PDA

View Full Version : IKE, Don't spoil it!

manker
10-17-2004, 02:09 PM
You've been an excellent admin since the board has been switched to VB. You've sorted out lots of problems and helped the board run much more smoothly. The EATB section would be a complete farce if you weren't running it. Well done. You probably have most of the board behind your promotion to admin as things stand.

But.

You seem to have a blind spot when it comes to dealing with members. I don't know what it is but every now and then you seem to want to flex your imaginary internet muscles. Bujub made a mistake, one that I noticed and to my detriment I forgot about telling him to delete the link as I was called away -- I did scroll down. I'm probably just as bad as him, maybe worse as I knew the stuff was there, doubtless he did not.

He does not deserve to be banned for this, a suspension is maybe appropriate - although since he was manically posting pics for about 2 hours you can take it as read that he did not know the content of that site, so I believe a warning is much, much more fitting in this case.

If you consider that posting inappropriate links to sites hosting the pics is worth banning then I can point at a tolerated inconsistency straight away. Bear in mind he only posted the link to the page because he was trying to spare the feelings of other's by not hotlinking a pic, he actually posted to that effect. Please consider these points.

Thanks.

DanB
10-17-2004, 02:12 PM
/me nods in agreement

Yogi
10-17-2004, 02:13 PM
[yogi nods ]

Good post.

Spicker
10-17-2004, 02:17 PM
/me nods in agreement
me too...

Mr. Mulder
10-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Indeed:01:

Emdee
10-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Well put. :)

enoughfakefiles
10-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Agreed. :01:

Rat Faced
10-17-2004, 02:27 PM
He is only gone for 2 days... from last night, so make that 1.5 days.

What is the difference between that and a suspension?

I've already told you, we cannot suspend or Moderate yet... In cases where this would normally occur, we can only ban atm.

The bans, unless discussed as permanent in Team Chat, are temporary...and should be looked at as a suspension.

Paul

RGX
10-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Free Sam!!!

Wait...

Emdee
10-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Free Sam!!!

Wait...
Where is Sam nowadays?

I thought he was unbanned? :huh:

manker
10-17-2004, 02:32 PM
He is only gone for 2 days... from last night, so make that 1.5 days.

What is the difference between that and a suspension?

I've already told you, we cannot suspend or Moderate yet... In cases where this would normally occur, we can only ban atm.

The bans, unless discussed as permanent in Team Chat, are temporary...and should be looked at as a suspension.

Paul
That's fine. My point is that a warning should be issued rather than a suspension but if that cannot be the case then so be it.

My main concern was IKE's post that the team were in discussion about increasing the ban or even making it indefinite.

I wanted to put over a different, explanatory side of the story to the stark 'Bujub posted disgusting pics' slant.

Cheese
10-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Where is Sam nowadays?

I thought he was unbanned? :huh:
I don't think he took too kindly to the new admin posting his IP address.:dry:

Emdee
10-17-2004, 02:34 PM
You're joking. :o

That is just a bit out of line right enough...

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 02:37 PM
You've been an excellent admin since the board has been switched to VB. You've sorted out lots of problems and helped the board run much more smoothly. The EATB section would be a complete farce if you weren't running it. Well done. You probably have most of the board behind your promotion to admin as things stand.

But.

You seem to have a blind spot when it comes to dealing with members. I don't know what it is but every now and then you seem to want to flex your imaginary internet muscles. Bujub made a mistake, one that I noticed and to my detriment I forgot about telling him to delete the link as I was called away -- I did scroll down. I'm probably just as bad as him, maybe worse as I knew the stuff was there, doubtless he did not.

He does not deserve to be banned for this, a suspension is maybe appropriate - although since he was manically posting pics for about 2 hours you can take it as read that he did not know the content of that site, so I believe a warning is much, much more fitting in this case.

If you consider that posting inappropriate links to sites hosting the pics is worth banning then I can point at a tolerated inconsistency straight away. Bear in mind he only posted the link to the page because he was trying to spare the feelings of other's by not hotlinking a pic, he actually posted to that effect. Please consider these points.

Thanks.

If he made a mistake why didnt he tell me that in the email he send me?
I still think you cannot link 2 that kind of website by 'mistake'.

I posted in the other thread:
---
About the ban instead of a moderation period:

We still don't know how the moderation stuff fully works on this board. We posted some ideas but we are still not informed by Rookie how we should do this. If I could put members on moderation yesterday I would have done that.
---

So now you know why I banned him instead of moderation.

Rat Faced
10-17-2004, 02:38 PM
That's fine. My point is that a warning should be issued rather than a suspension but if that cannot be the case then so be it.

My main concern was IKE's post that the team were in discussion about increasing the ban or even making it indefinite.

I wanted to put over a different, explanatory side of the story to the stark 'Bujub posted disgusting pics' slant.

Bujub has had plenty of warnings in the past.

Are you saying that we should only ever warn, and then not actually do anything?

Bujub has already had periods of Moderation...

