PDA

View Full Version : Ie6

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 03:45 PM
I have just upgraded to version 6 and now I can't start Internet Explorer at all.

I am using Win XP Pro. There are no other browsers on this PC so no conflict. All I get is a page not found message, something in red about dns. The only other program I have upgraded recently is WMP to version 9

Sorry about the scant details. However any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

hammermaff
03-29-2003, 03:52 PM
have you tried the microsoft site for an update patch........... Not sure if it'll help but it might be worth a try.

The Knife Thrower
03-29-2003, 05:42 PM
Try removing WMP 9 and see what happens. You can do this if you enabled system restore. You did enable system restore, didn't you?

Bender
03-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Nobody else with tips?
He sounds desperate. :unsure:

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 09:25 PM
Thanks for that Bender. After all the help I have offered others (some positive feedback as well) I would have at least hoped for a few suggestions.

Where are the chaps when you need them. Perhaps I posted in the wrong place. Anyway I really am getting desperate now, somone must have some ideas. I have tried the suggestions abopve and everything I can think of. All to no avail.

Maybe someone will pop by later, I can only hope.

Where's Rocktron when you need him.

mrcall1969
03-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by JmiF@29 March 2003 - 22:25
Thanks for that Bender. After all the help I have offered others (some positive feedback as well) I would have at least hoped for a few suggestions.

Where are the chaps when you need them. Perhaps I posted in the wrong place. Anyway I really am getting desperate now, somone must have some ideas. I have tried the suggestions abopve and everything I can think of. All to no avail.

JmiF, Have you tried d'loading the Scottish version of the internet??

It might work.

Lamsey
03-29-2003, 10:14 PM
you :spam: monkey, mrcall... :lol:

@ JmiF: are you blocking IPs using the supertrick, and are you using the most updated version of Internet Explorer? There are a number of cumulative updates for IE6 to resolve bugs, security issues - go to Windows Update (http://www.windowsupdate.com) to see which ones you need.

J'Pol
03-29-2003, 11:09 PM
This is really getting desperate now. I haven't been able to browse the internet for hours.

I have tried all of the suggestions and thanks for that. However no luck so far. If anyone has any ideas I will try anything.

Thanks

ezyryder
03-30-2003, 12:07 AM
are you on broadband with NTL or Telewest? I am having a few ideas because your problem sounds somewhat familiar. Give us a shout soon.

J'Pol
03-30-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ezyryder@30 March 2003 - 01:07
are you on broadband with NTL or Telewest? I am having a few ideas because your problem sounds somewhat familiar. Give us a shout soon.
I am with NTL - like I said any potential solutions are very much appreciated.

Rocktron
03-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@29 March 2003 - 22:25

Right try this.... go to your Control Panel/Network click your TCP/IP network Card (Realtech?) properties, click the DNS Tab and uncheck the DNS option.... (this is how it's configured on my pc)
(i don't know how it works with Win XP though!)

But hey.. who knows.. maybe you need DNS entry's?

Hope it help you some JmiF! :o

To infinity and beyond!

ezyryder
03-30-2003, 08:51 AM
go to tools, internet options. Click on connections and press "lan settings" then add this IP to where it says "use proxy settings" 194.117.133.118 and port 8000

this was my fix for telewest, but I believe poth are very similar so I hope it helps. I have had the exact same problem you see which is why i was happy when you said broadband. If this IP doesn't work I shall try finding one fitting for NTL but anyway, try that first.

ezyryder
03-30-2003, 08:58 AM
there is also a simple thing. when you get a 404 try refreshing the page because sometimes there is a data transfer error. Anyawy, get back to me on the IP deal so I can try other solutions out with you.

ezyryder
03-30-2003, 09:04 AM
yes, Roctron is right the DNS IP has to be static (meaning no IP or anything) However, still attempt the IP configure I told you.

I have a few questions ok just to provoke more thoughts in my head as I WILL fix this for you.

1) Are you on a local-area network (a fe pc's joined at your home)
2) Have you switched what card the modem is connected to recently
3) Have you got more than one network card in your PC
4) Have you swapped the network cable the modem uses recently (I think it has to only be a crossover cable)
5) have you disconnected the coaxol cable from the back of the modem recently.

basically modem and pc wise give me heaps of data, what software and operating system you use is less-likely to be your problem altho it can cause a problem. Try going to "add-remove programs" and repairing IE6, if not then re-install it.

but anyway, like I say get back to me on the IP issue with the modem and I shall try helping you more.

J'Pol
03-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks very much for all the help guys. So far no joy, some of it may be too technical for me.

As I have only got IE6 installed, with no other browser I am totally unable to access the internet. As such I cannot be at this forum to read your suggestions.

I will let you know if I get it running again. It may involve formatting my hard drive, hopefully not, but if that's what it takes then so be it. I hope I still have all of the drivers and software.

Thanks again.

vegeta
03-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by hammermaff@29 March 2003 - 16:52
have you tried the microsoft site for an update patch........... Not sure if it'll help but it might be worth a try.
isnt ur sig extending the size???

ck-uk
03-30-2003, 11:13 AM
al right ,jmi
can't get ntl in me area so i'm stuck on 56k ,so i'm not sure of your setup .but if sone had this problem with 56 i'd say there tcp/ip files r got curupt or lost som how.

but its worth a go !!
in network\controlpanel delete/uninstall evey relatin to tcp/ip and reboot
then go back and install every back and reboot again.

reformatin & installin wins!! arrrrrrrrr!! never!!!!!!! :lol: hav'nt go the patinets

mrcall1969
03-30-2003, 11:19 AM
heehee I smell a wind up.

JmiF, I'd still go for the Scottish Internet plan :D

J'Pol
03-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mrcall1969@30 March 2003 - 12:19
heehee I smell a wind up.

JmiF, I'd still go for the Scottish Internet plan :D
What are you implying.

I have lost all access to the internet and you find it amusing.

Frankly sir I am appalled at your attitude.

I would appreciate helpful replies, not this type of cruel gloating behaviour.

Lamsey
03-30-2003, 12:44 PM
JmiF, are you actually using another computer to post here or are you just taking the slag?

Skweeky
03-30-2003, 12:47 PM
I could not agree more with you JmiF!

mrcall is always making fun of people when they are in need! A few months ago poor Ron was looking for the Dutch internet, and mrcall refused to help him!!

I feel very sorry for you, having NO access to the internet at all!

Lamsey
03-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Maybe the Dutch Internet has gone down because the 'net was overloaded by JmiF posting piss-takes.

mrcall1969
03-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by JmiF+30 March 2003 - 13:40--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 30 March 2003 - 13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--mrcall1969@30 March 2003 - 12:19
heehee&nbsp; I smell a wind up.

JmiF, I&#39;d still go for the Scottish Internet plan&nbsp; :D
What are you implying.

I have lost all access to the internet and you find it amusing.

Frankly sir I am appalled at your attitude.

I would appreciate helpful replies, not this type of cruel gloating behaviour. [/b][/quote]
There is of course another option - smoke signals.

It&#39;s free of charge and as good as email, but shite for viewing web pages and downloading.

mrcall1969
03-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@30 March 2003 - 13:47
I could not agree more with you JmiF&#33;

mrcall is always making fun of people when they are in need&#33; A few months ago poor Ron was looking for the Dutch internet, and mrcall refused to help him&#33;&#33;

I feel very sorry for you, having NO access to the internet at all&#33;
Skweeky, that is hurtfull, I pointed Ron in the direction of the nearest Greengrocers once and he seemed perfectly happy&#33; :D

BTW Has anyone checked Ron&#39;s doorstep for full milk bottles??

dingoBaby
03-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Follow these steps (in no particular order) and you might have some sucess in starting IE6:

Unplug your machine. Try to turn it on.
Phone Bill Gates and threaten litigation.
Take a nap.
Have a stiff drink.
Have another stiff drink.
Compose a letter to the Queen explaining your prediciment. Put the letter in an evelope and insert it into the floppy drive. Take another nap while waiting for the Queen&#39;s response.

If you still are having troubles after completing the above-mentioned steps, all I can say is you are fecked. Please accept my apologies.

J'Pol
03-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by dingoBaby@30 March 2003 - 18:34
Follow these steps (in no particular order) and you might have some sucess in starting IE6:

Take a nap.
Have a stiff drink.
Compose a letter to the Queen explaining your prediciment. Put the letter in an evelope and insert it into the floppy drive. Take another nap while waiting for the Queen&#39;s response.

If you still are having troubles after completing the above-mentioned steps, all I can say is you are fecked. Please accept my apologies.
At last a sensible reply

I have tried what you said, in no particular order and it is working again. I now have access to the internet and can return to browsing.

Cheers unknown stranger.

Lamsey
03-30-2003, 06:10 PM
will you coming back to the forum soon then JmiF? :rolleyes:

dingoBaby
03-31-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by JmiF+30 March 2003 - 13:09--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 30 March 2003 - 13:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dingoBaby@30 March 2003 - 18:34

Take a nap.
Have a stiff drink.
Compose a letter to the Queen explaining your prediciment.&nbsp; Put the letter in an evelope and insert it into the floppy drive.&nbsp; Take another nap while waiting for the Queen&#39;s response.

If you still are having troubles after completing the above-mentioned steps,&nbsp; all I can say is you are fecked.&nbsp; Please accept my apologies.
At last a sensible reply

I have tried what you said, in no particular order and it is working again. I now have access to the internet and can return to browsing.

Cheers unknown stranger.[/b][/quote]
Glad I could be of assistance. Looks like the seven years I spent in university were worth it after all.