PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With The Offencive Minority.

Marcus
03-28-2003, 01:21 PM
I have read the post about UKMan and others about their disillusionment Leading to a long standing member leaving

1,Ignore them

IMO it essential to have a consensus of option and then when someone posts a provocative or ignorant post, we should not get sucked in however personal it feels and stand together and universally ignore it. If the idiots get no response except from each other they will soon get bored and rant on in private, or at least move on to more fertile ground.

2,Exile

If their are enough complaints (decided by maybe a vote between the moderators) then the offensive posts could be moved to a separate topic with a warning for offensive nonsense.
The administrator could set up a topic called Coventry or gutter or exile maybe and move all offensive threads and or posts their.
Obviously this has to be done sensibly as we all swear when the occasion fits that is why we need a set of criteria

3,Banning

An alternate option is to have a complaint’s system with sliding penalties.
The moderators could set a scale of punishment for offensive and foul language.
And for persistent offenders have a sliding scale of ever-increasing suspensions from the board starting at an hour and eventually leading to banishment.
A message could be sent out and a time limit for response and any mod who doesn't respond is taken as a don't know.

Smaller punishments should be allotted individually and larger ones on a vote basis
and maybe have a overall moderator voted for by the others who decides about any complaints

I understand people can re-register but surely they will get fed up with getting new email addresses every time especially if they get no response.

Please could the mods consider these options and tell me what you think.

Marcus..........

zapjb
03-28-2003, 01:59 PM
What happened?

Sherlock_Holmes
03-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Who said UKMan had left ? ;)

Peace
S.Holmes

Marcus
03-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Sherlock_Holmes@28 March 2003 - 15:13

Peace
S.Holmes
Sorry Mr Holmes, I hadn,t noticed your avitar, but you did say you were leaving.
I'm new here so I took you at your word, I'll know better in the future..............only joking.
I've read some of your posts and it was obvious you would be missed.

what do you think of the ideas?

Sherlock_Holmes
03-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Marcus+28 March 2003 - 15:24--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marcus @ 28 March 2003 - 15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sherlock_Holmes@28 March 2003 - 15:13

Peace
S.Holmes
Sorry Mr Holmes, I hadn,t noticed your avitar, but you did say you were leaving.
I&#39;m new here so I took you at your word, I&#39;ll know better in the future..............only joking.
I&#39;ve read some of your posts and it was obvious you would be missed.

what do you think of the ideas? [/b][/quote]
Well bro - UKMan&#39;s word is allways true.

As far as your thoughts on the topic you wrote:

In my own humble opinion i think the Mods are the ones that controll the way things should be run here - whether or not people agree is another thing. However, everyone is entitled to express an opinion as long as it isnt offensive. Now, someone will obviously say "but whats offensive to one is not to the other" - this is bullsh*t and just an excuse for not wanting to abide by the rules.

You have expressed yourself in a friendly and constructive way and im sure they will consider your views.

I however, do not try to read what isnt there and try to abide by the ethics and rules of this board and whats considered to be "proper" by the Staus Quo. When people join, they are given the rules - easily accessble and if they miss them, then they are usually politely told where to find them. That should be enough. Also, as far as warnings are concerned - i think one warning is enough - if you dont get the idea by then, then you need some education LOL

You have bought up some good points, i believe others have mentioned similar ones as well.

Peace
S.Holmes (UKMan appologises for any decievement he might have instigated)

Nobody1234
03-28-2003, 03:22 PM
I&#39;m sure that some of what is mentioned here is already being done. A lot is done in private messages and we don&#39;t see it.

I also agree that we should ignore those posts. Without the attention they will give up because that all it&#39;s about... Getting attention. I think it&#39;s all a bit childish.

Marcus
03-28-2003, 03:23 PM
@Sherlock Holmes
I only wrote the post as a thinking point It might generate an idea in others or it might be dismissed altogether if it does lead to the tiniest part of a future idea then I will have done something for this board.

On your point on offence what they say about offence levels being different is true but you should tailor your behaviour towards the most easily offended (within reason) and not the least bothered. But then they would say it is normal and within reason as everyone they know talks like that. You can&#39;t ever beat true stubbornness

@Nobody1234 at least people are on the ball, It&#39;s hard not to rise sometimes though.

mrcall1969
03-28-2003, 03:30 PM
I think that people think because this is the Internet that insulting people is acceptable and not the same as insulting someone in the real world.

