PDA

View Full Version : The Band AId thing?

100%
11-20-2004, 03:22 PM
(enuflakes inspired thread)

So what do you think?

Personally i find it embarresing to watch
embarresing to see artists loose their identity
embarresing that they didn't compose a new tune (nor video clip design)

But its all for a Good Purpose
(with updated "stars")

so why not

it xmas time.....:ph34r:

enoughfakefiles
11-20-2004, 03:26 PM
What`s embarassing is that rachel stevens was`nt even supposed to be there.she sneaked in with will young. :lol: :lol:

Samurai
11-20-2004, 03:47 PM
I've heard the new one. It's crap. The original was so much better. But as you say, it's for a good cause so...

sArA
11-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Good cause...dull song.... :dry:

Illuminati
11-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Good cause - Shame that the execution wasn't that great.

Thatcher originally told Band Aid to pay the taxes on their singles, so who do they put on the track? Busted, a band of Tory boys.

Bono and Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins arguing on doing the infamous line - Either Hawkins was getting a little prima donna, or he did it better but Bono was too stubborn to let another play it. Take your pick on which side you believe.

A portion of the stars there didn't know about the reason behind Band Aid, another act pointing at Bob Geldof and asking who he was. The Sugababes, one of the other acts, needed a prompt sheet.

And to top it off, they get a questionable modern artist to design a cover for the single. His original (a two-sider to be fair) depicted an african child in the hands of the Grim Reaper.

The term "farce" is a little understating. While the intentions are once good again, this time it seems like the cause has become a bandwagon for today's manufactured wonders to seem good and honourable. If it was anything but that, you have to wonder why they did it in the first place.

To quote one of the papers I read, "buy two copies - but for god's sake, don't play them". TBH I'd have rather the original was re-released instead of remade :(

lynx
11-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Thatcher originally told Band Aid to pay the taxes on their singlesNot true. Customs & Excise told them they had to pay tax. Fair enough, that's their job. The government told Customs & Excise to take it off. Not really surprised a scouser got that one wrong though.

Illuminati
11-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Not true. Customs & Excise told them they had to pay tax. Fair enough, that's their job. The government told Customs & Excise to take it off. Not really surprised a scouser got that one wrong though.

Customs, cabinet...they're all the fecking government :P

And besides, it was still Thatcher who Geldof was giving that infamous confrontation about the tax ;)

exo_body
11-20-2004, 05:40 PM
www.bandaid.com
go support them

natedogg
11-21-2004, 12:20 AM
its embarresing that u mispelled aid :lol:, i think its aight, thats my fav christmas song

*goddess*
11-21-2004, 12:23 AM
:blink: aight??

Band Aid was correct spelling, tho typo was there.

:wacko: I've only seen a lil bit of the clip and wasn't overly impressed.

:) course, as said before, they can be forgiven as it's for a good cause.

Jon L. Obscene
11-21-2004, 12:52 AM
IMO anyone who moans about something someone does for charity should do something bigger before they can complain in any way :)

Band Aid was great way back when and is great again, a different song would'nt have been right :)

Jonno :cool:

Illuminati
11-21-2004, 01:06 AM
IMO anyone who moans about something someone does for charity should do something bigger before they can complain in any way :)

I never said that I was moaning about the actual song - Do They Know It's Christmas was a great song and the re-release will hopefully sell a lot of copies.

I just questioned why some of them were there when they hadn't a bloody clue about the cause in the first place. :huh:

vidcc
11-21-2004, 01:13 AM
is this the 3rd version...didn't a really embarassing one get made with kylie minogue and Bros etc.?

Cheese
11-21-2004, 04:05 AM
Bah.

Mr. Mulder
11-21-2004, 09:58 AM
wot Cheese said :01:

Yeah it's for a good cause and all, but it doesn't change the fact that it's shit. They've got all the latest gimics from top of the pops like ..........*insert popular names here*.......... :unsure: would have been better with actual singers maybe, and without that stupid rap bit in it from whoever that geptard is? :ermm:

Jon L. Obscene
11-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Am I right in thinking a couple of you are suggesting some of the stars done it for the publicity and not the cause?........Yes thats true, but who cares, they still done it, bottom line is these people gave up their time freely to help a charity.
How many here have done that?

And yes before you ask, I have done charity work :01:

Was quite miffed when I asked for my wages and they would'nt give me any :dry:

Edit: ARGH!!! I'm in music world :ph34r:

Cheese
11-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Am I right in thinking a couple of you are suggesting some of the stars done it for the publicity and not the cause?........Yes thats true, but who cares, they still done it, bottom line is these people gave up their time freely to help a charity.
How many here have done that?

And yes before you ask, I have done charity work :01:

Was quite miffed when I asked for my wages and they would'nt give me any :dry:

Edit: ARGH!!! I'm in music world :ph34r:

Are you suggesting we can only criticise the motives of some of these stars if we have done charity work ourselves?

Well I've done charity work for a couple of years now so I guess I have a free-licence to bitch about these 15-minuters jumping on the bandwagon to whore themselves out a little longer. Not that I will though.

Mr. Mulder
11-21-2004, 11:08 AM
bottom line is these people gave up their time freely to help a charity.
No they didn't! :lol: they did it for publicity, half of them couldn't find Africa on a map if it was labeled and showed to them :rolleyes:

Other than the one or two obvious ones, the rest are there for show and if the aim is to get there huge 14 and 15 year old fan bases into charity work then that's fine :)

(Btw: have sigs always showed up on previews? :unsure: )

Cheese
11-21-2004, 11:22 AM
But we all know you just did it for the free, out of date condoms.

This is true.

Now can I interest you in a balloon animal?

DanB
11-21-2004, 11:27 AM
its a crap song

Jon L. Obscene
11-21-2004, 12:20 PM
No they didn't! :lol: they did it for publicity, half of them couldn't find Africa on a map if it was labeled and showed to them :rolleyes:

I did state that bit :rolleyes:

Other than the one or two obvious ones, the rest are there for show and if the aim is to get there huge 14 and 15 year old fan bases into charity work then that's fine :)

Yes but the fact remains they ALL done it for a good cause, whether or not it helps their career is irelevent, you think everyone in the last one done it just for the good of the people?

Elton John gave 50 grand to CIN, which made him look wonderful and will quite possibly encourage some old people to buy his new single, but he still gave 50grand, McFly done this thing with their single, you can't get better publicity than that, but they still helped the charity.

The one thing that did piss me off was Justin Hawkins throwing a tantrum cos he wanted to sing Bono's bit :dry:

Are you suggesting we can only criticise the motives of some of these stars if we have done charity work ourselves?

yeah basically :lol:

Well I've done charity work for a couple of years now so I guess I have a free-licence to bitch about these 15-minuters jumping on the bandwagon to whore themselves out a little longer. Not that I will though.

No, I don't see why or how anyone can moan about anything anyone does for a good cause, if they get something out of it for themselfs which does not affect the charity then fair enough, why not?
But the fact remains they did it FREE and for a good cause, I would say that deserves a little respect same as anyone who's ever helped a needy cause.

Thats my opinion anyway :)

Mr. Mulder
11-21-2004, 12:32 PM
It's still a shit song :lol: and anyone can freely criticize a shit song, or a good one for that matter, regardless of it's aim. You'd just think that for a song with such good intentions they would have gotten actual singers instead of puppets :blink:

The fact of the matter is, it's shit - and people shouldn't feel bad for saying or thinking it because it is. They should still rush out on buy it, but maybe put it in the back of a draw and forget about it, or buy the original too ;)

Celerystalksme
11-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Ok i have done charity work for 4 major organizations in Australia, i have donated lyrics to people who wanted to get their singing career started...so i can criticize this song to my hearts content...

When you have a UK Idol singing about famine in Africa...it kind of takes away a lot of shine...The Darkness will always be a shitty band with a twat as a lead singer and im pretty sure he couldn't give 2 shits about a starving kid in Africa...

Im just gonna donate $5 to them...f*ck buying that shitty recording of a piss poor song to begin with...and if you want me to write something better...then i will fecking well do it :p