PDA

View Full Version : Audio Ripping To .mp3

fkdup74
02-19-2004, 06:13 PM
The idea behind this thread was to hopefully make
a more beginner friendly guide to ripping quality audio,
and to offer more options for doing so.

Thanks to all who have supported this thread with their ideas.

NOTE
All posts in this sticky are different users'
opinions/experiences with different ripping tools.
As it all boils down to personal preference,
it is up to you to decide whats best for you.

Why .mp3? Its the most compatable compressed audio format around.
(compression and compatability are key)
I've yet to see a media player that does not support .mp3 playback by default.
And compression is needed because CD audio and .wav files
are generally 7 to 10 times larger than .mp3 files.

FKDUP's ripper.......
dBpowerAMP (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/)
n00b friendly, yet fast and reilable,
has multiple codec support (which are free at their site)
and can be tweaked to rip with the best
and its FREE, so no more excuses to try and share .wma or .ra!

FKDUP's encoder......
LAME encoder
intergrated into dbPoweramp
(some apps require that you add this separately)
and xing encoded songs suck ass compared to LAME :P

FKDUP's settings.....
MINIMUM 192 kb/s CBR
(In tight communities such as Slsk, this is the bare minimum.)
128's suck, nobody wants em.

Lots of ppl are moving to VBR (variable bitrate) for better quality with less size.
Theres an explanation in Paul's sticky about the benefits of VBR.
http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=22763
And also further along in this thread is an explanation by summerlinda.

B)

Samurai
02-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Nice Post...

Samurai's Suggestions...

Samurai's Ripper

FreeRip 2.60 (http://www.mgshareware.com/)

FreeRip is a freeware application that let you save audio CD tracks to Wav or MP3 or Ogg Vorbis audio files. FreeRIP is also an audio file converter since it can convert and encode Wav files to Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) or MP3 (.mp3), and back.

FreeRIP is a CD ripper, this means that it can record digital audio tracks directly from audio CD to files on your hard drive (this process is known as "ripping"). You can save tracks as CD quality WAV files or encode them to Ogg Vorbis or MP3 compressed audio format.

Samurai's Encoder

See Above. FreeRip does this all for you.

Samurai's Settings

Default Encoding Format: MP3
Mode: CBR (Constant Bitrate)
Min Bitrate: 192
Stereo/Mono: STEREO

Afronaut
02-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Yes, this is lookin Good. B)

Im about to Pin something here, but few questions first:

Should we have the Pinnes Closed so its not going to Explode to 1000 post
festival with comments like "cool", "great", "nice"...
I mean, it should only have the Guides innit, right?
Nobody likes to go through a Thread when you need to crawl through a lot of
posts to get the Info.

In the other hand, if i leave it open, them Authors could Edit them Guides
if needed, kinda like keeping things up to date.

:cool2:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 12:27 PM
:) Yeah Slinger have it Closed like Pauls and only the Authors could Edit them.

:huh: Now does Pauls get added to them?What happens with his? :huh:

summerlinda
02-20-2004, 02:37 PM
As some of you might know Ive been reading a lot about ripping lately [the damn forum still doesnt let me in <_< ] And I did some testing and comparing also.

If youre serious about this and want nothing but the best Id recommend this site for some [a lot actually] reading Hydrogenaudio (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php)? & Comprehensive FAQ (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=7516)

I know, I know.... I always was a AudioGrabber fan, because EAC failed me too many times.
I&#39;m changing my mind however. I deleted the "Chris Myden way EAC" and reinstalled EAC [the normal way] And had no problems with it since. Its more complicated to set up then other rippers, true, but theres lots of good tutorials out there.

I still think AudioGrabber is one of the best [+ userfriendly, simple, choose from many settings and its freeware nowadays. etc] But from now I only gonna rip my cd&#39;s with EAC [--alt- preset extreme = 224-256 VBR]
Its not like I hear any difference between my AudioGrabber and EAC rips, my ears are too bad for that, I trust on the experts in this case :rolleyes:

Now shoot me :P

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 03:51 PM
:P No thanks.dbpoweramp always for me.224 Bitrate(even though 192 is still good and really should be doing them at 256 or 320) CBR STEREO encoded with Lame 3.93.If you do not like it then do not have to Download it.I made them for my Ears anyways. :P

;) These Guides are for the Noobs.The rest of us our set in our ways.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda@20 February 2004 - 09:37
If youre serious about this and want nothing but the best Id recommend this site for some [a lot actually] reading Hydrogenaudio (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php)? & Comprehensive FAQ (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=7516)
;) And are you saying we can not hang with these Guys?Tell them to bring it to MusicWorld&#33; :01:

:P

summerlinda
02-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+20 February 2004 - 18:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN &#064; 20 February 2004 - 18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-summerlinda@20 February 2004 - 09:37
;) And are you saying we can not hang with these Guys?Tell them to bring it to MusicWorld&#33; :01:

:P [/b][/quote]
You can have your Dbpoweramp :box:
BTW, shouldnt you be in HardwareWorld fixing your PC problems? :rolleyes: :devil:

Vargas
02-20-2004, 04:22 PM
not that anyone here USES kazaa. or shares files on fasttrack, BUT if you do, it&#39;s best to encode as VBR instead of CBR if encoding over 128kbs, so they will show up in searches for regular kazaa users.

my 2 cents :lookaround:

summerlinda
02-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Vargas@20 February 2004 - 18:22
not that anyone here USES kazaa. or shares files on fasttrack, BUT if you do, it&#39;s best to encode as VBR instead of CBR if encoding over 128kbs, so they will show up in searches for regular kazaa users.

my 2 cents :lookaround:
Huh? :huh:
Why? Can you search for VBR or CBR on Kazaa? I dont get it...

Anyway, the real reason why you should rip to VBR

Near the beginning and ending of a song (assuming it starts and ends softly), where the volume is lower, and the music is less &#39;demanding&#39; in terms of its encodability, it makes sense to drop the bit rate, simply because there&#39;s not much there to encode, and the wasted space is overkill. In the middle of the song, where it may be more complicated, the idea of giving the encoder the option of &#39;bumping up&#39; the rate on a frame-by-frame basis is great&#33; You may end up with a file that&#39;s the same overall size as a 192kbps CBR, but that uses frames as low as 32 on the really dead parts, and as high as 320 on the really tough parts. The bitrate is dynamically adapting to keep the quality constant. To know that the whole file isn&#39;t bloated where it isn&#39;t necessary, is a real bonus.

Q: My friend says that VBR MP3s are better. I&#39;ve always encoded my MP3s with CBR, and I always thought that was better. Which one do you think is better? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

A: If you set your files to encode with CBR (constant bitrate) on a somewhat complex piece, quality will vary. If you set your file to encode with VBR (variable bitrate), the bitrate will vary but the quality won&#39;t.

Use CBR encoding to limit the size of the MP3 file or produce consistent and predictable file sizes. Use VBR for consistent audio quality, when you don&#39;t care about file size.

Most people encode MP3s in CBR because it has been around longer and maintains consistency in compression. In order to maintain constant bitrate throughout the file, difficult passages (for example, passages containing a relatively wide stereo separation), may be encoded with fewer than the optimal number of bits.

When encoding easy passages (for example, passages containing silence or a relatively narrow stereo separation), the encoder uses more bits than necessary in order to maintain the constant bitrate. Consequently, difficult passages may experience a decrease in quality, while easy passages may include unused bits.

VBR ensures consistently high-quality audio throughout an encoded file. It makes intelligent bit-allocation decisions throughout the encoding process based on a scale you set in the preferences. VBR produces an overall higher, more consistent quality level compared to CBR at similar bitrates.

Because a VBR-encoded MP3 file consists of variable bitrates throughout the file, you can&#39;t easily predict the MP3 file size. Don&#39;t use VBR encoding when you need to predict or limit the size of the MP3 file.

CBR/ABR/VBR: the 3 encoding modes

LAME is able to encode your music using one of its 3 encoding modes: constant bitrate (CBR), average bitrate (ABR) and variable bitrate (VBR).

Constant Bitrate (CBR)
This is the default encoding mode, and also the most basic. In this mode, the bitrate will be the same for the whole file. It means that each part of your mp3 file will be using the same number of bits. The musical passage beeing a difficult one to encode or an easy one, the encoder will use the same bitrate, so the quality of your mp3 is variable. Complex parts will be of a lower quality than the easiest ones. The main advantage is that the final files size won&#39;t change and can be accurately predicted.

Average Bitrate (ABR)
In this mode, you choose the encoder will maintain an average bitrate while using higher bitrates for the parts of your music that need more bits. The result will be of higher quality than CBR encoding but the average file size will remain predictible, so this mode is highly recommended over CBR. This encoding mode is similar to what is reffered as vbr in AAC or Liquid Audio (2 other compression technologies).

