PDA

View Full Version : CD Ripping Software

musicmaster
11-01-2004, 03:56 AM
I suppose this can also go in Musicworld, but I think this is a more appropriate place, because of the problems I am having.

This is in regards to dbpoweramp: I dont know who uses what and who prefers what to rip cds, but I just noticed, after getting a new cd from a friend of his band, I ripped first using the mp3 option, which I suppose with internally make it a wav then automatically go to mp3. I have done this for all my rips up until now. I was told to make them wav first then compress the wav.

So, I have two issues:

The first is this: I have ripped in the past using dbpoweramp and I have ended up with rips that have a number of tracks which contain pops and clicks and squeels.

The second issue is related to what I said in the second paragraph about my friend's cd. I ripped it directly to wav... then compressed it to VBR at 224-256. I compared one track, both the mp3 and wav... and noticed a marked difference in the sound of the tracks. The mp3 was actually very distorted compared to the original. The wav of course sounded like the source cd.

Any ideas on this? I was thinking it could be dbpoweramp.

RealitY
11-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Could be time for a new pc also...
:P :P

musicmaster
11-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Could be time for a new pc also...
:P :P

STFU ... I think you are jealous that I have a 386 with Windows for Workgroups. You wish you were that rich!!!!!

So, anyway I would like some "REAL" people to respond... not just people with "real" in their name... because we all know reality is just a state of mind.... and a mind with reality is like drugs... ummm reality sucks, thats what I meant to say!!! YEAH YEAH!!

But really, anyone have any ideas?

RealitY
11-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Actually even though I used the smileys in an attempt not to offend you I was quite serious...

fkdup74
11-04-2004, 03:46 PM
couple of things you can try....
first:
when you installed db...
there is an option to have "professional frequency conversion"
did you check that option?
(if you didnt, browse through the options, you should still be able to enable it)
second:
do you have an ASPI layer installed?
if not, go here and get it fkr :P (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm)
(get this version, not adaptec's updated version, because we all know you have an 86 MHz CPU runnin windows 3.1 :P)
third:
if you have dbv9, try v10, if you have v10, go back to v9, cant hurt to try

tesco
11-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Use "Exact Audio Copy" (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) it works wonders. I've never had it make a mistake for me.

fkdup74
11-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Use "Exact Audio Copy" (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/) it works wonders. I've never had it make a mistake for me.yeah, it's nice, but MM would be too damned lazy for EAC :01:

:lol:

actually, (and oh man i am gonna hate myself for saying this...),
my brother went experimental on me, and did a rip with WMP10....and....
(get ready to kick the f**k outta me)
it didnt sound bad at all
*fkdup ready to recieve kick in the ass...

Afronaut
11-04-2004, 05:08 PM
You got the Wavelab 5? (get good plugins for it ---> waves diamond bundle)

I dont rip with that, but it's an excellent software to make mp3's out of wav's.
I think the version 5 probably supports the "importing tags from the net/database" too,
but im not sure, I do make mp3's with that of my songs.
It has the Lame and all...

:cool2:

orcutt989
11-04-2004, 11:24 PM
DbPoweramp works good, and my cousin used MusicMatch ripper for a while.

musicmaster
11-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Actually even though I used the smileys in an attempt not to offend you I was quite serious...

You my friend can hardly offend me... even if you tried. You do frustrate me sometimes.. but not offend. You are too cool that way. However, regarding the new computer thing, I am not quite sure if my pc is that old. I mean 4 years yeah!! because shit changes, granted, but it shouldnt affect the ripping ability. But if you can expand on this... fill me in.

Thanks.

Afronaut
11-10-2004, 09:04 AM
I'd say older puters can Rip as good as new ones, it would just be a slower process,
(there's less resources on CPU etc.)

musicmaster
11-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Nah... I had EAC years ago... and went dbpoweramp, simply because I installed Windows XP and when I had 98, I had EAC... but it came with my cd player, and the version I had, wouldnt work with XP... and I was told dbpoweramp was the shite, and EAC sucked cawk.... so, I continue here and say ugh!!!!

