PDA

View Full Version : New to BT and I sorta understand it but...

_mattyboy_
10-31-2004, 01:57 AM
I just downloaded BitTorrent and I sorta understand it and whatever but I went to download 2 things for the 1st time on Suprnova.org and all I got was connecting to peers or whatever and it was like that for a while and just now I looked at the taskbar and it was closed, so i went to the directory I told it to save in and it was all there, it was an album. But all the Mp3 are all 0 bytes big and obviously can't play so whats happened?? Is there some sort of process I have to do in order to get it to work?

Help would be appreciated.

Tifosi
10-31-2004, 01:59 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Have a read up :)

_mattyboy_
10-31-2004, 04:00 AM
I was just reading thru a few of hose topics but I couldn't find an answer to my question. Could a mod move this topic to that forum perhaps but cos it may be more likely to be answered over there.

Thanks anyway

muchspl2
10-31-2004, 04:15 AM
www.btfaq.com

RealitY
10-31-2004, 04:32 AM
If theyre 0 bytes Ide guess they never dl since the files are craeted at 0 and then fill in although some bt apps allocate the entire space first if I remember correctly...

_mattyboy_
10-31-2004, 07:21 AM
ok,

I read thru some of those FAQ that were applicable to me but then none of them really helped a lot so i think I might just try downloading something again.

Right now I'm downloading an Eminem song, (not that Im a big fan it was just one of the newly added files in music for suprnova.org) it seems to be working... almost done... and yes it worked, ah problem solved it would seem!

just one little thing, about what number of sources would be considered reasonable on bittorrent and I heard someone talking about 150kb/s speeds using bittorrent is this achieveable on a 256kb/s ADSL modem or are they on like the modem NASA might use..?

thanks

cpt_azad
10-31-2004, 07:29 AM
ok,

I read thru some of those FAQ that were applicable to me but then none of them really helped a lot so i think I might just try downloading something again.

Right now I'm downloading an Eminem song, (not that Im a big fan it was just one of the newly added files in music for suprnova.org) it seems to be working... almost done... and yes it worked, ah problem solved it would seem!

just one little thing, about what number of sources would be considered reasonable on bittorrent and I heard someone talking about 150kb/s speeds using bittorrent is this achieveable on a 256kb/s ADSL modem or are they on like the modem NASA might use..?

thanksNASA :blink: ?? I *think* that you should be able to get 150 kb/s on an ADSL line, depends on which part of the cachement area you are (with your ISP). With Cable, it's really easy to get 200+. But it also largely depends on who the seeders are and what their connections are for uploading (who they are as in are they bastards that decide that uploading at 13kb/s on their almighty T1 line :dry: ). Other than that, you should do fine.

_mattyboy_
10-31-2004, 09:14 AM
what are some good BT sites? cos so far I've only really looked around on suprnova.

This BT is good shit, I'm downloading whole albums, good.

But what would you rate as a good amount of seeds? like 10 or like 100?

RealitY
10-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Well http://www.torrentbits.org/ is very popular.
As for seeds you kinda get what you get, just depends...

_mattyboy_
10-31-2004, 09:35 AM
ah ok, is there usually good seeds and leeches for movies comprared to albums? cos I'm downloading a Neil Young Greatest Hits and Prodigy album (interesting contrast) and at the rate they are going I may aswell be on dial up

{I}{K}{E}
10-31-2004, 11:53 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=48348
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=83827

SingaBoiy
10-31-2004, 12:02 PM
NASA :blink: ?? I *think* that you should be able to get 150 kb/s on an ADSL line, depends on which part of the cachement area you are (with your ISP). With Cable, it's really easy to get 200+. But it also largely depends on who the seeders are and what their connections are for uploading (who they are as in are they bastards that decide that uploading at 13kb/s on their almighty T1 line :dry: ). Other than that, you should do fine.
The most he can get on a 256 line is 32 KB/s

RealitY
10-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Well if your on SN there are alot of leeches who cap their bandwidth since there is no apparent reason for them to share what they take other that if they feel like it whereas sites like TB ban you if dont keep a 1:1 ratio, so in general speeds on SN tend to sux much of the time but not always although TB always has great speeds since you have to share and cant cap if you intend to stay a member there anyway...

_mattyboy_
11-01-2004, 06:23 AM
thanks Ike for that list of sites and the sticky about FAQ but I had already had a look on there.

What brings you to think that on a 256k modem you can only download at 32kb/s max? It seems that there is all this stuff that if you change ports on firewalls or something and get such and such a version of BitTorrent it will D/L a lot faster but I don't really get it.

I just went to the BitTorrent website and downloaded the regular bitorrent version 3.4.2 and have a Norton internet security Firewall and Sygate firewall I run a 256k speedtouch modem no router or nething. Is there a way to speed my downloads up? or is it just shitty leeches and seeds. I just thought there might be some sort of formula to quick downloads.

I thought this type of thing has probably been asked hundreds of times before but I couldn't find any topic, so if there is one out there with an answer could you please direct me to it, it would be much appreciated.

RealitY
11-01-2004, 06:30 AM
If your only using SN now then you need to check out other sites like TB and so on...

SingaBoiy
11-01-2004, 08:06 AM
What brings you to think that on a 256k modem you can only download at 32kb/s max?
Simple math ;)

256/8 = ....

_mattyboy_
11-02-2004, 06:03 AM
WHY 8? And I have no idea what SN and TB are...

Afronaut
11-02-2004, 07:01 AM
WHY 8? And I have no idea what SN and TB are...

SN= suprnova
TB= torrentbits

Is all i know atm, im sure others correct me if im wrong.

SingaBoiy
11-02-2004, 07:28 AM
SN= suprnova
TB= torrentbits

Is all i know atm, im sure others correct me if im wrong.
Yes, those are correct.

Its 8 because there are 8 bits in a byte. Internet speeds go by bits :ermm:

_mattyboy_
11-02-2004, 08:11 AM
ah ok, I see now, yeah thanks for the help and tips, I'll be sure to check out torrentbits soon.