PDA

View Full Version : Last one lol , Amazing tho

Jon L. Obscene
11-15-2004, 01:01 AM
This is just a surf clip, but it has to be one of , if not THE biggest ridden wave I've ever seen, bare in mind I seen a lot of surf movies :01:

I'm guessing this at 50-65 feet peek, absolutely amazing and hats off to the surfer, the man is either fearless or has some serious mental issues :ph34r:

Jaws - The Biggest Break on the planet (http://www.cooljonno.co.uk/vids/hugewave.wmv)

Jonno :cool:

DanB
11-15-2004, 01:04 AM
Thats pretty amazing :01:

manker
11-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Wow, that is quality :01:

{I}{K}{E}
11-15-2004, 01:28 AM
:cool:

Jon L. Obscene
11-15-2004, 01:37 AM
I would just like to give you something to thinkabout while watching that, acubic meter of salt water weighs appro 1 ton, a wave 3feet high and 100 meters long weighs 100 tons yes?....Now times that by twenty and move it at 30-40mph.
If you wipe out, you wanna be able to hold your breath for a minimum of 3 mins under stress.

It ain't called Jaws for nothing :ph34r:

100%
11-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Nice one- nice angle closeup at begining
have you ever been ridding awave like that?

Jonno youll like this one

http://www.compfused.com/media/hawaiianbeatdown.jpg

http://www.compfused.com/archives/Videos/2/ (http://www.compfused.com/downloads/14yqtj/hawaiianbeatdown.wmv)
(it wont let me hotlink movie so its on page 2 (second down)

"This is an instructional video on the proper way to get a Hawaiian beatdown. The first step is to paddle out to a surf contest you are not in and be an ass. Second is to prep face for beating. I assume you know the last step."
(http://www.compfused.com/downloads/14yqtj/hawaiianbeatdown.wmv)

Jon L. Obscene
11-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Dude thats a brawl, those guys are'nt surfers for 3 reasons

1: Real true surfers don't fight, especially on the beach
2: Real surfer would not interupt a comp
3:Real Surfers share waves anyway

There is this thing going on with "Locals" in surf spots around the world, I personally don't get it. When I was down Newquay I was surfing Towan beach, 5-7ft, clean, sun setting, really cool. There was only about 8 people out (bare in mind at hight of the day would be about 200), my mates had all gone to the cafe and it was me, another guy and a group of locals. So yeah what happend next was point break time :frusty: I get surrounded by them in the line up, making sarky comments, they tried to take the piss out of my gear, unfortunately my gear is top qualiity cunstom made stuff :01:
I'm also a longboarder, my board is 9'1" long, they were shortboarders (the little pointy ones) which means I can pick up a wave further out and ride it easier and with more power and glide :cool:
They did'nt like this so they started dropping in on me (taking off on a wave I'm already on to purposly wipe me out) and tugging my leash as I'm paddling for a wave, eventually I got pissed off with this local crap, I paddled out a bit further to pick up the sneaker sets, I got one, poped up and carved my way thru their group causing each one to dive off his board. Then I paddled back out and sat where I was and at that point I asked how much they paid for this part of the ocean, got sarky comments back so instead of doing what they wanted me to, I kept surfing, picking up everyway that came thru while they kept struggling, man they were getting wound up :lol:
No need for it tho 8 people in an area approx 500 sq yds leaves quite a bit of room :frusty:

manker
11-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Jonno, you are a true prince among men, I admire you for standing your ground.

But seriously:

and tugging my leash as I'm paddling for a wave
I'm not all that suprised you stayed on the beach while your mates went to the Cafe :unsure:

Jon L. Obscene
11-15-2004, 11:31 AM
I thought about that while typing it, and funny enough I thought you'd pick it up :rolleyes:

Actually you any idea how dangerous that is? , cause a major wipeout in impact zone, bone breaking head smasher wipeouts :ph34r:

As for standing my ground, I paid for holiday to go surfing, fucked if I'm gonna be pushed out, besides you know how sarcastically stubbourne I am :ph34r:

manker
11-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Actually I don't know how dangerous a major wipeout in the impact zone is.

It wounds really rude though :unsure:

iamtheoneandonlyone
11-15-2004, 11:36 AM
It is dangerous. You know that people have died trying to ride these waves. There are professionals out there who do this for living.

manker
11-15-2004, 11:40 AM
It is dangerous. You know that people have died trying to ride these waves. There are professionals out there who do this for living.I'm trying to work out if that's a metaphor or not :huh:

iamtheoneandonlyone
11-15-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm only typing with one hand, but yeah people have been killed.

manker
11-15-2004, 11:44 AM
:lol: :lol: :blushing:

Jon L. Obscene
11-15-2004, 12:01 PM

You're typing with 1 hand? :ohmy: Perv :dry: :lol:

No I don't know anyone who has died surfing, I think at some point we've all come close, I know I have several times.

And these guys don't do it for a living, most of the time they do it cos they want to, the only money to be made is from competition (which they rarely hold at places like Jaws or Mavericks) or from Advertisement, but usually the pics/vids are caught while they having fun.

The thing is with Jaws and Mavericks etc, these waves are too big to paddle into, think about it, a wave that is Too Big to paddle into, this means you can't get enough speed to get to the bottom of the wave before it breaks. This is why they use seado's or jetski's, tow starts to get them upto the 30-40mph before they start riding the wave.
The board is strapped to their feet, these guys hit 8-10ft "Chop" , bouncing off chop in the water which is big enough for a killer wave in itself.
These are an elite few, maybe only 100 people in the world ride these breaks.

This is the common miconception of surfing, very few people ride waves over 15 ft, it is a killer wave, no question. Normal surfers will ride 3-6ft and ocassionally bigger, biggest I been in is 10-12ft, imagine standing on your board at the bottom of a wave and looking up to see it's twice your hieght :ph34r:
Also think about standing on your board at the top of the wave, from your eye level it's an 18ft drop you're about to take :unsure: