PDA

View Full Version : system slowed to a crawl

whiterook-2
12-02-2004, 10:06 AM
This may be long winded (ok, it is) but...

For some reason my system has slowed way down... it's like I don't have any memory, or a processor problem.

If I use photoshop with anything else running, and draw a simple line, it segments... as if it were lag.
If I use the "add remove programs", anything I try to remove takes 10 full minutes just to start the file reading process.
If I try to load a program...same thing, 10 full minutes before it starts the installation.
Winamp takes forever to play anything.
BTW, all these symptoms were never apparent before... I used to run several programs at one time (i.e. winamp, photoshop, and acrobat) all memory hogs ;)
I have two HHD's one w/ the OS and the other for apps and such... If I restart the system, I sometimes loose the second HHD, but then comes back when I fully shut down the computer.

Can I re-install the OS (XP Home) without loosing any data, or would that even be a possible answer?

I know any answers can be be varied depending on any number of scenarios, and this may not be the right board for this question, but I'm at a loss.

System:
Processor-Intel 1.6GHz
Memory- 1GB, 133's
OS- XP Home

OS HHD- 20GB w/ 7.7 GB free space
slave HHD- 160GB w/ 3 partitions - 1 @40GB w/ 27GB free... 1 @ 80GB w/ 17GB free... 1 @30GB w/ 7GB free (the remaining 10GB is in the 3rd partition which contains system "unmovable" files (or so it says)

I know it's a stretch trying to get an answer to such an involved question.. but Thanx for any help that may be offered

(edit to Mods: If this would be better in the "hardware" section would you please move it there... thanx)

Afronaut
12-02-2004, 10:28 AM
I think this is morelike a Software problem.

It sounds that you could have some malware (spyware and/or viris etc)
loose on the PC. Run some scans and see if something pops up.

Here's good tips about the issues:
The Ultimate Cleanup\Tweaking\Security Guide (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=73727)

And when you know you got a clean system, you could try the Repair option on the XP.
Atleast WinXp Pro has the "repair" option, to re-install without losing data.
Thats what I would try.

Just boot from the CD and you get a Menu where you have the option to Repair.

There's also option somehow (in windows) to check system files
if they're corrupted but I cant remember how.
I do re-install of whole Windows usually, if I get stuck somehow.
As I dont think those Repair and System File recovery tools are
good enough. I prefe ra "clean table" so to speak.
Of course, it means re-installing my apps too (which takes time)

:)

peat moss
12-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Gee were do you start? To check system files ,Go to run, type sfc /scannow. With your windows disk in the drive. I would try a System restore point aswell. Could be spyware , a virus, or just a dirty Registry. But as Afronaut, said Rossco's guide is great place to start. :)

tesco
12-02-2004, 12:55 PM
http://tvg.cjb.net/index.php?article=tuneup direct link to the tuneup section.
http://tvg.cjb.net/index.php?article=security you should also look at this section for how to scan for viruses, spyware and other bad stuff.

you may also want to look at the cleanup section.

whiterook-2
12-02-2004, 01:24 PM
thanx guys... I guess I should have included, I have run just about every online scan out there, as well as my own trend micro/spybot/ad-aware. I have '0' fragmented files on all drives.
Thanx Rossco... I've been lookin for those links, and couldn't remember where I saw them ;)
I'll give Afronaut's OS repair a try....might wait for a few days though...just convinced the wife we need another comp

Hello 915 express!! 3.4 ghz with a gig of ddr2 533's...Some days your the bug...other days your the windsheild :D

Afronaut
12-02-2004, 02:06 PM
thanx guys... I guess I should have included, I have run just about every online scan out there, as well as my own trend micro/spybot/ad-aware. I have '0' fragmented files on all drives.
Thanx Rossco... I've been lookin for those links, and couldn't remember where I saw them ;)
I'll give Afronaut's OS repair a try....might wait for a few days though...just convinced the wife we need another comp

Hello 915 express!! 3.4 ghz with a gig of ddr2 533's...Some days your the bug...other days your the windsheild :D

:lol:

Congrats with the new comp!!!

Excellent strategy:
1. Infect PC with crapware
2. Show the wife/mom/GF how slow it runs
3. Order new PC

:D

peat moss
12-03-2004, 01:33 AM

Ya but then you should still fix it . Mabye do a clean install. Because if your honey is anything like mine , you still get stuck with the second computer, the slow one! :P