PDA

View Full Version : bloody mosquitos

vidcc
10-16-2004, 01:08 AM
We seldom get rain here but last week we had a fair amount (rained for days) and a few gullies filled up with water in the garden.
Last night we had a bonfire to get rid of the branches I cut off the trees and i got eaten alive by mosquitos. I didn't notice until i went indoors :huh:
I don't usually worry even about west nile virus but a couple of the bites have grown huge...one is nearly 3 inches diameter and the peek of the lump is almost 1/2 inch high :blink: ...i never get that reaction from spider bites

Am i going to die ???:unsure:

tesco
10-16-2004, 01:14 AM
i'd see a doctor if you were worried but i think getting bit in the same area a few times would make the bite really big.

vidcc
10-16-2004, 01:22 AM
i'd see a doctor if you were worried but i think getting bit in the same area a few times would make the bite really big.
i'm not in any discomfort or feeling unwell.... it's more worrying if there is no reaction sometimes as it means the body is not immune

100%
10-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Sounds bad - it probably means you got an infection, or you have a minor allergy to that one sting-look up on the web -insect stings\bites
there plenty of clear answers
if you start getting red veins crawling from it your in deep shit

hobbes
10-16-2004, 01:43 AM
We seldom get rain here but last week we had a fair amount (rained for days) and a few gullies filled up with water in the garden.
Last night we had a bonfire to get rid of the branches I cut off the trees and i got eaten alive by mosquitos. I didn't notice until i went indoors :huh:
I don't usually worry even about west nile virus but a couple of the bites have grown huge...one is nearly 3 inches diameter and the peek of the lump is almost 1/2 inch high :blink: ...i never get that reaction from spider bites

Am i going to die ???:unsure:

Vidcc,

Those little buggers inject you with a local anesthetic so that you won't feel them leeching your blood. Your skin reaction is the body's response to this injected chemical. Since there are many types of mosquito, there are different types of anesthetic and your body may respond differently to each one. In Missouri, I didn't react much too much to the local type, but these Texas mosquitos really give me a big skin wheal.

Point being, the skin reaction has nothing to do with the Nile Virus. The Nile virus gets access to your blood stream at the site of the bite, but that is not where the Nile Virus intiates illness.

And "yes", you will die, but that will be far into the future. I suspect you will be mauled by a senile carebear.

Cheese
10-16-2004, 05:09 AM
Mosquitos bite.

100%
10-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Mosquitos bite.

Wrong

its

Female Mosquitos bite

(the males dont)

vidcc
10-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Vidcc,

Those little buggers inject you with a local anesthetic so that you won't feel them leeching your blood. Your skin reaction is the body's response to this injected chemical. Since there are many types of mosquito, there are different types of anesthetic and your body may respond differently to each one. In Missouri, I didn't react much too much to the local type, but these Texas mosquitos really give me a big skin wheal.

Point being, the skin reaction has nothing to do with the Nile Virus. The Nile virus gets access to your blood stream at the site of the bite, but that is not where the Nile Virus intiates illness.

And "yes", you will die, but that will be far into the future. I suspect you will be mauled by a senile carebear.
not worried about west nile... if i was i would have posted this in my doctors office.... this is just a light hearted post in the lounge

Yogi
10-16-2004, 06:52 PM
How's the marriage, vidseasee????:o

Rat Faced
10-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Sounds more like a Horse Fly bite :blink:

DanB
10-16-2004, 06:53 PM
I woke up with a bite on my leg, it hurts cos I have to sit on it :(