PDA

View Full Version : Christmas

Everose
11-26-2004, 02:54 AM
At Christmas time there was a man, who looked so out of place.
As people rushed about him, at a hurried sort
of pace...

He stared at all the Christmas lights,
the tinsel everywhere.
The shopping center Santa Claus with children gathered near.....

The mall was packed with shoppers,
who were going to and fro.
Some with smiles, some with frowns,
and some too tired to go.

They rested on benches,
or they hurried on their way.
To fight the crowds for purchases,
to carry home that day.

The music from the stereo,
was playing loud and clear.
Of Santa Claus and snowmen,
and funny nosed reindeer.

He heard the people talk about,
the good times on the way.
Of parties, fun and food galore,
and gift exchange that day.

I'd like to know what's going on,
the man was heard to say.
There seems to be some sort
of celebration on the way.

And would you tell me who this is,
all dressed in red and white.
And why are children asking "him"
about a special night?

The answer came in disbelief,
I can't believe my ear.
I can't believe you do not know,
that Christmas time is here.

The time when Santa comes around,
with gifts for girls and boys.
When they are asleep on Christmas Eve, he
leaves them books and toys.

The man you see in red and white,
is Santa Claus so sly.
The children love his joyful laugh,
and twinkle in his eye.

His gift packed sleigh is pulled along,
by very small reindeer.
As he flies quickly through the air,
while darting here and there.

The children learn of Santa Claus,
while they are still quite small.
When Christmas comes "he" is the most,
"important" one of all.

The stranger hung His head in shame, He
closed a nail pierced hand.
His body shook in disbelief,
He did not understand.

A shadow crossed His stricken face,
His voice was low but clear.
"After all these years they still don't
know."

And JESUS shed a tear.

zedaxax
11-26-2004, 03:04 AM
Look i understand that your a leetle bit nervous
cauz your worried you wont get all the prezents you want

Tradition is tradition
capitalism is capitalism
religion is religion
politics is politics
but money rules them all

Everose
11-26-2004, 03:11 AM
Look i understand that your a leetle bit nervous
cauz your worried you wont get all the prezents you want

Tradition is tradition
capitalism is capitalism
religion is religion
politics is politics
but money rules them all

Please explain your first sentence?

zedaxax
11-26-2004, 03:13 AM
First Sentence : Look i understand that your a leetle bit nervous

Explanation : cauz your worried you wont get all the prezents you want

ok?:huh:

Everose
11-26-2004, 03:15 AM
What do you see in the poem that would lead you to this conclusion?

Or better yet, what have you seen or known of me that would lead you to this statement.

zedaxax
11-26-2004, 03:29 AM
Before we get too over excited here

Yes the poem is sinically lovely
superbly directed at our guilt for carrying out our tradition which has gone out of consumer whores control
a chip in the shoulder to make another "social" event more painfull - so do you have a solution?
cauze if i dont buy those prezzies which will be forgotten anyhow itll be a bad moment and it aint to often la familia gets together.

In my estranged culture-if youve been a bad boy you get put in a potatoe sack by a colonial impersiantion of an immigrant and whipped with a stick - hence the nervesnous
if your a child of course

Everose
11-26-2004, 03:32 AM
:01:
Before we get too over excited here

Yes the poem is sinically lovely
superbly directed at our guilt for carrying out our tradition which has gone out of consumer whores control
a chip in the shoulder to make another "social" event more painfull - so do you have a solution?
cauze if i dont buy those prezzies which will be forgotten anyhow itll be a bad moment and it aint to often la familia gets together.

In my estranged culture-if youve been a bad boy you get put in a potatoe sack by a colonial impersiantion of an immigrant and whipped with a stick - hence the nervesnous

Not to worry about the over excited. I understand your response now that you have given me your perception. Thanks for responding. :)

Sorry, Zed, at first I missed your question. I guess it is for everyone to find their own solution, is it not? I would have no way of knowing what would work for you in your culture. I never worried about being put in a patatoe sack and whipped with a stick. :( I never expected presents, but am always surprised and thankful when receiving them.

zedaxax
11-26-2004, 03:34 AM
i prefer summer time

Jon L. Obscene
11-26-2004, 12:13 PM

:unsure: You live in Chelsea? :helpsmili

Lucky they can afford potatoe sacks, we just get shit sacks :(

@Rose....Nice poem, liked it all the way upto the end, could have done with some entrances from Bugs bunny or something cos it was really cheerful til the end :(
Cool tho, I like rhyming :01:

Jonno :cool:

Biggles
11-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Christmas is a strange time. It is many things to many people. The ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on the 25th December and for the Pagan peoples of Northern Europe it was also a celebration of life and the rebirth of the sun. Hence the Santa figure dressed as a Shaman with his reindeer and the symbols of the Pagan solstice - Yule logs, Holly, Mistletoe and circular wreaths of winter greenery.

There is one common thread running through all of these and that is the hope inherent in new life. Horus was the symbol good prevailing over evil, the reborn sun the symbol of life to come. The early Church chose the winter solstice to celebrate the birth of Christ because it was rich in exactly the kind of symbolism that they wanted his birth to convey. They simply presented their choice as a promise fulfilled. The Pagan past, far from being a problem, foretold this coming. The Pagan elements, gifts and celebrations in themselves do not detract but rather enrich this message. To try and strip them out (as some would like to) is to totally fail to understand why this time was chosen in the first place.

