PDA

View Full Version : What Would Your Rules Be?

JRSellers
10-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Just curious. If you ran your own forum board, what would your rules be?

Here's my short list:

No spam or advertising of any kind.
No religious or political talk.
Use common sense.
Have consideration for other members.

maskawaih
10-29-2004, 07:46 AM
5. No flames
6. No offtopics except in off topics forum (i.e. Lounge)

Yogi
10-29-2004, 08:10 AM
My shortlist:

No rules.

I am the boss/dictator.

Cheese
10-29-2004, 08:11 AM
2 No religious or political talk.

Why?

I see other boards that do this and have never understood the need for censoring these topics. Wouldn't a better rule be: Only sensible discussion about religion and politics.

Usually when you see blanket banning of certain subjects it's down to lazy modding. They can't be bothered to go that little extra to allow open discussion on all topics.

asmithz
10-29-2004, 08:25 AM
No spam or advertising of any kind.
Use common sense.
Have consideration for other members.

Thats all you need

Arm
10-29-2004, 08:29 AM
1) No excessive bitching.

JRSellers
10-29-2004, 08:30 AM
5. No flames

See # 4

6. No offtopics except in off topics forum (i.e. Lounge)

See # 3

JRSellers
10-29-2004, 08:33 AM
My shortlist:

No rules.

That would be no better than an alt. newsgroup.

JRSellers
10-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Why?

I see other boards that do this and have never understood the need for censoring these topics. Wouldn't a better rule be: Only sensible discussion about religion and politics.

Usually when you see blanket banning of certain subjects it's down to lazy modding. They can't be bothered to go that little extra to allow open discussion on all topics.

Well, political debates are ok I guess, but you never know what religion a forum member might be, just don't talk about it.

JRSellers
10-29-2004, 08:43 AM
1) No excessive bitching.

That would go under having consideration for other members.

bigboab
10-29-2004, 09:14 AM
At present we are on the 'floor'. The only way now is up.:) On the way up make sure we do things right and make this a friendly place for everyone.:) You may not agree with someone, in fact you may hate them, but dont show it on open Forum. It has a negative effect.:(

I will bite my tongue and still talk to Yogi. Even though he called me elderly.:lol: :lol:

sArA
10-29-2004, 10:06 AM
These suggestions are fine, and are pretty much a simplified version of what we have.

The reason the actual rules go into such detail is to prevent misunderstanding and because where they are not really really specific, it is open to people to circumvent.

This has been borne out by experience and they have been added to and made specific each time there has been a bad experience.

The rules are just trying to remove doubt as to what is and what is not allowed.

They are not unreasonable if everyone just behaves with the same standards that we expect irl remembering that not everyone has the same levels of tolerance and so the rules have to allow for the more sensitive among us.

Jon L. Obscene
10-29-2004, 10:44 AM
http://www.ukforums.org.uk/index.php?act=boardrules

Take a look :rolleyes:

Jonno :cool:

Cheese
10-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Well, political debates are ok I guess, but you never know what religion a forum member might be, just don't talk about it.

But religion is a very interesting topic. As long as the discussion is sensible then I see no harm in it. Of course you shouldn't allow people to disrespect religion but at the same time discussing religion can be very rewarding.

I just had a seminar where we discussed 18th Century views on religion, how Catholics were treated as second class citizens. I learnt quite a bit about Catholcism (sp) today, like their views on repentance and purgatory.

One way of breaking down bigotry is to understand other people's beliefs, banning a subject just perpuates ignorance.

As this is an international forum I could, if I so choose, have the chance to discuss theology with people of other religions. I'd hate to be a part of a forum that forbid me to do that because a minority of people would try to cause offence.

In a sense you'd be letting the people who have a problem with religion, be that of religion in general or a specific religion, win by removing it as a topic for debate.

Cheese
10-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Just to belabour my point (something I just love doing...) discussions like this would be banned from your hypothetical forum.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=84021

manker
10-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Just to belabour my point (something I just love doing...)

belabour

def: To beat soundly.

---

Point = euphemism :dry:

Cheese
10-29-2004, 03:46 PM
belabour

def: To beat soundly.

---

Point = euphemism :dry:

I knew that... :unsure:

manker
10-29-2004, 03:51 PM
I didn't, I googled and thought it was funny :lol:

Lilmiss
10-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Suppoe a "Bradawl", would be too? :blink:

{I}{K}{E}
10-29-2004, 06:28 PM
1) A member may not injure another members or, through inaction, allow a member to come to harm.
2) A member must obey orders given by admins except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A member must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I, Robot :P

JRSellers
10-30-2004, 03:32 AM
I'm outta here.

hobbes
10-30-2004, 03:53 AM
No Sodomy- except in the adult section