Variable bitrate (VBR)
In this mode, you choose the desired quality on a sqale from 9 (lowest quality/biggest distortion) to 0 (highest quality/lowest distortion). Then encoder tries to maintain the given quality in the whole file by choosing the optimal number of bits to spend for each part of your music. The main advantage is that you are able to specify the quality level that you want to reach, but the inconvenient is that the final file size is totally unpredictible.

Vargas
02-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda@20 February 2004 - 16:35
Huh? :huh:
Why? Can you search for VBR or CBR on Kazaa? I dont get it...
because regular kazaa users can only get search results for mp3&#39;s 128kbs and lower
and VBR shows up in kazaa as 128kbs

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 05:17 PM
;) Look all I am saying is just because this other so called "audio enthusist" forum says a certain way is better does not mean you have to go with that.

It is my Ears.It sounds fine to me.And I know I am not the only one that does CBR. :D

:P See this is why the Sticky should be closed.It will be 10 Pages long of what way is right. :P

:lol:

Afronaut
02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@20 February 2004 - 19:17

:P See this is why the Sticky should be closed.It will be 10 Pages long of what way is right. :P

Good Point...

:)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 05:24 PM
:) There I bumped the other Thread with the Poll.Will not Post anymore in here.Not good at doing up a Guide and others have done well anyway. :)

:D Time to think of another Sticky. :D

* :lol: Maybe that Poll should be a Sticky. :lol: *

Afronaut
02-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah, the Bitrate Poll has lotsa "Debating" allready about whats the best.

I&#39;ve been thinking maybe taking out all the cool Posts about Software and make a
one Sticky of them all, kinda like copy/paste. I think i saw a Winamp Guide also...

And then Close it.

Hows about that folks?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Guitar&#045;Slinger@20 February 2004 - 12:28
Yeah, the Bitrate Poll has lotsa "Debating" allready about whats the best.

I&#39;ve been thinking maybe taking out all the cool Posts about Software and make a
one Sticky of them all, kinda like copy/paste. I think i saw a Winamp Guide also...

And then Close it.

Hows about that folks?
:) We all will agree to that Slinger. :)

:huh: I have to ask again.What about Pauls Thread.We do not want 2 of them dealing with the same thing.Just going to add them right?

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 05:36 PM
:P You can thank me for the Idea on this Sticky later by Buying me a Beer.The Weekend is here&#33; :P

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 05:36 PM
:o Double Post&#33; :o

*I said I would not Post anymore in here didnt I? :huh: *

CrumbCat
02-20-2004, 05:40 PM
*CrumbCat is hoping this is helpful.......

Okay, you want my opinion? Here you go....
(The following information is a mix of past posts by Jibbler, some of my own words, and additional information from the OCR ripping guide)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you really want to create quality rips and get the most out of your time invested, you need something which will create NFO/SFV/M3U files automatically.

Ripping groups have designed kits which are very easy to understand, and they all use EAC/Lame, QuickSFV for making/checking SFV files, CDTag for proper tagging (tag and rename is ok, but they want to be consistent and uniform), and some short tutorials....

Okay, here is where things get interesting... the "scene" standard (the rules used by ripping groups) argue that mp3s are to be 192 Constant Bit Rate. Some audiofiles will argue that VBR (variable bit rate) encoding is better...

In order to see the bigger picture, you have to understand one small detail. The &#39;mp3 scene&#39; has now made a commitment in 2004 to make all their rips VBR. This includes some major groups like FNT, RNS, aPC, and more... however, instead of a low quality 128 VBR rip, they are talking about either 256 or 320 for CD quality VBR.

After some detailed comparisons, it appears that the file sizes (of 192 CBR vs. the new VBR standard) are about the same. Approx 3 to 5 mb for a song. The new VBR standard uses a different way of encoding VBR than people have been using in the past. It should have advantages over 192CBR files, and should sound much better than your basic VBR (alt-preset-standard)...

If you have been paying attention to the new releases available on mIRC as well as SoulSeek, you have noticed that the new VBR standards have been impliminted.....and if you have listened to any of these files, you have heard for yourself that the quality is as good as it gets - hands down.

