PDA

View Full Version : Polls Show Worsening U.S. Reputation Worldwide

ZaZu
10-15-2004, 05:37 PM
LONDON (AP) - America's reputation around the world is hurting, according to a series of coordinated polls published Friday from 10 countries, including many of the United States' closest allies.

By big margins, those questioned said the war in Iraq did not aid the global fight against terrorism.

And in eight out of 10 nations, those polled said - often in landslide proportions - that they hoped to see Democrat John Kerry beat President Bush in next month's election. Bush won backing from a majority of respondents only in Russia and Israel.

The polls were conducted in Canada, France, Britain, Spain, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, Israel and Russia, with results to be published in the participating newspapers on Friday. Not all questions were asked in every country.

On average, 57 percent of those questioned said their opinions of America had worsened over the past two to three years, compared with 20 percent who said their view had improved. That question was asked in nine of the countries, but not in Russia.

Seventy-four percent of Japanese, 70 percent of French, 67 percent of South Koreans, 64 percent of Canadians and 60 percent of Spaniards said they had a worse opinion of America now than two to three years ago.

Only in Israel did more people say their view of the United States had improved than worsened in the past two to three years.

In that period, which began just after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the United States has led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. While much of the international community backed the invasion to oust the Taliban, Bush's decision to invade Iraq has fueled anger around the world.

Fifty-nine percent of people questioned in seven nations - including Britain, America's closest ally in Iraq - said the war there was not helping the world fight against terrorism, while 35 percent said it was, as Bush contends.

People in all 10 countries were asked who they hoped to see win the White House on Nov. 2, and the result will make Kerry wish they had a vote.

The Democrat was favored by healthy to enormous majorities in eight of the nations - 72 percent supported him, compared with 16 percent for Bush in France.

In South Korea, it was 68 percent for Kerry and 18 percent for Bush; in Canada, 60 percent to 20 percent; in Spain, 58 percent to 13 percent; in Australia 54 percent to 28 percent; and in Britain 50 percent to 22 percent.

Bush came out on top in Israel by a margin of 50 percent to 24 percent and in Russia, 52 percent to 48 percent.

The polls were conducted on different dates from September through early October.

Source (http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-1103&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20041015%2F0837965715.htm&sc=1103&photoid=20041013MASS101)

For those who wonder if your opinions are held by others...

Rat Faced
10-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Isn't this what I've been saying for 2 years? :blink:

spinningfreemanny
10-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Come on; you will never see a country say "I love America!"...This isn't their country and any sensible country would like to see the largest one fall. This has always been other countries mindset...example; ask americans how thay view France, or ask Mexico how thay view Great Britain. All countries dislike other countries unless they do something in their national interest.

Thats whats so scary about Kerry relenting to the persuasion of other countries.

ruthie
10-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Come on; you will never see a country say "I love America!"...This isn't their country and any sensible country would like to see the largest one fall. This has always been other countries mindset...example; ask americans how thay view France, or ask Mexico how thay view Great Britain. All countries dislike other countries unless they do something in their national interest.

Thats whats so scary about Kerry relenting to the persuasion of other countries.

I wonder why. Hell, there are lots of people here not too pleased with our country and the direction it has taken.

spinningfreemanny
10-15-2004, 06:01 PM
I wonder why. Hell, there are lots of people here not too pleased with our country and the direction it has taken.

Like I said because were not doing things in their national interest.

How dare we pull up a dictator! It will ruin their oil contracts!! :lol:

ruthie
10-15-2004, 06:04 PM
News flash....the Bush regime is what? Democratic? Excuse me while I vomit. This is a totally corrupt administration, as is all it's little minions.

Everose
10-15-2004, 06:05 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, let me get this clear. ... ... some :rolleyes: polls are correct then?

spinningfreemanny
10-15-2004, 06:06 PM
News flash....the Bush regime is what? Democratic? Excuse me while I vomit. This is a totally corrupt administration, as is all it's little minions.

:lol: :lol: lib sludge! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bush regime....

Ruthie, you got your crazyness down to an art
:cool:

ruthie
10-15-2004, 06:07 PM
:lol: :lol: lib sludge! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bush regime....

Ruthie, you got your crazyness down to an art
:cool:
Well, if you are throwing around the word dictator........
Just calling like I see it. CORRUPT

Rat Faced
10-15-2004, 06:09 PM

Actually, as one of your own Republican Senators pointed out last year... The young in the UK and most of Europe used to look to the USA for their example, not their own country.

This has only changed in last couple of years...

spinningfreemanny
10-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Well, if you are throwing around the word dictator........
Just calling like I see it. CORRUPT

Well, I guess you should try taking off the blinders to see better...

or maybe obtaining another eye to go with the one you got for some perception....

