PDA

View Full Version : Without a Doubt

ruthie
10-17-2004, 09:24 PM
This is an extremely long article, but well worth the read. It discusses Bush's faith, and how that has shaped his dealings with the world, in a way that is, I feel dangerous. When he doesn't know policy, confuses Sweden with Switzerland, makes decisions with his "gut and instinct", ignoring reports and advice...what are we left with? It also tells about people he's got worried in his own party, people he dismisses because he doesn't like what they are telling him. He is a danger to this country, and people really ought to take a look. ...ruthie

Bruce Bartlett, a domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan and a treasury official for the first President Bush, told me recently that ''if Bush wins, there will be a civil war in the Republican Party starting on Nov. 3.'' The nature of that conflict, as Bartlett sees it? Essentially, the same as the one raging across much of the world: a battle between modernists and fundamentalists, pragmatists and true believers, reason and religion.

''Just in the past few months,'' Bartlett said, ''I think a light has gone off for people who've spent time up close to Bush: that this instinct he's always talking about is this sort of weird, Messianic idea of what he thinks God has told him to do.'' Bartlett, a 53-year-old columnist and self-described libertarian Republican who has lately been a champion for traditional Republicans concerned about Bush's governance, went on to say: ''This is why George W. Bush is so clear-eyed about Al Qaeda and the Islamic fundamentalist enemy. He believes you have to kill them all. They can't be persuaded, that they're extremists, driven by a dark vision. He understands them, because he's just like them. . . .

''This is why he dispenses with people who confront him with inconvenient facts,'' Bartlett went on to say. ''He truly believes he's on a mission from God. Absolute faith like that overwhelms a need for analysis. The whole thing about faith is to believe things for which there is no empirical evidence.'' Bartlett paused, then said, ''But you can't run the world on faith.''

Forty democratic senators were gathered for a lunch in March just off the Senate floor. I was there as a guest speaker. Joe Biden was telling a story, a story about the president. ''I was in the Oval Office a few months after we swept into Baghdad,'' he began, ''and I was telling the president of my many concerns'' -- concerns about growing problems winning the peace, the explosive mix of Shiite and Sunni, the disbanding of the Iraqi Army and problems securing the oil fields. Bush, Biden recalled, just looked at him, unflappably sure that the United States was on the right course and that all was well. '''Mr. President,' I finally said, 'How can you be so sure when you know you don't know the facts?'''

Biden said that Bush stood up and put his hand on the senator's shoulder. ''My instincts,'' he said. ''My instincts.''

Biden paused and shook his head, recalling it all as the room grew quiet. ''I said, 'Mr. President, your instincts aren't good enough!'''

The democrat Biden and the Republican Bartlett are trying to make sense of the same thing -- a president who has been an extraordinary blend of forcefulness and inscrutability, opacity and action.

But lately, words and deeds are beginning to connect.

The Delaware senator was, in fact, hearing what Bush's top deputies -- from cabinet members like Paul O'Neill, Christine Todd Whitman and Colin Powell to generals fighting in Iraq -- have been told for years when they requested explanations for many of the president's decisions, policies that often seemed to collide with accepted facts. The president would say that he relied on his ''gut'' or his ''instinct'' to guide the ship of state, and then he ''prayed over it.'' The old pro Bartlett, a deliberative, fact-based wonk, is finally hearing a tune that has been hummed quietly by evangelicals (so as not to trouble the secular) for years as they gazed upon President George W. Bush. This evangelical group -- the core of the energetic ''base'' that may well usher Bush to victory -- believes that their leader is a messenger from God. And in the first presidential debate, many Americans heard the discursive John Kerry succinctly raise, for the first time, the issue of Bush's certainty -- the issue being, as Kerry put it, that ''you can be certain and be wrong.''
if you would like to see the entire article, here's the link (http://www.anywhichway.net/article.php/20041017163345846)

hobbes
10-17-2004, 09:49 PM
"people he dismisses because he doesn't like what they are telling him"

Hey, I know people like that!

Biggles
10-17-2004, 10:01 PM
If such is the case then perhaps we should be grateful he has expended so much energy and time chasing shadows in the mountains. If he, as he may well, obtains a further four years he might gainfully whittle these away too with more of the same.

scroff
10-17-2004, 10:02 PM
One thing to agree to disagree...another thing when you are head honcho and you can't hear or see shit...of course, except for God speaking directly to you and thru you, and your (plural) own interpretation of the bible

ruthie
10-17-2004, 10:04 PM
the above comment is mine. forgot to log honey out

scroff
10-18-2004, 07:47 AM
In my business people who talk to god are usually considered for medication...

Miss ya, doll...

Everose
10-19-2004, 12:34 AM
In my business people who talk to god are usually considered for medication...

Miss ya, doll...

A lot of people talk to God, Scroff. And some claim he talks back to them, which if it helps them get though this life is fine.

I think you are talking about the morally self righteous that can be very hypocritical, using God to suit their needs, all the while their own deeds are just the opposite. This scares me, too.

I don't think it has gotten quite to that extreme yet with Bush, but to me, it is one issue I am watching, because as I said, it scares me. And I guess it scares me because I have a healthy fear of the damage morally self righteous hypocrites can do.

I will have to say that it seems to me that it is often having to live with or deal with the morally righteous that lead people to your business. And of course, that is only my sincere opinion.

Rat Faced
10-19-2004, 08:49 AM
People that talk to god are usually Hospitalised, never mind put on medication..

The voices sometimes tell them to kill people...

