PDA

View Full Version : Couple video-editing questions...

raen7
10-14-2004, 03:01 AM
Most importantly, I need to know how to compress some of my Family Guy episodes from over 220kb (.mpg) down to .avi format, which should put them in the 40-60kb range (because that's how big the ones that I already have in .avi format are). So, post any links to free, easy-to-use converter software that could help me with such a task.

Second, is there any way possible to burn such TV episodes onto a CD-R in a more compressed format (because I don't have DVD burner), without sacrificing too much in the way of quality? I know the answer is probably "NO, you fool!", but it's worth a shot. It's not really the Family Guy episodes that are sucking up the HD space, there's only 50 of 'em... It's the Seinfeld episodes (180 times 40k each... yea).

Share the files! Cheers.

lightshow
10-14-2004, 11:08 PM
to burn those on a vcd and make more fit, you could try making the vcd a KVCD. I forgot the link for the site, but using search on the forums will bring you to it

muchspl2
10-14-2004, 11:22 PM
KVCD is the answer, I've gotten 9 20min eps of the simpsons on one cdr

raen7
10-15-2004, 02:18 AM
KVCD is the answer, I've gotten 9 20min eps of the simpsons on one cdr
Gee, I'd only have to make... 20 CD's! lol... Thanks a lot for the answers tho, that helps. I still have 15-20 gigs of HD left, so I won't worry myself too much yet... unless the FBI comes knocking on my door :-P

But back to my first question about video conversion/compression :-D

raen7
10-20-2004, 04:31 AM
*ahem*

Once something leaves the first page, it never sees the light of day again for some reason... And yea, I've waited more than a few days, so don't call me a spammer. Kthnx.

PS: I do know how to use Google, I'm just looking for recommendations.

raen7
10-21-2004, 09:33 PM
Jesus, did I piss off the whole forum? Or maybe I'm just invisible.

manker
10-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Jesus, did I piss off the whole forum? Or maybe I'm just invisible.
Well, no. It's just not that common a thing to do. Mpeg is the best quality and when you convert the file it can only degrade in quality. With storage media being so cheap, such a practice is fairly rare.

You could try WinAVI (http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm) to convert it to .avi or .rm but I'm not sure how much space you'll actually save and how much worse the end product will be.

raen7
10-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Well thanks. I must say, I haven't noticed any difference in quality between my TV episodes (mpg's vs. avi's)... And I was hoping for freeware, not trial-ware. But I guess beggars can't be choosers. It actually sound like a great product, but it says it "leaves a watermark" in the media files that I convert...

manker
10-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Well thanks. I must say, I haven't noticed any difference in quality between my TV episodes (mpg's vs. avi's)... And I was hoping for freeware, not trial-ware. But I guess beggars can't be choosers. It actually sound like a great product, but it says it "leaves a watermark" in the media files that I convert...
Try the special offer on Suprnova to get rid of the watermark, if it is still there, that is. I suspect so since it is a popular product.

PM me if you get trouble, I've got a full version here somewhere. ;)

Edit: Thinking about it Virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) will probably do what you need too and is freeware.