So, having said all of this, here is what I use:

CrumbCat&#39;s ripper.......
Exact Audio Copy 0.95 Prebeta 3
* It works with a new technology, reading audio CDs almost perfectly. If there
are any errors that can&#39;t be corrected, it will tell you on which time position the
possible) distortion occurred, so you could easily control it with e.g. the media
player.
Features of EAC
* Usage of the Windows 95 and Windows NT ASPI Interface, so both SCSI
and ATAPI CD-ROM drives are supported
* Hidden sector synchronization (jitter correction)
* Secure, fast and burst extraction method selectable. Fast extraction
should get the same speed as other grabbers, but is probably not exact
anymore. Burst mode just grabs the audio data without any
synchronization.
* Read error and complete lost of sync detection and correction in
secure modes, as far as possible
* Output of time positions of all non exact corrections and listen to
these positions
* Copy of ranges of music data, not only tracks
* Automatic Speed reduction on errors and fallback afterwards
* Normalization of extracted audio
* Usage of the Windows Audio Compression Manager (ACM Codecs) for direct
compression e.g. to MP3 waves
* Support for the BladeEnc DLL that is usable like an ACM Codec for
online MP3 compression
* Support of external MP3, VQF, RA and AAC encoders for automatic
compression after extraction
* Batch compression and decompression of/to WAV files
* Compression offset support for exact compression/decompression
* Detection of pre-track gaps
* Detection of silence in pre-track gaps
* Automatic creation of CUE sheets for CDRWin, including all gaps,
indicies, track attributes, UPC and ISRC
* CD player functionality and prelistening to selected ranges
* Automatic detection of drive features, whether a drive has an accurate
stream and/or does caching
* Sample Offsets for drives with no accurate streams, including the
option of filling up missing samples with silence
* Option for synchronizing tracks for non-accurate stream drives
* Filename editing with local and remote CDDB database and cdplayer.ini
support and more features like ID3 tagging
* Lyric database support from www.lyrics.ch
* Browse and edit local database
* Certified Escient ® CDDB™ Compatible
* Local CDDB support
* Record and Loop Record functions for recording from LP, radio, etc.
* Automatic rename of MP3 files according to their ID3 tag
* Catalog extraction function
* Multisession (CD-Extra) support
* CD-Text support
* ID3 Tag editor with drag and drop possibility from track listing and
database
* Glitch removal after extraction
* Small WAV editor with functions for delete, trim, normalize, pad,
glitch removal, pop detection, interpolation of ranges, noise
reduction, fade in/out, undo and more
* Program is Cardware, so feel free to copy

CrumbCat&#39;s encoder......
LAME 3.90.3
Intergrated into EAC (some apps require that you add this separately) and, IMO, all other songs encoded by anything else suck a&#036;&#036; compared to LAME

CrumbCat&#39;s settings.....
I use "%s %d --alt-preset standard" as the command line for VBR encoding, where the % point to the respective file names for EAC&#39;s use.
Setting the bit rate from this drop down menu is moot because that is always taken care of by whatever preset you choose.
Picking high or low quality wont matter what its set to because again this is all taken care of via the presets.

Using EAC
Goto EAC | Configuration Wizard... to configure your CDrom drives.
- Choose "I prefer to have accurate results" when the time comes.
- It&#39;s up to you whether you want to trust any pre-detected values.
- DO NOT let it detect Lame for you it might find an old version of it.
UNCHECK that option when it comes to it.
- As for the email address, leave it blank.
- Also tell it that you&#39;re an expert. That way you have access to all options.

Goto EAC | Drive Options... | Drive and pick "Autodetect read command now..."

Then exit EAC so it saves the settings to file.

Ripping:
Restart EAC
1. Insert the CD and wait. The track titles should be automatically filled in by FreeDB.
- If not get the FreeDB Info by clicking on the CD icon (3rd from right).
- If all else fails do it later in CDTag.

2. Press Shift+F6, create a new folder on your hard drive, enter this folder and click save.
- It will now test rip the track and copy the track. The test is to make sure that it rips the
same, if the CRCs match on the test and actual copies there&#39;s a better chance your rip is good.
- Then it will pause the ripping and open the LAME encoder in a MS-DOS window to encode the files
from WAV to MP3.

3. All tracks should say Track quality 100.0% (or near 100.0%) in the Status Report when ripping has completed.
- All tracks should say Copy OK as well and "No errors occurred" should be at the bottom of the report.
- If any tracks weren&#39;t up to par quality-wise, try ripping those tracks again.
- If you can&#39;t rip them perfect, don&#39;t rip them at all.

So, that&#39;s it, take it for what it&#39;s worth. My hope in sharing this information is that from this point forward, everybody&#39;s rips will be 100% accurate, as well as consistent - nobody wants to spend time downloading a full album, only to then hear glitches in the tracks&#33;

Enjoy,

CC

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 05:44 PM
;) Ok I am sorry(I am Posting in here again).But a NOOB is going to get confused over all this.He sees some of us say CBR and some others say VBR and what not.

