PDA

View Full Version : Email from Paramount

Silver_Dales
10-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi I got a phone call today from my ISP in England telling me they had had an email from Paramount about me dl films or to be precise Collateral. They said they did not pass on my details but not to do it again and not to worry. I wondered what people think?
Heres a copy of the email.

Notice ID:7131948
Notice Date:4 Oct 2004 16:41:27 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

BayTSP, Inc. ("BayTSP") swears under penalty of perjury that Paramount Pictures Corporation ("Paramount") has authorized BayTSP to act as its non-exclusive agent for copyright infringement notification. BayTSP's search of the protocol listed below has detected infringements of Paramount's copyright interests on your IP addresses as detailed in the attached report.

BayTSP has reasonable good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of in the attached report is not authorized by Paramount, its agents, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Therefore, this letter is an official notification to effect removal of the detected infringement listed in the attached report. The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, the Universal Copyright Convention, as well as bilateral treaties with other countries allow for protection of client's copyrighted work even beyond U.S. borders. The attached documentation specifies the exact location of the infringement.

We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user refrains from using or sharing with others Paramount's materials in the future (see, 17 U.S.C. §512).

Further, we believe that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter. Please reference the Notice ID number above in your response.

Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of Paramount with respect to the alleged infringement, all of which are expressly reserved. Should you need to contact me, I may be reached at the following address:

Mark Ishikawa
Chief Executive Officer
BayTSP, Inc.
PO Box 1314
Los Gatos, CA 95031

DanB
10-11-2004, 09:53 PM
i got one from that tosser :lol:

natedogg
10-12-2004, 12:29 AM
don't worry :hug: keep on dloding movies :lol:

erRor67
10-12-2004, 05:57 AM
England? I could have sworn people were only getting caught in America. Well, make sure u are using an IP blocker. I recommend Protowall from http://www.bluetack.co.uk and a good firewall. There are many to choose from. If you have high speed internet I also recommend getting a router to act as a hardware firewall. Also, dont download newly released movies (both in theaters and on dvd/vhs) Wait a month or two. Also, dont download music and movies on Fasttrack (Kazaa) Many fakes there as well as the #1 place on getting caught. After you have those done, you can probably download without getting caught. Although you still might seeing as they might monitor you more closely.

EDIT: Wait, it seems ur in Enland yet the email origonated in California, America. So, they techinically have no judical power over you right?

Silver_Dales
10-12-2004, 06:22 AM
My ISP did say that if i did it again then they WOULD pass on my details.
Thats what I thought. I thought the US film companies couldn't do anything over here and that this was just scare mongering in the hope that I would go "oh no I better not do it again". Or have they really got teeth?
Just worked out it must have been when I dl the repack (cos of sound problems) from Pheonixtorrents . Someone else on there says they got a mail from their cable co over dl Collateral as well.
I only dl movies from torrent sites NEVER Kazaa!!! I have a good firewall, I'm on ADSL with an internal modem and I have heard others say Protowall isn't woreth the bother.

Spam-King
10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
who is your ISP

Silver_Dales
10-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Timewarp

Mr. Blunt
10-12-2004, 10:48 PM
They probably have some relationship with the english government.

dboucher
10-15-2004, 01:23 AM
well im in australia and just got one from my isp with a letter from universal re: chronicles of riddick... should i be concerned? any way around it... have a billion 5100 with internal firewall and am running sygate pro and yet they still 'allegedly' think someone on my network is d/l things that are "allegedly" copyrighted....

Mr. Blunt
10-15-2004, 03:53 AM
Firewalls won't stop RIAA/MPAA or whatever from finding out what your sharing. If you import bad IP addresses into the firewall that may help a little bit, but your never 100% safe from anti-piracy organizations.

About the letter, I say remove the file they suspected you of sharing for a while. Then after some time, place it back in your shared folder.

ofbz
10-15-2004, 07:00 AM
i'd say... stop downloading or uploading for week or so... while you do that, go read about peerguardian and protowall... (i have peerguardian lite with the methlabs.org/sync blocklists) it really helps...

i also got a letter from my isp (they got it from the mpaa) and it was a weird coincidence that the date coincided with the day i forgot (or was too lazy) to load peerguardian...

Entity101
10-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Or use a program with a build-in blocklist. Like emule.

erRor67
10-16-2004, 12:10 AM
Aseurus has a builtin ip bocker. Its the damn best Bit Torrent program you could get. Yeah, I recommend that. Dont bother with Kazaa for music and movies. Erm, and use an IP blocker like Protowall. The damn best IP blocker ur going to get

RealitY
10-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Well the Movie industry may actually be watching torrents more than even CrapTrack these days since its so big and just as easy if not easier to find you, and no a fw nor router wont really do shit to stop that.

The company which you recieved that letter from from are very well know and are built in to just about any blocklist now so chances are this is good case where if you had been using something you may have never gotten that letter.

As far as having a blocker in a bt client I use AZ with SafePeer. I also use EMule with the built in blocker and have BlocklistManager as well in case I want to update and PG as well although and I dont either much. I believe and prefer having a built in blocker for each app is better than secondary apps...

Silver_Dales
10-16-2004, 07:01 AM
I do use Azureus as my client but I admit I don't use any other blocker. Slack of me I know. Would Peerguardian really work to block these people from seeing you or is it just false security. Also if I was tagged again and my ISP did pass my details over what is the likely outcome (punishment wise) bearing in mind I'm in the UK?

orcutt989
10-16-2004, 10:19 PM
You sound like you have a very nice ISP. I wonder if mine is as nice.