PDA

View Full Version : Generic Host disconnecting Internet

LoobiLou
10-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Every time i connect to the Internet with BT Broadband, after a couple of minutes i get a Generic Host error report and the Internet disconnects. I'm on XP, does anyone know what i can do to stop this happening?

numba1xclusive
10-10-2004, 03:31 PM
dude..sounds like u got a virus or something. That happend to me when I got infrected with the MS Blaster Worm. I suggest u get SpyBot Search and Destroy...Adaware,A Virus protection software like McAfee, AVG or Norton, a Firewall, and if ur on XP upgrade all ur patches. If that doesnt work..try dling a Stinger from Mcafee, that always works...and from now on, use Firefox or something.

LoobiLou
10-10-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm already using Firefox, and i have both AVG and Adaware installed on my laptop...the Stinger from Mcafee sounds like the best idea.

manker
10-10-2004, 04:26 PM
This sounds like a problem I used to have around 6-9 months ago

I am only guessing but are you using a BTVoyager100 modem? If so it's cheap and nasty, you may need to ditch it altho' when I installed SP1 the problems subsided somewhat.

I ended up getting a new modem.

LoobiLou
10-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Yes, i have the BTVoyager100 modem (came when i signed up for broadband), looks like it's a new modem i need then.

Thanks a lot :)

Rat Faced
10-10-2004, 04:57 PM
I had this problem with a Surfboard Cable Modem earlier in the year, so i dont think its that.

It was a Trojan, and I ended up reformatting :(

manker
10-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Yes, certainly look for other virus causes, it's what I did. However the problems continued over a period of what seemed like years but was only 3 months. I read up on the BTVoyager100 and it is a common problem, there isn't a lot of good said about it anywhere, other than it's free when you sign up.

Updating and re-installing the drivers worked as a brief respite but that never actually cured the disconnecting problem. No problems at all since I switched hardware :)

Spicker
10-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Free Virus Scanner:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

Serivice Pack 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en