PDA

View Full Version : schools allowing creationism

ruthie
11-07-2004, 05:56 AM
Just great...here is the religious right's interference in PUBLIC school systems.
If you are into your kid learning religious theory, send them to religious school..on your dime. This really makes me angry. If my kids were still school-age, and I lived in one of the places that had creationism as part of their curriculum, you can bet I'd be attending meetings, talking to senators and congressmen, etc. This is just the start..try to indoctrinate the children.

Wis. city's schools allowing creationism

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

GRANTSBURG, Wis. -- The city's school board has revised its science curriculum to allow the teaching of creationism, prompting an outcry from more than 300 educators who urged that the decision be reversed.

School board members believed that a state law governing the teaching of evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not be totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni Burgin, superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in northwest Wisconsin.

Last month, when the board examined its science curriculum, language was added calling for "various models/theories" of origin to be incorporated.

The decision provoked more than 300 biology and religious studies faculty members to write a letter last week urging the Grantsburg board to reverse the policy. It follows a letter sent previously by 43 deans at Wisconsin public universities.

"Insisting that teachers teach alternative theories of origin in biology classes takes time away from real learning, confuses some students and is a misuse of limited class time and public funds," said Don Waller, a botanist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Wisconsin law mandates that evolution be taught, but school districts are free to create their own curricular standards, said Joe Donovan, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Instruction.

There have been scattered efforts around the nation for other school boards to adopt similar measures. Last month the Dover Area School Board in Pennsylvania voted to require the teaching of alternative theories to evolution, including "intelligent design" - the idea that life is too complex to have developed without a creator.

The state education board in Kansas was heavily criticized in 1999 when it deleted most references to evolution. The decision was reversed in 2001.

In March, the Ohio Board of Education narrowly approved a lesson plan that some critics contended opens the door to teaching creationism.

Busyman
11-07-2004, 06:19 AM
I believe in a "creator" and still disagree with it being taught in science classes.

Total bullshit.

I wonder what stories behind this are being taught?

Christian? :dry:

ruthie
11-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Pretty scary...makes me wanna :sick:

MagicNakor
11-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Teaching it in a biology class may be a little much.

A comparative civilizations or religion class would be perfect. The only issue then, perhaps, would be having to allow creation myths from other peoples and religious perspectives.

:shuriken:

ruthie
11-07-2004, 06:54 AM
That would be a great type of class..for older students... It is one thing to be curious and want to learn...and it is important to teach about other cultures, religions, etc. It might make for better understanding of the world we live in as well as acceptance and tolerance of people that have different beliefs.
I think one of the big problems is that many people believe "their" belief system is the be all, end all...the ultimate truth. How arrogant.

bigboab
11-07-2004, 08:52 AM
I think that all religious education should be proscribed in schools. The time that this normally takes should be taken up with the teaching of moral bahaviour, the good part of religion. Unless someone comes along and actually proves the existence of a 'super being' then I dont thing the state should be inculcating our children with such thoughts. Especially when it results in the exclusion of facts.

Maybe they should all watch 'Inherit The Wind'.:cool:

scroff
11-07-2004, 08:53 AM
I believe in a "creator" and still disagree with it being taught in science classes.

Total bullshit.

I wonder what stories behind this are being taught?

Christian? :dry:
If you're curious about Creation Science

Christian Answers (http://www.christiananswers.net/creation/home.html)

The Great Flood killed the dinosaurs...

I used to go to Religious Ed for this shit

DirtyDan
11-07-2004, 09:11 AM
We learn about religion alot in history class, actually. I mean the Reformation is too important to be left out of Englands history. And we learn about mormons and lutherans and everyone.... I do agree teaching it in science class is practically... propaganda? A religion class would be nice too, actually, as long as it wasnt biased. Have some athiest teach it, then all is well.

bigboab
11-07-2004, 09:21 AM
We learn about religion alot in history class, actually. I mean the Reformation is too important to be left out of Englands history. And we learn about mormons and lutherans and everyone.... I do agree teaching it in science class is practically... propaganda? A religion class would be nice too, actually, as long as it wasnt biased. Have some athiest teach it, then all is well.
This would still be taught as part of history. I am not advocating removal of religion from history. In fact it is imperative that it is part of history. Let people make up their own minds about why people should be burnt at the stake and all the type of cruelty carried out, especially the spanish Inquisition, in the name of religion, because someone was guilty of 'Heresy'.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 05:23 PM
religious teaching in schools should be confined to teaching understanding about different cultures so the future generation will be more tollerant than this one. Historical events that were caused by religioun such as the inquistition or the crusades are valid parts of human history.

schools should NOT be teaching if god exists or not.

religious teachings as regards to gods existance are the sole responsibility of the parents... Government at whatever level has NO right and should have no right to teach this. State schools are paid for via tax so no religion...privately funded schools can do as they wish.

Jon L Obscene
11-07-2004, 05:39 PM
What of publicly funded schools which adhere to a specific religious ethos. All children are entitled to be educated by the state. So long as the school makes it clear that they will be teaching a certain way, then it is up to the parents whether they wish to send their children to that school. If some parents decide that they wish theri children to go to a school that has no religious education, then that is up to them. Others may wish it taught. Either way it is the states responsibility to provide that education. It is a basic right, in the same way that a proper welfare state and healthcare system is.

Spam-King
11-07-2004, 05:55 PM
If you're curious about Creation Science

The Great Flood killed the dinosaurs...

I used to go to Religious Ed for this shit

lol

Why didnt moses save them in his ark, did he have anything against dinosaurs?

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Obviously not, as he took birds with him..

Oops, thats evolution....

Seriously, the only religion that should be taught in School is the basics about every Religion, so that you dont make Gaffs like giving Pork Pies to Jews etc etc..

The Actual religious part, is not the responsibility of a Secular State, its the Responsibility of the various Religions to spread their "Word".

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 06:01 PM
And who saved the fish, that's what I would like to know.

Thats actually something i used to wonder...

Fresh Water Fish die in the Sea and vise versa... so when it was all one huge Ocean... :unsure:

Biggles
11-07-2004, 06:04 PM
:lol:

The Ark of the Covenant and Noah's Ark were slightly different things.

I can't see quite how this would work. There is some (very) spurious science associated with certain brands of Creationism but nothing that bears much scrutiny. This is not a subject that belongs in a science lab - it should be in RE or, for older children, Comparative Religion. Unless, of course, it is a religious school, in which case they can teach that the World is carried on four elephants who are standing on the giant space turtle A'tuin (if they want to. :) )

vidcc
11-07-2004, 06:11 PM
What of publicly funded schools which adhere to a specific religious ethos. All children are entitled to be educated by the state. So long as the school makes it clear that they will be teaching a certain way, then it is up to the parents whether they wish to send their children to that school. If some parents decide that they wish theri children to go to a school that has no religious education, then that is up to them. Others may wish it taught. Either way it is the states responsibility to provide that education. It is a basic right, in the same way that a proper welfare state and healthcare system is.
all children are educated by the state as a right, the question is what should be taught ?

We are talking the USA not uk.

The religious side ( a generalisation) wishes that not one tax cent they contribute goes to things they disagree with because of their religious beliefs...such as stem cell research or abortion. Well if they want that then they have to accept that not one tax cent should go to promoting their beliefs..... of course this isn't the case.

State and religion are supposed to be seperated so that neither can interfere with the other. seems to me that the religious want to interfere with the state but don't want the state to interfere with them

bigboab
11-07-2004, 06:27 PM
I would have thought that the fish would not have too much trouble with a lot of water.:) Anyway there are various fish that can live in both fresh and salt water like the Salmon and Sea Trout to name half a dozen. Well there was half a dozen in the fishmongers window on Saturday morning.:wacko:

vidcc
11-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Perhaps in the US, but not in the UK. Which I believe the original post you quoted was referring to.Oh absolutely the Uk has it right... certainly in politics.....

i was talking about the USA in my post but i believe jon is British..i could be wrong...it was the welfare and healthcare comments that made me think this.
Many Americans think diferently than europeans when it comes to such issues. Personally i can't for the life of me think what is so bad about everyone having healthcare as a right even if they can't afford it...but for some reason i can't see it happening here.

Biggles
11-07-2004, 06:29 PM
The world isn't flat?

Whilst I have no problem in schools teaching RE (and I believe Creationism is part of that) I do have a problem with limited science lab time taken up teaching duff science. Where would it end, there are a lot of really rather bizarre theories out there. I would be equally unhappy with biology classes spending time on Von Daniken's theories of Man's appearance on the planet.

JP, I made no comment regarding the funding of religious schools (or was that someone else?) I am perfectly content for school places to be provided for all. If enough individuals want a specific kind of school then there is no reason why there should not be Islamic, Catholic or Hindu schools as well as secular ones. Although clearly there would be logistical problems if a particular religion only had 3 adherents and one of those was a fish..

Jon L Obscene
11-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Indeed, Church and State are not seperate in the UK. So to say that they must be seperate in schools doesn't make any sense. Let parents have a choice, if they want religious education fine, if not fine. Plenty of schools will allow children a "study period" during the religious education class. That way parents and children can decide on their own education. Don't just say, no ban it, or no you must have it. That seems the fairest way.

I assume when you say "supposed to be" you mean in the USA. That is the USAs choice to make, loads of others feel differently.

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Oh and it's my feckin business what is taught in the school my children attend. It is not a matter for others to impose their PC, only teach that which is scientifically provable. Please feel free to educate your children in any way you see fit. I will do the same.

Quite true..

And the right of the Hindu, Muslim, Jew, Shinto, Buddhist, Pagan and all the rest of the town...that all pay their Taxes.

Tell me; after fulfilling all the religious needs of the community, without catering to just one...what time is actually left to teach the subjects that they will need.

EDIT:

My comments re RE( ) in schools was more in response to this whole "religion has no place in schools" position that I was seeing. It is something which I fundamentally disagree with. It has no place being imposed, agreed. However it has a place where it is what the parents want.

I had also said that they should teach RE, so that people dont discriminate or insult other religions/cultures unknowingly. That is not the same as teaching the Bible, which i disagree with. I remember in my 1st year of School handing the Bible i was given back to the Teacher, and getting a right old bollicking...

Why? 'Coz i wasnt a Christian and didnt want to be taught the Christian Scriptures. It was my opinion then and still is, that it is none of the schools business what Religion i am, and they shouldnt forcefeed me the religion of the RE teacher :no:

Smith
11-07-2004, 06:52 PM
religion dosnt belong in public schools.

if you want your kids to learn there religion send to a catholic or jewish or what ever school.

personally im only in a catholic school casue my friends are there, and the scheice teachers love proving the bible wrong

vidcc
11-07-2004, 07:04 PM
teaching RE in regards to differing religions and their beliefs is fine...i agree with this as a way to promote tollerance... but teaching actual scriptures i have a problem with. teaching this is wrong or this is right "because God says so" i disagree with.
Parents don't have to take their kids to a religious school for religious education. Certainly here there are plenty of bible classes in the evenings and weekends where if parents wish the child can learn.

I am an athiest.... my son is not...the other 2 are too young to understand. I have tollerance for anyone that has religious beliefs..with ONE exception...when they try to force those beliefs on others.
I will never tell someone that god doesn't exist even though i don't believe he does. Nobody can prove god exists...nobody can prove he doesn't.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 07:26 PM
oh no..... i am sure he doesn't exist...i just have tollerance of others believing

Spam-King
11-07-2004, 07:34 PM
If you are an athiest and there is a god, you will probably rot in hell
If you beleive in god but there isnt a god nothing really will happen to you.

better to stay on the safe side

vidcc
11-07-2004, 07:37 PM

so you think of faith as insurance?

Spam-King
11-07-2004, 07:38 PM
yup,

well I just cant beleive that we are born and then we die and thats it.

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 07:39 PM

If there is a God, then im sure he wouldnt suffer from the Cardinal Sin of Pride to such an extent that he would demand he be worshipped or even believed in.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 07:55 PM
If there is a God, then im sure he wouldnt suffer from the Cardinal Sin of Pride to such an extent that he would demand he be worshipped or even believed in.
:lol: never heard that one before.

Spam-King
11-07-2004, 08:00 PM
dosnt it say in the bible or something the our god is a very jealous god

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 08:03 PM
dosnt it say in the bible or something the our god is a very jealous god

Dont you know?

If you dont know your God, then how can you call him your God?

The God your refering to is that described in the Old Testiment, and quite frankly, I fail to see how that nasty piece of work can be the same entity as the Love and Forgiveness guy in the New Testiment...

bigboab
11-07-2004, 08:10 PM
so you think of faith as insurance?
I think most people have religion as an assurance.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 08:14 PM
I think most people have religion as an assurance.
you could be right.

personally i am not worried about going to hell.... because it doesn't exist ;)

bigboab
11-07-2004, 08:31 PM
you could be right.

personally i am not worried about going to hell.... because it doesn't exist ;)Surely you mean that you dont believe it exists. You cant prove it exists, also you cant prove that it does not exist.:cool:

Spam-King
11-07-2004, 08:33 PM
for some one to beleive something exists you need proof, up to dat there has not been no proof

unless you have faith

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 08:33 PM
He has faith that it doesnt exist...

Spam-King
11-07-2004, 08:40 PM
i think someone should start a new topic, since this is going offtopic

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Rat

You appear to think that everyone who believes in God has some sort of 9 year old's perception of a big chap with a beard sitting on a cloud. The one which was presumably forced down your throat and which you unsurprisingly rebelled against.

This is not the case old bean, I think you may have rejected it at an early age and your perception of what God is or may be remained fixed at that point. That is entirely your prerogative and I would not try to change your view. However some people think differently.

The God I believe in created the universe in it's entirety. He does not suffer from pride or require external validation.

As is your right..

I merely said that IF he/she/it exists, I cant believe that this entity would require or even want, to be worshipped the way mankind appears to wish.

How many people throughout history have died, just for worshipping this possible entity in a different way to those that killed them?

Im pretty sure, whatever your religion, that its precepts say that this shouldnt happen.

As a case in point:

Thou Shall not Kill...

A basic of most religions... and yet these same religions use their religion to war and kill each other.

I do not care if it was the Pope that ordered the Spanish Inquestion, or an Aytollah ordering a Jihad, or an American President that speaks to God and arranges an unjust war (as if war can be justified easily at any time).... to my mind they are evil, and betraying the very faith they espouse.

By their own doctrines.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 08:57 PM
If you think that His existance can neither be proven nor disproven how can you be sure he does not exist.

You can't prove he exists... I believe he doesn't but I can't give anything as evidence that a believer will accept as proof that he doesn't. it has to be an act of faith to believe in him.

It was thought that god made all animals as they are today...Darwin was proclaimed a heretic...today the view is that god made animals and they evolved after.... it doesn't matter what "theory" is used to disprove there will always be an adaptation to make god fit, because faith requires absolute faith...if it's not absolute then it's not faith it's suspicion

Smith
11-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Why does religion not belong in public schools. Is it not a subject which you feel worthwhile. As stated, a more general understanding of what other people believe may help obviate some of the bigotry.

people go to public schools because

a) its the closest school
b) they dont want their kids to be in a religious sorroundings, parents of the hindu faith normally dont want their kids saying catholic or jewish or what ever prayers.

religion does not belong in public schools

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 09:01 PM
The British are guilty of imperialism throughout history. We still do it, but not anywhere near as bad. FFS the overt evil in India, Ireland and elsewhere in the world speak volumes, never mind what we did behind the scenes.

Please accept my assurance that I have never tortured anyone in the name of God or anything else. If you chose to judge me by what happened years ago, please feel free to do so. However those were the evils of man, not of God.

I never said anything against you mate :P

You know fine well, that im griping about the fact the shit rises to the top everywhere, whether its Politics, Religion or Corporations...

The mass's are usually only guilty of being manipulated... its unfortunate if they are manipulated into breaking their own Religious Beliefs maybe.

The Doctrines of the Religions themselves, I cannot really fault.. any of them. Just the way they are implemented ;)

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 09:08 PM
There is an enormous difference between Religious Education being taught in schools and a school teaching that one religion is right.

So we agree...

Just arguing samantics
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hobbes
11-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Unitarian church

A unitarian church believes in a "God concept", you are free to customize him to your liking.

The key is that God exists and the members draw strength and friendship through this bond.

There is no quibbling interpretation of books or arguing about which prophet is the right one. Just a belief that God exists and that we should all try and get along.

Helped my uncle as he died slowly of ALS last year. He faced his demise with hope not fear.

That is why we created God, to combat fear.

Life is hard, life is evanescent, society NEEDS a God and will create one to suit it's need.

If everyone were Unitarian, then they could have all the benefits of a God safety net, without quibbling the details, which has caused such great strife throughout the world.

I don't believe in God, and it irks me that those who do are making this world such a dangerous place. Such irony when we consider that God is about love and forgiveness.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Perhaps it is your inate tolerance of the position of oers which makes your posting appear to lean towards agnosticism, rather than the dogmatic view of the atheist.
I thought that was what i was saying.

I am an athiest but i keep those views to myself out of respect for others..i wish they would do the same in return. i live in a very religious community and i am not left alone. If i ever do get through to them that they won't change my mind they say they will "pray for my soul" :dry:

One of my values... I am a great believer in free speech and i refuse to be a hypocrit to my values and as being an athiestdoesn't require an act of faith i don't have a conflict between not believing and accepting those that do

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Nearly, I think there is also a place for religion specific schools. So long as they are declared as such.Please don't assume that I send my children to one, coz that's not the case. However I have no problem with them, if that's what the parents want.

Also if it's the only convenient school then parents who do not wish this education should be able to opt their children out. Use the time as study or whatever, but let the kids do the comparative religion thing just not the specific element.

I quite agree.

I have no problem with Catholic Schools, CofE Supported Schools, nor any others.

The difference is that the Church's are providing funds for the extra Religious Element, and the parents are aware of the schools nature before sending them there.

hobbes
11-07-2004, 09:24 PM
I thought that was what i was saying.

I am an athiest but i keep those views to myself out of respect for others..i wish they would do the same in return. i live in a very religious community and i am not left alone. If i ever do get through to them that they won't change my mind they say they will "pray for my soul" :dry:

One of my values... I am a great believer in free speech and i refuse to be a hypocrit to my values and as being an athiestdoesn't require an act of faith i don't have a conflict between not believing and accepting those that do

I think that to aver that God cannot exist requires as much faith a stating that God does exist.

An Atheist denies the possiblity.

An Agnostic doesn't believe in God, but he admits that he is a possibilty.

hobbes
11-07-2004, 09:28 PM
It is fortunate then that the right thinking atheists and agnostics are, to a man, pacifists.

Conflict will always arise. But conflicts that arise over some drivel written in a book are pointless. Particularly pointless considering that God is love and one should turn the other cheek.

The world would be a far better place without organized religions that arbitrarily define an unknowable creator.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 09:31 PM
It is fortunate then that the right thinking atheists and agnostics are, to a man, pacifists.
Firstly if it would make you happier...god doesn't exist..... i believe anyone that thinks he does is wrong.

as to the quote above, would i be correct in thinking sarcasm is intended?

hobbes
11-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Then let us proceed to war over who owns some dirt, or oil or gold or whatever else capitalism decides is worth sacrificing it's citizens over.

At least those things are real. At least we can approach these conflicts with logic, like the creation of the UN (The UN is a great concept to ensure global stability, it just don't work as it stands now).

I would be hard pressed to explain killing someone because he believed in unicorns and I believe in omnipotent bunnies.

vidcc
11-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Firstly, God does exist. Anyone who does not accept that is misguided. However like you I feel no need to force that down their throat.

and even though it's you that is misguided i have no problem with you having an imaginary friend :)

hobbes
11-07-2004, 10:00 PM
That's just typing pish.

Are you perhaps looking after an intern and allowing them access to the board, using your name.

A lack of acceptable rebuttal often leads to such a declaration.

God is unknowable, the concept of an omnipotent unicorn, bunny, or slice of cheese has the same merit as a story about Christ.

All are attempts to explain what cannot be known. All are crap, equally.

hobbes
11-07-2004, 10:39 PM
As does replying to pish.

Interestingly it is you who brought up the messianic figure. Do you feel that is a pre-requisite for a deity.

The actual theme is that people adhering to strict beliefs about God are killing people in his name.

Pointless and stupid.

The Catholic church not providing condoms in AIDS infested countries is just the evil. All dictated by a silly book.

They have completely lost the God concept, for details written by man in a book filled with passages selected by men.

God created the universe but he says "no" to condoms.:frusty:

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 10:41 PM
God created the universe but he says "no" to condoms.

Now see... I dont claim to know the Bible, but im pretty sure it didnt mention Condoms in there.. :blink:

vidcc
11-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Now see... I dont claim to know the Bible, but im pretty sure it didnt mention Condoms in there.. :blink:
prophylactics 13:22

And god spake to the randyites, and did tell them thy seed be sacred, waste not thy seed on stoney or latex ground least my creation become stickey

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 10:57 PM
pythonitus 12:4

And he spake to him, and he did say; "Every Sperm is Sacred, Every Sperm is great"

ruthie
11-07-2004, 11:34 PM
lol

Why didnt moses save them in his ark, did he have anything against dinosaurs?

um. I believe that was Noah, lol

Rat Faced
11-07-2004, 11:40 PM
um. I believe that was Noah, lol

D'oh... And even with the hint earlier, it never clicked with me...
:blushing:

MagicNakor
11-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Indeed, that sounds more agnostic.

How do you propose teaching about various religions if you refuse to look at their holy works? Or am I misinterpreting what you mean?

scroff
11-08-2004, 02:50 AM

Noah had them on the ark...
Where do you think aquairiums come from... duhhh :P

Spam-King
11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
"um. I believe that was Noah, lol"

LMAO, ah well serves me right for truanting RE classes

Spam-King
11-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Indeed,

How do you propose teaching about various religions if you refuse to look at their holy works? Or am I misinterpreting what you mean?

You would have to be a scholar in all religions.

The funny thing is most religions point to the same god.

Christians believe in god who created the world in six days and rested on the seventh

Jews obviously believe in the same god.

Muslims believe that Allah, created the universe just like that and he didnt need to rest since he is superior, also they believe in Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Noah and many more,

so my question isn’t Islam and Christianity the same. The only difference I see is that Muslims believe that Jesus didn’t die on the cross+they have a stricter "old fashioned way of living"

the quran basically repeats what the bible says and modifies some of the rules.

My best mates a muslim, and I find Islam as a great Religeon to follow, personally IMO all religeons lead to the same god(unless you are a hindu or something)

Islam has basicly been ruined by all the terrorists etc.

I my self beleive in god and I am looking for a religeon to follow

ruthie
11-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Lawsuit filed in Georgia by 6 parents and the ACLU..

ATLANTA — A sticker in suburban Atlanta science textbooks that says evolution is "a theory, not a fact" is being challenged in court as an unlawful promotion of religion.
The lawsuit, filed by six parents and the Georgia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (search), begins Monday and is expected to last four days.
Cobb County (search) school officials adopted the disclaimer after science textbooks it adopted in 2002 were criticized by some parents for presenting evolution as fact. More than 2,000 people signed a petition opposing the biology texts because they did not discuss alternative theories, including creationism (search).
County school officials said their stickers simply encourage students to keep an open mind, but the lawsuit claims the warning promotes the teaching of creationism and discriminates against particular religions.
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that creationism was a religious belief that could not be taught in public schools along with evolution.
The stickers read: "This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered."
"I'm a strong advocate for the separation of church and state," said one of the parents, Jeffrey Selman. "I have no problem with anybody's religious beliefs. I just want an adequate educational system."
A lawyer for Cobb County schools, Linwood Gunn, said he expects the disclaimer will hold up in court. He said the stickers "improve the curriculum while also promoting an attitude of tolerance for those that have different religious beliefs."

Yup, the fundamental nutjobs in this country feel that Bush owes them, because they got him into office. Obviously, if he names a supreme court justice..(just a matter of time), they are already bitching that one of his possible choices isn't against abortion. The US is turning into a Christian Crusader country.

vidcc
11-08-2004, 04:22 PM
I my self beleive in god and I am looking for a religeon to follow

If you believe in god why do you need a religion to follow? If god hears all prayers why the need to do it in groups. Why would god need choreographed ceromonies?

I've heard a lot of people accuse religion for being responsible for more man made death than anything else and noted the indignation in the rebuttal of religious people

The fact is that the belief in god hasn't cause one war..... but the religions have.

Spam-King
11-08-2004, 04:30 PM
If you believe in god why do you need a religion to follow? If god hears all prayers why the need to do it in groups. Why would god need

Because each religeon has its own rules, and I want to find one that I can agree with or atleast try to practice.

ruthie
11-08-2004, 04:32 PM
rules..what a concept..religious rules are usually imposed to have control over the people.

vidcc
11-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Because each religeon has its own rules, and I want to find one that I can agree with or atleast try to practice.there is only one rule....have faith in god.

choosing between following the sandal or the gourd makes no difference

Rat Faced
11-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Halalujah

An it harm none, do what you will

MagicNakor
11-08-2004, 04:49 PM
The three Abramic religions "point to the same god." Shinto, Hinduism, Vodun, and Wicca are all very different.

Rat Faced
11-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Added to which,

"There's nowt as 'Strange' as Folk", as my Granma always told me :rolleyes:

vidcc
11-09-2004, 12:54 AM
That is the first genuinely interesting thing I have saw you post. Fan-tastic, I knew you could do it.
Thank you for the compliment, i shall return it if ever you achieve such a standard