PDA

View Full Version : Guides Section

tesco
10-19-2004, 02:19 AM
We should be allowed to post in a topic but just not allowed to create new ones.

natedogg
10-19-2004, 02:22 AM
We should be allowed to post in a topic but just not allowed to create new ones.
i agree ;)

lynx
10-19-2004, 08:37 AM
I disagree.

I'm not saying that guides shouldn't be added to, but random posts detract from the point of having pinned guides, namely to cut out all the waffle which often gets added to a thread.

I think an alternative would be to have a single thread with links to posts which people would like added to a guide. Once the guides section is up and running possibly the current pinned thread could be used for this purpose. I haven't had chance to talk to {I}{K}{E} about this (I'm away and only have limited access atm) but I think it follows on from his original idea.

Mind you, we would probably need a guides mod. What makes me think I have just made work for myself.:rolleyes:

Cheese
10-19-2004, 08:58 AM
I prefer a guide just to be what the original poster intended with no posts from anyone else.

If something needs amending then the original poster can do it.

It can't be beyond the realms of possibility for the admin to make it so people can start threads in the section but not post. (I can set that up on my board I know).

That way the thread started can edit his post in the future if he feels his guide needs updating.

Perhaps have a subsection in the Guides section where everyone can post freely for people to comment on the guides constructively.

If a guide needs more than one post (because of word limits and picture limits) just make multiple threads and have a mod merge them when you've finished.

lynx
10-19-2004, 09:32 AM
I prefer a guide just to be what the original poster intended with no posts from anyone else.

If something needs amending then the original poster can do it.

It can't be beyond the realms of possibility for the admin to make it so people can start threads in the section but not post. (I can set that up on my board I know).

That way the thread started can edit his post in the future if he feels his guide needs updating.

Perhaps have a subsection in the Guides section where everyone can post freely for people to comment on the guides constructively.

If a guide needs more than one post (because of word limits and picture limits) just make multiple threads and have a mod merge them when you've finished.I think that's what I was implying, but I wasn't aware of the possibility of stopping others posting in a thread. I don't know if that's a possibility in VB or not.

As for adding to a guide, obviously my thoughts on that could be adapted so that the original poster could be asked if a proposed addition is permitted/desirable. It would be a shame to have a good guide which has become inaccurate because of changes over time, when others could add updates if the original poster is no longer active on the board.

Cheese
10-19-2004, 09:59 AM
I think that's what I was implying, but I wasn't aware of the possibility of stopping others posting in a thread. I don't know if that's a possibility in VB or not.

As for adding to a guide, obviously my thoughts on that could be adapted so that the original poster could be asked if a proposed addition is permitted/desirable. It would be a shame to have a good guide which has become inaccurate because of changes over time, when others could add updates if the original poster is no longer active on the board.
I'd imagine it would be possible to stop posting. You have permissions for what people can see (I can't see Team Chat for instance) but I don't know VB that well.

Perhaps if a guide was made by someone who is inactive the guide could be posted by a mod with an acknowledgement of the original poster in the thread title or somesuch. That way it could be updated. (But we get back to the more work for mods bit:lol: )

{I}{K}{E}
10-19-2004, 10:07 AM

You are allowed to post a reply but not to make a new thread.

TheRealDave
10-19-2004, 10:24 AM
yeah as somewhere to ask questions if they were to have problems following the guide

tesco
10-22-2004, 02:19 AM
are the guides every going to be moved there? :rolleyes:

peat moss
10-22-2004, 02:55 AM
are the guides every going to be moved there? :rolleyes:

You know its hard, for a senior member like me to find the guides! How is a new member suppose to ask for help ? So they ask here and get flamed for it! Brillant. :lol:

RealitY
10-23-2004, 06:30 AM
This ia a rather starange Guide as it seems the original poat has been changed I think...
http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=83318

Cheese
10-23-2004, 06:48 AM
You know its hard, for a senior member like me to find the guides! How is a new member suppose to ask for help ? So they ask here and get flamed for it! Brillant. :lol:

Don't sweat it Peat. There are no new members.

100%
10-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Here follows a text by an idiot

Is this not a forum?:huh:
and
Are the guides Really that Perfect???:huh:

By allowing Replies in the Guides section;

Members normally have something more to offer, suggestions, faults in the guide etc - this will only help the guide improve and grow.

Replies keeps the Guide alive - the most interesting Guides will get pushed to the Front

The replies suggestions from members will make the original guide poster keep updating the guide.

Replies in the form of questions can only be benificial to the guide, and readers especially if it is a confusing hitech guide.

Guides created by members are sometimes/mostly not complete - replies allow for fixes.

If the Replies goes off topic - Moderaters are there to fix that (ie:not close the thread but remove offtopics, or close it Temporarily until the heat is off)

By not permitting replies the Guide section becomes a DeadZone....

Aren't guides there so you can learn from them, ask questions and respond with what you have learnt from them?

There is no way i would hire a guide, have parents or a girlfriend or friends for that matter with whom i cannot interact with.

Monologues are Boring

Simple Logic;)

______________________________________-

now read the post below by IKE

{I}{K}{E}
10-26-2004, 01:51 PM
I totally Disagree with that it is not permitted to Reply in the Guides section.

srry but you CAN reply in the guides section since it was created ;)

100%
10-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Ooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppsssssss

Sorry

Sorry

Sorry

Sorry

:blushing:

:frusty:

:lol:

*Note 15% read before you write*

Peerzy
10-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Still half the guides are locked anyway so we can't post in them.

{I}{K}{E}
10-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Still half the guides are locked anyway so we can't post in them.

will check that now.
---
Edit:
There were only 4 locked!! :frusty: