PDA

View Full Version : PSP vs DS

mike45450
11-10-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already.

Which do you prefer: PSP or DS?

And as a mini-question

Which are you going to get?

Personally i'm obsessed with the PSP with now. The DS, while it's innovative, the second screen doesn't seem to benefit it much. The only real things i've seen it do is show a map (which you can just easily press start and show one) and act as a steering wheel.

silent h3ro
11-10-2004, 10:39 PM
I prefer the PSP and I'm gonna get the PSP. I love the graphics of it and how it is just as powerful as the PS2 (I would LOVE to see GTA: San Andreas on it). Can't wait till its out. :)
EDIT: I also like the look of the PSP much more than the DS and it will probably have better games than the DS on it.

asmithz
11-10-2004, 10:40 PM
PSP will be better, but i am getting them both because they both come out differant times. PSP is going to beat the DS becuase it can play movies, and the graphics are better. DS will have more games, but the games arnt that good.

mike45450
11-10-2004, 10:57 PM
I might get the DS when it goes down in price or something, but so far i'm not entirely impressed with the launch titles. Some of them sound absolute wank (Egg Monster Hunter or something like that: WTF) and IMO it doesn't look half as good as the PSP looks.

Busyman
11-10-2004, 11:15 PM
I'll get both......when they drop in price (or if I get 'em hot).

The PSP is gonna be too expensive.

Sony can fuck themselves if it's over $200.

ahctlucabbuS
11-10-2004, 11:48 PM
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-11722-963-x-x-x

And for the record, I'm not sure if I'll buy any of them.

They'd have to come up with something truly fun and innovative for me to bother buying any console.

asmithz
11-10-2004, 11:59 PM
I really only want the DS for Sonic DS, and the Metroid game. PSP isnt expensive at all, well worth the price. It will be awhile before it drops in price, so why wait just get it now.

Peerzy
11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
PSP is gonna fail. Is TOO good. Makers arn't gonna want to make a game and spend 8 months on it and make i for a system that has very little cusomers and is very new becuase they could mke the same game in the same ammount of time for the PS2 which lreayd has millions of users. DS will be shit as well, tacky shit from nintendo.

Spicker
11-11-2004, 12:46 AM
psp

iMartin
11-11-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm not going to get either, but if I had to choose, I'd get the DS, the online, wireless multiplayer for just about every game sounds kickass. And the PSP will break on you in a matter of days, for christs sake it's from Sony.

Busyman
11-11-2004, 03:06 AM
PSP is gonna fail. Is TOO good. Makers arn't gonna want to make a game and spend 8 months on it and make i for a system that has very little cusomers and is very new becuase they could mke the same game in the same ammount of time for the PS2 which lreayd has millions of users. DS will be shit as well, tacky shit from nintendo.
If that's the case why do third party companies publish exclusives for the GC or Xbox then?

Why not just go PS2 for more sales?

For that matter go for the Gameboy. :dry:

Busyman
11-11-2004, 03:09 AM
I really only want the DS for Sonic DS, and the Metroid game. PSP isnt expensive at all, well worth the price. It will be awhile before it drops in price, so why wait just get it now.
OK how much is the PSP?

$200?

Considering that I have Halo 2, GTA, etc, what's the rush for me to spend $200 start-up cost for another system?

If I get it hot then that's cool. Otherwise it can eat Richard, I mean dick. :dry:

ahctlucabbuS
11-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Please refrain from using the word dick while I eat my cereal, thanks.

Manny Roscoe
11-11-2004, 07:25 AM
Isnt the PSP going to be 150 also? Its 150 in Japan..so...

ahctlucabbuS
11-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Isnt the PSP going to be 150 also? Its 150 in Japan..so...

Yup, think I remember hearing a while back they wanted to be competitive with DS on the price as well.

killer04
11-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Hmm thinking about getting the DS...Lots of good games.

Dick :D

Peerzy
11-11-2004, 02:54 PM
If that's the case why do third party companies publish exclusives for the GC or Xbox then?

Why not just go PS2 for more sales?

For that matter go for the Gameboy. :dry:
Gameboy is currently the only real handheld. Gamecube is preforming very bad and most of he games it gets are ports from other systems of Nintendo games. Xbox gets pritty much all the PS2 games apart from the odd few and still has its own good games. XBox is not so far away from a PS2.

Illuminati
11-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Personally, the DS looks a little better - Along with the Game Boy's dominance in the handheld market since the grey bricks came out, the DS seems to be in a better state than the PSP seems to be.

While a lot of the DS launch games seem to cheesily use the stylus screen (like what usually happens with any new technology), there are some in development that seem to use it in ingenious ways :) The actual shape of it is both an pro and con; it looks to be easy to hold but not really likely to fit a pocket comfortably. As for the new design, remember that there was some doubt concerning the SP when it first came out ;) Saying that there won't be a redesign ala the original GBA or the N-Gage is a little too confident though. The most significant feature however could be the wireless technology - Where only one player would need a copy of the game for everyone with a DS to play. Whether this will boost or damage Nintendo's sales figures remains to be seen.

As for the PSP, my main worry has been concerning the comments of several Japanese developers about the PSP. Concerns have been made on the PSP's battery life and the screen as well as the relative lack of ease of porting to the handheld. Sony have said they were improving them before launch but whether their improvements are enough remains to be seen on launch day.
Along with them, the price really needs to be confirmed although I'm expecting to see it for 200+ (considering that you can play media on it), but the main problem - the UMD discs. Yes, you may be able to watch movies on it, but the proprietry format means that if you want to watch a movie you already have, you'd need to buy the UMD - A turnoff considering that most would just use a DVD player for full-screen viewing. The same may apply for a lot of the games (unless they have considerable differences to their PS2 counterparts, like the MGS card game), although the DS suffers from this problem as well.

Hand in hand, I'd predict that Nintendo will keep their dominance in the handheld market, although the PSP will give it a hell of a fight before joining the Game Gear, Lynx and Neo Geo Pocket Colour in the handheld graveyard. Having said that, I was wrong when I thought the original Playstation wouldn't cut it between Nintendo & Sega, and likewise when I thought that there wasn't enough room for the X-Box ;)

Either way, I may hold out at least a month before buying either.

SingaBoiy
11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
On October 27, 2004, Sony announced the PSP's Japanese launch date and price. The machine will appear in a pack containing the console, battery, and mains adaptor for 20,790 yen including tax (around US$195, EUR 153, £106) on December 12, 2004. A "Value Pack" will also be available, consisting of the console, battery, mains adaptor, 32MB Magicgate Memory Stick Duo PRO, headphones, remote, slip-case and wrist strap, for 26,040 yen including tax (around US$245, EUR 192, £133).

http://hardware.gamespot.com/CompareItems-4-6-C-11723-11724

The hardware aspect of the PSP outperforms the others. Plus its a Sony PS product so you know it will have some games.

If I get one, it will be the PSP.

ahctlucabbuS
11-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Illuminati, seeing you've been wrong on all occasions I'll have to disagree :lol: ;)

PSP will sell simply because it's a sony product and that it has the 'playstation' brand.

So I doubt you'll be seeing the PSP on the graveyard at the very least.

mike45450
11-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Awesome! I was worried that the Value Pack was going to be way expensive, but an extra £33 is way worth it IMO.

Illuminati
11-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Illuminati, seeing you've been wrong on all occasions I'll have to disagree :lol: ;)

PSP will sell simply because it's a sony product and that it has the 'playstation' brand.

So I doubt you'll be seeing the PSP on the graveyard at the very least.

I never said I was wrong on all occasions - Just two significant ones ;)

The fact of history in the handheld market is that a brand name doesn't make or break a console:

Sega was a bloody big brand back at the time of the Game Gear - It failed for a number of reasons, one of the biggest was the battery use.

Atari tried it with the Lynx but it suffered for the same reason as the Jaguar - They were shite :lol:

Neo Geo were a big thing in Japan in the 90s, so the reasons for the NG Pocket Colour dying as quickly as it appeared are unsure. Could be that there wasn't much presence outside of Japan or that its strong links with the Dreamcast could have cursed them both.

Now the most recent, the Nokia N-Gage. Nokia is the largest mobile brand today, and has done its part in mobile gaming. Did it help the N-Gage? To an extent, but a very small one.

Some of these have been due to the GB's dominance, but a lot have been due to critical flaws in each down one path or another. The GBs have had theirs as well, but they've been able to cover them as much as possible, the recent one being solving their backlight problems in the original GBA by bringing out the SP.

I wouldn't make a bet on who wins the launch war, but long-term my money's still on the DS (for now - We haven't seen either for ourselves).

Mr. Elmo
11-12-2004, 05:19 PM
i personally am saving for a psp. I just like the title on the psp a lot better than those mario-type games on the DS. i've have also looked at the games on gamespot for the DS, and the graphics doesnt seem like it can compare to the PSP. I think that the PSP would have a lot of support from all the ps2 owner, and due to games like Final Fantasy advent (or w/e it is) , Gran turismo ,it would get a lot of customer as well.

oh, but i do agree with the bat lifetime thing....sony release something on gamespot that says the battery life is 4-6 hours? :(