PDA

View Full Version : Fox Hunting

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Since there is'nt a thread and right now it's at it's peak.

Lets talk about fox hunting and why it should/should'nt be banned :)

Personally I say ban it

Arguements for this just to start off :)
I'm actually interested in what people in other countries think :)

Foxes are vermin and need to be kept under control

True, but they don't have to be chased for miles and then torn to pieces by the dogs.

Hunting is a great tradition of English upper class

True, so was Hanging people.

It gives the dogs a purpose

Until their 3 y/o and considered "Too slow" , so they are destroyed.

Jonno :cool:

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Out the door, first left, 2nd right, past the green door then take a left, go thru the last door on the right......Thats the lounge ;) :P

Barbarossa
11-17-2004, 05:09 PM
I look forward to the day when all unnecessary cruelty to animals, for the sake of so-called entertainment, is abolished.

I think it's high time the Spanish had a long hard look at themselves, because in my opinion bullfighting is one of the worst atrocities to take place in a so-called civilised country. :angry:

vidcc
11-17-2004, 05:12 PM
My stance... i know hobbes will call me a carebear.

Hunting and eating what you kill...fine, that's nature's way and nature is balanced.

Hunting just for sport and the thrill of the kill.. Arrogant and shows the lowest side of mans attitude to nature.

Of course i swat flies and don't eat them but hey they come from mars

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:12 PM
I agree with bull fighting being bad, but at least every so often the bull gets his own way :01:

Foxes don't stand a chance, it's barbaric and brutal for all concerned except the Hunters themselfs.

Aparently it even if the vote passed today it will still need another vote of some sort in the new year, so it will be a while yet unfortunately.

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:15 PM
I take it that you support the necessary cruelty then. Which is the hunters argument, the culling is a necessary part of country life.

Yes it is necessary, but not the way it's done. A single shot would take out a fox quite easily and quick.
Tell me other than entertainment why they have to wear battle gear and chase an animal weighing no more than 30lbs , and use dogs to catch it and rip it limb from limb.

What would happen if people started doing that to cats or stray dogs?

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Yes it is, I don't like it, I went a few times as a kid and felt sorry for the fish :(
I don't fish by rod and reel, I have done maybe 60 times in my life but apart from when I was a kid I've always kept and either eaten or given to someone to at everything I caught :)

Course fishing will be banned soon too and I back that just as strongly as the Fox hunting ban :)

DanB
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Jonno

Ever go angling and catch anything you didn't eat. I know you have done the fishing with nets thing.

What do you think of sports angling. Is that also barbaric and brutal.

Use barbless hooks ;)

You might lose a couple of fish but its less cruel

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Thats true, Dan has a point there, there have beed efforts made to cut down on the suffering of the fish.
Also the fish 99% of the time does actually live.

Fox Hunting is the same now as it was 100 years ago, they rip the fox apart.

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
This is true JP it is not a nice thing, but personally I would rather have a hook thru my lip every few days than being thrown to the dogs to be litterally ripped and nawled to pieces, my limbs torn out their sockets after being broken, my neck being ripped out and then a tug o war with whats left between 20 dogs.

Which is really worse?

Also, acording to science stuff, fish don't feel pain (I'm sceptical but thats what they say)

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 05:35 PM
The latest scientific evidence is that they do feel pain, however they have very short memories.

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 05:39 PM
That's why I never send one to the bar for a round.

Exactly... always come back with bloody tonic :blink:

Jon L. Obscene
Foxes are :blink:

I would rather have neither to be perfectly frank. Anyone who indulges in either is a git, that is all there is to it.

Yes I edited the mammal bit having realised I missread what you said :)

Of course neither are necessary, the point being Fox Hunting should be banned, do you agree or not? :)

DanB
5 seconds or some such isn't it? :unsure:

Cheese
Hunt sabbing is always fun.

Not that I've ever been more than once, too many damn hippies...

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 05:41 PM
I wouldnt know :rolleyes:

Fox Hunting should be banned, together with Stag Hunting (Both with Hounds, not humane culling if necessary)..

I'd favour getting rid of Angling too... but as JP said... its just too damned popular that it will happen in the forceable future.

lynx
11-17-2004, 05:43 PM
I have yet to see a good argument why they don't go for drag hunting.

It has been proved to work, since it has been one of the major tools used by hunt saboteurs. It has the advantage that the "course" can be made to avoid dangerous situations and can also be routed away from certain properties; there is no way to make a fox do that. And there is a guarantee of a chase; I understand that on some occasions (unfortunately not enough) the hunt doesn't find a fox. Yet another indication of how inefficient it is as a means of control.

So what advantage is there in hunting a real fox? Oh yes, they get to see it ripped apart at the end of the chase. Sick bastards.

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Well this is'nt any good, no one's arguing :unsure:

:lol:

Edit: Apart from JP who's arguing yet agreeing with me :lol:

lynx
11-17-2004, 05:46 PM
5 seconds or some such isn't it? :unsure:
I'm not sure, what were we talking about? :ermm:

DanB
11-17-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure, what were we talking about? :ermm:

The memory of fish :D

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Shut it angler.

I ain't no angler, I live in East Anglia :unsure: does that make a difference? :1eye:

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 05:59 PM
You're stoned or pissed, one of the 2 :lol:

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 06:02 PM
You are a fisherman's friend.

Come on, don't all rush at the same time.

:sick:

They were revolting... do they still make 'em?

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 07:19 PM
@RF...... Yes :rolleyes:

@JP . ......Directions on previous page :P

hobbes
11-17-2004, 07:36 PM
First off, Vidcc is a carebear.

Second off, I neither hunt nor fish. The impaling of a writhing worm and the inevitable inextricable hook that leaves the fish gasping sort of turned me off as a kid.

In Texas, many of my collegues grew up hunting since an early age and they absolutely love it. There are very specific seasons for hunting and penalties for any abuse. It may be one of the few things we do well here.

To a man, they have the animals butchered and distribute venison jerky.

I'm a city boy, I never hunted, I don't get it, but I think it is ok.

The reason being that the animals hunted have by and large lost their natural pretadors and reproduce unchecked. If hunting season doesn't pare their numbers down before winter, many will starve, which is crueler than a bullet.

Prarie dogs are also hunted elsewhere, as their numbers get way out of control. People volunteer to go destroy a given number. Although this prevents starvation, I wonder about the mentality of those all excited about blowing them away.

Have you seen, Whack-a mole? Head pops up from burrow, head blown off. What sicko wants to do that. And no, people don't eat them (I don't think).

No fox hunting as a sport for me.

Jonno, bull fights are very cruel as well. Piccadors get the bulls angry before the match even starts by spearing them in the sides. The only good thing about the sport is "El Corrido de Toros", where the bulls run down the streets and inflict serious pain on idiots.

And Vidcc is a carebear.

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Jonno, bull fights are very cruel as well. Piccadors get the bulls angry before the match even starts by spearing them in the sides. The only good thing about the sport is "El Corrido de Toros", where the bulls run down the streets and inflict serious pain on idiots.

Ok you guys must stop doing that, it's the third time one of you has said thesame as me, it's scaring me, I'm not used to people agreeing :crying:

Tifosi
11-17-2004, 07:54 PM
No-one's mentioned that the blood of the fox is smeared on the face of "hunt virgins". This is exactly the kind of behaviour I'd expect from the inbred 'country' folk. I say the hunters should become the hunted - the normal population should have the duty to weed out those from the lower end of the gene pool :)

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Ok you guys must stop doing that, it's the third time one of you has said thesame as me, it's scaring me, I'm not used to people agreeing :crying:

You realise we've already booked your flight so you can go on El Corrido de Toros?

The Co-Op's waiting for you to ring up with the Balance...

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 08:11 PM
See, if we agree with you we say Git. If we disagree we say Git.

Doesn't make you any less of a git tho'.

:crying: You don't have to be so harsh

:shifty:

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 08:20 PM
But he is a git :rolleyes:

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
I was refering to your good self, sir :unsure:

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 08:27 PM
True :)

http://www.yourdailynews.com/dailypic/budweiser.jpg

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Nope..

Just deliberatly a Git at times ;)

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Git is such a great word is'nt it :01:

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Not if I point out that the apostrophe should be between the n and t.

It is is'nt it?, I thort when you use a hifen like that it goe's between the s and the n. Oviarsley im rong :unsure:

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Is that a London accent you've aquired Jonno?

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Why thankyou :)

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 09:21 PM
You barsteward :angry: You spammed my thread and got it moved to the lounge :dry:

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 09:33 PM
You did..............Git :dry:

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Don't you Oi me :dry:

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Listen chum............p....if you you at me then oi me I'm gonna you at you until you stop youing at me you.

SpatulaGeekGirl
11-17-2004, 11:00 PM
I don't know what kind of heartless bastard could look at this beautiful creature...then kill it.

*Picture removed 'cause aparently it's "emotive"*

But whoever they are, they must have something seriously wrong with them.

manker
11-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Would it be OK if it tasted nice. Just asking.

Jon L. Obscene
11-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Killing to eat is different to killing for fun :)

I personally don;t like the idea of a dog, cat, deer, horse being killed for food.
But then some people would dissagree with me eating cow or pig.

SpatulaGeekGirl
11-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Would it be OK if it tasted nice. Just asking.

That wouldn't be as bad but there are a lot of people out there that get up set over people eating dogs. I don't see how it's any different.

manker
11-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Don't mind me - I just think that the aesthetics argument for not killing stuff - OMG!!1 It's SOOOOO PRETTY!!!1 - is a bit shit.

There is a Vandals song called 'The Unseen Tears Of The Albacore' Which hardly anyone except lilmiss will have heard which is pretty poignant.

SpatulaGeekGirl
11-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Don't mind me - I just think that the aesthetics argument for not killing stuff - OMG!!1 It's SOOOOO PRETTY!!!1 - is a bit shit.

There is a Vandals song called 'The Unseen Tears Of The Albacore' Which hardly anyone except lilmiss will have heard which is pretty poignant.
I'm not referring to just foxes, I mean all animals. I don't see how killing a beautiful, living creature in such a brutal manner could possibly be considered a "pass time". If people were going to kill it to use for food I wouldn't have a problem with it.

SpatulaGeekGirl
11-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Then please to be not posting emotive pictures. It is a cheap and obvious tactic. It is beneath you.
Sorry, I just liked the pretty fox :(

Rat Faced
11-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Then please to be not posting emotive pictures. It is a cheap and obvious tactic. It is beneath you.

Then why did you do it?

I find it most unfair, telling this young lady off for posting a picture of a Fox in no torment, whilst you put a picture of Battery Farm hens up...

I would say that the picture you posted was the emotive one.

:rolleyes:

SpatulaGeekGirl
11-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Then why did you do it?

I find it most unfair, telling this young lady off for posting a picture of a Fox in no torment, whilst you put a picture of Battery Farm hens up...

Rat Faced rawks.:blow:

lynx
11-17-2004, 11:41 PM
And he probably had an ulterior emotive too. ;)

SpatulaGeekGirl
11-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Come on fugley, where are you? Afraid to show your face?:boxing:

Jon L. Obscene
11-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Then why did you do it?

:lol: pwned

Barbarossa
11-18-2004, 09:30 AM
What a shame this ended up in the lounge, but I guess there's no-one here to argue the case for foxhunting, I wonder where they all are? Demonstrating I guess...

Jon L. Obscene
11-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Yeah I did'nt post it in the Drawthing place, but since no one disagree's there's not much of a debate is there :(

manker
11-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Yeah I did'nt post it in the Drawthing place, but since no one disagree's there's not much of a debate is there :(
Yes you did :blink:

Jon L. Obscene
11-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Spelling error

DanB
11-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Spelling error

:blink:

I am so surprised no one has made a comment about hunting foxes on a Friday night :shifty:

Lilmiss
11-18-2004, 10:56 AM
'The Unseen Tears Of The Albacore'.

I prefer;
Vegicide - Guttermouth :D :P :lol:

manker
11-18-2004, 11:00 AM

I prefer;
Vegicide - Guttermouth :D :P :lol:

:lol: :D http://img116.exs.cx/img116/5586/glag.gif

Lilmiss
11-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Actually, theres one I'm thinking of but can't remember the title.
It's on "Short Music For Short People", 30 second songs.

The lyrics are;
....All my shoes are leather.
And I don't care whether or not,
All the little animals would have been shot.

It's gonna drive me loopy all day now. :frusty:
It'll be the first thing on, when I get home.

manker
11-18-2004, 11:21 AM
That's Bigwig, aint it? I wouldn't swear to it mind.

Lilmiss
11-18-2004, 11:26 AM
It is, but whats it called? :blink:

It rawks!!! :D

manker
11-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I duno, I'm talking to a mate on the phone and he says it's 'Freedom' - I think he's full of shite 'cause that's a really gay name.

manker
11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Googled and it's called Freegan :D

Lilmiss
11-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Thats sounds about right.
I will have to check later though.
Just to be sure. :shifty:

:w00t:

Illuminati
11-18-2004, 01:38 PM

Jesus - How long has it been since we last agreed? :wacko:

I'm probably gonna get flank but I am one to support using animals for necessary uses - The more common being food, the more touchy being animal research. Many of the medical advances of the past century have involved animal research at one stage or another, and the sacrifices of those animals has given many of those who protest it the medical health to do so. True, I'd love more human research involved (as is being the case nowadays) but while their use in research helps in finding cures and treatments for many ailments still around (especially cancer) then I'll feel thankful for their (involuntary) contribution rather than angry about it. Same kinda goes with food - Until rice is GM'd to give the RDA of every nutrient in meat, I'll keep eating it :)

What I do oppose is the unnecessary use of animals - Use of them in cosmetics (although the brands that Cherie Blair use could be excused, for all our sakes ;)), and in needless hunting is pushing the use of animals too far. Even worse is for entertainment, ala the fox hunting.

I'm not one to consider a fox cute, but using a form of entertainment to control the population when other, less-suffering methods can be used is barbaric.

In the end however, this issue will be down to the classes - The lower-class want to put tabs on the upper class (as should have been done to the bastards decades ago), and the upper class aren't liking it imposed on them. Still, we can take comfort in that all they can do is delay it... :devil:

TheDave
11-18-2004, 02:05 PM
i'm a lazy twunk so haven't read the thread, i can see arguements from both sides. if i was a farmer and a fox was bothering my animals and ruining my livelyhood i'd want the fox dead. however i hate toffs who ride horses and breed annoying dogs

DanB
11-18-2004, 02:05 PM
There's nothing to stop the farmer shooting it with his shotgun

Rick Phlegm
11-18-2004, 02:06 PM
however i hate toffs who ride horses and breed annoying dogs
You could always breed foxes and go dog hunting... :01:

TheDave
11-18-2004, 02:07 PM
You could always breed foxes and go dog hunting... :01:like the goldfish that thought it was a pirhanna (sp?)?

just a thought, are the people who want to ban fox hunting the same people who are against battery chicken farms?:smilie4:

manker
11-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Jesus - How long has it been since we last agreed? :wacko:

:D :lol:

To maintain the staus quo - last night I was remarking on the Liverpool team of the late 70s and 80s. I doubt you'd agree with my theories there :no:

Nice post above, btw.

Rat Faced
11-18-2004, 02:13 PM
just a thought, are the people who want to ban fox hunting the same people who are against battery chicken farms?

I am... :rolleyes:

Im not against Hunting Foxes if they become a problem though...

Im against using hounds to scare the poor bastards half to death and then rip them apart.

People defending this "Sport" are just total sick bastards

manker
11-18-2004, 02:16 PM
just a thought, are the people who want to ban fox hunting the same people who are against battery chicken farms?:smilie4:
I don't see what point you're making.

TheDave
11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
I don't see what point you're making.

free range chickens - wont they get attacked by the foxes?

manker
11-18-2004, 02:25 PM
free range chickens - wont they get attacked by the foxes?:lol:

That went right over my head :D

I think if i was the proprietor of a Chickenery I would employ some people to sit about all day and shoot foxes with guns, rather than all that horsey, beagly chicanery.

manker
11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
You reckoned they were shite as I recall.I am surprised you recall that much. Some of your posts were quite apple-tastic :01:

Rick Phlegm
11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
I think if i was the proprietor of a Chickenery I would employ some people to sit about all day and shoot foxes with guns, rather than all that horsey, beagly chicanery.
Maybe killing them yourself takes the 'sport' out of it :rolleyes:

vidcc
11-18-2004, 02:50 PM
What I do oppose is the unnecessary use of animals - Use of them in cosmetics
I agree totally...why test lipstick on rabbits...surely their problem is facial hair :unsure:

Illuminati
11-18-2004, 02:52 PM
:D :lol:

To maintain the staus quo - last night I was remarking on the Liverpool team of the late 70s and 80s. I doubt you'd agree with my theories there :no:

Nice post above, btw.

Why am I not surprised of your theories? :rolleyes: Typical Man Utd supporter :P

At least we can get pleasure in the fact that Utd's successes in the past two decades has generally been down to Fergie rather than the abilities of most of the players in that time ;)

Biggles
11-18-2004, 06:56 PM
As I understand it the argument for Fox hunting is that it is a country thing and townies just don't understand.

Bollocks! is what springs to mind.

I was raised in the North of Scotland (not replete with towns) and there were no eejits charging around on horseback hunting foxes. However, there were lots of people fishing for salmon and hunting with guns - both deer and pheasant. All most pleasant in the pot.

The horseback hunt was the sport of the gentry and they hunted wild boar and deer. The problem is they hunted them to extinction. The fox hunt is a rather lame substitute because there was nothing left to chase - so much for "custodians of the countryside". Oscar Wilde referred to them "as the unspeakable chasing the uneatable"

Incidently, foxes eat wabbits - without foxes we would be over-run with the little blighters.

However, as much as the hunting fraternity despise the townie if you were to say "actually I don't want your produce I will buy from other sources" you would hear them squeal like... well like wild boars actually. :) They could not survive without the townies and their Euro subsidies - despite their protestations.

One of the funiest things I have seen on TV recently was the look of abject disbelief that the Met. would bop their betters over the head if they blocked the road to Westminster. They were aghast and called the boys in blue "animals". I think they thought the police had truncheons marked "for hippies, leftos and peaceniks only" I almost wet myself... :ermm: although that might just have been due to too much apple.

So yes, I approve of the ban. I was delighted that Scotland banned it a while back although admittedly we only had about a dozen hunts mostly down in the border regions. I did hear a chap on the radio the other week saying that they had not scrapped their hunt as they had moved onto drag hunting and he said "it is a lot more fun than I thought it would be" (although in a strangulated accent I could not even begin to emulate). So don't be surprised if, after all the tantrums, there are few if any hunts that throw in the towel and shoot all their dogs and horses. Hunting is a huge social thing as much as anything else and when push comes to shove they have already bought the nice red jackets and all the tack.

On one last note, I am old enough to remember one of the earliest excuses given to preserve hunting was that it is purely tradition and most times the fox gets away :) well now he just gets away a bit more often.

Gemby!
11-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Oooo I've argued about this with my dad, ofcourse I am always right, especially in this case :D

Ban it, it's cruel :)

~GEMBY IS GOD~

Biggles
11-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Oooo I've argued about this with my dad, ofcourse I am always right, especially in this case :D

Ban it, it's cruel :)

~GEMBY IS GOD~

Banned it is! :01:

Jon L. Obscene
11-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Yup, it passed :01:

Aparently it wont end in Feb when the ban take effect, altho I did'nt hear why :frusty:

Biggles
11-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Yup, it passed :01:

Aparently it wont end in Feb when the ban take effect, altho I did'nt hear why :frusty:

Oh! I thought I heard the opposite. The Government tried to make it in 18 months or 3 years but The Commons voted for 3 months. Perhaps I mis-heard.

