PDA

View Full Version : Question About Software/hardware To Transfer Video

J-Dawg
03-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I'm looking to buy a new computer with software to transfer videos from VHS to DVD. What software and hardware should I get if I buy a new computer from Dell. Thanks
:)

ShareDaddy
03-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by J-Dawg@26 March 2003 - 20:00
I'm looking to buy a new computer with software to transfer videos from VHS to DVD. What software and hardware should I get if I buy a new computer from Dell. Thanks
:)
More than DELL can offer you for certain.

First off you would be better off buying an after market DVD burner, I suggest the SONY DRU500AX, as it supports various media types and allows you to use the largest selection of blank media. All DVD Burner drives do not support the use of all blank media, even if they are all -R or +R, Sony seems ot have the best overall compatibility.

Next in order for you to transfer VHS to your PC in the best possible Quality I would say you should purchase the Dazzle DVD Creation Station (click HERE (http://www.dazzle.com/products/dcs200.html)). TechTV has given this product thier blessing as far as Quality and speed from VHS or any other non-digital format to digital.

As for blank media, Ritek would be your best bet, the darker the dye, the better the burn Quality and reliability. Ritek is not the top fo the line, however as far as value that would be the best bet for blank media.

As for the DELL system itself, make sure you get the biggest hard drive available and then if need be you can always add another (as I have done). RAM and a good video card would be your next most important upgrades, I recommend at least 512 Mb's or ram and a 128 Mb video card (with TV out if possible as it is always a good thing to have).

As for the processor, never buy the fastest thing out, it will always cost way too much of a premium, buy the second to the fastest processor available and you should be in like flynn (old saying) meaning all set, good to go.

Good luck.

PS- If you do go with the after market burner, make sure to get at least a DVD rom drive with the DELL, if you can afford it I would suggest you get a combo drive like a CD-RW and DVD-Rom drive, having 2 DVD drives (combo+after market) will become necessary should you want to start doing other things with your burner and as DVD burners are a tad bit slower than current CD burners a combo drive just may what you would want, I wish I had one. If you will be buying the Sony or other after market drive I would suggest just leaving the second bay empty or if DELL is still oferring a free drive go ahead, just make a note that you will probably move it to another PC.