PDA

View Full Version : (S)VCD or DVD?

Storm
12-01-2004, 02:46 PM
ive got a movie that a friend of mine really wants to play in her DVD player........

now i can either burn it as VCD, SVCD or DVD......

my question is, whats best to use?

the movie is a 705 MB .avi

video: resolution is 592x320, 23 fps, data rate 110 kbps, video sample size 12 bit, XVID compression

audio: 131 kbps, audio format: Lame MP3, duration 1:48:44

i havent made any of these formats before (n00b alert!!!!)........ i am downloading Tmpgenc plus v 2.57.41.146 (2002) right now..........

if its easy, id like to make a DVD (though i dont know if i can with DVD+r ), so ill prolly end up with (S)VCD, but then my question still is: whats best to go with? cause the resolution doesnt fit either standard

AndrewBarker
12-01-2004, 03:01 PM
DVD is better all round

TmpGenc settings
source Aspect ratio - 1:1 (VGA)
Video Arrange Method - Full screen (keep aspect ratio)

:)

Ariel_001
12-01-2004, 03:05 PM
ive got a movie that a friend of mine really wants to play in her DVD player........

now i can either burn it as VCD, SVCD or DVD......

my question is, whats best to use?

the movie is a 705 MB .avi

video: resolution is 592x320, 23 fps, data rate 110 kbps, video sample size 12 bit, XVID compression

audio: 131 kbps, audio format: Lame MP3, duration 1:48:44

i havent made any of these formats before (n00b alert!!!!)........ i am downloading Tmpgenc plus v 2.57.41.146 (2002) right now..........

if its easy, id like to make a DVD (though i dont know if i can with DVD+r ), so ill prolly end up with (S)VCD, but then my question still is: whats best to go with? cause the resolution doesnt fit either standard

Do you have a DVD writter? If so go with DVD. If not then
(S)VCD ..

Storm
12-01-2004, 03:09 PM
DVD is better all round

TmpGenc settings
source Aspect ratio - 1:1 (VGA)
Video Arrange Method - Full screen (keep aspect ratio)

:)

okay, and Nero tells me it needs vob files and such, how do i get those out of the avi? or will TmpGenc do that?

Do you have a DVD writter? If so go with DVD. If not then
(S)VCD ..

yeah, i only have DVD+R lying around, will DVD players read those?

AndrewBarker
12-01-2004, 03:57 PM
you need to download TMPGenc DVD Author

when TMPGenc plus has finished its work, fire-up TMPGenc DVD Author, this creates your VOB files and Nero will be happy :)

Oh and yes DVD players will probably be OK with DVD+R, although I prefer to use DVD-R

lightshow
12-01-2004, 11:26 PM
The thing about DVD-R vs. DVD+R is older dvd players only like DVD-R. Newer ones will read either one just fine.

Storm
12-02-2004, 04:37 AM
well i reencoded the avi to mpg (damn dvd author cant take avi for dvds, but now the sound is gone :(

i have to burn this in a couple of minuits........ how do i fix this? or should i just go with (S)VCD?

whiterook-2
12-02-2004, 09:07 AM
This was quoted to me.....

if the file has ac3 audio in it, you will want to use tmpeg express 3

to make avi to dvd ya need conversion tools, tmpeg 2.5, tmpeg express 3
when ac3 audio is involved, virtual dub to extract wav files with, tmpeg to blend and make mpeg, then to nero for burn.

you can easily ectract pertinent files (audio) with proggies like dvd shrink

harrycary
12-04-2004, 01:13 AM
well, after scrolling through all the comments, no
one seemed to notice that the original file size is
a mere 705Mb!

DVD quality video is impossible to create from the
source material.

it's inane to waste the effort and/or money burning
any sort of a DVD.

a VCD or SVCD will be the best you can get in the end.

/my .02¢

AndrewBarker
12-04-2004, 11:17 PM
with the price of DVDR's so cheap I wouldnt have considered price a problem

Most standard DVDRip avi's are of very high quality, and are well worth transcoding to DVD format, Its obvious you are not going to get actual DVD quality, but its not that far off

orcutt989
12-04-2004, 11:18 PM
What blank meda format will a PS2 read?

keyser_soze
12-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Why don't u just use nerovision express to do all the job for u if you have nero? I know its not the best for the job but IMO the easiest and after all your not gonna get the same quality as a shop bought original dvd anyway and a lot of the quality will depend on how the avi was made in the first place, if the avi is'nt very good quality neither will the finished dvd be, tempgenc is an excellent encoder but quite tricky to set up right and does have problem with sound, it sounds to me that when u encoded the avi to mpeg that u may have made the wrong output files or not encoded the sound as these are set up seperate, I don't think there is much difference in a finished svcd and dvd anyway there about on a par quality wise. A easy prog u could use if u don't have nero is cucusofts http://www.avi-vcd.com/ which keeps things simple.

What blank meda format will a PS2 read? Theres been debate in here but nothing cast in stone but I've never got anything to work other than dvd-r and svcd.

RealitY
12-05-2004, 03:10 AM
The most n00b friendly app Ive ever tried and can do an avi to vob in about an hour...
DivxToDVD_setup.exe (http://www.sharemation.com/realitysponge/DivxToDVD_setup.exe?unq=-vwaroo)

http://www.vso-software.fr/

FinalTheorem
12-05-2004, 11:52 PM
I would just burn the VCD since the picture quality is going to be the same, and CD's are cheaper. It would probably be a little easier too.