I mean if someone said half the things that I have seen being said to another person in the real world then I&#39;d tell them to prepare for a slap&#33;

Marcus
03-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by mrcall1969@28 March 2003 - 16:30
I think that people think because this is the Internet that insulting people is acceptable and not the same as insulting someone in the real world.

I mean if someone said half the things that I have seen being said to another person in the real world then I&#39;d tell them to prepare for a slap&#33;

I could imagine taking them into a Rugby club in the Welsh Valleys and making them say those things to someones mother.

MagicNakor
03-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Marcus@28 March 2003 - 16:23
...On your point on offence what they say about offence levels being different is true but you should tailor your behaviour towards the most easily offended (within reason) and not the least bothered...
Of course, the most easy offended person is horribly offended by words such as "damn," "hell," and "taking the Lord&#39;s name in vain." Fiddlesticks and drat can constitute strong language, remember. ;)

:ninja:

Sherlock_Holmes
03-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Marcus@28 March 2003 - 16:23
@Sherlock Holmes
I only wrote the post as a thinking point It might generate an idea in others or it might be dismissed altogether if it does lead to the tiniest part of a future idea then I will have done something for this board.

On your point on offence what they say about offence levels being different is true but you should tailor your behaviour towards the most easily offended (within reason) and not the least bothered. But then they would say it is normal and within reason as everyone they know talks like that. You can&#39;t ever beat true stubbornness

@Nobody1234 at least people are on the ball, It&#39;s hard not to rise sometimes though.
It was a nice post and it will generate a thought process - this is whats wanted on this board. If everyone did as you suggest then the board would not have to change rules or policies every so often - so i commend your post 100%

As far as the "offence" point, it seems as if you cant win dos&#39;nt it - but if everyone used common sense then there would be no problem - common sense is&#39;nt on the school corriculum i believe, so therefore it dos&#39;nt exist.

People who argue have nothing to say&#33;

Peace
S.Holmes

Marcus
03-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Sherlock_Holmes+28 March 2003 - 17:58--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sherlock_Holmes @ 28 March 2003 - 17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Marcus@28 March 2003 - 16:23
@Sherlock Holmes

It was a nice post and it will generate a thought process - this is whats wanted on this board. If everyone did as you suggest then the board would not have to change rules or policies every so often - so i commend your post 100%

As far as the "offence" point, it seems as if you cant win dos&#39;nt it - but if everyone used common sense then there would be no problem - common sense is&#39;nt on the school corriculum i believe, so therefore it dos&#39;nt exist.

People who argue have nothing to say&#33;

Peace
S.Holmes [/b][/quote]

You can&#39;t reason with people who have nothing to say.

Even if you did condone violence,
A baseball bat with ATTITUDE ADJUSTER written in steel spikes woudn&#39;t work on some.

SuperJude™
03-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Okay here is suggestion #4-

If some member here (or members as it were) get out of hand, just send me a little PM or catch me in chat and I would be more than willing to take care of the offending party myself through means of intimidation, humiliation and degradation.

You would be amazed how quickly certain lamers get in line when they have the ph33r of getting flamed or insulted by people smarter than them.

HEHEHEHEHEHE.

:)

Welcome back Mr. Holmes, good to see ya btw&#33;

-SJ™

Nobody1234
03-28-2003, 05:48 PM
I would be more than willing to take care of the offending party myself through means of intimidation, humiliation and degradation.

I think ignoring them is even more powerful as some are just looking for arguments.

Crackedup
03-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Watson:&#39; Welcome back Mr Holmes. What happened to your considerable post quota? Oh well sometimes it&#39;s good to start again.&#39; I second Mr Watson&#39;s comments. :D

Sherlock_Holmes
03-28-2003, 06:08 PM
SuperJude™

Welcome back Mr. Holmes, good to see ya btw&#33;

Thank you kind Sir ;)

Crackedup

What happened to your considerable post quota? Oh well sometimes it&#39;s good to start again.

You should know by now that stars and quotas mean squat diddly to me. ;)

Peace y,all
S.Holmes

J'Pol
03-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Holmes

Dashed fine to see you again old man. Been off dealing with the arch enemy perchance. Just remember pride comes before a .....etc.

Did he falls or was he pished.

Anyway, good post that man. However please remember that freedom of speech is important. Otherwise let&#39;s just make a pile and start burning the books. We should, where possible be self policing. I think we have all had the odd tiff and made up later. That I think is different from gratuitous arguement, or posting in a manner designed to cause discord and fighting.

As in real life we can all have days when we just don&#39;t get on ( that&#39;s not intended as sexual inuendo ) however as long as that&#39;s the exception rather than the rule then no real problem.

Again, as in real life friends, or people you respect tend to tell you you were out of order. You listen to them and think "well if he thinks so, then it&#39;s probably true". Then you temper your behaviour accordingly. That&#39;s certainly the way I think it should be.

Oh and by the way, you know who you are.

Sherlock_Holmes
03-28-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by JmiF@28 March 2003 - 23:24
Holmes

Dashed fine to see you again old man. Been off dealing with the arch enemy perchance. Just remember pride comes before a .....etc.

Did he falls or was he pushed.

Anyway, good post that man. However please remember that freedom of speech is important. Otherwise let&#39;s just make a pile and start burning the books. We should, where possible be self policing. I think we have all had the odd tiff and made up later. That I think is different from gratuitous arguement, or posting in a manner designed to cause discord and fighting.

As in real life we can all have days when we just don&#39;t get on ( that&#39;s not intended as sexual inuendo ) however as long as that&#39;s the exception rather than the rule then no real problem.

Again, as in real life friends, or people you respect tend to tell you you were out of order. You listen to them and think "well if he thinks so, then it&#39;s probably true". Then you temper your behaviour accordingly. That&#39;s certainly the way I think it should be.

JimF

What a pleasure to make your acquaintance again :)
Yes - those fiends keep me well oiled - no sexual inference meant either lol

Well - i shall remember those wise words about pride JimF - very good of you to remind me. Pride before the fall is very apt in this case - as we shall see, because the game is afoot&#33;

I agree, freedom of speech is vital. Its what makes life worth living for and keeps those librarians in a job too :) The odd tiff is good for the soul and gets the blood running, it stimulates the mind and the sex afterwards is great &#33; Every man & woman has the right to think and act (within limits) as he/she pleases and any institution that tries to hinder is, in my books, evil.

You know my methods, you have the clues, you have no more than i my dear friend. And yes - i do know who i am - we think so anyway ;) Its great to be back bro&#33;&#33;

Peace
S.Holmes

edit: typos (Watson pushed me)

ugluk
03-28-2003, 11:13 PM
first FC gets himself a new useraccount, and now UKMan...
and some change their nicks. (very popular to change nicks in the chat as well&#33;)

i don&#39;t like it. no i do not like it at all. very confusing. my brain hurts. :(
just tell the admins to reset your post counter if you want to start from zero. please? :huh:

Marcus
03-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Nobody1234@28 March 2003 - 18:48

I would be more than willing to take care of the offending party myself through means of intimidation, humiliation and degradation.

I think ignoring them is even more powerful as some are just looking for arguments.

Ignore who?

SuperJude™
03-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Marcus@29 March 2003 - 00:45
Ignore who?
Them, of course.

-SJ™

Marcus
03-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Sherlock_Holmes+28 March 2003 - 23:46--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sherlock_Holmes @ 28 March 2003 - 23:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@28 March 2003 - 23:24
Holmes

Did he falls or was he pushed.

JimF

What a pleasure to make your acquaintance again :)
Yes - those fiends keep me well oiled - no sexual inference meant either lol

Well - i shall remember those wise words about pride JimF - very good of you to remind me. Pride before the fall is very apt in this case - as we shall see, because the game is afoot&#33;

I agree, freedom of speech is vital. Its what makes life worth living for and keeps those librarians in a job too :) The odd tiff is good for the soul and gets the blood running, it stimulates the mind and the sex afterwards is great &#33; Every man & woman has the right to think and act (within limits) as he/she pleases and any institution that tries to hinder is, in my books, evil.

You know my methods, you have the clues, you have no more than i my dear friend. And yes - i do know who i am - we think so anyway ;) Its great to be back bro&#33;&#33;

Peace
S.Holmes

edit: typos (Watson pushed me) [/b][/quote]

Hear Hear.

Edit : typo

johnboy
03-29-2003, 12:06 AM
I think insults should be kept at the minimum. As much as someone disagrees with a thought, or as much as someone may dislike a person, they should try to avoid insulting. I think that shows a great deal of strength in a person, being able to hold your temper back.
(You know who you are)

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 01:00 AM
"Oh and by the way, you know who you are. "

To clarify - I was referring to the chaps for whom I have respect and whose opinion I value. The ones I listen to when they say I went too far. Thanks for that.

Chaps like MrC who rightly chastised me.

Thank you.

johnboy
03-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Ok... misunderstood

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by johnboy@29 March 2003 - 02:05
Ok... misunderstood
Not unexpected

SuperJude™
03-29-2003, 01:47 AM
Anger online? LMAO&#33; Cept for certain sensitive subjects of course.

However, what can I persoanlly say, sometimes people NEED to get flamed in order to better understand that it isn&#39;t just the internet and one cannot say whatever they want. Just my opinion, but of course I started at gaming sites which tend to be more hostile.

I wonder though how I never got into it with JmiF? Oh well only time will tell.....

J/K.

:D

-SJ™

RPerry
03-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by JmiF+28 March 2003 - 20:29--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 28 March 2003 - 20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--johnboy@29 March 2003 - 02:05
Ok... misunderstood
Not unexpected [/b][/quote]
ROFL :lol: :lol:

Sorry, maybe I should do like everyone else and not drink and post. Seems funny now, but maybe not in the morning??

SuperJude™
03-29-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by RPerry@29 March 2003 - 02:50
ROFL :lol: :lol:

Sorry, maybeI should do like everyone else and not drink and post. Seems funny now, but maybe not in the morning??
Well it&#39;s only when you insult and flame and degrade that it makes the next day hard to deal with. You have no idea how many people I have pissed off over time online when all I way doing was being drunk and trying to be funny.

Don&#39;t drink and post?

0_o

-SJ™

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by SuperJude™+29 March 2003 - 02:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SuperJude™ @ 29 March 2003 - 02:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RPerry@29 March 2003 - 02:50
ROFL&nbsp; :lol: :lol:

Sorry, maybeI should do like everyone else and not drink and post. Seems funny now, but maybe not in the morning??
Well it&#39;s only when you insult and flame and degrade that it makes the next day hard to deal with. You have no idea how many people I have pissed off over time online when all I way doing was being drunk and trying to be funny.

Don&#39;t drink and post?

0_o

-SJ™ [/b][/quote]
I think not baby puppy.

That would be like saying don&#39;t drink when you go to the pub with your mates. You might offend someone.

Really, quelle surprise.

PS If I start a thred entitled "Dealing With Offencive Spelling" will it get moved to the Lounge

WebCheF
03-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Mr. Holmes,

Not sure if were ever passed posts, but it is good to know that You one of few that have a consistant and objective exchange of possitive and constructive replys to this board.

on the lighter side, Do these issues that were discussed in the above post resemble any other Large group that has to deal with making everybody happy.

Glad to see your hat hangin&#39; again, friend.

Sherlock_Holmes
03-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@29 March 2003 - 02:00

To clarify - I was referring to the chaps for whom I have respect and whose opinion I value. The ones I listen to when they say I went too far. Thanks for that.

Thank you.
Yes - even i missread that line. Now you see how important it is to read through posts more than once before replying - the light gets brighter with each pass and the fog clears. This is one of the drawbacks with forums - you cant see or hear the other individual and missunderstandings occur very frequently - probably one of the reasons there have been some tiffs as of late ;)

WebCheF

Mr. Holmes,

Not sure if were ever passed posts, but it is good to know that You one of few that have a consistant and objective exchange of possitive and constructive replys to this board.

on the lighter side, Do these issues that were discussed in the above post resemble any other Large group that has to deal with making everybody happy.

Thank you for your kind words. My hat and stalker will be hanging here often ;)
I am however interested in knowing which other "Large Group" you are reffering to, as there are so many?

Peace
S.Holmes

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Sherlock_Holmes+29 March 2003 - 10:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sherlock_Holmes @ 29 March 2003 - 10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@29 March 2003 - 02:00

To clarify - I was referring to the chaps for whom I have respect and whose opinion I value.&nbsp; The ones I listen to when they say I went too far. Thanks for that.

Thank you.
Yes - even i missread that line. Now you see how important it is to read through posts more than once before replying - the light gets brighter with each pass and the fog clears. This is one of the drawbacks with forums - you cant see or hear the other individual and missunderstandings occur very frequently - probably one of the reasons there have been some tiffs as of late ;)
[/b][/quote]
That&#39;s without even making allowances for cultural or socio - economic diversity.

It&#39;s like conversation in real life. For some people the time you are talking is just a space for them to think what they are going to say next.

Oh and you definiteley know who you are old man. Or at least I thought you did. How&#39;s the arch-enemy getting on.

ToraBoraDweller
03-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Ignorance deserves ignoring :so why take the bait ?
Some ppl will probably never learn or even want to.

as to what SJ suggests :not a cool idea PM-ing 1 on 1 to offenders (except by mod-team)
It serves no purpose (maybe only letting of steam) and can backfire.
Save your energy. :-"

We are nearing the 15000-members count so that makes for a lot of mixed ideas&#33; ;)

@JmiF : Is this the real Sherlock (didn&#39;t prof Moriarty get him?) :devil:

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller@29 March 2003 - 11:05
As I recall, remembering I am 76 now. It was left unresolved.

The ultimate cliff hanger so to speak.

ToraBoraDweller
03-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by JmiF+29 March 2003 - 11:11--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 29 March 2003 - 11:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ToraBoraDweller@29 March 2003 - 11:05
@JmiF :&nbsp; Is this the real Sherlock (didn&#39;t prof Moriarty get him?) :devil:

The ultimate cliff hanger so to speak. [/b][/quote]
:( You&#39;re too energetic for your age&#33; Or do you have a double identity?
This would make a case for Sherlock_Holmes(welcome back from that watery grave :lol: )

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller+29 March 2003 - 11:24--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ToraBoraDweller @ 29 March 2003 - 11:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -JmiF@29 March 2003 - 11:11
<!--QuoteBegin--ToraBoraDweller@29 March 2003 - 11:05

This would make a case for Sherlock_Holmes(welcome back from that watery grave :lol: ) [/b][/quote]
Did he fall or was he pished.

Or maybe ........ dum dum dumdum.

Sherlock_Holmes
03-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller+29 March 2003 - 11:24--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ToraBoraDweller @ 29 March 2003 - 11:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -JmiF@29 March 2003 - 11:11
<!--QuoteBegin--ToraBoraDweller@29 March 2003 - 11:05

This would make a case for Sherlock_Holmes(welcome back from that watery grave :lol: )[/b][/quote]
Sorry to dissapoint you all, but here is a summary of that occasion:

On Monday, April 27, 1891, Scotland Yard acts upon my word to bring down the whole of Professor Moriarty’s syndicate, with the exception of two men: Professor Moriarty and Sebastian Moran, who have followed me to Europe. I sent Moriarty to his death in a struggle on the cliffs of Reichenbach Falls, only to be hunted by the assassin Sebastian Moran. I then fled to Europe.

I am of course alive and well to tell the tale.

But my fiendish friends, you are way ahead of yourselves here - the tale has only just begun, we are still in chapter 1 of this cunning saga. Patience is a virtue and will be rewarded as such.

The game is afoot&#33;&#33;

Peace
S.Holmes

stoi
03-29-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller@29 March 2003 - 10:05

Well a couple of days ago i would have agreed with this, but after the last couple of days that i have had on this forum, im afraid ive changed my views somewhat, just look at the cm4 thread in games/verifieds and the cm4 patch thread in gamesworld and you will know what i am taliking about.

And just to put it into context before all of this started i even offered to let him into my FTP to get the game, but i soon put a stop to that :lol:

If someone is just being stupid or doesnt understand then i will try to help them out, and i think i dont a good job in the first thread, but im afraid my temper got the better of me in the 2nd one and i blew my top at him :P

But there has been a few ppl on this board that have backed my actions including some of the mods, so i dont feel like i acted like the bad guy in this one.

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 10:47 AM
New Scotland is a yard

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by stoi+29 March 2003 - 11:47--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stoi @ 29 March 2003 - 11:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ToraBoraDweller@29 March 2003 - 10:05

Well a couple of days ago i would have agreed with this, but after the last couple of days that i have had on this forum, im afraid ive changed my views somewhat, just look at the cm4 thread in games/verifieds and the cm4 patch thread in gamesworld and you will know what i am taliking about.

And just to put it into context before all of this started i even offered to let him into my FTP to get the game, but i soon put a stop to that :lol:

If someone is just being stupid or doesnt understand then i will try to help them out, and i think i dont a good job in the first thread, but im afraid my temper got the better of me in the 2nd one and i blew my top at him :P

But there has been a few ppl on this board that have backed my actions including some of the mods, so i dont feel like i acted like the bad guy in this one. [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s a bit harsh.

stoi
03-29-2003, 10:52 AM
whats harsh, the way i blew my top at him, i dont think so jim, have you read both threads in there entirety, or just looked at the last thread, or not even looked at any.

If you meant something else then please explain yourself as not everyone on this forum are mind readers you know.

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by stoi@29 March 2003 - 11:52
whats harsh, the way i blew my top at him, i dont think so jim, have you read both threads in there entirety, or just looked at the last thread, or not even looked at any.

If you meant something else then please explain yourself as not everyone on this forum are mind readers you know.
It&#39;s a phrase I use. You have to read it in context. It&#39;s intended as irony. It was intended to mean the exact opposite of the words normal meaning. i.e. supporting you in a (humourous) way. I have never felt inclined to actually say I was joking, I always hoped it was self-explanatory. In this case I obviously failed.

Sorry for any offence. It was just a light hearted comment. You don&#39;t know me well enough to have understood it. An error in judgement on my part. I will remeber that for our future dealings.

stoi
03-29-2003, 11:04 AM
it fine jim, ive seen you post that before but never understood why until now, thanx for enlightning me.

ToraBoraDweller
03-29-2003, 11:05 AM
@Stoi : I gave up after reading halfway through the second page (now 10 pages ? :ph34r: )
there comes a moment when all has been said,so why continue that thread?
I find this forum much more enjoyable when I am selective :there are areas where I
almost never come except when I get the feeling I might learn something (like dvelopment &filesharing)

@Sherlock_Holmes :I have it on good authority that although prof Moriarty took a dive he
still survived and is plotting HIS comeback. :P

Sherlock_Holmes
03-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@29 March 2003 - 11:47
New Scotland is a yard
JimF - well, not to offend the Northern brothers i have laid out a small account here of its history. I am, as you must be aware of, fully knowledgable of NSY:

Scotland Yard, headquarters of the London Metropolitan Police. The term is often used, popularly, to refer to one branch, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID). Named after a short street in London, the site of a palace used in the 12th century as a residence of visiting Scottish kings, it became London&#39;s police center in 1829.
New and separate headquarters for the Metropolitan Police were built in 1890, (this was around the time i finally laid my hands on the first key i had to the elusive Professor Moriarty’s organization) along the Thames embankment and were referred to as New Scotland Yard. In 1967, New Scotland Yard moved to new headquarters, also in the Westminster area.

ToraBoraDweller

@Sherlock_Holmes :I have it on good authority that although prof Moriarty took a dive he
still survived and is plotting HIS comeback.

Yes, i am aware of that fact - but as i mentioned earlier - you are way ahead of the story ;)

Peace
S.Holmes

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by stoi@29 March 2003 - 12:04
it fine jim, ive seen you post that before but never understood why until now, thanx for enlightning me.
Irony

the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Sherlock

We can do the old joke - the last time you replied was in a previous life.

Does anyone know if there is an irony board.

Only Sherlock allowed to reply, you are all warned.

stoi
03-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by JmiF+29 March 2003 - 11:12--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 29 March 2003 - 11:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--stoi@29 March 2003 - 12:04
Irony

the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance [/b][/quote]
I know what irony means JimF, i just never understood why you would post thats a bit harsh to a thread, when realy you mean the complete opposite. and for those that dont realy look at your posts (no offence) and you reply to those ppl this way, is it any wonder they get the wrong end of the stick, so to speak.

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by stoi+29 March 2003 - 12:19--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stoi @ 29 March 2003 - 12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -JmiF@29 March 2003 - 11:12
<!--QuoteBegin--stoi@29 March 2003 - 12:04
Irony

the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
I know what irony means JimF, i just never understood why you would post thats a bit harsh to a thread, when realy you mean the complete opposite. and for those that dont realy look at your posts (no offence) and you reply to those ppl this way, is it any wonder they get the wrong end of the stick, so to speak. [/b][/quote]
None taken.

The definition wasn&#39;t intended for you. Not everyone is as obviously literate as your good self, so I wanted them to understand what we were talking about.

However it was wonderfully egocentric of you to think that I had posted it for your edification.

stoi
03-29-2003, 11:39 AM
i just presumed, wrongly on my part, that as you quoted me and then wrote down the definition or irony, it was for my benefit only. I also presumed, wrongly, that the quote option, was for that reason, to reply directly to the person that you quoted.

