PDA

View Full Version : java blocked

sArA
10-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Its really wierd but I allowed java access using my sygate firewall, but it keeps popping up as blocked....any ideas?

gildan2020
10-12-2004, 04:43 AM
one thing u can do is to check ur traffic log
if java is blocked by sygate, the incident can be found in that log

gildan2020

sArA
10-12-2004, 09:38 AM
I see it in the log....it blocks quite a lot whilst on the forum presumably from sigs etc. I dont know how to enable it tho as I didn't block it in the first place......this is soooooo irritating!

baccyman
10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
if you right click on the sygate icon in the task bar you will get a pop up giving you different options then left click on applications this will show you what applications have been allowed blocked or ask permission . so if you look for java in there you should be able to click on the java line and allow it to run .

hope that helps you baccyman

4play
10-12-2004, 06:02 PM
does java need access? Im pretty sure its just a interpreter. generally firefox/ Ie will download the applet and give it to java to run.

might just be the jvm looking to see if there are any updates.

sArA
10-12-2004, 07:35 PM
if you right click on the sygate icon in the task bar you will get a pop up giving you different options then left click on applications this will show you what applications have been allowed blocked or ask permission . so if you look for java in there you should be able to click on the java line and allow it to run .

hope that helps you baccyman

I just looked....and it says java is allowed...so I am even more confused..... :blink:

Oh and when I click the box to 'not show this again' it makes no difference.... :huh:

sArA
10-12-2004, 07:36 PM
does java need access? Im pretty sure its just a interpreter. generally firefox/ Ie will download the applet and give it to java to run.

might just be the jvm looking to see if there are any updates.

I dont think so...as it does it when on the board...sometimes 5 or 6 times during a session.....

baccyman
10-12-2004, 10:08 PM
which version of java are you using windows or sun because if you do a scan with trendmicro antivirus scanner that shows that there is a virus with older versions of windows java . i dont know if this is affecting your computer.

sArA
10-12-2004, 10:54 PM
which version of java are you using windows or sun because if you do a scan with trendmicro antivirus scanner that shows that there is a virus with older versions of windows java . i dont know if this is affecting your computer.

I am using a new download of sun...and have a reformatted hard drive with xp pro....and its done it about 6 times this evening whilst on 2 different VB boards.

Emdee
10-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Have you run a virus check? There's a slim chance it could be a trojan masquerading as a familiar program.

I can't see why you'd need java at all on this forum so it's a mystery as to why it keeps popping up.

sArA
10-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Have you run a virus check? There's a slim chance it could be a trojan masquerading as a familiar program.

I can't see why you'd need java at all on this forum so it's a mystery as to why it keeps popping up.

I'll re run the updates and do another scan,...see if that helps.

I don't get it either.....its popped up when replying to a thread as well... :huh:

4play
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
yeah im thinking a trojan as well. java should not be asking for access to the internet.

the update utility is called jucheck.exe thats the only part that should need internet connectivity.

try something like
http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.4/demo/applets/ArcTest/example1.html
and see if java needs to connect to the internet to run the applet.

sArA
10-13-2004, 07:54 AM
@ 4play Ok..will check out the java applets site you suggest....

edit: tried the test, java doesn't pop up on that......

Just ran a AV check with full updates on symantec corp edition Av and found nothing...btw.

gonna run an online trojan/av check and see if there is something that my av hasn't picked up...

4play
10-13-2004, 11:55 AM
check your running processes for something out of place or something that contains the word java.

also check msconfig /startup(tab) the only item with java in it should be jushed the update utility.

i would also suggest you block java at your firewall and see what information it contains about it like where the file is located this will help.

sArA
10-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Did I mention that I am running azureus which needs Java.. :unsure:

Still, the fact is, it never used to do this......now it does....so something is wrong.

I have done a Trojan check....nothing :dry:

I am now trying several things.....

running peer guardian again....
blocked java in sygate firewall...(this has not affected azureus btw)

No pop ups yet...but only did it 5 mins ago.....will wait and see.....

btw...thanks people for the helpful suggestions :)

tesco
10-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Have you tried a spyware scan at all? and also post a hijackthis! log.

sArA
10-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Have you tried a spyware scan at all? and also post a hijackthis! log.

Yep run latest update of adaware......gonna install spybot as well.....

erm...what do you mean by a 'hijackthis log'? :huh:

baccyman
10-13-2004, 08:11 PM
you can download hijack this from here just scroll down untill you see it

http://www.richardthelionhearted.com/?url=merijn.richardthelionhearted.com

sArA
10-13-2004, 08:30 PM
you can download hijack this from here just scroll down untill you see it

http://www.richardthelionhearted.com/?url=merijn.richardthelionhearted.com

Ok...will do.....cos its still doing it and its ignoring the 'dont show this again' checkbox

baccyman
10-13-2004, 08:37 PM
have you tried uninstalling the java and re install a new copy maybe something as simple as that might work

sArA
10-13-2004, 09:14 PM
I think I will try that baccyman....if all else fails....see if I can just turn off the notifications.... :lol:

Until the next reformat :(