Yogi
10-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks RF.

IKE, you would 've saved yourself a lot of trouble by not using the BAN word.

Yogi
10-17-2004, 02:42 PM

Are you saying that we should only ever warn, and then not actually do anything?

I thought warning was a action............

Banning is saving a lot of time.

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 02:45 PM
I thought warning was a action............

Banning is saving a lot of time.

thats correct

if you read my reply you should understand why i banned him ínstead of a moderation period.

manker
10-17-2004, 02:45 PM
If he made a mistake why didnt he tell me that in the email he send me?
I still think you cannot link 2 that kind of website by 'mistake'.

I posted in the other thread:
---
About the ban instead of a moderation period:

We still don't know how the moderation stuff fully works on this board. We posted some ideas but we are still not informed by Rookie how we should do this. If I could put members on moderation yesterday I would have done that.
---

I'm fine with why he is listed as banned and not moderated, that is clear - there is no alternative.

He made an error in judgement, maybe he wasn't articulate enough in his email to convey that.

The offensive pics were way below the run-of-the-mill rotton.com headless cadavers, about 3 page heights if you're using 1024X768 - it is quite concievable he did not see them since he only meant to link to the top face surgery pic. Which is the case. He probably come across the site using google thus wouldn't have known what the site was about - neither do I actually, and I spent a good 10 mins scrolling. Looking at the frequency of his posts at that time, I'll bet he was there for around 30 seconds only to copy paste he url.

Again, he only linked the whole site so as he wouldn't offend those who didn't want to click. If he'd hotlinked the picture without caring then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Thanks for addressing my original points :)

atiVidia
10-17-2004, 02:47 PM
what happened to the old admins? I even forgot their names :(

Peerzy
10-17-2004, 02:47 PM
New admin as in IKE or Krohn?

Anyway Paul (Rat Faced) said that mods/admins cannot moderate yet or suspend (VB Rawks don't it)

But IKE said:

Which means he did not know you could not moderate/suspend. Or at least it came out that way. So IKE why ban when you could have (as far as you knew) moderated or suspended?

Yogi
10-17-2004, 02:49 PM
thats correct

if you read my reply you should understand why i banned him ínstead of a moderation period.
Please, IKE.

You suspended him/his account.

A temp ban is like skating on water............

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm fine with why he is listed as banned and not moderated, that is clear - there is no alternative.

He made an error in judgement, maybe he wasn't articulate enough in his email to convey that.

The offensive pics were way below the run-of-the-mill rotton.com headless cadavers, about 3 page heights if you're using 1024X768 - it is quite concievable he did not see them since he only meant to link to the top face surgery pic. Which is the case. He probably come across the site using google thus wouldn't have known what the site was about - neither do I actually, and I spent a good 10 mins scrolling. Looking at the frequency of his posts at that time, I'll bet he was there for around 30 seconds only to copy paste he url.

Again, he only linked the whole site so as he wouldn't offend those who didn't want to click. If he'd hotlinked the picture without caring then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Thanks for addressing my original points :)

If it was a mistake I would like 2 hear that from himself and then I will forgive him.
But what he posted was against the board rules mistake or not.

manker
10-17-2004, 02:51 PM

I'm not saying that, I was trying to get some clarification as things were somewhat obscure. I didn't know Bujub had a high warn level, now I do.

I'm glad that things are out in the open now, as said before members don't have to know everything, to be honest, we don't care about most of the technical stuff, but when one of our friends gets the word "banned' under his name then the mod team should be fully open and frank in their explanations.

It is only my opinion, but I think the majority share it.

manker
10-17-2004, 02:52 PM
If it was a mistake I would like 2 hear that from himself and then I will forgive him.
That's fair enough, IKE. I agree :)

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Which means he did not know you could not moderate/suspend. Or at least it came out that way. So IKE why ban when you could have (as far as you knew) moderated or suspended?

As far as I know I can't put members on moderation or suspend them.

---
If he did not had a warning level above 10% on the other board I would not have done this.

Yogi
10-17-2004, 02:56 PM
But you can CALL it suspension.

I am getting repetitive.

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 02:57 PM
But you can CALL it suspension.

I am getting repetitive.

I understand you disagree with my action. But you must understand that this was the only option there was at this moment for this user.

Spicker
10-17-2004, 02:58 PM
banning for a period of time=suspension... :01:

so just get over it and bujub is not gone forever he will be back so lets just get over it and not fight/discuss this any further?

Emdee
10-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Here's an idea. How about a new section that only banned members and mods/admins can see and post in.

That way they can justify themselves in the same sort of roundtable atmosphere as the rest of the board instead of stodgy emails to one particular moderator.

Peerzy
10-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Quite along time ago a Mod here posted my IP address twice when trying to prove tghat i was using a second account, the picture was up on the board for about 5-7 hours. He had not ment to post it, i could have old the admin or someone and have his 'Modship' taken away or something like that but i chose not to. He removed the pictures without me having to contact him becuase he noticed his mistake and PM'd mesaying Sorry. Should i have taken this to the admins and made them ban/de-promote him? Becuase Bujub has made a mistake much like this Mod, as far as i can see you didnt give him a chance to remove the pictures and say sorry like i gave the mod a chance. Personally IKE your a good admin, just seem a bit to trigger happy to ban:(.