I'm joking of course Ruthie... you bring out the absolute sarcasm in me :lol:

spinningfreemanny
10-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Actually, as one of your own Republican Senators pointed out last year... The young in the UK and most of Europe used to look to the USA for their example, not their own country.

This has only changed in last couple of years...

If they looked to us as an example; then I guess you could conclude that they would follow in the fight against terrorism. If not; I guess it was just that America fell in line with their ideological viewpoints at that time.

Comic_Peddler
10-15-2004, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=ZaZu]Not all questions were asked in every country.
QUOTE]

Hardly a scientific survey when you do not ask the same question to everybody.

I have said it before, but these "studies" are to easily skewed in order to get whatever your desired result is, whether for good or bad.

As a side note, I find it funny that Mexico would say how bad the U.S. is when this year alone, it is predicted that over 3 million Mexicans will move to the U.S. ILLEGALLY.

As a side note to the previous side note, am I the only one who finds it funny that Vicente Fox, the Mexican President, is repeatedly and ardulantly fighting to open the U.S./Mexican border, but refuses to allow people to enter Mexico thru its southern borders?

Rat Faced
10-15-2004, 06:22 PM
If the USA had "Fell into line" with the Europeans, then they wouldnt have lost popularity.

The evidence is pretty straight forward.. the USA did something, that made the young of Europe, decide that the USA didnt deserve the respect that they once did...

Jees, i wonder what that was?

vidcc
10-15-2004, 06:25 PM

.tell me....do you think it will improve with this attitude?

Will things get better by finding common ground and working from there or by the girlie attitude of " the're so not sitting with us at lunch break" ?

Thats whats so scary about Kerry relenting to the persuasion of other countries Kerry hasn't said he will relent to the persuasions of other countries..he said we need to make efforts to get them to work with us instead of against us.
If you think this is wrong that's fine, but don't misquote the policy into something it's not

If they looked to us as an example; then I guess you could conclude that they would follow in the fight against terrorism. If not; I guess it was just that America fell in line with their ideological viewpoints at that time.
the rest of the world (well a considerable part) were fighting terrorism LONG before we joined in... I think a better attitude would be us fighting terrorism alongside the rest of the world instead of suggesting they follow us

CloudSeeder
10-15-2004, 06:52 PM
:lol: :lol: lib sludge! :rolleyes: :cool:
Way to go Manny, there is a thread somewhere here I saw wanting a new name for this forum. I think this is a winner:01:

Rat Faced
10-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Way to go Manny, there is a thread somewhere here I saw wanting a new name for this forum. I think this is a winner:01:

Tha's right Billy Bob...

hobbes
10-15-2004, 11:35 PM
This is from an old thread, but I think it applies to this one.
RF when you said that the youth looked to us, until now, are you saying they were really impressed with Vietnam, or was it our fine work in South America. US foreign policy hasn't changed since 1900 in any sifnificant way.

I guess the question I am asking is: Does any government ever act altruistically? Does a leader of a nation tell his people that they are going to have to suffer this winter because all excess grains will be sent to help those starving, because "it is the right thing to do?" Will he remove all the cars and replace them with bikes, will he ask people to give up hot showers in the morning? Would such a fool, even see the revolution coming? You cannot succeed as a leader by stepping backwards.

I would venture that the goal of all elected officials is to elevate the standard of living in his country. How this has been performed throughout history is different. Before, people often attempted to conquer and occupy land, now we find it easier to exert control over regions through "friendly" governments to secure what we need.

I don't think the US is being globally influencial/imperialistic for the fun of it, it relies on so many different things from all over the world, and it is attempting to secure these items. The United States was awarded the Phillipines in the Spanish-American War, we let them choose independence. We have not captured Puerto Rico, Cuba or the Virgin Islands. If they had something we needed, consider them ours, otherwise we don't just pointlessly acquire countries.

So my point is that people are people and governments are governments (each one wanting to become more powerful or secure- how this plays out for the individual citizen varies greatly based on the type of governing body). I made no attempt to justify what my country does. I wanted to explain that it, like all it's powerful predecessors, is doing what it is able to do, to ensure the its future and make it stronger. This is a pattern repeated throughout history. We have control now. On day, when we stumble and fall, your country will take over, and you will strive to do what we are doing. Your methods may be different, but damn straight you will use whatever means necessary to secure what you need.

So, I have no problem with your anger at some of our policies, or how we attempt to secure our future. You are here to be our buddies as it benefits us (and the reciprocol is true), but we are not in a popularity contest. Given the same power, the same standard of living, and the same needs, your country would act no differently. Don't pretend to be somehow morally superior, it just doesn't wash.

