PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Modding??

mattesca
11-21-2004, 04:51 AM
Howdy yall......ok i wont do that again.....I need help on PS2 modding cause i dont know a thing about it. Me and bigdawgfoxx are goin to mod my PS@ so we need all the info yall can give us, Like whats the best stuff to get, and whats it do, ....etc..

Thanks yall

bigdawgfoxx
11-21-2004, 04:52 AM
now all we gotta do is "grab me pench of snuff and cold burr" hahaha

mattesca
11-21-2004, 04:59 AM
foxx shut up i need to be serious on this stuff

bigdawgfoxx
11-21-2004, 06:31 AM
why do we want to mod ur ps2?

Duffman
11-21-2004, 07:33 AM
My friend just bought a Magic V from modchips.ca, thats where I got my xbox modchip, there pretty good, well get it and install it, and I'll let you know.

freak
11-21-2004, 07:54 AM
By "Modding" what do you mean? Do u mean u just want to put a modchip in or do u want to mod the case or do u want to get HDloader running so u can install game on the hard drive so the ps2 will read off the HD instead of the DVD/Cd??? A little more info and I can help with all that...

Rip The Jacker
11-21-2004, 08:00 AM
After doing some research and reading about it, HDLoader looks very promising. Just how is it? I heard a few games won't work with it, but only a few.

freak
11-21-2004, 08:18 AM
I think it's awesome! I haven't had any problems with it yet. it also make the games load quit abit faster the only down fall is theres no easy way to go online with games on the HD...

bigdawgfoxx
11-21-2004, 01:17 PM
I think Matt wants to get a modchip so that he can burn games...I dont want to do that to my ps2 cuz Id rather just play games on my computer..

If he buys a modchip then how hard is it to burn the games?

mattesca
11-21-2004, 02:24 PM
ok well i like the idea oh having the games on a hardrive but how can i get the games from the internet on tot the hardrive???

And how mch would yall think thos stuff is goin to cost me?

Oh and can i do both, like get the chip to use burned discs and Hdloader?

bigdawgfoxx
11-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Where can we buy a good modchip that should play almost all burnt games? It could be soldered or non soldered.

freak
11-21-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm not 100% what the rules are here about posting sites for modchip but I'll post a good site to buy from and a mod can remove it if need be then I'll just pm it to you... The site is www.foundmy.com go to the site click on The Device this is where the chips are... I would recommend the CRYSTAL CHIP when u get the chip it only supports booting of homebrew programs no backup games, But it is firmware upgradeable by simply downloading the firmware and burning to cdr and putting it in the system... And I know where to get the hacked firmware that will let it boot backups. So u can PM me to get that. if u dicide to go with the chip I suggested.
Also u may notice that site sells HDloader don't buy it. u can download a patched better version online. I can also let u know where to get that... For the HDloader thing u will need a network adapter and I would recommend a maxtor HD of any size but I wouldn't go smaller then 80gb. btw the chip has to be soldered. There probably alot more info I can cover but to much at once so after this post anymore questions let me know.

tesco
11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
what's a homebrew game...and why no backups...isn't a burnt game a backup?

freak
11-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Homebrew programs are fan made such as HDloader which was fan made. The chip only boots homebrew because of legal problems in the communty latly. So they allow homebrew and no backup/burned games. But the firmware upgrade for the chip are open source so there are hacked versions on the net so u can upgrade the chip to play backups.

Duffman
11-21-2004, 07:24 PM
modchips.ca i have placed a few orders there, and so have my friends.

h121589
11-21-2004, 07:40 PM
modchipstore.com

muchspl2
11-21-2004, 09:31 PM
I got hdloader for 36 shipped from www.gocybershop.ca
they also sell flip tops and chips
I love my hdloader, here is a list of the games that work with it, only a few don't play
http://www.hdloader.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-70.html

freak
11-22-2004, 06:30 AM
I got hdloader for 36 shipped from www.gocybershop.ca
they also sell flip tops and chips
I love my hdloader, here is a list of the games that work with it, only a few don't play
http://www.hdloader.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-70.html

The downloadable version is better has patchs for it. allows more games to work and allows the use of larger hard drives..

Fastrap
11-25-2004, 11:50 PM
i have one question

do i need a mod-chip,sawp magic, or a flip-top to save burned ps2 games to a HD-loader?

like can i just download a ps2 game off of suprnova extract it burn it to a DVD-R or DVD+R using a dvd burner start up my ps2 run the HD Loader then just put the backup disc into the ps2 would it just automaticly save to the hard drive?

I hope I Was Clear?

muchspl2
11-26-2004, 12:17 AM
no mod chip is needed with hdloader, but you have to buy hdloader
you also need a network adapter

and correct you can just download off suprnova and transfer to your HD via WinHIIP

Fastrap
11-26-2004, 12:18 AM
no mod chip is needed with hdloader, but you have to buy hdloader
you also need a network adapter

and correct you can just download off suprnova and transfer to your HD via WinHIIP

so i wont need a dvd burner?

freak
11-26-2004, 12:21 AM
u don't even need the retail ver of hdloader... u can use a backup copy without a modchip... It requires the MC exploit and a normal PS games

Fastrap
11-26-2004, 01:00 AM
u don't even need the retail ver of hdloader... u can use a backup copy without a modchip... It requires the MC exploit and a normal PS games

can you please explain what you just typed in simpliar terms?

Fastrap
11-26-2004, 01:07 AM
and can someone explain to me how to use

WinHIIP??

freak
11-26-2004, 01:13 AM
i'll PM u all the info u need... But u need to enable PMs first

Fastrap
11-26-2004, 01:15 AM
alright you can send me pm's now

thanks in advance for helping me out man.

muchspl2
11-26-2004, 06:54 AM
u don't even need the retail ver of hdloader... u can use a backup copy without a modchip... It requires the MC exploit and a normal PS gamesthats not 100% correct
you need a mod chip to load the iso that has al the games on it
to transfer it to the MC

freak
11-26-2004, 09:40 AM
thats not 100% correct
you need a mod chip to load the iso that has al the games on it
to transfer it to the MC

Either u misunderstood me or u don't know what ur talking about... Once u get the exploit on ur memory card U use a non burned playstation game as the trigger cd and will allow u to boot the hdloader elf off ur memory card. You in no way need a modchip. Even though modchips make it easier it's not required...

And what exactly do u mean to load the iso with the games on it? once hdloader is booted u can boot games just fine off the hd with no modchip. As long as u use WinHIIP to install the games to ur HD

freak
11-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Here are 3 diffrent Guides for diffrent ways and none require a modchip

GUIDE #1

Guide for non-modded ftp-hd-enabled PS2s with HDLOADER/EXECFTPS..
- NO BURNING WHAT SO EVER!!
- NO NEED FOR MODDED PS2

--- PREPARE

- First get a hard disk which will connect nicely to the PS2 network adaptor.
- Connect the drive to your PC.
- Format the HD with a HDLOADER dump gui tool (no relegious wars which is better)
like WinHIIP, HDL_DUMB, HD Handiness etc..
- Get two old PSX games.

--- GOOGLING, DOWNLOADING

- Get the program CDGENPS2, you can get it anyware (try googling)
- Get the program CDMAGE.. search and thou shall find..
- Get the program execftps (0.68 will do fine) for the PS2
- Get the SYSTEM.CNF and CONFIG.DAT for execftps, see readme
- Change config.dat for correct IP.
- Get the memory exploit from the "PS2 independence" page.
- Configure titles.db for those two old PSX games. (see readmes)

--- CDGENPS2

- Create a new PS2 image using CDGENPS2.
- Drag the SYSTEM.CNF inside the image, and make the LBA 12231
(right mouse click on file, choose edit, uncheck lba checkbox and fill in value)
- Drag the rest of the files (execftps.elf and config.dat) into the image, make the image.

--- IMAGE REPAIR

- Now the image needs to be "repaired" before you can convert it to ISO format.
(why is that, cdgenps guys?)
- Use CDMAGE to repair the bin file from CDGENPS2 if needed.
- Convert the bin to an iso (with ultraiso for example) or bin2iso
- Inject the iso into you hdd with the HDLOADER dump gui tool.