Sherlock_Holmes
03-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@29 March 2003 - 12:14
Sherlock

he he - well, you have me there, so you will have to enlighten me this time my friend :P
There is however a yard in Scotland&#33;

But as you are fully aware, Sherlock very rarely put pen to paper about his own exploits -- thats a clue&#33; You know the methods&#33;

Only JimF is allowed to answer this time - you have been advised &#33;

Peace
S.Holmes

WebCheF
03-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Sherlock_Holmes+29 March 2003 - 10:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sherlock_Holmes @ 29 March 2003 - 10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@29 March 2003 - 02:00

To clarify - I was referring to the chaps for whom I have respect and whose opinion I value.&nbsp; The ones I listen to when they say I went too far. Thanks for that.

Thank you.

WebCheF

Mr. Holmes,

Thank you for your kind words. My hat and stalker will be hanging here often ;)
I am however interested in knowing which other "Large Group" you are reffering to, as there are so many?

Peace
S.Holmes [/b][/quote]
Just poke&#39;n fun bout&#39; the U.N. coming together and being one. LOL.

No hostile intent ment towards any part of the U.N. I was trying to use a comparison of the coments from all members, mods, etc.Changings rules, makking rules when someone isn&#39;t happy

(Don&#39;t like it, Don&#39;t reply to it)

One doesn&#39;t have control of the actions made by another. But one does have control of their own reaction to the others action.

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by stoi@29 March 2003 - 12:39
i just presumed, wrongly on my part, that as you quoted me and then wrote down the definition or irony, it was for my benefit only. I also presumed, wrongly, that the quote option, was for that reason, to reply directly to the person that you quoted.
To err is human - to forgive divine. You are excused.

This is great. We have invented polite flaming.

Official - Top Man of the Day award Stoi.

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Sherlock_Holmes+29 March 2003 - 12:41--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sherlock_Holmes @ 29 March 2003 - 12:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@29 March 2003 - 12:14
Sherlock

he he - well, you have me there, so you will have to enlighten me this time my friend :P

But as you are fully aware, Sherlock very rarely put pen to paper about his own exploits -- thats a clue&#33; You know the methods&#33;

Peace
S.Holmes[/b][/quote]
As I recall there was an offer of an Ironing Board in it&#39;s stead.

Sherlock_Holmes
03-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by JmiF+29 March 2003 - 12:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 29 March 2003 - 12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Sherlock_Holmes@29 March 2003 - 12:41
<!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@29 March 2003 - 12:14
Sherlock

Peace
S.Holmes
As I recall there was an offer of an Ironing Board in it&#39;s stead. [/b][/quote]
Damn - your memory is good&#33;&#33;
It was also SideSwiped who made that comment: I have an ironing board if that helps..........
(I cheated of course and did a search) That was a deliberate knock at those who dont bother ;)

Peace
S.Holmes

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Hey give me a break, I am 76 after all.

It´s similar to the old Marx Brothers one.

"There aint no sanity clause ....."

johnboy
03-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Not Unexpected,whatever you say Jim :rolleyes:

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by johnboy@29 March 2003 - 18:45
Not Unexpected,whatever you say Jim
Thanks for that. The support is always appreciated.

Any update on the ES5 resuming downloads BTW.

johnboy
03-29-2003, 05:51 PM
It was sarcasm.
Yes the resume is working I believe

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by johnboy@29 March 2003 - 18:51
It was sarcasm.
Yes the resume is working I believe
Sarcasm

a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual.

you think "whatever you say jim" is sarcasm. You really do live in a sheltered world no wonder you are so easilly hurt.

Oh I&#39;ve checked the download resume feature since my question. It still appears not to be working. Any update really appreciated.

Speeds are still ace though, as long as one choses the right source. Daniel is always a good bet. Must be one of the T3 lines.

johnboy
03-29-2003, 06:28 PM
well i figured "whatever you say Jim" is sarcasm because I don&#39;t really mean it, its not whatever you say.
About the sheltered world: I live in a fake world right now. A city named Boca Raton where its far from reality. Its a barbie world here, and I can&#39;t wait to move out to Boston./&#092;
Yeah the speeds are great, and hopefully it remains that way. The resume has bug, i checked the forums. Filehoover should have it fixed by beta 103

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by johnboy@29 March 2003 - 19:28
well i figured "whatever you say Jim" is sarcasm because I don&#39;t really mean it, its not whatever you say.
About the sheltered world: I live in a fake world right now. A city named Boca Raton where its far from reality. Its a barbie world here, and I can&#39;t wait to move out to Boston./&#092;
Yeah the speeds are great, and hopefully it remains that way. The resume has bug, i checked the forums. Filehoover should have it fixed by beta 103
That&#39;s excellent, hopefully you can get it right this time.