100%
10-15-2004, 11:40 PM
Has anybody done Polls for the Reputation of
India
Jamaica
Espana
Curacao
Luxembourg
etc
etc

no oh really....its seems we only poll for one nation.....

ahctlucabbuS
10-16-2004, 12:41 AM
@Hobbes

And is what you're describing necessarily a good thing for the sake of our planet? NO

IMO we should fight agains nationalism that you describe, and forget the bloody past however it expresses itself...

We should all be fighting for progression of the world, and not for individual countries.

Forget the (bloody) past.........

Comic_Peddler
10-16-2004, 01:08 AM

Those who forget the past........

ahctlucabbuS
10-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Those who forget the past........
Yea yea, I know the standard history quote.

What I mean is; Move on!

hobbes
10-16-2004, 02:05 AM
@Hobbes

And is what you're describing necessarily a good thing for the sake of our planet? NO

IMO we should fight agains nationalism that you describe, and forget the bloody past however it expresses itself...

We should all be fighting for progression of the world, and not for individual countries.

What does progression of the world mean? Where are we going? If you mean a global way of distributing housing, food, natural resources and wealth, well that sounds like a nice college term paper, but is ultimately naive.

You need to understand human nature and it's limitations.

What is France doing to make the world better? Please list for me any country that is out to save the world and not line it's pockets.

And our altruistic UN, created to save the world. Has turned into a money laundering scam. Illegal war, as declared by the corrupt UN, what a joke.

You think France gives a shit about the people of Iraq and the sovereignity of their nation? France had much more to gain financially by staying out of Iraq, and this is why they were going to veto an attack at all cost. Oil and money, that's all France cares about.

So if we fall in popularity votes, well that's not really a concern to me because it may reflect more about the agendas of other countries more than "right or wrong".

I think a more important piece of information is "how do Americans feel about their country and the path its leadership has taken". I for one don't think Bush has done anything but undermine our credibility on a very large scale, given the global media coverage concerning Iraq.

It basically tells the World, "Hell, I'm liable to do anything I please. I have no problem "justifying" it with lies or misinformation, and in the end, I just change my story".

ahctlucabbuS
10-16-2004, 02:33 AM
I'm not saying that the US should bend over and distribute their resources to the world as it is now.

I was just making a point as what seemed to me to be shameless praise about how the current system works, and how every country should look after itself.

I realise how the world works, but with progressing our planet I mean that we have to start changing the current system. We need to move on. Meaning we need to look past borders and realise that we're all living on the same planet. This might sound cliche, but it does so because it's a fact. This would of course have to apply to all countries including France.

Progression is to help feed the 3 billion people or so who are starving in the world.

Praisinig the current system isn't the right way to go imo, though this is getting pretty far off topic (just wanted to express what I meant by the previous post).

hobbes
10-16-2004, 02:40 AM
I edited my last post, as I thought everyone had gone to bed. Aparently you were composing a reply. You might check it out before you get the impression that I am praising Bush.

ahctlucabbuS
10-16-2004, 02:44 AM
Yea, I wouldn't normally be composing a reply at this hour.

I agree with your edit though...

Rat Faced
10-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Hobbes, the USA had a huge influence on the youth of the western world.

A couple of years ago the influence was positive, now due mostly to Bush, its virtually disappeared.

You were the Land of the Free... now we see that your not.

You were the greatest Democracy on Earth.... now we see that your not.

You looked after your own..... now we see that you dont.

You TRIED to bring peace..... now we see you brining war and putting peace even further out of reach.

In the last 2-3 years, the hollywood image has shattered....THATS what our young saw. Hollywood, a land of hero's.

Now they watch the news... to see their friends/family going to a war that shouldnt have been.

America is just the latest in a long line of world powers..

And its made its 1st big mistake as a world power, not only uniting nearly 1/3 of the world against it but making sure the populations of its allies have lost all respect for it 1st...

I've said before, that USA on balance has been a force for Good in the world. Ive also said that they have done some nasty things in both History and currently, just like the UK.

The Balance is rapidly changing though...and the kids of Europe, your future allies(?), are the ones that can see this as much as anyone. The current Governments may still support you...but the popualtions perceptions and beliefs in you are changing, we are democratic countries..

How long before anti-american becomes an election issue? Not long at this rate...

hobbes
10-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Well, when people base their opinions on a Hollywood ideal, reality is bound to be a disappointment.

Rat Faced
10-16-2004, 05:57 PM
This is indeed true Hobbes, however these ideals have been the USA's biggest export for most of the last century....

I think it was a rude awakening for those that didnt follow the news until their noses where buried in it.

Makes you wonder when they will look into their own History, and see that we arent exactly Angels, and never were even before all this...

;)