PDA

View Full Version : if i was to, reinstall windows

TheRealDave
10-10-2004, 07:54 PM
would i need to backup all my installed programs, documents etc or would my installed programs, documents etc all be ok? :unsure:

zapjb
10-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Ime everythings OK except folder options & reinstalling of Messenger & Outlook. That is if I choose Upgrade. If I choose fresh install EVERYTHINGS lost!

Formula1
10-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah , i reinstalled windows , because my computer kept on have an error when i started it, and when reinstalled it files on my computer where lost , except the ones that where preintalled when i got the computer.

100%
10-11-2004, 03:22 AM
If you do a Repair install
it will keep your Personal files - however all your programs in Program Files will tend to still be there but not shortcutted to startmenu, and wiped from the uninstall menu - its messy. cause it windows replaces all the files in C:\windows and program files - thus the registry - hence alot of conections go haywire- but not for items in My Documents etc

If you Reinstall-itll wipe eveything - hence it is better to Format your hardrive first - just to get a really clean start (even though with some Undelete programs you can still manage to retrieve "formatted" files)

Supernatural
10-11-2004, 04:32 AM
There are 3 ways of installing windows:

Repair Install - This will reinstall critical system files, leaving settings and non-system files unthouched. So music, programs, etc. are not affected in any way.

Install Without Formatting - This will reinstall critical system file and wipe out the registry to that of a brand new install. Personal settings will be lost, but no files are erased. I wouldn't recommend this type of install unless Repair doesn't work and files haven't been backed up.

Install with Formatting - This is obvious. The partition is wiped clean and all files installed anew. This is the best way to install windows.

If you were to reinstall windows, I recommend saving all your important files to a seperate partition/drive or CDr/DVDr's. Then format and install windows. It's the best way to go.

100%
10-11-2004, 09:11 AM
Repair Install - This will reinstall critical system files, leaving settings and non-system files unthouched. So music, programs, etc. are not affected in any way.

Ive done that on several occasions and many of my programs have lost their references.....is it me or....?

manker
10-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Repair install also has that effect on my PC. Each time I have to create new references in the start menu. As you say, Zed, the programs are still there, they're just not linked into the start menu anymore.

However, it's never cut and dried. A few programs are untouched and have working links in the start menu and others still have the link in the menu but the link doesn't work anymore. The majority just disappear from there but remain in the c:/program files folder. It seems to be quiet arbitrary to me.

AndrewBarker
10-11-2004, 12:48 PM
If you were to reinstall windows, I recommend saving all your important files to a seperate partition/drive or CDr/DVDr's. Then format and install windows. It's the best way to go.
Agreed, this is the best way to go, Then when you have everything reinstalled I would do a ghost image of your drive or partition, using Norton Ghost, or that Acronis thingy that someone keeps harping on about

Then next time Windows gets sick, you just pop your Ghost image disk in, and 10 - 20mins later your computer is back to when it was when you created the image

Supernatural
10-12-2004, 02:48 AM
I don't recommend images, as Windows images get outdated very fast.

peat moss
10-12-2004, 03:08 AM
I don't recommend images, as Windows images get outdated very fast.

Well then slipstream sp2 install , go from there! :cool:

Supernatural
10-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Well then slipstream sp2 install , go from there! :cool:

Very good idea.

peat moss
10-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Very good idea.

Ya wish it was mine , But Rossco pointed me to slipstreaming for dummys! It's called Autostreamer.

Link: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Autostreamer-Download-13918.html

zapjb
10-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Excellent prog that AutoStreamer, from the folks at Neowin.net. Less than 30mins done easy. And tested on a blank HDD.

tesco
10-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Excellent prog that AutoStreamer, from the folks at Neowin.net. Less than 30mins done easy. And tested on a blank HDD.
Takes like 10 mins if u do it manually. :blink:

not that hard either as long as you have some clue of what you're doing (+the help of a guide).

zapjb
10-13-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm talking about from downloading AutoStreamer thru burning of the XP SP2 disc. Considering I have 56k & burnt only at 12x (for surety) & have a medium computer. I think that excellent time.

tesco
10-13-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm talking about from downloading AutoStreamer thru burning of the XP SP2 disc. Considering I have 56k & burnt only at 12x (for surety) & have a medium computer. I think that excellent time.
ok in that case that's not too bad. ;)

I never actually got autostreamer to work, i ran it then got some error so i did it manually.
Not sure what error it was, don't really care either, just did it manually and it worked fine. :)

sebastian_insua
10-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Takes like 10 mins if u do it manually. :blink:

not that hard either as long as you have some clue of what you're doing (+the help of a guide).
Yeah there is a very good guide for n00b's here: http://www.pcuser.info/articles/slipstream_winxp_and_sp2/