PDA

View Full Version : Best Anti-war/protest Song?

carbert
03-26-2003, 10:25 PM
i suggest Operation Ivy - Unity
anyone else?

Rocktron
03-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Bob Marley and the Wailers: "War" tells it all!
It's on the "Rastaman Vibration" album.
http://images.allposters.com/images/149/2975.jpg

jetje
03-26-2003, 11:51 PM
two tribes.... franky goes to hollywood is the best imo especially with the videoclip....

runner ups....
war - edwin starr is one
give peace a chance - john lennon

LongJohn
03-27-2003, 01:35 AM
There's a new anti-war track by DJ shadow and Zach De La Rocha (ex of Rage against the Machine). I think its called March of Death. Its good but I still cant make out what Zach is ranting. Just as well that its up on a site with the lyrics along side the download.

http://www.marchofdeath.com/

LJ

"The Avatar Man"
03-27-2003, 01:56 AM
system of a down "boom" :D :D :D

jobes
03-27-2003, 02:17 AM
I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die-Rag By Country Joe sung at Woodstock

merlin-1
03-27-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Master YodaX@26 March 2003 - 20:56
system of a down "boom" :D :D :D
I would have to go with that one too!!!

jakert50
03-27-2003, 05:34 AM
Anti-war song, eh? How about just singing "I'm an idiot."

You see, protesting against war is sort of an oxy-moron (or however you spell it). To put it into view, those soldiers overthere are fighting for the Iraqi&#39;s freedom, and our freedom (and safety) as well. They are fighting for your free speech, of which you are using against them. They fight wars so you can protest, and protest against them fighting wars. Now, does that not make sense or what? <_<
I&#39;m just sick and tired of all these anti-war people who really have nothing better to do than to out and proclaim that they are better than everyone else (including those who are fighting for you), and stand on their soap box and tell everyone they are wrong. We have been waiting 12 years for this war. Enough resolutions have been passed, and because the UN (which doesn&#39;t work anymore) didn&#39;t take the initiative, we did. And how about the inspectors&#39; jobs? Well, I guess the illegal weapons that Sadam was shooting out of his country weren&#39;t really from him, were they...?
Seriously... if you were fighting for something, would you want others to put you down and tell you basically in your face that what you are doing is wrong and worthless?

Personally, I stand up for, salute, and support our troops, whether overseas, over the boarder, or across the street. And you should too.

soopaman
03-27-2003, 07:51 AM
"Machine Gun" by Jimi Hendrix. The live version on the Band of Gypsys L.P is sublime. The way the precussion and bass hold the song together while Jimi goes off is amazing. If you haven&#39;t heard it - Get Downloading&#33;&#33;

N£MO
03-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by jakert50@27 March 2003 - 06:34
Anti-war song, eh? How about just singing "I&#39;m an idiot."

You see, protesting against war is sort of an oxy-moron (or however you spell it). To put it into view, those soldiers overthere are fighting for the Iraqi&#39;s freedom, and our freedom (and safety) as well. They are fighting for your free speech, of which you are using against them. They fight wars so you can protest, and protest against them fighting wars. Now, does that not make sense or what? <_<
I&#39;m just sick and tired of all these anti-war people who really have nothing better to do than to out and proclaim that they are better than everyone else (including those who are fighting for you), and stand on their soap box and tell everyone they are wrong. We have been waiting 12 years for this war. Enough resolutions have been passed, and because the UN (which doesn&#39;t work anymore) didn&#39;t take the initiative, we did. And how about the inspectors&#39; jobs? Well, I guess the illegal weapons that Sadam was shooting out of his country weren&#39;t really from him, were they...?
Seriously... if you were fighting for something, would you want others to put you down and tell you basically in your face that what you are doing is wrong and worthless?

Personally, I stand up for, salute, and support our troops, whether overseas, over the boarder, or across the street. And you should too.
I agree with you there...cant even get away from this war in musicworld&#33;&#33; :w00t: :w00t:

jetje
03-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by jakert50@27 March 2003 - 07:34

They are fighting for your free speech if they are why aren&#39;t we allowed to state were against war ???

To put it into view, those soldiers overthere are fighting for the Iraqi&#39;s freedom, and our freedom (and safety) yes they brainwashed you 2... I felt pretty safe before this war started in the 1st place.

I&#39;m just sick and tired of all these anti-war people who really have nothing better to do than to out and proclaim that they are better than everyone else (including those who are fighting for you), and stand on their soap box and tell everyone they are wrong.
Well we can shake hands. i have the opposite...

Enough resolutions have been passed, and because the UN (which doesn&#39;t work anymore) didn&#39;t take the initiative, we did
Because they didn&#39;t do as you wanted them to do it doesn&#39;t mean it won&#39;t work no more... It just won&#39;t work for you no more so who is there to blaim.. <_<

Well, I guess the illegal weapons that Sadam was shooting out of his country weren&#39;t really from him Did you ever wonder where he got those from, and why?? If there are any left...?

Seriously... if you were fighting for something, would you want others to put you down and tell you basically in your face that what you are doing is wrong and worthless? yes they are fighting for something... but that is not world peace or of any interest for normal civilian people, although politicians try to make you believe different...

There are a lot of people that have no "OUR" troops in this war. I hope all soldiers and civilians will survive this crazy madness... I regret all dead, wounded from both sides. I also have my worries for all those that have to live with these tragedy.. seeing all those terror around... Hope the Iraqi children and all people (soldiers from both sides) involved in there will survive without a lifetime trauma....

Knuckles187
03-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by jakert50@27 March 2003 - 05:34

i agree with this guy...

as i have stated in a few other posts.. i am not all together for the war but at the same time.. i dont think is Shouldnt be happening....

it is going on.. nothing you say or do will change that

so giveit a rest.. :(

marlowe_is_dead
03-27-2003, 01:59 PM
my personal favourite has always been the fish cheer by country joe mcdonald, from woodstock.

"and It&#39;s 1, 2, 3
what are we fighting for?
don&#39;t ask me, I don&#39;t give a damn,
next stop is viet nam.

and it&#39;s 5, 6, 7
knocking on the pearly gates,
ain&#39;t no time, to wonder why,
whoopee, we&#39;re all going to die."

a great song

carbert
03-27-2003, 04:56 PM
ermm....no matter how stupid it may sound, i wasnt actually talking directly about the iraqi conflict, i just wanted to know peoples favourite anti war/PROTEST songs, i was not joining the whole iraq debate

Spindulik
03-27-2003, 06:57 PM
mp3 (http://www.butlerwebs.com/iraq/bombiraq.mp3)

Alright. It is the worst song.

jetje
03-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by carbert@27 March 2003 - 18:56
ermm....no matter how stupid it may sound, i wasnt actually talking directly about the iraqi conflict, i just wanted to know peoples favourite anti war/PROTEST songs, i was not joining the whole iraq debate
yes sorry Carbert... ,
It was jakert50 who made a remark because of what i thought better place it here...
Otherwise i shoulda have deleted his contribution, which could sounded as some sort of censorship.
Which i would avoid, cause i do have opinions in this debate...

We coulda expect people to link to this in these sad days...

Hope you will forgive me.. :(

carbert
03-27-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by jetje+27 March 2003 - 20:32--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 27 March 2003 - 20:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--carbert@27 March 2003 - 18:56
yes sorry Carbert... ,
It was jakert50 who made a remark because of what i thought better place it here...
Otherwise i shoulda have deleted his contribution, which could sounded as some sort of censorship.
Which i would avoid, cause i do have opinions in this debate...

We coulda expect people to link to this in these sad days...

Hope you will forgive me.. :( [/b][/quote]
lol its ok man i wasnt really mad at you :P

DataMore
03-27-2003, 07:58 PM
The best peace song (not anti-war) would have to be John Lennon&#39;s Imagine.
Simple and extremely powerful. ;)

Imagine there&#39;s no heaven
It&#39;s easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there&#39;s no countries
It isn&#39;t hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I&#39;m a dreamer
But I&#39;m not the only one
I hope someday you&#39;ll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I&#39;m a dreamer
But I&#39;m not the only one
I hope someday you&#39;ll join us
And the world will live as one.

jakert50
03-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by jetje+27 March 2003 - 05:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 27 March 2003 - 05:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jakert50@27 March 2003 - 07:34

They are fighting for your free speech if they are why aren&#39;t we allowed to state were against war ???

To put it into view, those soldiers overthere are fighting for the Iraqi&#39;s freedom, and our freedom (and safety) yes they brainwashed you 2... I felt pretty safe before this war started in the 1st place.

I&#39;m just sick and tired of all these anti-war people who really have nothing better to do than to out and proclaim that they are better than everyone else (including those who are fighting for you), and stand on their soap box and tell everyone they are wrong.
Well we can shake hands. i have the opposite...

Enough resolutions have been passed, and because the UN (which doesn&#39;t work anymore) didn&#39;t take the initiative, we did
Because they didn&#39;t do as you wanted them to do it doesn&#39;t mean it won&#39;t work no more... It just won&#39;t work for you no more so who is there to blaim.. <_<

Well, I guess the illegal weapons that Sadam was shooting out of his country weren&#39;t really from him Did you ever wonder where he got those from, and why?? If there are any left...?

Seriously... if you were fighting for something, would you want others to put you down and tell you basically in your face that what you are doing is wrong and worthless? yes they are fighting for something... but that is not world peace or of any interest for normal civilian people, although politicians try to make you believe different...

There are a lot of people that have no "OUR" troops in this war. I hope all soldiers and civilians will survive this crazy madness... I regret all dead, wounded from both sides. I also have my worries for all those that have to live with these tragedy.. seeing all those terror around... Hope the Iraqi children and all people (soldiers from both sides) involved in there will survive without a lifetime trauma.... [/b][/quote]

if they are why aren&#39;t we allowed to state were against war ???
That&#39;s the point... you can state you are against war, because they fought for that freedom.

ME: To put it into view, those soldiers overthere are fighting for the Iraqi&#39;s freedom, and our freedom (and safety)&nbsp; YOU:&nbsp; yes they brainwashed you 2... I felt pretty safe before this war started in the 1st place.
Perhaps you felt safe because our defenses are high. But hey, I guess everyone who lost their lives at the World Trade Centers don&#39;t matter??....they don&#39;t count???....what..are we supposed to just drop it and forget it? Sadam is a real danger. You thought airplanes flying into buildings was bad enough (or maybe you didn&#39;t..)....do you think getting killed by biological weapons and chemicals is any better??

Because they didn&#39;t do as you wanted them to do it doesn&#39;t mean it [ the UN] won&#39;t work no more... It just won&#39;t work for you no more so who is there to blaim..
Oh, I guess you are right. I guess the next time we need a resolution in the UN to be passed and be put into effect, we should ask them 12 years prior to when we plan to execute the action.... Perhaps I went a little too far in saying the UN doesn&#39;t work (completely), but waiting 12 years to take action is far too long for me.

Did you ever wonder where he [Sadam] got those [illegal weapons] from, and why?? If there are any left...?
What are you trying to get at? Where he got them? Most are made in the country he resides in...the country we are attacking: IRAQ. Why? Why else? Do you think he got them for decoration? Sadam is evil. His reseigm needs to be stopped. Those weapons could have been used on either us, or worse, his own people, becuase he doesn&#39;t give a care about his own people. All he is concerned about is him maintaining his power.

yes they [our soldiers] are fighting for something... but that is not world peace or of any interest for normal civilian people, although politicians try to make you believe different...
Enlighten me. What are they fighting for. Just for the heck of it? Just to kill civilians? Just for oil? For goodness&#39; sake, if we want oil, we have the entire state of Alaska for that. We could care less for the oil. The profits off the oil are going to be used to rebuild Iraq anyway.

There are a lot of people that have no "OUR" troops in this war. I hope all soldiers and civilians will survive this crazy madness... I regret all dead, wounded from both sides. I also have my worries for all those that have to live with these tragedy.. seeing all those terror around... Hope the Iraqi children and all people (soldiers from both sides) involved in there will survive without a lifetime trauma....
I also hope they will survive without a lifetime trauma... and the only way to do that is to rid of Sadam, liberate Iraq, and make it a free country so they can reap the benefits of a free enterprise economy.
Being an American, although I know absolutely no one in the armed services, they are still MY troops. They are concerned for MY safety, and the safety of others. They are making more of a sacrifice....their own life....than you or anyone else not fighting will ever make.

I know I&#39;m just a small voice in this whole "theatre", but I will continually support my troops overseas. I praise President George W. Bush for his wisdom in this situation. He attempted to use diplomatic solutions to the furthest extent, and was unsuccessful. We must rid the world of terrorism. "Because this is America. This is who we are. This is what our enemies hate and have attacked. And this is why we will prevail." (George W. Bush, Radio Address, September 15, 2001)

Crackedup
03-28-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by jakert50@28 March 2003 - 00:34

I also hope they will survive without a lifetime trauma... and the only way to do that is to rid of Sadam, liberate Iraq, and make it a free country so they can reap the benefits of a free enterprise economy.

Just like the US liberated El Salvador, Panama, Somalia, Vietnam, Chile, Bosnia and just about everywhere else they have tried to impose their self interests? :angry:

jakert50
03-28-2003, 02:31 AM
I&#39;ll admit I don&#39;t agree with alot of the moves previous Presidents have done, but this is more of a concern to me because Sadam is a real threat. We are against anyone who harbors terrorists. And he is a terrorist.

Besides, I&#39;m talking about this war, not Bill Clinton&#39;s "just to fight for nothing" Bosnia war.

sAdam
03-28-2003, 07:23 AM
"Alice&#39;s Restaurant"

great anti-war song

fallenknight308
03-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jakert50@26 March 2003 - 21:34

Here, Here&#33; :o
I just saw some of these Hippie/liberal types on tv. The retards were looting and spraying graffiti everywhere. WTF&#33;
These idiots think they are sooooooo "cultured" and "enlightened" I think we should drop THEM over there, so they can understand what it truly means to be free&#33; :lol:

Crackedup
03-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by fallenknight308@28 March 2003 - 11:04
&#39;I love the smell of napalm in the morning&#39;
I suppose you think that&#39;s hilarious?&#33; Have you ever seen people burnt to death by napalm.....no didn&#39;t think so. How crass and insensitive - perhaps you ought to change your custom member title to &#39;complete knobhead&#39; :angry:

fallenknight308
03-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Crackedup+28 March 2003 - 02:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Crackedup @ 28 March 2003 - 02:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--fallenknight308@28 March 2003 - 11:04
&#39;I love the smell of napalm in the morning&#39;
I suppose you think that&#39;s hilarious?&#33; Have you ever seen people burnt to death by napalm.....no didn&#39;t think so. How crass and insensitive - perhaps you ought to change your custom member title to &#39;complete knobhead&#39; :angry: [/b][/quote]
It is a quote from "apocalypse now" Robert duvall to be exact, and NO I DON"T find it "hilarious" I know what napalm is used for, I also know what chem/bio weapons are used for. And I would not wish these on any one&#33; I&#39;ll change it if that will help make you more comfortable. <_<

Crackedup
03-28-2003, 12:45 PM
I don&#39;t share your views about the war, but I entirely agree with your new member title. Let&#39;s just hope it&#39;s sooner rather than later. I didn&#39;t know you were qouting from a film, but thanx for changing it. B)

Barbarossa
03-31-2003, 03:56 PM
It&#39;s a toss-up between "Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and "Civil War" by Guns N&#39; Roses.

jetje
03-31-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa@31 March 2003 - 17:56
It's a toss-up between "Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and "Civil War" by Guns N' Roses.
Yes Forgot the guns and Roses One.... 2 of the very best and sadly very true songs

ezyryder
03-31-2003, 11:48 PM
Two songs. Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix (a beautiful masterpeice) which says it all really about evil men making him use machine guns to tear each others bodies apart "even tho we are families apart". However, this song can be analysed in many a way. Its face value, about a machine gun. Second value would be the effect the gun has had on americas freedom and thirdly about love.

Star Spangled Banner, Jimi Hendirx :)

many hate this song, I think it is breath-taking. Apparantly a lot of nam&#39; fighters cried when they heard this&#33; The sounds hendrix makes on his guitar mimics america&#39;s bombing and the suffering and the death, listen carefully I hope you can see what he is trying to say.