keyser_soze
11-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Yeah ban it, theres no need for it in todays society, I come from a hunting area and believe me when I say that virtually no money is generated from the hunt and the money that is just goes back into organising the hunt for next time, I've had some great quotes on tv, 1 of the best being "If there was no fox to chase then it would be just people charging round the countryside on horse back and wheres the fun in that" and that to me just about sums up the mentality of participants. :01: Round here they also have hound trails where the dogs follow a trail that has been laid with an aniseed rag so why can't they just do the same, they could still get pissed up and charge round the country but without anything dying, I might even have a go at it myself that being the case :D The folk involved are'nt even country folk more land owners, the real country folk are trying to earn a crust and are too busy for poncing about on £20,000 horses, The real reason they want to carry on kill foxes is.......... big drum roll.... because they want to kill a fox, its all part of making small minded ppl feel just that little bit bigger.
Right, off my soap box now that I feel that little bit bigger for mouthing from the safety of my pc :01:

Btw fishing although I don't personally like it is in a slightly different category because being cold blooded a fish trying to get off a hook is more of a defense reaction than it actually feeling pain although the resulting wound is wide open from other bacterial infections that may kill the fish anyway, sorry for going over old ground but I only read the post upto page 7 :whistling

TheDave
11-18-2004, 11:09 PM
its all part of making small minded ppl feel just that little bit bigger.

just realised that. its something they can do but we cant

Jon L. Obscene
11-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Oh! I thought I heard the opposite. The Government tried to make it in 18 months or 3 years but The Commons voted for 3 months. Perhaps I mis-heard.

I watched the other day and they said the same thing I heard today, the ban will take effect from Febuary but wont be finalized for some time, why this is I'm not sure.

manker
11-18-2004, 11:23 PM
I think they used the Parliament Act to rush the ban through. I was listening to parts of it live on the radio earlier.

Fox hunting will be banned from February.

keyser_soze
11-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Thats how democracy works the masses have spoken, I dont particularly like a lot of laws in this country but I have to live with the majority so what makes hunts ppl think uk law does'nt apply to them, I might fancy chasing a snob in a red coat and white lycra(gay) pants round my garden while setting my dog on them and hiiting them over the head with a stick but the law won't let me so I guess I'll just have to live with it :( Another point is if I was to set my dog on any animal I would probably face some time in jail and at least a ban from keeping animals so if I can't do it in my garden no1 else should be able to do it in my countryside. :01: I've just realised how much the fox hunting issue is pissing me off :D

vidcc
11-19-2004, 09:45 PM
check out these sickos (http://www.live-shot.com)

now this is just sick in my mind...a camera strapped to a gun cotrolled via the internet and you can shoot from your desk

Strangelove
11-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Foxhunters are sicko's

And anyone that uses that on-line thing is too, unless its the paper targets

Strangelove
11-20-2004, 12:09 AM
The Countryside Alliance today began a high court challenge to the ban on foxhunting, which was pushed through parliament last night despite the opposition of the House of Lords.
The group - which has led a fierce campaign to save the centuries-old tradition of hunting with hounds - began what could be a long route through the courts by lodging papers seeking a judicial review.

These will be studied by a single judge, who will have to decide whether there is an "arguable case" that should go to a full high court hearing.

Countryside Alliance members are basing the case on the claim that the 1949 Parliament Act, which was used by anti-hunt MPs to force the law through, is illegitimate. It allows MPs to push through legislation against the will of the Lords if it has been rejected by peers over two sessions.

The countryside group, being represented by Sir Sidney Kentridge QC, argues that the act - which replaced the original Parliament Act of 1911 - is illegitimate, because it was forced through parliament, despite the Lords' opposition, by use of the previous act. The 1911 act said laws could be pushed through following three sessions of parliament.

The papers were lodged in the names of John Jackson, the Countryside Alliance chairman; Mair Hughes, a farrier's wife from the Rhondda, in Wales, and Patrick Martin, a member of the Bicester hunt.

Lord Donaldson, a former Master of the Rolls and one of Britain's most senior retired judges, said in a radio interview that the legal case had "100% strength".

:no:

keyser_soze
11-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Master of the Rolls and one of Britain's most senior retired judges What the fucks he got to do with anything :rolleyes: ;)