PDA

View Full Version : Explorer shutting down when I open folder

musicmaster
10-22-2004, 10:48 PM
I just downloaded subtitles for Kill Bill Vol. 2 and read that I had to place them in the same folder as the movies and name them the same thing... except dont change the file extension.

Anyway, I did that, although, every time I open the folder with the movie and subs... windows explorer shuts down and I have to open the folder again... only to have it happen over and over again.

Anyone have any ideas why???

Emdee
10-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Try accessing the folder with the command prompt and move the files manually to different locations while you work out what's wrong.

No idea why it would do that tho. :(

iMartin
10-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Mine used to do that too...:(

It eventually quit though.

musicmaster
10-25-2004, 11:03 PM
Well, I surely dont know why it is happening, hence the post :) but that would be nice if it disappered magically. If anyone else has any ideas on why it's happening, and a good remedy, that would be peachy keen!!!

Another thing I noticed is that the subs I downloaded for this movie runs the subs all the way through the entire movie. I only want the parts that arent in English subbed. Do I have to go and manually go through the text and remove those parts or is there another download that has only the Japanese(subs)??

Anyone know?? Thanks :)

4play
10-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Im guessing the movie is slighty corrupt so when explorer scans the movie to make a nice little image for you with the file name it crashes.

set the view to list and see what happens.

Smurfette
10-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Try turning off webview in folders?

musicmaster
10-28-2004, 01:49 AM
Im guessing the movie is slighty corrupt so when explorer scans the movie to make a nice little image for you with the file name it crashes.

set the view to list and see what happens.

Well, I didn't have any problems before I moved the subs files to the folders that the movie was in. The folder opened fine, now it says Windows Explorer has to shut down, and closes the folder and sort of resets my desktop.

I cant change the way it shows the files in this particular folder, as I stated when I open the folder... it shuts it down. I do have another copy of this movie on my machine, which doesnt have subs at all in it. I thought the one I had just acquired had the subs... but no go. Anyway, when I try to access the original movie that I have ... the same thing happens... Explorer shuts it down too... and this never happened before with this one either. So, I am wondering wtf happened!!!! UGH!!!

I probably will just delete both of these files and maybe get it from someone else.

Thanks all.

tesco
10-28-2004, 01:58 AM
music master, at the comment about the eniac weighing only 1.5 tonnes.

when i was researching the ENIAC for a school assignment i read a quote by someone that said something like "i beleive that in the future computers will have over 40,000 vacuum tubesand weigh over 60 tonnes."
lol.

musicmaster
10-30-2004, 12:34 AM
music master, at the comment about the eniac weighing only 1.5 tonnes.

when i was researching the ENIAC for a school assignment i read a quote by someone that said something like "i beleive that in the future computers will have over 40,000 vacuum tubesand weigh over 60 tonnes."
lol.

Well Ross, no wonder you're a post whore :D hehe, but that is pretty funny though, whether its 1 ton or 60 tons!!! But my pc is too damn heavy!!!

musicmaster
11-22-2004, 02:36 AM
I just downloaded subtitles for Kill Bill Vol. 2 and read that I had to place them in the same folder as the movies and name them the same thing... except dont change the file extension.

Anyway, I did that, although, every time I open the folder with the movie and subs... windows explorer shuts down and I have to open the folder again... only to have it happen over and over again.

Anyone have any ideas why???

Back on track to my original problem. I had thought it subsided... but alas, the problem has returned. It has nothing to do with subtitles that were added... It has something to do with movies in general. I dont understand this... but it seems like randomly downloaded movies, when I open the folder that the avi or mpegs are located in ... shut explorer down. Has nothing to do with how the files are viewed. They can be viewed as icons, listed or tiles... and its all the same. They are not viewed as webpages either. I cannot open or even access the actual folder to make changes on it using windows... so if anyone has any ideas on what is causing this and how I can fix this... if possible, and maybe doing it in DOS... please lemme know.

Thanks!!

gildan2020
11-22-2004, 05:25 AM
then it has come down to ur codecs...perhaps u should try a different codec
i use the K-Lite codec pack :)
darn, where's the link when i need it?

gildan2020

RealitY
11-22-2004, 06:29 AM
You could still change to list and turn of of the veiw thing from another window that has no vids in it...

musicmaster
11-22-2004, 10:06 AM
You could still change to list and turn of of the veiw thing from another window that has no vids in it...

I can do that, although it has no value as my machine wont remember the settings from one folder to another. They are proprietary apparentely... because for instance when I change the view to "list" in one folder and then go to another folder that is obviously not showing "list" but showing say "tiles" and change it to "list" then go to another folder... it wont be "list".

I surely hope this is what you mean. If not.... then fill me in. I may just need a format.

I will try the codec thing... but it may be that my hd is so overladen with crap it is time to backup and fdisk the whole damn shite!!!!

musicmaster
11-24-2004, 01:51 AM
then it has come down to ur codecs...perhaps u should try a different codec
i use the K-Lite codec pack :)
darn, where's the link when i need it?

gildan2020

I installed the KLite Codec pack and voila!!!!! Problem is cured. Thanks. Also, I can view widescreen movies in fullscreen which I couldnt get bsplayer or VlC to do. Thanks again!!

backlash
11-24-2004, 02:28 AM
did u turn off webview yet? I bet that will solve the problem. Tools > folder options... > under tasks (show windows classic folders)

RealitY
11-24-2004, 02:34 AM
I can do that, although it has no value as my machine wont remember the settings from one folder to another. They are proprietary apparentely... because for instance when I change the view to "list" in one folder and then go to another folder that is obviously not showing "list" but showing say "tiles" and change it to "list" then go to another folder... it wont be "list".
Tools -->> Folder Options -->> View -->> Apply To All Folders...