Any news when the next beta will be available.

johnboy
03-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by JmiF@29 March 2003 - 18:41
Sorry, but get what right this time? The resume?

The next beta, if following patterns, should be out in the next 2-5 days

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by johnboy+29 March 2003 - 19:45--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnboy @ 29 March 2003 - 19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@29 March 2003 - 18:41

The next beta, if following patterns, should be out in the next 2-5 days [/b][/quote]
Yes the resume, sorry that wasn&#39;t very clear, my mistake.

Should be more careful how I write things.

johnboy
03-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JmiF+29 March 2003 - 19:01--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 29 March 2003 - 19:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -johnboy@29 March 2003 - 19:45
<!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@29 March 2003 - 18:41

Should be more careful how I write things. [/b][/quote]
its alright... we all make those mistakes.
I&#39;m glad you&#39;re enthusiastic about ES5

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by johnboy+29 March 2003 - 20:04--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnboy @ 29 March 2003 - 20:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -JmiF@29 March 2003 - 19:01

Originally posted by -johnboy@29 March 2003 - 19:45
<!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@29 March 2003 - 18:41

Should be more careful how I write things.
its alright... we all make those mistakes.
I&#39;m glad you&#39;re enthusiastic about ES5 [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m keen on the current fast downloads. Not on the advertising, the pornography, or the pay per view events being discussed.

I will happily take advantage of the downloads while they remain fast.

johnboy
03-29-2003, 07:24 PM
You&#39;re like most of the others than...who like to enjoy the fast downloads

jetje
03-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Johnboy, you stated elsewhere that that forum is for comercial puposes. And as you said (and i agreed) there is nothing wrong with that. But it is not tolerated to advertise for those things on this board acording to the boardrules;

6. Advertising or soliciting for a product or service for the purpose of commercial gain without the consent of the administrators is prohibited.

So any further posts, advertising that site will be deleted. ;)

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 09:17 PM
That&#39;s a bit H4r5h

johnboy
03-30-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@29 March 2003 - 21:17
That&#39;s a bit H4r5h
JimF are you serious or sarcastic? Hopefully serious...
I won&#39;t mention their site again if you don&#39;t want me to. Can I mention at least the program ES5?

Oh and I&#39;m not trying to get anyone in trouble but it was Jimf who had started today&#39;s thread.
I had started a thread about ES5 but that was a while ago.

WebCheF
03-30-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by johnboy@29 March 2003 - 19:28
Hey, Boca?

Do you know of a Restaurant called "Dakota&#39;s"?

I have a good friend who owns that.

johnboy
03-30-2003, 03:09 AM
no i&#39;m afraid I haven&#39;t heard of it. Note: Boca has alot of restaurants

Marcus
04-01-2003, 12:48 AM
A triumphant cheer is heard ringing throughout the Pennines.
"I have done it,” he cried.
"I am now a member of the Information Systems Institute at Salford University."
What? "Studying Business Information Technology"
"Yes oh yes" he replied, with a loud sigh.

You may ask en masse." What has this to do with this topic? ” I say " A pompous know it all may have been conceived"

the-ninja69
04-01-2003, 01:24 AM
F*ck that just ignoring them is the best. If nobody pays attention to them then thell get bored and wont do it any more becase they no they will get no response.

Marcus
04-01-2003, 01:34 AM
withdrawn

you can&#39;t leave your computer for a second.
sorry the-ninja-69 you got it "fuck them" I wouldn&#39;t even give them that but your right,

the-ninja69
04-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Marcus@31 March 2003 - 17:34
withdrawn

sorry the-ninja-69 you got it "fuck them" I wouldn&#39;t even give them that but your right,
WTF are are u talking about i dont even understand wtf u just said.

withdrawn
<--------------------Wtf is that supposed to mena anwyas.

Marcus
04-01-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by the-ninja69+1 April 2003 - 03:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the-ninja69 @ 1 April 2003 - 03:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Marcus@31 March 2003 - 17:34
withdrawn

WTF are are u talking about i dont even understand wtf u just said.

withdrawn
<--------------------Wtf is that supposed to mena anwyas.
you can&#39;t leave your computer for a second. [/b][/quote]

I live with others. and one of them was typing when I went to P**s.
I