Maybe Slinger you make the First Post Explaning why that is. :)

Afronaut
02-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@20 February 2004 - 19:36
:o Double Post&#33; :o

That means Double Beers &#33; &#33; ;)

Anyway, Pauls EAC topic is pretty cool, im not gonna ruin it, maybe UnPin it tho.
In fact, i got the same topic in my HaredDrive for OffLine browsing. :)

Im thinking of collecting all the Cool Posts about different Rippin&#39;-Software to
into a one Pinned Topic.
It should be easy place to for any Newbie to start His/Her Collection. :)

Probably im going to add few words about Orange CD (or maybe FC could make a post)
and SoulSeek.

Afronaut
02-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Woah, nice one CC. :D

So, question is, do we need 2 different Guides now?
Pro and n00b?

Or, i could add the Pro Comments in the later of the Pinned...
Like Pauls and CrumbCats post here...

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 05:53 PM
;) Like I have been saying.Just because one Person says it is a certain way.Why is that the "PRO" way?

There is no best way.I do not care what anybody says.It is all up to that listener really.

CBR or VBR.As long as it is over 192 it is good.Ohhh sorry.192 was last Year with us.This Year is 224 or 256.Next Year 320 and then we are done. :P :rolleyes: :P

*Sorry.Turning this back into a debate.But it is a debate on this Sticky.*

CrumbCat
02-20-2004, 05:57 PM
I do think we need a Beginner&#39;s guide as well as an Expert&#39;s guide.....I have seen too many old-timers using various crap programs for ripping, thinking they know best just that just because they have been around the MP3 scene for years.......that is why I posted what I did.

And, some n00bies are actually well educated, intelligent individuals who would rather start out with the good stuff (the expert guide) and not waste their valuable time with anything labeled &#39;beginner&#39;.

CC

Afronaut
02-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Ok, i&#39;ll Pin this one now.
Lets see if its gets too Long & Difficult for New ppl,
then we can "debate" again what to do.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn im trying to get on the SS and cant get the Network happening on the other pc....
Might have to to HardwareWorld also... (need to create account..)

fkdup74
02-20-2004, 06:00 PM
So, question is, do we need 2 different Guides now?
Pro and n00b?

think its already been explained that EAC isnt a n00bie friendly proggie,
but ppl can still learn it, so its up to you GS B)

CBR or VBR.As long as it is over 192 it is good.

not true...xing encoded 192 is still shite, trust me
now lets all STFU (wit teh luv :D ) and let GS clean this one up B)

Vargas
02-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by FKDUP74+20 February 2004 - 16:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FKDUP74 @ 20 February 2004 - 16:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vargas@20 February 2004 - 08:40
because regular kazaa users can only get search results for mp3&#39;s 128kbs and lower
and VBR shows up in kazaa as 128kbs
:huh: i used to get 160, 192 etc. search results...
not too often, cause theres not that much HQ stuff on kazaa,
but they were out there.....
[/b][/quote]
regular kazaa users have the registry setting:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Software&#092;Kazaa]
"LimitBitrate"=dword:00000001

and don&#39;t get any results over 128kbps for mp3&#39;s :frusty:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 06:13 PM
;) Sorry if I am getting this wrong.But some People are saying VBR is the better way.And that should be the "Expert" or "Pro Guide"?Why is that?

:huh: Like I said.Sorry if I am misunderstanding People here. :huh:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-20-2004, 06:32 PM
:P Just to Point something out to People who read all this. :P

We are here to discuss a question by considering opposed arguments.

:P Debating&#33; :P

CrumbCat
02-20-2004, 06:36 PM
No apologies necessary FC, you have a valid point.

I&#39;m not trying to say that what I posted is THE expert way, I&#39;m just saying that&#39;s what the Scene Standard is. The people who belong to the Biggest, most well established ripping groups have been ripping for many years, and apparently have lost of time on their hands to figure this stuff out - so I for one am happy to take their advice - it&#39;s up to each individual to decide for themselves what they want to do, hence my previous words:

So, that&#39;s it, take it for what it&#39;s worth. My hope in sharing this information is that from this point forward, everybody&#39;s rips will be 100% accurate, as well as consistent - nobody wants to spend time downloading a full album, only to then hear glitches in the tracks&#33;
This topic, just like every other one, is in essence, an open debate which generates information for those interested members to read and decipher for themselves. There will NEVER be a single method for ripping which will be agreed upon by everyone.

My intention was to share the information I have been fortunate enough to have received, and that it would be helpful to some.

CC

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-23-2004, 10:44 AM
:ph34r:

wienerschnitzel
02-27-2004, 12:37 AM
@CrumbCat - you said that groups used "designed kits" when they do encodes, what other softeare do they use? should i be adding all the other stuff to my encodes?

also i followed paul&#39;s guide and I able to to make a nice encode on my first try. It quite easy if you know how to follow directions and if you have some common sence. I concidered my self a noob before (i used wmp before :)) but now i fell im a bit better.
just one question though, does EAC use the alt preset standard setting thingy by default like i think it does? how do i set it to do a higher VBR, one like the groups are using now?

summerlinda
02-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@27 February 2004 - 02:37
just one question though, does EAC use the alt preset standard setting thingy by default like i think it does? how do i set it to do a higher VBR, one like the groups are using now?
No --alt- preset standard is not default for using EAC, its is only default for the Chris Myden (http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=Elite_DAE&file=painless) Profile EAC.

I dont think theres a default preset...

Preset Description

CBR 320 (Highest possible quality)
--alt-preset insane Produces the highest quality MP3s possible with a bitrate of 320 kbps

VBR (Variable Bitrate) settings
--alt-preset extreme Even Higher Quality than Standard - usually averages around 256kbps

--alt-preset fast extreme Even Higher Quality than Standard - usually averages around 256kbps. Encodes faster than the above^ but produces very slightly lower quality.

--alt-preset standard Very High Quality - usually averages around 192 kbps

--alt-preset fast standard Very High Quality - usually averages around 192 kbps. Encodes faster than the above^ but produces very slightly lower quality.

ABR (average bitrate) settings

--alt-preset <bitrate> Produces the highest quality ABR files. Specify a number between 8 and 320. The values do not need to be a mainline bitrate, (96, 112, 192) it can be 114, example: --alt-preset 114

CBR (constant bitrate) settings

--alt-preset cbr <bitrate> Produces the best quality CBR files possible with MP3. Used the same way as above except the bitrates specified must be mainline bitrates between 8 and 320. Example: 80, 112, 128, 160, --alt-preset cbr 160.
Note: --alt-preset cbr 320 *is* identical to --alt-preset insane.

How to set to a higher VBR? I think its best to uninstall the "Chris Myden way EAC" and download EAC from the EAC site (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/), download LAME (http://lame.sourceforge.net/) here (http://mitiok.cjb.net/) or an earlier version elsewhere.

Put both in the same folder, Install EAC, run it, in the menu go to [EAC] --&#62; [Compression Options] --&#62; [Browse] there point to the LAME file.
Additional Command Line Options: --alt- preset extreme
Make sure all the settings are the right way e.g this (http://www.grapefruit.org/mp3ing/) way.
Ofcourse you can use your own settings.

CrumbCat
02-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Excellent work, summerlinda&#33;

Glad to see this topic is being helpful to at least one of the n00bies.

@CrumbCat - you said that groups used "designed kits" when they do encodes, what other softeare do they use? should i be adding all the other stuff to my encodes?

No need for that, as you are not part of a ripping group. Just follow the guide as seen in summerlinda&#39;s post, and you will be on your way.

CrumbCat

BILLY-THE-FISH
02-28-2004, 12:31 AM
I have 2 questions for you Crumbcat

1.When using dMC audio cd input, is there a quick way of entering all the names
i.e. on the net, without having to type them all individually?

2.Why doe&#39;s that bloke FKDUP74 keep on saying delete this thread?? :lol: :lol:

Cheers&#33;&#33;

CrumbCat
02-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@27 February 2004 - 17:31
I have 2 questions for you Crumbcat

1.When using dMC audio cd input, is there a quick way of entering all the names
&nbsp; i.e. on the net, without having to type them all individually?

2.Why doe&#39;s that bloke FKDUP74 keep on saying delete this thread??&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:

Cheers&#33;&#33;
Question 1:

Using EAC

1. Insert the CD and wait. The track titles should be automatically filled in by FreeDB.

2. Press Shift+F6, create a new folder on your hard drive, enter this folder and click save.
- It will now test rip the track and copy the track. The test is to make sure that it rips the
same, if the CRCs match on the test and actual copies there&#39;s a better chance your rip is good.
- Then it will pause the ripping and open the LAME encoder in a MS-DOS window to encode the files
from WAV to MP3.

3. All tracks should say Track quality 100.0% (or near 100.0%) in the Status Report when ripping has completed.
- All tracks should say Copy OK as well and "No errors occured" should be at the bottom of the report.
- If any tracks weren&#39;t up to par quality-wise, try ripping those tracks again.

Question 2:

I have no idea.....

CC

BILLY-THE-FISH
02-29-2004, 01:59 AM
Cheers CC

But what is that "TRY PP" (that rocket shaped icon) business all about?

CrumbCat
03-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@28 February 2004 - 18:59
Cheers CC

But what is that "TRY PP" (that rocket shaped icon) business all about?
I will answer that, but first a question:

Why are you asking me - I don&#39;t use dBpowerAMP - I use EAC.

Now, your answer:

---

dMC Power Pack - Feel the Power&#33; (Click on the rocket to go to the page directly)

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/images/dmc/Rocket.gif (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-pack.htm)

The Power Pack is an addition to dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC), an addition that expands dMC with a whole host of powerful and advanced options, the Power Pack contains:
*Lightening Fast CD Ripping with &#39;Rip to Ram&#39; and &#39;Rip & Encode at Same Time&#39; options,
*Preview Audio CDs in CD Input, rip multiple tracks as one.
*Organize your music collection with ID Tag editing,
*Set priority whilst converting, optionally shutdown computer after conversion.
*Send Audio files easily to your portable mp3 player with Sveta Portable Audio,
*Fun Bars - changes the Percentage bar between many excellent designs:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/images/dmc/pp-pcbar-GoldBar.gif

---

Hope that helped you,

CC

BILLY-THE-FISH
03-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks again CC&#33;
Sorry to ask you but i thought it was you who started this thread but since read back and realised you did&#39;nt&#33; :huh:

CrumbCat
03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Not a problem - always glad to help.

CC

Afronaut
03-31-2004, 08:18 AM
Alllriiiiiight&#33;

:)

Deleted some posts to clean up the thread a bit.

Also, how about adding some sorta guide here for rippin&#39; to Ogg Vorbis ?

I know its not the most famous format and you can go "debate"
about the formats and such in these Polls:

Bitrates (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=94257&hl=Poll:)

Genres (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=67969&hl=Poll:)

Another Genre related (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=33633&hl=)

The point is to keep this Guide thread somewhat clean of non-related posts,
so it would be easier for ppl to get the information about rippin&#39;.
If someone wants to make a post about rippin&#39; to Ogg-Vorbis or other
formats (please, not wma... :P ), its fine by me,
but go debate about which one is the best format elsewhere, this thread is about rippin&#39;, right? That Bitrate Poll has some serious posts about formats, i recommend to take a peek.

CrumbCat
04-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Ok - Loomis had some problems today with EAC not connecting to FreeDB. The issue was that when he inserted the CD, EAC didn&#39;t recognize it. TheFix is to have EAC configure your CDrom drives. So, as a reminder, do the following (as I stated before in my previous post):

Using EAC
Goto EAC | Configuration Wizard... to configure your CDrom drives.
- Choose "I prefer to have accurate results" when the time comes.
- It&#39;s up to you whether you want to trust any pre-detected values.
- DO NOT let it detect Lame for you it might find an old version of it.
UNCHECK that option when it comes to it.
- As for the email address, leave it blank.
- Also tell it that you&#39;re an expert. That way you have access to all options.

Goto EAC | Drive Options... | Drive and pick "Autodetect read command now..."

Then exit EAC so it saves the settings to file.

Ripping:
Restart EAC

Enjoy, hope it works out for you.

CC

fkdup74
06-10-2004, 04:38 AM
ok, since GS never locked this one,
and since my post in musicworld was....ermmm....lost recently :P
i will say it again....
i have just quit dbpowerAMP, moved to EAC :01:

it wasnt too bad installing, just a little tricky getting that first rip :P
a little FAQ reading does wonders :lol:
but...
@ summerlinda...i used the chris myden profile and tweaked it some
cause the fkdup74 profile wasnt cutting it :lol:
either way, i got it to rip B)
maybe i should spend some more time in this thread :unsure:

:P

Gilojeleia
07-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Its too messy here... Can anyone just write where I can find these rippers? And a poll to find who&#39;s the Best... For novices all this posts is meanless... <_<

BILLY-THE-FISH
08-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by CrumbCat@20 February 2004 - 16:41
&nbsp; &nbsp; - All tracks should say Copy OK as well and "No errors occurred" should be at the bottom of the report.
&nbsp; &nbsp; - If any tracks weren&#39;t up to par quality-wise, try ripping those tracks again.
&nbsp; &nbsp; - If you can&#39;t rip them perfect, don&#39;t rip them at all.

Enjoy,

CC
Crumbcat could you possibly tell me why nearly all my rips using your mentioned EAC+ Lame end up with a Log that says "Errors Occured" at the bottom, but the music sounds fine and there arn&#39;t any sound errors I can hear?

sparsely
08-04-2004, 12:20 AM
could you post one of your log files?

CrumbCat
08-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH+3 August 2004 - 15:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BILLY-THE-FISH @ 3 August 2004 - 15:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CrumbCat@20 February 2004 - 16:41
- All tracks should say Copy OK as well and "No errors occurred" should be at the bottom of the report.

Enjoy,

CC
Crumbcat could you possibly tell me why nearly all my rips using your mentioned EAC+ Lame end up with a Log that says "Errors Occured" at the bottom, but the music sounds fine and there arn&#39;t any sound errors I can hear? [/b][/quote]
I have no idea....but I can give you this site/tutorial, which is very helpful:

EAC & LAME Quickstart Manual - Get EAC and LAME up &#39;n running in 10 minutes (http://users.pandora.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm)

Hope that helps.

CC

BILLY-THE-FISH
08-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by CrumbCat+4 August 2004 - 20:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CrumbCat @ 4 August 2004 - 20:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by BILLY&#045;THE&#045;FISH@3 August 2004 - 15:40
<!--QuoteBegin-CrumbCat@20 February 2004 - 16:41

Enjoy,

CC
Crumbcat could you possibly tell me why nearly all my rips using your mentioned EAC+ Lame end up with a Log that says "Errors Occured" at the bottom, but the music sounds fine and there arn&#39;t any sound errors I can hear?
I have no idea....but I can give you this site/tutorial, which is very helpful:

EAC & LAME Quickstart Manual - Get EAC and LAME up &#39;n running in 10 minutes (http://users.pandora.be/satcp/cd2mp3-en.htm)

Hope that helps.

CC [/b][/quote]
Thanks for help&#33;

BILLY-THE-FISH
08-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Sparsely@3 August 2004 - 23:21
could you post one of your log files?
I have posted a log in main music room&#33;
sorry I seemed to have asked the same question in 2 threads :unsure:

DOLBET
05-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Excellent, I have searched high and low for those informations...

theagent
06-14-2005, 10:29 PM
I have a slight problem. Unfortunately, I'm new to your forum and don't know if this has been covered [i didn't find it]. i just bought the foo fighter's "in your honor" cd, and it's protected. CDex 1.51 isn't reading anything. Which program should I use? I'll be really pissed if I can't put this on my mp3 player.

-theagent

shazzar
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I have a slight problem. Unfortunately, I'm new to your forum and don't know if this has been covered [i didn't find it]. i just bought the foo fighter's "in your honor" cd, and it's protected. CDex 1.51 isn't reading anything. Which program should I use? I'll be really pissed if I can't put this on my mp3 player.

-theagent

try "TUNEBITE" program, just drag&drop the files into Tunebite's list, choose the desired encoding and let it convert. Havent used it in ages but should still work.

charro01
02-18-2006, 03:25 PM
always exist a form to be better .Easy CD Ripper is an all-in-one music tool for ripping and converting,it extracts audio CD tracks to audio formats MP3, WAV, WMA, VQF, OGG, APE with excellent output quality and high ripping speed.

achillies
03-23-2006, 04:44 PM
hey i even agreee with you. it is realy a gud idea.

k20importtuner
06-10-2006, 06:59 PM
thanks!

LegendaryU2K
06-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Deep Ripper 1.1.

ponko
06-17-2006, 02:16 PM
10x man!

tdao
07-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Db Amp Power Is Very Good
THANXX

vellasco
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Personally I convert with Soundtaxi (http://www.soundtaxi.info), cause it allows to convert on 12x speed and removes DRM easily :)

weasrock
07-06-2006, 01:45 PM
whats the best way to rip from audio tape to MP3? Right now I'm using another program to record the audio through my PC to wav, then using DB amp power to convert to MP3. But with DB amp power installed my windows media player has no sound? any advice

lynx
07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
whats the best way to rip from audio tape to MP3? Right now I'm using another program to record the audio through my PC to wav, then using DB amp power to convert to MP3. But with DB amp power installed my windows media player has no sound? any advice
Your method of capturing the audio is correct, but there are a number of products which will convert your wav file to mp3.

The most common use the lame (http://lame.sourceforge.net/) product, but that's a command-line tool so you will probably want to find a windows product which uses the lame plug-in. If you get the k-lite codec pack (full version) you'll find a front end and plug-in which should do the job for you.