DanB
11-24-2004, 02:40 AM
Remove image preview (http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=2123) . Worked for me when I had that problem

musicmaster
11-24-2004, 06:02 AM
did u turn off webview yet? I bet that will solve the problem. Tools > folder options... > under tasks (show windows classic folders)

BTW, I use XP but not XP default... I use Classic view.

I think I could have used that remove image/media preview trick... and/or could have set my folder options the way backlash and reality said, but I like to change the way I view different folders. Anyway, the problem was apparently that I was missing the code and it has been solved.

Thanks

musicmaster
01-04-2005, 11:49 PM
I could have made a new thread... but hopefully someone will read this and maybe be able to figure this out.

As originally posted it seemed the problem was happening with only the file that I downloaded the subtitles. I got the Klite codec pack and that seemed to fix that problem.

Today I popped a movie that I burned onto a cd as data.. avi... and when I access the folder through windows explorer, it shuts down explorer. I was given info to download a new version of the klite codec pack... so I did... but still had the problem. Someone told me to restart my computer. I did so... same problem, windows explorer shuts down, although no dialog box pops up now.

Any ideas?

orcutt989
01-05-2005, 12:24 AM
When explorer.exe shuts down, why not just keep the folder open. And then go File>>New Task>>type in "Explorer". That should enable it again right?

musicmaster
01-05-2005, 03:25 AM
When explorer.exe shuts down, why not just keep the folder open. And then go File>>New Task>>type in "Explorer". That should enable it again right?

Ummmm.... When explorer shuts down it shuts down... so when explorer shuts down, ummm it shuts down... ummm errrrrr it shuts down... lemme try a new task in something that shut down... oh wait... its in file... no its new task... wait!!!! I cant find File?? How come?? Oh wait... explorer shuts down!!

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :no: :no: :no: :wacko: :frusty: :ermm:

Thanks danb... didnt wanna change reg b4... but it is ok... didnt need to use media player classic anyhow :)

tesco
01-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Ummmm.... When explorer shuts down it shuts down... so when explorer shuts down, ummm it shuts down... ummm errrrrr it shuts down... lemme try a new task in something that shut down... oh wait... its in file... no its new task... wait!!!! I cant find File?? How come?? Oh wait... explorer shuts down!!

Thanks danb... didnt wanna change reg b4... but it is ok... didnt need to use media player classic anyhow :)
he means alt-ctrl-del then click file>newtask.
not sure fi that will work for you though.
but worth a try anyway. :huh:

musicmaster
01-05-2005, 04:07 AM
he means alt-ctrl-del then click file>newtask.
not sure fi that will work for you though.
but worth a try anyway. :huh:

I understand what you mean Rossco... and even if that is what he meant, what good would that do me if the folder had shut down?

The first time this happened I was trying to access a movie on my hard drive. Now I am trying to access a cd to watch a movie by going into My Computer and opening the movie directly from the DVD drive. I could have simply opened the player, but I like seeing the movie in the drive first of all, and secondly I like to have the list display my players as opposed to me going into my folder where all my shortcuts are located that have my players isolated.

Anyway, I dont think he was really clear on the problem or solution. Nevertheless the problem is solved.

Cheers!!!

Ariel_001
01-05-2005, 05:31 AM
You should check the option to open folders in a new process to stop the whole shell from chrashing..

Anyways this also could be a bug in a codec you have installed too, I remember Divx had a bug that caused that.

whiterook-2
01-05-2005, 05:42 AM
Tools -->> Folder Options -->> View -->> Apply To All Folders...
I'm sure this is out of context but..... THANK YOU REALITY!!! I got me a new comp for chrissy, and have been fighting my folders ever since lol... Couldn't remember how I did the last one to only show details.......stinkin tiles ;)

fkdup74
01-05-2005, 05:26 PM

yeah somethin like that
i know theres an option to restart explorer when you shut it down
think you can get a menu to browse to explorer.exe and start it or somethin
cant remember, havent had to do it in a while, haha

-edit- rossco posted the process, didint see that :P

why did you resurrect this dead fkr mm?
just format XP, you know you need to
better yet....with that OLD ASS pentium....go with Win 98 :P :01: :P

orcutt989
01-05-2005, 09:20 PM

I understand computers are frustrating, but theres no reason for you to channel that negative energy onto me.

musicmaster
01-06-2005, 09:48 AM
I understand computers are frustrating, but theres no reason for you to channel that negative energy onto me.

Not channeling... you just didnt post anything I found worthwhile. I apologize if you felt it was 'negative energy' Take a feng shui class and the world shall be at one again. Burn some Nag Champa, and have some Chai tea while you're at it.

God bless the universe and may the force be with you.

MM is out and about... running frantically with his 733 PENTIUM fkr and lovin' his XP.

HA!!!!!!!!!! Thanks fkd7497682-13.2(0)subchapter2 ummmm....

We can close this post because I should have just taken danb's advice in the first place, bcuz he was 100 percent correct. Just take off the media preview and you are good to go.

Thanks to all who have helped me in the past and will help in the future, and remember, its 148 am and dont take life too seriously folks... its too fkn short!!!!

outtie

gildan2020
01-06-2005, 01:05 PM
yeah, it's kinda cool
i dun think i need to preview every movie that i click on

gildan2020