer like play games, surf the web, install software, etc etc? and no i didn't increase the voltage. still at 1.575.