PDA

View Full Version : noises from my tower

Bebi
11-30-2004, 04:46 AM
hi

noises are coming form my tower, they varie from high pitched to almost silent and change in frequency, changing my monitor refresh rate does nothing, its not my speakers and this only started happening, is my cpu ready to go? it seems when I open big gaming programs it gets worse:helpsmili

edit: also when I move the tower around it goes away for awhile then comes back

zapjb
11-30-2004, 04:55 AM
Fan(s) or HDD going bad.

Bebi
11-30-2004, 05:02 AM
if its the hard drive any idea what could of caused it or any idea to fix it?

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 05:02 AM
Most likely a fan.

Acecool
11-30-2004, 05:22 AM
Most likely your power supply.

Mine did that, then a few days later a blue flash came out of my computer (my new one), then it died...

Put my old 350 in there, and it worked again lol...

Bebi
11-30-2004, 07:34 AM
I put a tape under it to straigthen up the tower and it tok the noise out it for 30 mins but it came back in gradually but its alot fainter and more high pitched but its bearable

clocker
11-30-2004, 12:28 PM
hi

noises are coming form my tower, they varie from high pitched to almost silent and change in frequency, changing my monitor refresh rate does nothing
I find that hard to believe.
Normally, changing the refresh rate will solve almost any issue-from corrupted Windows files to poor OCing results, the ole "change the refresh rate" trick has always worked for me.

Seriously dude...it's a fan.
Prolly the PSU, but possibly the northbridge (if your board HAS one).

I love the refresh rate concept though....gonna lay that one on a customer ASAP.

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Ok. Since you don't seem dareing enough...

It's time to open the case. :fear:

While it's making the noise, try to pinpoint where it's coming from.

clocker
11-30-2004, 01:15 PM

Oh you Canadians....always with the radical approaches.

Bebi, just ignore him till you have exhausted the possibilities of chanting and healing crystals...

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 02:10 PM
:sorcerer: Chant, Chant, Chant... :sorcerer:

Smurfette
11-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Ok. Since you don't seem dareing enough...

While it's making the noise, try to pinpoint where it's coming from.
If you can't pinpoint the exact source of the noise, get a piece of tubing or hose and hold one end to your ear while you place the other in various areas of the computer's guts. :)

lynx
11-30-2004, 04:32 PM
If you can't pinpoint the exact source of the noise, get a piece of tubing or hose and hold one end to your ear while you place the other in various areas of the computer's guts. :)This could be interesting.

One ear blocked by a piece of tubing, the other ear mangled by high speed fans.

I'd just like to point out that all posts are the opinion of the user and this board accepts no responsibility for damage or injury resulting from following this advice. :whistling

vivitron 15
11-30-2004, 05:21 PM
oh my god - this is the funniest thread i have ever, and i mean ever read - physically LOL here...

Bebi
11-30-2004, 05:24 PM
im a clumsy bastard when it comes to hardware so ill let my know-it all computer friend do it for me:01:he said he got the same thing and his northbridge fan went so it is problly the fan, I blame you ALL!:whistling

Virtualbody1234
11-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Chicken! :lol:

J/k.

It's only a few screws and a quick look.

Gripper
11-30-2004, 07:54 PM
:DI,ve found banging mine tends to shut it up for a while:DAlso checking all screws are tight(mmm tight screws) sorry.
I'd go with the fan as being the probable cause to!

tesco
11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
my sister's computer (my old computer) is really loud when you first start it up and sometimes while you're usoing it too.
i pinpointed it to the heatink fan but it uses like a 40mm fan or something and i dont have one that size to replace it. :(

probably a fan for you too.

Tifosi
11-30-2004, 09:02 PM
:DI,ve found banging mine tends to shut it up for a while:D

Raping a PC is probably gonna break the law in some countries ;)

orcutt989
11-30-2004, 09:19 PM
I find that hard to believe.
Normally, changing the refresh rate will solve almost any issue-from corrupted Windows files to poor OCing results, the ole "change the refresh rate" trick has always worked for me.

Seriously dude...it's a fan.
Prolly the PSU, but possibly the northbridge (if your board HAS one).

I love the refresh rate concept though....gonna lay that one on a customer ASAP.
I almost took you seriously, but then I realized you were making a funny.

Tea and Crumpets!

clocker
12-01-2004, 12:17 AM
I almost took you seriously, but then I realized you were making a funny.

Moi?

Nah.