Or maybe invade a country... :rolleyes:

scroff
10-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Yea, what RF said...

A lot of people talk to God, Scroff. And some claim he talks back to them, which if it helps them get though this life is fine.

That would be called prayer and meditation. While helpful to many, as you say, it is also a bit delusional in a way... a very close cousin to magical thinking. Young children write letters to Santa Clause... nevertheless it is generally more helpful than harmful. I do it myself, all the while wondering what the hell I'm doing.

In Bush's case I'm talking about psychosis.

Everose
10-19-2004, 02:33 PM
As I have said, I am concerned about this issue. And it is a controversial one, and always will be..

I will give you mania, and maybe a little delusional. Psychosis, I would have to doubt. My opinion only, but then, as any reports I have seen about Bush's mental health have been taken from afar and not by any one on one analysis.

I don't think Bushs looking for guidance from his God is any different than the Pope looking for guidance from his.

America is a very religious country.

ruthie
10-19-2004, 02:38 PM
There is a large protion of America that isn't religious, at least not in the typical indoctrinated way. Bush doesn't just "look" for guidance. God tells him what to do, god speaks to and through him, etc.. Remember his crusade comment? He thinks he's god's spokesman, blah, blah, blah.

Everose
10-19-2004, 02:44 PM
A lot of people think they do God's work. I don't always agree with their thought processes, but a lot do think they do.

You attack the religious in America, those that think like Bush, you attack quite a few.

But then I am afraid I have lost sight of what you are trying to do here, Ruthie. I have read what you offer, I have often read less biased views before the issue hits this board, and right wing views.

I think most on this board do.

But what of the person who reads, evaluates and still comes up with a candidate different than yours, Ruthe? Can you accept that?

ruthie
10-19-2004, 02:51 PM
A lot of people think they do God's work. I don't always agree with their thought processes, but a lot do think they do.

You attack the religious in America, those that think like Bush, you attack quite a few.

But then I am afraid I have lost sight of what you are trying to do here, Ruthie. I have read what you offer, I have often read less biased views before the issue hits this board, and right wing views.

I think most on this board do.

But what of the person who reads, evaluates and still comes up with a candidate different than yours, Ruthe? Can you accept that?
I don't attack the "religious americans" There are religious people that don't think like Bush, at all. Mixing church and state is, however, an issue, especially when it influences policy.
What am I trying to do? A week or so ago, it was stated I have an agenda. I agreed that that was true..to get Bush and his dangerous administration out of office. Of course, I have other agenda's too.
I have no problem with people having differing opinions than I do. Diversity makes the world go round. Hell, my son will probably vote for Nader. He's entitled to vote how he wants, as is everyone.
I do think it is important for people to educate themselves, though. I do not only read what many term "liberal" news. What people term liberal is a joke. Kerry a liberal? Nada. Me? yup.

Everose
10-19-2004, 03:01 PM
I am glad to hear this. That you can accept that other people do read, other people are just as educated as you on the subject and still can come up with different conclusions than you.

BTW, do you know if there exists a link to Kerry's actual voting record? Not with commentary, but just his voting record?

ruthie
10-19-2004, 03:08 PM
I am glad to hear this. That you can accept that other people do read, other people are just as educated as you on the subject and still can come up with different conclusions than you.

BTW, do you know if there exists a link to Kerry's actual voting record? Not with commentary, but just his voting record?
Project Vote Smart (http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=S0421103)

Busyman
10-19-2004, 03:09 PM

I would be interested in that as well. ;)

Everose
10-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks Ruthe, I really appreciate it.

Mathea
10-19-2004, 06:33 PM
while i dont believe in any of the organized religion, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I do think however that it should be seperate from issues. Granted, ppl integrate their faith into their lives, but from what i have seen (and it isnt much as im working alot and rarely home to watch news and debates and such) Bush does put it outthere alot more than most.

You're right there Everose, to be wary of it. While there is a large number of ppl that are of the same faith as Bush, there are plenty of people that Im sure can keep it to themselves. My question is, do any of you know how much religious stuff Kerry puts into his speeches? (Sorry, Im trying to get up to date on the recent things I have missed).

ruthie
10-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Kerry was asked about his faith in one of the debates, and he did talk about it. He also adds comments here and there, which I wish he wouldn't. That's just because I strongly believe in church and state seperation.

Biggles
10-19-2004, 07:17 PM
The difficulty of running for office in the some countries, and the US appears to be one of them, is that certain sections of the population want a bone of recognition thrown their way on these matters during elections.

In truth, Bush has thrown big bones but done surprisingly little. A matter not lost on the Pat Robertsons and Jerry Falwells - who rate Bush little better than most of his predecessors. I believe it is called Real Politik.

spinningfreemanny
10-19-2004, 08:34 PM
In truth, Bush has thrown big bones but done surprisingly little. A matter not lost on the Pat Robertsons and Jerry Falwells - who rate Bush little better than most of his predecessors. I believe it is called Real Politik.

True; The Presidental office is very important, but also has it's own limitations. My history professor told us today that "our founding fathers constructed our government so that a great president is not necessary to function and succeed."

I guess that it would sure help though...

vidcc
10-19-2004, 09:43 PM
True; The Presidental office is very important, but also has it's own limitations. My history professor told us today that "our founding fathers constructed our government so that a great president is not necessary to function and succeed."

I guess that it would sure help though...
I agree society wouldn't collapse, but there are times when a decision should come down to one man and that's when that man needs to be a "great" president
This doesn't mean that the one man should not be accountable for that choice, the buck should always stop with the man at the top