Ummm, anyway fkdup (hehe) so, I checked the info you suggested, first of all the Prof. Freq. Conv. was checked. That's a default when you install the app. Next, went to the link you posted for the ASPI layer. I dl the 'stuff' that the link sent me to, and unzipped all the files, and put it in a folder inside Illustrate's main folder in Prog. Files. I didnt see any files that needed to be installed, so I am presuming this is an auto run thing.

Now thirdly, I checked the version I had before I did anything at all... buy going into the Illustrate folder and finding the Music Converter for dbpoweramp. I did so by right clicking and checking the file version. It did not say 9 or 10 but 4.2.1.2 I thought maybe I hadnt updated for a number of years or something... so I removed the version I had... and reinstalled. The end result is the same thing. I had the current version, but I dont understand what it lists it as 4.2.1.2 and not 10.1

Well, thats a lot of info, lemme know what you think so far... because I havent done any new ripping as of yet... so keep me informed.

Thanks.

yeah, it's nice, but MM would be too damned lazy for EAC :01:

:lol:

actually, (and oh man i am gonna hate myself for saying this...),
my brother went experimental on me, and did a rip with WMP10....and....
(get ready to kick the f**k outta me)
it didnt sound bad at all
*fkdup ready to recieve kick in the ass...

Skiz
11-10-2004, 03:01 PM
*sheesh*

FreeRip is the best cd ripper, period. I cant believe this hasnt been suggested yet. You can get it at the link below. It's easy and fast.

http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml

Afronaut
11-10-2004, 03:09 PM
*sheesh*

FreeRip is the best cd ripper, period. I cant believe this hasnt been suggested yet. You can get it at the link below. It's easy and fast.

You dont get it, eh?

This is about Religion.

:P

We're suppose to be debating them pros and cons of ripping.
:D

Of course, there's some plugin' for WMP available, cracked somewhere (naturally),
that one should be able to rip in a good quality, up to 320 or something...
I dont think that default in WMP, its about 192kb.
But, I dont know if its still .wma when it says its rippin to mp3.
And im not about to test it either.
Cuz it suxorz.

:cool2:

Samurai
11-10-2004, 03:22 PM
*sheesh*

Word. Been using this for years. Nothing but quality rips.

fkdup74
11-10-2004, 08:54 PM
went to the link you posted for the ASPI layer. I dl the 'stuff' that the link sent me to, and unzipped all the files, and put it in a folder inside Illustrate's main folder in Prog. Files. I didnt see any files that needed to be installed, so I am presuming this is an auto run thing.ok, i shoulda said a little more about that...
no, its not an automated kinda deal....
but once its installed, youre good to go
double clicking on the INSTASPI may do it, but i did it through the start menu
(thats what the FAQ/readme said to do, you should try reading it) :01: :P

try the double click on the INSTASPI (.bat if you have file extensions showing)
or....
go to start > run > browse > (directory where force aspi is) > INSTASPI.bat > click ok
it will prompt you to reboot, do it, then get aspichk (google for it, its free)
dont have to install that, just run it and see that the ASPI layer is installed
(you will get an "OK" for the four files listed if all went well)

oh yeah, and it dont have to be in the illustrate folder,
as its a system install that db and all other ripping/recording apps will access
and forgot one thing....
if you have norton ghost, it wont work :(
ghost installs its own ASPI (thats shit btw) and it overrides it for some reason

RealitY
11-10-2004, 08:57 PM
You my friend can hardly offend me... even if you tried. You do frustrate me sometimes.. but not offend. You are too cool that way. However, regarding the new computer thing, I am not quite sure if my pc is that old. I mean 4 years yeah!! because shit changes, granted, but it shouldnt affect the ripping ability. But if you can expand on this... fill me in.

Thanks.
Well I have an older lap thats close to your specs if I remember right and when I used to rip there were more pops and clicks it seems and quite often it would just stop at like track 5 of 10 and Ide have to do the rest in a second session. It may be that my cd drive was just not that great also, perhaps try an external drive if you have access to one, point is with my desktop I can see and hear the difference...

musicmaster
11-11-2004, 02:07 AM
ok, i shoulda said a little more about that...
no, its not an automated kinda deal....
but once its installed, youre good to go
double clicking on the INSTASPI may do it, but i did it through the start menu
(thats what the FAQ/readme said to do, you should try reading it) :01: :P

try the double click on the INSTASPI (.bat if you have file extensions showing)
or....
go to start > run > browse > (directory where force aspi is) > INSTASPI.bat > click ok
it will prompt you to reboot, do it, then get aspichk (google for it, its free)
dont have to install that, just run it and see that the ASPI layer is installed
(you will get an "OK" for the four files listed if all went well)

oh yeah, and it dont have to be in the illustrate folder,
as its a system install that db and all other ripping/recording apps will access
and forgot one thing....
if you have norton ghost, it wont work :(
ghost installs its own ASPI (thats shit btw) and it overrides it for some reason

I dont have Norton Ghost that I know of. I do have Norton AV, but anyway, there was no program to run with that aspichk thing. All I saw after that dl was a couple of txt files... but it did say that I had ASPI LAYER, and it was good. So, anyway, I will try out what I have now and see if it is working better. If not, then I might try these other ripping tools, and if they dont work, I might have to go back with EAC. But, I think I remember hearing that EAC and Nero have problems if they are installed on the same machine. Is this true?

musicmaster
11-11-2004, 02:09 AM
Well I have an older lap thats close to your specs if I remember right and when I used to rip there were more pops and clicks it seems and quite often it would just stop at like track 5 of 10 and Ide have to do the rest in a second session. It may be that my cd drive was just not that great also, perhaps try an external drive if you have access to one, point is with my desktop I can see and hear the difference...

I have a Plextor, and IMO and many of other peoples, these are the best drives around. I dont think 733 mhz is really that slow. My rips dont take that long, but I do remember reading on dbpoweramps site that they suggest a person try ripping at a lower speed if they do hear popping and clicking in their rips... so I may try lowering that first if these changes dont work before trying a new ripping program.

Anyway all, thanks for the help.

:01: :01: :01:

RealitY
11-11-2004, 05:05 AM
I think that may work before anything if you can lower the speed.
As for me still using AG with LAME, simple and suits me fine...

orcutt989
11-11-2004, 10:58 PM
I still say DBpoweramp. It is simple and easy. Not to mention it is not very big at all, and it is free. Also very versatile.

natedogg
11-11-2004, 11:03 PM
acoustica MP3 CD Burner is the best

fkdup74
11-11-2004, 11:21 PM
but does it rip? ;)

musicmaster
11-12-2004, 08:11 AM

but does it rip? ;)

yeah does it rip?? sounds like a 'burner' ... hence the name. Also, it says 'acoustic' in the name... and that worries me... doesnt sound 'electronic/electric' so would that mean it is not 'digital' and simply 'analog'?? hmmmph FFS ARGGGGHHHHH :no: :no: :w00t: :w00t:

But I may try what they said above, with that other ripper ummm Freerip. My dbpoweramp is not not working. Maybe I do need a new puter... but methinks dbpoweramp is malfuckto. I suppose I can always go back to EAC

:D

Adster
11-12-2004, 08:35 AM
MM has been using my word mafuckto hehehehe

I still am going to say DBPoweramp as the best

But I think your CD drive might be mafuckto more then anything.

but musicmaster has the most .... funny and weird and...... strange... peculiar problems :lol:

Samurai
11-12-2004, 01:18 PM
I have pills that can cure half of his problems ;)

fkdup74
11-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Also, it says 'acoustic' in the name... and that worries me... doesnt sound 'electronic/electric' so would that mean it is not 'digital' and simply 'analog'??
ohhh for cryin out loud....:lol:

Main Entry: acousˇtic http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:ZxXc();popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?acoust01.wav=acoustic'))
Pronunciation: &-'kü-stik
Variant(s): or acousˇtiˇcal http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:ZxXc();popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?acoust02.wav=acoustical')) /-sti-k&l/
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek akoustikos of hearing, from akouein to hear -- more at HEAR (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hear)
1 : of or relating to the sense or organs of hearing, to sound, or to the science of sounds <acoustic apparatus of the ear> <acoustic energy>: as a : deadening or absorbing sound <acoustic tile> b : operated by or utilizing sound waves
2 : of, relating to, or being a musical instrument whose sound is not electronically modified
- acousˇtiˇcalˇly http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:ZxXc();popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?acoust03.wav=acoustically')) /-k(&-)lE/ adverb

orcutt989
11-13-2004, 03:34 AM
God Dammit DBPoweramp is great, and uses less rescources!! And its free!! And totally customizable!

musicmaster
11-14-2004, 10:13 AM
God Dammit DBPoweramp is great, and uses less rescources!! And its free!! And totally customizable!

Uses less resources than what? you never compared it to anything. Also, if it worked... then I wouldnt have posted this fkng thing ffs.
:ohmy: :w00t:

I know what acoustic means fkdup hehe.. I play guitar for ffs you dillhole ;) :D

LMFAO and ROTFLMFAO AND other things too ummm yeah!!!!

I just thought it would jazz up this thread to put acoustic and analog in the same sentence and use them comparitavely, in regards to opposition of digital, and say I dont wanna rip with an "acoustic" ripper ummm yeah!!!!

So, thanks fkdup for the grammar lesson. You do rock buddy!!!! w00t :01:

uhhhh
dbpoweramp is flawed, or at least the copy I have is... and I just uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh version. It wouldnt even let me enable Accurate Rip... unless of course that is a function you need to pay for.

Ad, this has nothing to do with my cd drive... that is dbpoweramps deal. But anyway.... I have FreeRIP and it seems to work ok, but didnt have a number of the features that dbpoweramp does. I guess it takes some getting used to. I have to listen to some rips and see if they are as good quality as the source cd.

fkdup74
11-14-2004, 01:03 PM

hey you're welcome dude :P :lol:

and i think accurate rip is only active with an ASPI layer installed
hell i dont remember :lol:

orcutt989
11-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Uses less resources than what? you never compared it to anything. Also, if it worked... then I wouldnt have posted this fkng thing ffs.
:ohmy: :w00t:

I know what acoustic means fkdup hehe.. I play guitar for ffs you dillhole ;) :D

LMFAO and ROTFLMFAO AND other things too ummm yeah!!!!

I just thought it would jazz up this thread to put acoustic and analog in the same sentence and use them comparitavely, in regards to opposition of digital, and say I dont wanna rip with an "acoustic" ripper ummm yeah!!!!

uhhhh
dbpoweramp is flawed, or at least the copy I have is... and I just uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh version. It wouldnt even let me enable Accurate Rip... unless of course that is a function you need to pay for.

Ad, this has nothing to do with my cd drive... that is dbpoweramps deal. But anyway.... I have FreeRIP and it seems to work ok, but didnt have a number of the features that dbpoweramp does. I guess it takes some getting used to. I have to listen to some rips and see if they are as good quality as the source cd.
Takes up less rescources then music match, and most of the other programs that were descirbed here. Plus i stated that it was easy to use. And it does work, I use it everyday.

natedogg
11-14-2004, 08:24 PM
yea Acoustica MP3 CD Burner both rip and burn

musicmaster
11-22-2004, 02:31 AM
Takes up less rescources then music match, and most of the other programs that were descirbed here. Plus i stated that it was easy to use. And it does work, I use it everyday.

MUSICMATCH? Yuck!!!

They are just trying to steal my username for their greedy corporate conspiracy. No more no less. Theyre out to get us... everybody

R U N!!!!!!!

:w00t: :no: :w00t: :no: :w00t: :no: