PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Port Forwarding , Major help please.

Formula1
11-11-2004, 11:27 PM
I went to this site to learn how to port forward my linkys router.
http://www.portforward.com/linksys/...tforwarding.htm

When i went there it seemed that the directions where a little bit hard for me to understand and i couldnt go along with the images probably because the images where out of date (the placements of button and names of buttons where different when i went here , http://192.168.1.1/ ) Please if anyone could give me a good n00b guide or atleast a guide with more/updated corresponding images , i would greatly appreciate this.

{I}{K}{E}
11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
what type of Linksys are you using maybe your reading the wrong guide

Formula1
11-11-2004, 11:32 PM
A Wireless B , Model BEFW11S4

Formula1
11-11-2004, 11:34 PM
This is how exactly the images/buttons are set up like, when i look at them (i got this from a website)

http://www.linksys.com/faqs/images/portfwd2.jpg

{I}{K}{E}
11-11-2004, 11:37 PM
if you enter the correct IP it's a piece of cake...

Formula1
11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
I dont know the correct ip adress , i put the default , which is the exact same one that displays in the image , and also in the boxes i put the following texts.

"Application" Box - Apss
Start Box i Put - 10000 (because thats what it say in my bittornado preference list)
End Box - 60000 (what it said in bittornado prefs)
Protocol - TCP
Ip adress - exact same thing it says in that image

I checked the enable box , and clicked save settings.

lynx
11-12-2004, 12:23 AM
You have two options.

The first is to change your pc to use a static ip address. If you don't do this it can change and you will have to change your port forwarding when it does. In any case the address shown on the web site is only an example, it is unlikely to be the same as the address of your pc. Once you've set up a static address you will know what to put in that box.

The other alternative is to make sure you have UPnP installed on your pc. You should then be able to use that to make sure that your router and pc are always in sync, even if you use dynamic ip addresses. I haven't used UPnP myself so I can't give you any further pointers on that route.

In any case, you should not be using ports 10000 to 60000 for bittorrent. At most you need 1 port for each active torrent, and you should not open more ports than you actually need. I think it was telling you to pick a number (perhaps 10) of consecutive ports somewhere in the range 10000 to 60000, not the whole range.

Formula1
11-12-2004, 12:41 AM
You have two options.

The first is to change your pc to use a static ip address. If you don't do this it can change and you will have to change your port forwarding when it does. In any case the address shown on the web site is only an example, it is unlikely to be the same as the address of your pc. Once you've set up a static address you will know what to put in that box.

The other alternative is to make sure you have UPnP installed on your pc. You should then be able to use that to make sure that your router and pc are always in sync, even if you use dynamic ip addresses. I haven't used UPnP myself so I can't give you any further pointers on that route.

In any case, you should not be using ports 10000 to 60000 for bittorrent. At most you need 1 port for each active torrent, and you should not open more ports than you actually need. I think it was telling you to pick a number (perhaps 10) of consecutive ports somewhere in the range 10000 to 60000, not the whole range.

Alright thanks , so would 6881-6889 be good to put in the ports list for bt ?

tesco
11-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Alright thanks , so would 6881-6889 be good to put in the ports list for bt ?
yep those are the ones i use and it works perfect. :)

make sure you use a static IP like lynx said. if you have dynamic then wwhenever your IP changes you will need to forward the ports again. ;)

Virtualbody1234
11-12-2004, 01:58 AM
You can see what the IP is by clicking the DHCP tab and then DHCP Clients table. Your PC should be listed there.

Formula1
11-12-2004, 02:05 AM
Heres a screenshot of exactly what i did. And BTW virtual , i can't find the DHCP Tab :(

http://img6.exs.cx/img6/5412/lksk.jpg

tesco
11-12-2004, 02:11 AM
better way to find your IP would be to go to network connections folder in control panel, click your connection, then on the left side it will say the IP adress under details. or right click the connection and click status and it will say your IP somewhere there.

to make a static IP right click the connection>properties>click internet tcp\ip protocol>click "user the following IP adress"
enter in the IP adress, subnet mask (usually this is 255.255.255.0), the gateway will be your router's IP adress, and the primary DNS will also be the same as your router's IP adress. Leave secondary dns blank.
apply these settings anf your done.

Formula1
11-12-2004, 03:17 AM
Alright i applied my static ip address settings to both of my computer that are connected to the routers, hopefully there will be an omprove in speed in BT. Well thanks you all for all your help, i really appreciate it.

lynx
11-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Rather than using ports 6881-6889, make up your own range. Those are the default ports and they are sometimes blocked or restricted by ISPs. Because of that many trackers blacklist anyone using those ports.

Formula1
11-12-2004, 08:44 PM
so could 1000-10000 be good ?

Formula1
11-13-2004, 04:10 AM
When i set up a static for each of the PCs on my network , how do i make them have have different ip's ? I've noticed there might have been some type of ip error bwetween the two PC's connection.

Formula1
11-13-2004, 04:17 AM
One more thing i have noticed between my router and bittoret is , when my pc is hooked up to a router while i am downloading a file on BT , the light never turns green just yellow. And when my pc is not hooked to the router the light will always turn green no matter how man seeders/downloaders. So far after the port forwarding procedure the light has never turned green in BT , and my dl speed arent much of improvement, oh well.

tesco
11-13-2004, 04:23 AM
in the bt options you need to set the ports you want to use.

yellow means it cant connect properly.

Formula1
11-13-2004, 04:32 AM
i know... , whats the best port ? mine is is 10000-60000 , default set by the BT

lynx
11-13-2004, 10:47 AM
When i set up a static for each of the PCs on my network , how do i make them have have different ip's ? I've noticed there might have been some type of ip error bwetween the two PC's connection.
You need to give each pc it's own UNIQUE address on the lan. To do that the last bit (after the third ".") has to change.

It looks like your router has the address 192.168.1.1, so you can't use that for any of your pcs. So you could start numbering them 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 etc. There is potentially a problem with that too, some DHCP servers don't check that the address they are giving out has not already been used, but you don't need to worry about that if you are using static addresses throughout.

i know... , whats the best port ? mine is is 10000-60000 , default set by the BTI don't know where you got your copy of bittorrent, the usual defaults are 6881-6999, but as I've said these are blocked by many trackers. You should change bittorrent to use a much smaller range of ports (otherwise you are just wasting system resources), then set your router to forward those same ports.

You can use bittorrent on other pcs at the same time if you wish, but each pc also needs to use a unique range of ports so that you can forward the right ports to the right pc.

Formula1
11-14-2004, 04:43 PM
You need to give each pc it's own UNIQUE address on the lan. To do that the last bit (after the third ".") has to change.

It looks like your router has the address 192.168.1.1, so you can't use that for any of your pcs. So you could start numbering them 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 etc. There is potentially a problem with that too, some DHCP servers don't check that the address they are giving out has not already been used, but you don't need to worry about that if you are using static addresses throughout.

I don't know where you got your copy of bittorrent, the usual defaults are 6881-6999, but as I've said these are blocked by many trackers. You should change bittorrent to use a much smaller range of ports (otherwise you are just wasting system resources), then set your router to forward those same ports.

You can use bittorrent on other pcs at the same time if you wish, but each pc also needs to use a unique range of ports so that you can forward the right ports to the right pc.

Alright so when i go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click > Properties > Internet Protocol/Properties > For where it says ip adress, all i would have to put for the last digit , is make it 2 or 3 or 4 for each PC's , and that would give each of the pc in the network , its own unique IP ?

tesco
11-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Alright so when i go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click > Properties > Internet Protocol/Properties > For where it says ip adress, all i would have to put for the last digit , is make it 2 or 3 or 4 for each PC's , and that would give each of the pc in the network , its own unique IP ?
yep.
the first three oclets should always be the same (like 192.168.0.x). and make sure those first three are the same as what you have now.

Formula1
11-14-2004, 09:23 PM
alright thanks hopefully the port forwarding thing will work on my pc.

Formula1
11-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Omfg It freaking worked , the light in BT finally turned green , while it was behind a router. Thank you all so much for your great help, couldn't have done it without you all :)