PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine elections

vidcc
11-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Just assume the result is correct and the accusations of fraud are baseless...

a lot has been said that relations are going to sour with this elected government in place, many countries are refusing to accept the result.

given that it was a democratic election should other countries, especially those pushing for democracy worldwide, accept the result. they don't have to like the result but should they accept it as the price of democracy.

the reason for asking is with the iraqi elections upon us soon i wonder will the result be accepted if an unfavoured party wins.

edit: could a mod fix the typo in the poll title please.... regognised needs changing to the correct spelling..... thanks:)

edit 2: thanks whoever it was

Biggles
11-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Not sure about this.

By unpopular do you mean that the vote was rigged and the minority candidate won by cheating. By definition the majority vote is the popular choice even if the opposition is unhappy and other countries dislike the policies of the winner. In the former, the result should be shown to be a fraud and overturned (preferably by constitutional means) and in the latter it is none of our business.

TheDave
11-25-2004, 07:21 PM
what happens if the iraqis vote against democracy.

about the thing in ukraine, was it rigged or is there just a lot of sore losers?

Strangelove
11-25-2004, 07:25 PM
There's enough doubt that there is a good possibility of civil war, and that possibility gets closer every day :(

TheDave
11-25-2004, 07:28 PM
maybe it would be good to split as the seems to be a definate border

DanB
11-25-2004, 07:29 PM
what happens if the iraqis vote against democracy.

about the thing in ukraine, was it rigged or is there just a lot of sore losers?

It was rigged :ph34r:

Biggles
11-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Western Ukraine appears to have almost exclusively voted for the EU leaning liberal reformer and the Russian speaking East of the country for the traditional ex-Communist. This is not a good receipe as each side will be convinced they won the election as they are surrounded by people saying "I dunno, I definitely voted for X".

If they resolve this through internal constitutional means it will be for the best. This is not a good time for either Russia or the West to interfere. Neither side should be seen to be supporting one side but rather remain aloof and let the Ukrainian courts deal with it. To be seen to be favouring one side over the other will only inflame matters. A country that size having a civil war does not bear thinking about.

vidcc
11-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Not sure about this.

By unpopular do you mean that the vote was rigged and the minority candidate won by cheating. By definition the majority vote is the popular choice even if the opposition is unhappy and other countries dislike the policies of the winner. In the former, the result should be shown to be a fraud and overturned (preferably by constitutional means) and in the latter it is none of our business.

Just assume the result is correct and the accusations of fraud are baseless... from the original.

by unpopular i mean not the party we want to win...the whole poll being about foriegn governments accepting whoever is elected..

vidcc
11-25-2004, 08:19 PM
about the thing in ukraine, was it rigged or is there just a lot of sore losers?i do wonder if there are any "exclusions" in the candidates for the iraqi elections...if so is it a fair vote.

vidcc
11-25-2004, 08:38 PM
what happens if the iraqis vote against democracy.?
i think the only way they could do that is to boycott the election completely, i haven't heard if there is a minimum turnout to validate elections.
If the elected government decide to stop future elections i guess we will be back in there again.... depending on our view of the government.

Strangelove
11-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Depends...

How will the elections be conducted? (http://www.anywhichway.net/staticpages/index.php/votergate-low)

In Iraq that is.. :P