/me awaits ban:shifty:

Yogi
10-17-2004, 03:00 PM
I do not disagree with your initial action.(a 2 day suspension)

I disagree on how you communicate it.

Peerzy
10-17-2004, 03:02 PM
As far as I know I can't put members on moderation or suspend them.

---
If he did not had a warning level above 10% on the other board I would not have done this.
I had a warn level of 10% and was banned three times within two months! Admins seem to trigger happy with teh banage:dry:

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Who is saying it was a mistake? you are. not bujub himself.

I still think it was no mistake until HE says it was a mistake.

Rat Faced
10-17-2004, 03:03 PM
I had a warn level of 10% and was banned three times within two months! Admins seem to trigger happy with teh banage:dry:

But you have special relationship with some so it seems :P

Spicker
10-17-2004, 03:05 PM
:lol:

and u still come back to the forum :lol:

Yogi
10-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Emdee, i like that idea, but it won't happen, as all incoming messages from bannees

should be moderated.

The word BAN should only be used if it is permanent.

Yogi
10-17-2004, 03:07 PM

Is ths about honour or good ruling???:blink:

Peerzy
10-17-2004, 03:08 PM

Well he's banned so he can't PM anyone./ And making a new account breaks he ruloes and means you can ban him forever. hoe is he spose to say sorry if you havnt given him a chance?

@Rat Faced - Seems that if i say the word Paul its a ban these days. So how are you paul (Rat Faced) :shifty::rolleyes:.

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Well he's banned so he can't PM anyone./ And making a new account breaks he ruloes and means you can ban him forever. hoe is he spose to say sorry if you havnt given him a chance?

I send him an email so he has my emailadress.

RGX
10-17-2004, 03:11 PM
^ Cool. Call it the Dog House.

Peerzy
10-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I send him an email so he has my emailadress.
How do you knwo the email address he signed up with or that is in his profile is one he still uses?

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 03:17 PM
How do you knwo the email address he signed up with or that is in his profile is one he still uses?

because he already send replied 2 the email I send him.

tesco
10-17-2004, 03:18 PM
you just like arguing don't you. :P

Peerzy
10-17-2004, 03:21 PM
So in other words you were lucky he still uses it. I dont use my one i signed up for anymore so if you did that to me i would have no way of contacting you. To be honest your doing the classic, i made a mistake but can't admit it so im going to get my way. If he didnt reply what would you have done then? And seeing as there are no board rules if he had joined within the last 20 days he couldnt have been banned as he had no idea about breakjing any rules. Infact why dont i go make an account and post links to stuff that is against the rul....against nothing.

And the fact that the MODERATORS dont know how to MODERATE proves how great VB is.

Anyway i awiat my suspension....no wait you can't do that can you.

@Rossco - I like exploiting weaknesses and pushing people in to corners and watching them lash back out.

manker
10-17-2004, 03:24 PM
C'mon Peerzy, I've got the answers I started the thread for and am happy with them.

Seems most others are too ... can't we just leave it at a 2 day suspension and an admission from Bujub that he made a mistake?

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 03:26 PM
So in other words you were lucky he still uses it. I dont use my one i signed up for anymore so if you did that to me i would have no way of contacting you. To be honest your doing the classic, i made a mistake but can't admit it so im going to get my way. If he didnt reply what would you have done then? And seeing as there are no board rules if he had joined within the last 20 days he couldnt have been banned as he had no idea about breakjing any rules. Infact why dont i go make an account and post links to stuff that is against the rul....against nothing.

And the fact that the MODERATORS dont know how to MODERATE proves how great VB is.

Anyway i awiat my suspension....no wait you can't do that can you.

You have the option 2 change your mailadres. If you don't change it it's not my problem Peerzy. but that situation doesnt count ATM so there is no reason 2 discuss this.

RGX
10-17-2004, 03:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/RGX_FX/trainwreck.jpg

Peerzy
10-17-2004, 03:31 PM
You have the option 2 change your mailadres. If you don't change it it's not my problem Peerzy. but that situation doesnt count ATM so there is no reason 2 discuss this.

Wow VB does that:o! So if you ban someone intending to moderate (but you can't) and try and tell htem this and you can't its not your fault right?

Rat Faced
10-17-2004, 03:34 PM
FFS...

Peerzy, stop trolling...

The issue has been answered to most peoples satisfaction...

He has, in effect, been suspended for 2 days (not a long time)...

He'll be back tomorrow night, thankfully, coz he's an OK guy...

***Closed***

{I}{K}{E}
10-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Its not my fault if someone uses an outdated/incorrect emailadress and because of that I cannot contact someone.

But there is no reason for me 2 further discuss this with you so I stop this conversation with you.