PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Case Mod

Afronaut
11-28-2004, 06:54 PM
I saw this on slashdot.

I dont usually care about case-modding but damn this has some Details:

http://members.home.nl/gis/blackmesa159.jpg

It probably took more than a week from start to finish too...

:)

atiVidia
11-28-2004, 07:10 PM
i saw that one over a week ago but its still cool :)

kaiweiler
11-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Someone call the repost police!
Nah it's still cool.

Mr. Elmo
11-28-2004, 07:26 PM
it might be cool...but i def. wouldnt that showing in my living room...or any room for that matter. i like the doom3 mod a lot better

kaiweiler
11-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah I think teir cool, but definately not something I would want.
What do you do when you get sick of that particular game?
Just seems a little odd to me to design an entire computer around a single game.

Afronaut
11-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Yeah I think teir cool, but definately not something I would want.
What do you do when you get sick of that particular game?
Just seems a little odd to me to design an entire computer around a single game.
Valve called the guy, he ended up making a special box for them too.

Apparently it seems like a hobby for him, maybe even more.

But I wouldnt makea Mod for some game at all,
it would have to be more personal, unique somehow.

I didnt know this was a repost, sorry about that.

clocker
11-28-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of the rust look.
Intentionally making your work look like crap is an approach that escapes me.

Afronaut
11-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Well, i thought it was impressive.
But then again, I dont follow up the Case-Modding scene at all...

I can imagine his Wife or Mother trying to clean yp the dirt out of the box thought...

:D

atiVidia
11-29-2004, 12:26 AM
the doom3 mod...

...you mean this one (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802808)?

Mr. Elmo
11-29-2004, 06:11 AM
the doom3 mod...

...you mean this one (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802808)?

the doom3 mod...

...yes i meant that one

3RA1N1AC
11-29-2004, 06:28 AM
okay, the HL2 case is ugly, but at least it sorta captures the rusty, industrial look of HL. or the rusty, industrial look of Quake and Quake 2. and Quake 3, come to think of it. man, those games sure have a lot of rusty metal crates in them.

but the Doom 3 case wins the Ugly Case Pageant, hands down. the Doom 3 case looks like somebody stomped all over a coffee maker and some Star Wars toys, then dipped the pieces in glue and threw 'em at a computer. it's schizophrenic. Star Wars? coffee maker? Star Wars? coffee maker? Doom 3? uh... wait... which part of the case resembles anything you might've seen in Doom 3? the waste of a perfectly good mini-LCD screen?

sometimes i like to google for the name of a game or tv show or movie or whatever, PLUS a descriptive word, to see if anyone's written a review that uses the same word that i would've used to describe the thing in question. for instance: "ABC + The Bachelor + harem + degrading." here's something i stumbled across while googling for "Doom 3 + Half-Life 2 + soulless":

"Are you going to be this excited about Half-Life 2?" I asked him as we headed for the door.

"Fuck Half-Life 2."

We stood by the front door. Just the two of us. We must have looked like we were on a smoke break, minus the cigarettes. Trevor surveyed people coming in from the parking lot. Every now and then, he'd say something like 'I bet that guy's going to get in line' or 'Here comes one'. But no one else got in line.

"Hey, dude, over here," he said, waving his arms to a guy in a Sci Fi Channel T-shirt. The guy looked around to see who Trevor was talking to. "Yeah, you. It's over here. This is the line for Doom 3. We're first, so you're right behind us."

"I'm just here to get a printer cartridge."

"Oh, okay. But if you want, they're selling Doom 3 at 12:01am. You're behind us if you're going to get in line."

Thirty minutes later, Trevor decided we needed to make a Starbucks run. "One of us needs to hold our place in line. Do you want to go, or should I?" The Starbucks was right at the corner. I could see it from where we stood.

"I'll go. What do you want?"

When I came back, there were two more people with Trevor.

"Hey, the line is behind us," Trevor told me with mock indignation. "No cutting!"

"Here's your java chip frappucino."

"Heh, I was just kidding. He's with me," Trevor told the other people, "and I was saving his place."
the moral of the story: if you are a rube who likes to stand in line for midnight sales, make sure to let people know that you're a rube by yelling "hey, over here, dude!" to anyone who passes by. then when you've got their attention? you can tell them all about the ugly __________-themed case-mod that you made.

cpt_azad
11-29-2004, 08:55 AM
the doom3 mod...

...yes i meant that one
lol

Mr. Elmo
11-30-2004, 06:54 AM
lol
hehe....didnt see the point of his post

anyways...i dont thinkt he doom3 mod is good looking, its just find it a lot cooler (i feel like such a nerd for saying that) than the hl2 mod. i just like it uses feature in the game to inspire the mod itself...oh, and the lcd screen helps place it above this mod imo