--- AT THE PS2
- Install the hdd into your PS2.
- Run the iso you just injected with HDLOADER.
- Execftps will think it is booted from cdrom (but it is not ofcourse) so hdd support will not work, but memory card will...
- Connect with a FTP client to the PS2.
- HDD will not work so dont even try it!
- Go to the /mc/0/BEDATA-SYSTEM dir (FOR PAL) or and copy your modified TITLES.DB to it
- Rename EXECFTPS.ELF to BOOT.ELF and put it in /mc/0/BEDATA-SYSTEM dir
- Place CONFIG.DAT also in that dir.
- Reboot the PS2 with the first PSX title and voila your FTP enabled with HDD support PS2.
- Reconnect to the PS2 (ftp), choose/click on /hdd/0 and see the names of the partitions.
- To mount those enter the ftp command "SITE MNT /pfs/0/ hdd:(FULL PARTITION NAME) (without brackets)
- The mounted partition will be read/writeable in /pfs/0

GUIDE #2

You'll need:

- A copy of Action Replay Max - EVO edition (Note: It must be the EVO edition that comes with the media player).

- A USB flash drive (The version of Action Replay I bought included a 16mb flash drive. Much more than large enough).

- A copy of HDLoader.elf

1. Insert the flash drive into your PC and copy the hdloader.elf file to it.
2. Insert the flash drive in the USB port of the PS2.
3. Boot up Action Replay.
4. Select the Media Player option from the main menu.
5. It should auto-detect the flash drive and show hdloader.elf as an option.
6. Hit X .
7. HD Loader runs.

GUIDE #3

his short guide should answer the questions a few people seem to be having about how to install the memory-card exploit on an un-modded PS2 using an X-Port/Sharkport cable

I worked a lot of it out by reading around this (excellent) forum and others, but certain steps were trial and error until I found the simplest way to do things

If you think that this has all been covered before in previous threads, feel free to ignore it. Hopefully it'll be of use to somebody...

I have used the X-Port cable but I believe that all steps should be identical for anyone using Sharkport or indeed any other memory-card software

You'll need:
- X-Port (obviously!)
- A PS2 memory card with a reasonable amount of free space on it
- An original PS1 game (not PS2)
- A copy of the MC exploit file which (normally) includes two files you'll be using: BOOT.ELF & HDLOADER.ELF
- Titleman frontend
- PS2 Save Builder

Right, assuming you've got yourself a copy of the MC exploit file from somewhere, extract the two .ELF files that I mentioned above to a new directory which, for the sake of this, I'll call "EXPLOIT"

Connect your PS2 to your PC using X-Port and copy the "Your SystemConfiguration" file from the memory card to your PC

It is worth making a backup of this file before you mess around with it. I can't possibly imagine what damage could be done but a backup is always reassuring. Assuming X-Port is installed to its default directory, the memory card save you just made can be found in the following folder: C:\Program Files\Datel\XPort 2\Savedgames

Now put your PS1 game into the CD-ROM drive on your PC and look at the CD contents
There should be a small file that's called something like SLES_001.19
Make a note of this filename - it is the ID of your game and can often also be found written on the disc or the box

Load Titleman frontend
Click the "Create TITLE.DB" button
In the box (bottom-left) enter the code that you noted down from your PS1 CD
Make sure it has the correct prefix from the drop-down menu and don't forget the "."
Press the "Add Exec" button
Exit Titleman frontend

You should now have a file in your titleman directory called "TITLE.DB"
Copy this file to your EXPLOIT directory (the one you put the two .ELF files in earlier

Load PS2 Save Builder
Click FILE > OPEN and open the X-Port save you created earlier that contained your system configuration
There should be two files listed as being in the save: "history" & "icon.sys"
Click EDIT > ADD FILE
Browse to your EXPLOIT folder and add the three files from that directory to your X-Port save
Your X-port save should now contain the following files:
- BOOT.ELF
- HDLOADER.ELF
- TITLE.DB
- history
- icon.sys
Click FILE > SAVE AS
Save your new X-port file

Load the X-Port program on your PC
Click the IMPORT SAVES button and browse to wherever you put your new X-Port file
Upload this to your memory card, overwriting as necessary

Reset your PS2 with the PS1 disc in the drive and hey presto, HDLoader (or PSMenu) will load up!