PDA

View Full Version : [Network] Having Problems, maybe router...

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Okay i put this in Software as im pritty ure its the router thats messing up.

This is my internet:

http://img87.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img87&image=mefookinginterweb.gif

It use to be the same but i swappe the router and hub around b3ecuase one day i just woke up and the intereb was gone, not working. I took the router out of the network and it worked but i couldnt only get it to work on PC1, and not PC2 no matter what i tried. Ofcourse without the router i could only have 1 pc plugged in at once, however now iv got them both plugged in and still only PC1 works.

Any ideas at all. I know the cables, router and hub are all good as DU shows small ammounts of traffic between them. Like 0.5kb/s etc etc... Iv tried system restore, turning everything off for a bit and letting it all cool down and reboot. Iv had a lookm at settings and they all look good but im not sure what else to try. ANyone got any ideas?

vampiro
10-10-2004, 10:58 AM
whats make is ya router??? coz most routers nowa days come with a 4 port hub intragrated into it

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:05 PM
whats make is ya router??? coz most routers nowa days come with a 4 port hub intragrated into it
The reason i use a hub is becuse the second Pc is upstairs and i do not have a long enough cable.

tesco
10-10-2004, 01:10 PM
If you just plug the modem into the router and one computer into teh router the internet doesn't work?

what have you recently changed?

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:12 PM
If you just plug the modem into the router and one computer into teh router the internet doesn't work?

what have you recently changed?
Correct, no internet. If i go from the modem into the pc with nothing in the middle it works and if i use the hub it works. But the router is working becuase i can see the rgiht lights flashing and its sending packets between the two pc's just not with teh netage.

Changed nothing. Went back on system restore on both pc's about a week back.

tesco
10-10-2004, 01:14 PM
You're absolutely sure you have modem connected to WAN port, computers to lan ports, and in the config page you have the internet setup right?

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Right now im at my downstairs PC, i have the hub right next to me. The hub has 6 ports, 5 Lan and 1 uplink. I have the modem, cable going into this pc and cable going upstairs into the router all plugged into the LAn holes. Nothing in the uploink (not sure if this makes a difference) In the upstairs router it has 5 holes. 1 wan and 4 lan. The cable coming from the hub is going into a LAN hole and the other cable in the router goes into my main upstairs pc. It also has a printer server but i do not use that.

Have not changed any internet settings. Went to bed it was downloading 4gb of roms from newsgroups woke up no interweb and still ahve 3.7gb oof roms to download.

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Went upstaisn and changed the cable that comes from the hub down stairs from the lan port into the WAN port and on the router if the light is full it means its working but if it flickers it means its sending and recieving and both my upstairs pc and the wan just stayed solid green where as b4 they flashed to show they were working.

tesco
10-10-2004, 01:24 PM
that's confusing.

just do this:

modem plugs into wan port on router.

computer next to router plugs into lan port on router.

run long wire from router lan port to hub. then other wire from hub to computer.

Now you just go into your router's config page and setup your connection in there (you put the password, login, all those details in).

Sounds like you still have the software on each PC too. Uninstall that, the router takes care of making the connection.

Sorry if you already have this setup, i'm a little confused. If you do, then does your router have a light on it that says if it's got a net connection? if so is that on or off?

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:25 PM
that's confusing.

just do this:

modem plugs into wan port on router.

computer next to router plugs into lan port on router.

run long wire from router lan port to hub. then other wire from hub to computer.

Now you just go into your router's config page and setup your connection in there (you put the password, login, all those details in).

Sounds like you still have the software on each PC too. Uninstall that, the router takes care of making the connection.

Sorry if you already have this setup, i'm a little confused. If you do, then does your router have a light on it that says if it's got a net connection? if so is that on or off?
My router is upstairs no where near the modem, this is my hub that is down stairs.

tesco
10-10-2004, 01:27 PM
My router is upstairs no where near the modem, this is my hub that is down stairs.
well there's your problem. Switch the hub and router around.

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:32 PM
well there's your problem. Switch the hub and router around.
Okay i'll try that, untill today it use to be the router down here but becuase it ewasnt working i thought i would try and see if this would help. Well its certainly fixed this pc down here, just not the one upstairs.

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Brought the router down here and couldnt get any internet on either PC's. Nothing no matter what i did :( .

tesco
10-10-2004, 01:41 PM
You don't have it setup right then...in the router config page you're sure it's setup right.

if it is then i guess it could be a problem with your router or something.

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Would taking the router out of it fix it? I mean like the reason i have to have something upstairs is becuase i only have a 10metre cable, would gettign a longer one and meaning i have this:

MODEM>>>>HUB>>>PC1
>>>PC2

Would that work insted of what i have now:

MODEM>>>>Router/hub>>>PC1
>>>Router/hub>>>PC2

???

Srry bout the triple post btw as well, just editing on VB doesnt look like u have edited and people over look vital stuff.

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:43 PM
You don't have it setup right then...in the router config page you're sure it's setup right.

if it is then i guess it could be a problem with your router or something.
Ummmmmmmmmmmm well how can you define setup right? I wouldnt know if its all gravy baby or fooked to be honest. All i knwo is that its been working for 4 months perfect and i wake up and i dont ahve me interweb :'(

tesco
10-10-2004, 01:49 PM
go in and look, does it have the login information and password, etc. (really not sure what dsl needs in there, i know it should be set to pppoe though...)

maybe take a screenshot.

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 01:56 PM
go in and look, does it have the login information and password, etc. (really not sure what dsl needs in there, i know it should be set to pppoe though...)

maybe take a screenshot.
This was taken form my pc that has no internet cause this one downstairs didnt wanna do the 192.168.1.1 thingy.... Used my usb flahs device to bring downstairs and upload btw.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/peerzyboy/ahhhhhhhhhhhhhmymotherufkcingstupidffuckedupfuckoffinterwebismashedagainzzz.png

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Is there something i can use as like a extension cable of some sort. I mean like it just alows me to connect one cable to another so i wouldnt need the router but i could just add another cable onto my long cable and put that into my upstqirs PC. Like one of those plug extenders that lets you join two plugs together but for Cat5 network cable?

tesco
10-10-2004, 03:50 PM
ya but they're like as much as buying a cable lol. (the extension thing).

In your router config change it to "get an IP adress automatically (pppoe)"

and setup whatever info it asks for.

As for one computer not being able to access, probably because of the connection software or something like that.

Peerzy
10-10-2004, 06:10 PM
ya but they're like as much as buying a cable lol. (the extension thing).

In your router config change it to "get an IP adress automatically (pppoe)"

and setup whatever info it asks for.

As for one computer not being able to access, probably because of the connection software or something like that.
I have no software at all, i changed the pppoe thingy and still nothing, iv found one and its like £4 and im no re-wiring the whole of the upstairs carpit, last time i used two wires becuase i put nails through them:(.

Peerzy
10-11-2004, 06:02 PM
There must be something wrong on my pc upstairs bcos i do the same setup for this pc and is all good but pn the otherone i get nothing apart from like 0.5kb/s contantly up and down but thats just going through my network.

tesco
10-11-2004, 08:18 PM
with the hub? normally you can only get one pc to work that way unless you pay your ISP for an extra IP adress.
Unless yours gives them for free.

Peerzy
10-12-2004, 04:33 PM
No, even if i do it with a cable going upstairs from the MOdem into EITHER or the hub OR router it still doesnt work...