PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Xp Vs. Win98

Nightwolf
03-29-2003, 11:12 PM
I've been using 98 for many years now, and for the most part I'm happy with it. Recently, however, I've been having some minor problems, such as occasional Kernel32 errors and Blue Screens of Death. I've been considering upgrading to XP because it's supposed to be more stable and slightly fasten than 98. My biggest concern about upgrading is compatibility issues. I have hundreds of games, some of which are DOS-only and I'm affraid they won't work in XP, not to mention my scanner, printer, Dazzle, etc. I would like to hear some honest opinions from users who've experienced both operating systems.

ooo
03-29-2003, 11:17 PM
i like my windows 98se? lol....

slammy_dunken
03-29-2003, 11:17 PM
I dunno about the DOS games, but XP is quite good. If ur afraid of compatability issues, XP has a compatability mode, which makes the programs think its running in an older OS instead of XP. I;m using Server 2003 right now, and it's not that bad for a beta.

Los
03-29-2003, 11:36 PM
You can also scan your computer to see which software/hardware will not be compatible if you upgrade to Windows XP.

System requirements for Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eva...ion/sysreqs.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.asp)

To find out compatibility issues download the following and scan computer:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...N-US/UpgAdv.exe (http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Utility/1.0/WXP/EN-US/UpgAdv.exe)
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp)

Windows 98 vs. Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/eva...ide/default.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/sidebyside/default.asp)

Hope this helps...I upgraded and XP is way better. Plus you will have to do it sooner or later.

-Los :nuke:

ezyryder
03-29-2003, 11:39 PM
I quite like my XP i've never seen "the blue screen of death"

the-ninja69
03-29-2003, 11:40 PM
I would definatel upgrade to XP. It is faster more stylish and very good with compatilbilty issues. All u need to do is find the correct frivers for all your harware and you should be fine. Doesnt work in all cases but most of the time everything works out fine.

Ive only had 1 prob with XP. Ever since i got it my geforce 4 mx is f*cked up. The screen just goes black all of sudden I have the latest drivers so i dont know what the problem is.

But overall i think XP would your best bet. :D

zapjb
03-30-2003, 12:17 AM
I'm a tweaker. Tweak, tweak, tweak. With 98SE BSOD once every 2wks. With XP Pro once every 4-6 months. Also Xp is much, much faster. That's my experience. :)

Nightwolf
03-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies! You guys almost have me convinced.

Anyone else....

(I was expecting more XP horror stories.)

Los
03-30-2003, 01:18 AM
just wondering if you scanned your computer yet to find out the compatibility issues??? if you have and no real big problems then i dont know what you're waiting for!! :D

ClubDiggler
03-30-2003, 01:19 AM
I have win 98 and it runs pretty good now!

I've had problems with all the stuff I put in it before; but after a lot
of trweaking I finally got it running very smooth so I don't think of
upgrading. No way Jose!!! B) ;)

RPerry
03-30-2003, 01:20 AM
I'm still running 98SE, but don't seem to have the BSOD problems everyone else seems to have. I have my pc running constantly, and only average once a month. I have been toying with the idea od going to XP, I have used it on others machines, I'm just a little concerned with the driver problems I'm sure to have. I'm already sure that my favorite music burning program (Iomega) won't work on xp. Duel boot seems to be the way for me to go, but I really don't have any true gripes about XP

Los
03-30-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by RPerry@29 March 2003 - 20:20
I'm still running 98SE, but don't seem to have the BSOD problems everyone else seems to have. I have my pc running constantly, and only average once a month. I have been toying with the idea od going to XP, I have used it on others machines, I'm just a little concerned with the driver problems I'm sure to have. I'm already sure that my favorite music burning program (Iomega) won't work on xp. Duel boot seems to be the way for me to go, but I really don't have any true gripes about XP
scan your computer to see the hardware issues, then you will really know the driver problems...

Los
03-30-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by ClubDiggler@29 March 2003 - 20:19
I have win 98 and it runs pretty good now!

I've had problems with all the stuff I put in it before; but after a lot
of trweaking I finally got it running very smooth so I don't think of
upgrading. No way Jose!!! B) ;)
you will have to update sooner or later because most programs/hardware will be made to work on the newer operating systems. i dont know if you know this but office 2003 will only run on XP and 2000 SP3...

Nightwolf
03-30-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Los@29 March 2003 - 20:18
just wondering if you scanned your computer yet to find out the compatibility issues??? if you have and no real big problems then i dont know what you're waiting for!! :D

Yes, I ran that a while ago and it found several hardware issues that "might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP". The problems are my Dazzle Video Capture device, Gravis gamepad, Plustek scanner, Zio smartmedia reader, and HP printer. There may be a few minor software issues as well. I'm sure I can get most if not all of those things to work, but the question remains - is it all worth it? What about all the supposed bugs? And what about old DOS games? I'm sure I'll never play DOOM again, but I just like having it installed and working in case I ever need a dose of nostalgia.

Los
03-30-2003, 02:41 AM
i dont know what to tell you about the nostalgia to old games like doom, but i guess you'll learn to deal.

what i can tell you is that every system has its bugs including WIN 98! wether 98 gives YOU problems or not it gives other people! why? because of bugs! some affect you and some dont! i've had win xp and no problems at all! but you saw that other people said they have had problems! ms has already released 1 service pack and number 2 is on its way... right now its on its beta phase so a couple more months and its out. but thats it thats all i can say...

rr_kingozz
03-30-2003, 05:05 AM
I was running Win ME. It would crash about 2-3 times a night. I have just recently upgraded to a for educational-purposes only copy of XP Corp. I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use Win ME again. XP is rock solid and hasn't crashed on me yet, and I only did an upgrade install. I will be doing a clean install soon now that I have created a bootable for educational-purposes only XP copy. The Windows NT platform is unbelievably stable.............. the more you play with XP,........ the more you will be convinced. You might as well jump aboard !!!!!!!

the-ninja69
03-30-2003, 05:59 AM
Yes im using XP Pro corp too. That is the way to go.

Windows ME is horrible, nothing but complaints about it if u dont like XP get win2k thats second best i think.

Win2k is very stable and works well. Never had any problems with it.

Los
03-30-2003, 06:02 AM
i have both Win XP and Win 2000. I love both no problems with either...both very stable for me. However when using Win 2000 i miss the XP interface which i love!