PDA

View Full Version : Remove Recycle Bin from Desktop??

mattesca
11-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Can you remove your recycle bin from your desktop? If so, how?

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Yes.

First create a shortcut to the Recycle Bin to the root of C: so that you can still have access.

Start>Run>type gpedit.msc
User Configuration
- Administrative Templates
-+Desktop
"Remove Recycle Bin icon from desktop"
Set to Enable - Reboot Required.

tesco
11-30-2004, 12:36 AM
or if you are removing all icons from the desktop then an easier way to remove it is by right clicking th desktop>arrange icons>uncheck "show icons"
but that's only if you dont want the other icons on your desktop.

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 12:49 AM
or if you are removing all icons from the desktop then an easier way to remove it is by right clicking th desktop>arrange icons>uncheck "show icons"
but that's only if you dont want the other icons on your desktop.
But if you do it that way then your desktop image gets blurred.

h121589
11-30-2004, 12:59 AM
this is wut i do i created a folder on my desktop and i orginized the one folder and put all my icons and files in that one folder and i also have the recycle bin on my desktop so i have 2 icons on my desktop

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 01:09 AM
I have no icons on my desktop.

I think the desktop is the worst place for access to my things. If you have anything open, you need to minimize them to get to the desktop icons.

I use the Quick Launch toolbar and keep it squeezed to the left of the taskbar. If you add lots of links to that toolbar then you'll see a small arrow at the right of the Quick Launch. Click to access all your stuff easily.

tesco
11-30-2004, 01:17 AM
But if you do it that way then your desktop image gets blurred.
no it doesn't. :blink:

backlash
11-30-2004, 02:04 AM

I think the desktop is the worst place for access to my things. If you have anything open, you need to minimize them to get to the desktop icons.

I use the Quick Launch toolbar and keep it squeezed to the left of the taskbar. If you add lots of links to that toolbar then you'll see a small arrow at the right of the Quick Launch. Click to access all your stuff easily.

I have no icons on my desktop (except the recycle bin ;)) either. I like a nice clean space. I use quick launch too, but I don't like the arrow so I minimize the icons to the programs I use most. I also use the xp start menu to keep icons I access most pinned. :01:

bigdawgfoxx
11-30-2004, 02:49 AM

I do this, except I have Icons on my desktop that go with it...my newest music downloads are on my desktop for easy finding.

SuperScript
11-30-2004, 03:01 AM
You can easily do it in TweakUI.

h121589
11-30-2004, 03:27 AM
yuh i also use quick launch

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 03:35 AM
no it doesn't. :blink:
Yes it does. Try a very clear picture as your desktop and look at both modes. You'll see what I mean. Try the Windows XP at the bottom of the list and look at the white lettering on the blue background in both modes. You'll see the blurriness.

musicmaster
11-30-2004, 04:06 AM

I used to think you needed to minimize your windows to access your desktop, but thats the beauty of the "show desktop" button in quicklaunch. And, if you are using a tabbed browsing browser, then you really only have to minimize one window if you want to look at the desktop.

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 04:12 AM
I used to think you needed to minimize your windows to access your desktop, but thats the beauty of the "show desktop" button in quicklaunch. And, if you are using a tabbed browsing browser, then you really only have to minimize one window if you want to look at the desktop.
I know about all that. I just prefer to do it the way I described.

musicmaster
11-30-2004, 04:20 AM
I know... just thought I would post whore a bit and put in my 2cents :P

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 04:33 AM
Ok. Need any change?

Skiz
11-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Yes it does. Try a very clear picture as your desktop and look at both modes. You'll see what I mean. Try the Windows XP at the bottom of the list and look at the white lettering on the blue background in both modes. You'll see the blurriness.
Haven't tried that but, I haven't noticed mine blurring either.

Skiz
12-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Yes.

First create a shortcut to the Recycle Bin to the root of C: so that you can still have access.

Start>Run>type gpedit.msc
User Configuration
- Administrative Templates
-+Desktop
"Remove Recycle Bin icon from desktop"
Set to Enable - Reboot Required.

"Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

Now what?

tesco
12-02-2004, 01:06 PM
"Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

Now what?
because you need XP PRO ...home doesn't have gpedit.msc. :P

Skiz
12-02-2004, 08:25 PM
because you need XP PRO ...home doesn't have gpedit.msc. :P
:frusty:

But I love to use my desktop as place to store all my temporary stuff. The pictures you only need for five minutes, or a program you want to access quickly. I hate having to change the desktop setttings to do so. I'vebeen trying to save the stuff under My Documents but then I forget to delete it all and looks messy.