PDA

View Full Version : prob on my mom's comp

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 04:50 AM
hi, once again my mom comp is having issues. I tried to pluged a 9600 into here comp and it would not boot up anymore. I have disable the pci card (not uninstall, just disable) and nothing shows up on the monitor when i plugged in the 9600. then it hit me that i might have to change the video option in the bios to agp...so i pluged my pci back in and went into the bios and change the setting to agp. rebooted, took out pci card, plug in agp card....nothing happens. comp power up, nothing on the screen. after 15min of not working...i tried plugging the pci back in....still nothing on the screen. i've tried reseting the cmos bat in hope of something would help...nothing.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

S!X
12-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Reformat, my friend had the exact same problem with the exact same video card..

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 05:09 AM
cant exactly reformat if it dont boot up. basically, i press power button...comp turns on...screen is black. im pretty sure the comp isnt "on" because its hooked up on a network and when i try to connect to my mom's comp using mine, it says the network place is not accesible.

so basically, it power on, but its not technically working. Im guessing it might be some ram issues as this has happen b4, and i switch the rams to different slot and it magically worked again (after 4 fucking days dealing with it) but this time, i've tried switching the rams, using my ram and it still wouldnt work.

you think that a fucking video card setting in the bios wouldnt cause this much problem.

Samurai
12-02-2004, 05:10 AM
have you tried putting in your old graphics card, if you have one?

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 05:13 AM
yea...i was using a mx440 b4 i tried putting in a 9600. that didnt work so i put the mx440 back in...but that didnt work so i thought the mx440 might have gotten faulty (somehow) so i put in another pci card...mx4000. neither have worked. but if its the graphic card issue, the comp would still be on and i would be able to access the drive on "my network place", i just wouldnt be able to see anything on the monitor...which is not the case, i cant see anything, cant access anything through the network :(

maybe its time for a new mobo...just dont get how chaning one vid card setting could fuck it up so bad. might bring it to school tomorrow to have my teacher have a look at it....he teaches A++ course after all. but hoping you guys can solve my problem so i dont have to drag my tower to school

S!X
12-02-2004, 05:21 AM
By rights u should see the bios and that shit at start up and boot off the xp disk and reformat

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 05:26 AM
lol........if i can see the bios...i wouldnt be posting on here

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 06:07 AM
can anyone give me a confirmation on whether or not if i'm right about the mobo being faulty? I know the cpu works as eveyrthing gets power , i know the ram works as it work in my comp, i know the vid card work because it work in my comp, that leaves Hdd and mobo.

im pretty sure it isnt the hdd as i hear/feel the hdd power up. even if hdd was faulty, i would be able to get to the bios. that leaves me with the mobo. is it possible that the mobo ram slot isnt functioning properly?

I dont want to order a motherboard on newegg if it isnt going to help...come on you expert, where are you at clocker, bigdaw, rossco, virtual.....WAKE UP AND HELP ME

Smurfette
12-02-2004, 07:09 AM
do you hear any beeps?

Voetsek
12-02-2004, 07:36 AM
see this

ht*p://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155340

peat moss
12-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Had the same problem , mine was easy, the monitor was'nt plugged in all the way! :blushing:

TheDave
12-02-2004, 12:09 PM
could it be a weak power supply?

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 01:30 PM
do you hear any beeps?
i threw out my internal speakers ....heheh...have to find a new one

although the psu was making a weird noise for a second after this had happened, it stop making the noise and seems to be fine.

Virtualbody1234
12-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Disconnect everything.

Leave only the power supply, mobo, CPU, RAM (only 1 known good stick).

Boot up. Do you hear beeps to warn that there's no video card?

Power down, insert video card and try booting.

If that doesn't work then try another power supply. Then it comes down to the mobo.

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 10:35 PM
took out my 512 stick of ram and put it in there, no beep. took (as in teacher gave it to me)a internal speaker from my teacher and put it in...didnt pass POST. *sigh* new mobo, here i come.

Virtualbody1234
12-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Have you tried another power supply?

With only the mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card?

Try resetting the BIOS when you have only those parts.

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 11:26 PM
no i havent tried another psu. i thought it wouldnt be the psu fault. it did power up, fans work, lights work, just not post. i'm pretty sure its the mobo because my sister had the system on when i was at school, came back, and she asked why it doesnt work, told her and i open up the case, and the ram was not even warm. so i came to the conclusion that it was the mobo's fault..ill try a psu now

Virtualbody1234
12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Don't forget to reset the BIOS.

Mr. Elmo
12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
have that reseted when i installed the psu.....and *drum rolls*

it still doesnt work :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

HCT
12-03-2004, 05:35 AM
check the processor. ihad the same problem in my old comp i thought that it was the graphics card and i change it and still had the same problem then i switch the processor and it worked

Mr. Elmo
12-03-2004, 06:15 AM
it cant be the processor as everything gets powered up and running (with the exception of the ram of course) can it?

Smurfette
12-03-2004, 07:05 AM
If it was the RAM gfx or the CPU then you'd get beeps, so you're left with either mobo or PSU.

HCT
12-03-2004, 12:29 PM
it cant be the processor as everything gets powered up and running (with the exception of the ram of course) can it?
that is what i thought at first until i change the processor

Mr. Elmo
12-08-2004, 04:45 AM
ok...it might be the cpu (hoping its not)...i just received a new board, gigabyte 7nf-rz and after it boots up once, it stop working. now, i press the power button and all it does is it boot up for 2 seconds (fans/hsf spins, hdd starts going to work) then shuts off....however, i suspect this might be a heating issue with the board. i thought this was odd and thought it might be a heating issue so i put my finger on the "nvidia" chipset on the mobo....oh boy was that a bad idea...it literally burnt the skin off of my thumb.

but back to the old mobo, after i ordered the new mobo, i took out the cpu and put it back in...and it worked. so it might be the cpu being loose from its socket. but now, it stop working again. WTF :angry: :angry: :angry: i tried repositioning the cpu into its socket again, this time it didnt help.

now im stumped...is it the mobo or is it the cpu. hoping its not the cpu because i dont want to spend anymore money.

EDIT:forgot to say i tried a different psu...same prob

tesco
12-08-2004, 01:14 PM
how many watts are these PSUs you are trying.
It really sounds like a power problem...

Mr. Elmo
12-08-2004, 05:44 PM
one is 300, one is 500

if the cpu was defective, would it still heat up ? im asking because even though the comp doesnt post, the cpu still heats up (took the hsf off and put my fnger on it, it was quite warm). so right now, i think the cpu works, the psu work (dnt think its a power issue because i disconnected everything except cpu, mobo and vid and it still would not post), the rams work, the vid work....that leaves me with 2 defective motherboard?