Alas, the rampant consumerism of today masks and blurs all. This is, however, rather a new phenomenon - even in my childhood it was far less prevelant than it is now. I hope, however, that it is simply a passing phase. It is possible to really really enjoy this time of year without going completely crazy with a bit of plastic. (Least that is what I am telling the kids :) )

So the message is simple, Hope - she who also came with Pandora's box.

Biggles
11-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Feck sake, the Christmas threads start earlier very year. It's not even December.

:lol: :lol:

Jon L. Obscene
11-26-2004, 05:03 PM
You're weird............nearly as weird as me :shifty:

Mathea
11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
You're weird............nearly as weird as me :shifty:

i didnt know that was possible

TheDave
11-26-2004, 05:10 PM
father christmas is green :angry:

Lilmiss
11-26-2004, 05:13 PM

:no:
Thats the hulk.....or the grinch.

Santa looks strangely like my Dad.
Even has the same shoes. :unsure:

TheDave
11-26-2004, 05:15 PM
he was green till coca-cola came along :unsure:

Biggles
11-26-2004, 05:16 PM

:lol: This is the case. Many of the early depictions of Father Christmas show a long green robe with fur. The red top and trousers is largely a Coca Cola invention - see Drawing Room for abominations of capitalism comment.

Why is JPaul almost as weird as Jonno? :huh:

Mathea
11-26-2004, 05:18 PM
well imo to each their own..... but the poem was not my cup of tea

I thik thats theres 2 christmases... the religious one for believers, and the consumer one for the rest. The household I grew up in wasnt religious, but we did celebrate Christmas in the trees decorations and presents sense of it all....

Everose
11-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Christmas is a strange time. It is many things to many people. The ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on the 25th December and for the Pagan peoples of Northern Europe it was also a celebration of life and the rebirth of the sun. Hence the Santa figure dressed as a Shaman with his reindeer and the symbols of the Pagan solstice - Yule logs, Holly, Mistletoe and circular wreaths of winter greenery.

There is one common thread running through all of these and that is the hope inherent in new life. Horus was the symbol good prevailing over evil, the reborn sun the symbol of life to come. The early Church chose the winter solstice to celebrate the birth of Christ because it was rich in exactly the kind of symbolism that they wanted his birth to convey. They simply presented their choice as a promise fulfilled. The Pagan past, far from being a problem, foretold this coming. The Pagan elements, gifts and celebrations in themselves do not detract but rather enrich this message. To try and strip them out (as some would like to) is to totally fail to understand why this time was chosen in the first place.

Alas, the rampant consumerism of today masks and blurs all. This is, however, rather a new phenomenon - even in my childhood it was far less prevelant than it is now. I hope, however, that it is simply a passing phase. It is possible to really really enjoy this time of year without going completely crazy with a bit of plastic. (Least that is what I am telling the kids :) )

So the message is simple, Hope - she who also came with Pandora's box.

Biggles, it is the 'rampart consumerism' that concerns me. I posted this same poem last year and received totally different responses. It is interesting for me to see the different responses, viewpoints on it.

In the United States, today is the biggest shopping day of the year. I know that it has to put unbelievable financial strain on a lot of families, often lasting throughout the year. I, too, hope it is a passing phase.

All I can really do myself is try to stay out of the shops this time of year, and start traditions within my own family that do not put this financial pressure on my own children and theirs, and uphold the traditional meaning of the Christian Christmas.

When I think back on my childhood, I cannot remember much of presents I received for Christmas. I know many years they were probably very minimal and items of necessity. I do remember the excitement of being with extended famiily, the traditional Christmas Eve and Midnight Masses very vividly though.

Lilmiss
11-26-2004, 05:21 PM
he was green till coca-cola came along :unsure:

Ahhhh...you mean he wore green clothes.
I was beginning to think, he had to travel from Mars every year. :unsure:

Biggles
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Ahhhh...you mean he wore green clothes.
I was beginning to think, he had to travel from Mars every year. :unsure:

Even if he did, Santa is magic and this would not present a problem.

:unsure:

In fact he probably moved there to get away from tele-sales people.

Lilmiss
11-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Even if he did, Santa is magic and this would not present a problem.

Santa is my secret admirer.
I get underwear and chocolate off him every year. :blushing:

Biggles
11-26-2004, 05:41 PM
JPaul

Good link, very succinct.

TheDave
11-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Snopes has this to say about Coca Cola (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp)
well that pooned me :rolleyes:

zedaxax
11-26-2004, 09:28 PM
By yourself a present today
and make your inner materialist happy

SpatulaGeekGirl
11-26-2004, 10:47 PM
At Christmas time there was a man, who looked so out of place...(etc.)...And JESUS shed a tear.
I just feel a bit sorry for you, seeming so miserable and all. Celebrate Christmas the way you like and put a big smile on your face. :)

*singing* Don't worry, be happy! :angel1: